HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Lockout in Effect. Thanks Gary/Donald! PART II

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

vCash: 500
Thanks Chancellor.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:03 PM
LECROSKIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
If they cancel by Nov.2, NHL has to pay 100k in rent money to University of Michigan (site of game), if they cancel after that date, NHL have to pay 3 mil.
thanks...you were my favorite piece of the Jagr trade.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LECROSKIN View Post
thanks...you were my favorite piece of the Jagr trade.
I'd bet you'd say the same thing to Ross Lupaschuk too.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
LECROSKIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I'd bet you'd say the same thing to Ross Lupaschuk too.
True..but def not Beech

Old
10-29-2012, 07:42 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Hey now... don't you talk that way about the next Ron Francis.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Thanks Chancellor.
I aim to please. Figured this place could use "a little levity, eh?"

Old
10-29-2012, 09:14 PM
invictus

Gosh, it is so long ago that Geno was schooling Luongo to win the opener last year. I was eating wings and having a damn good time.

The worst part is that our last game is going to be us getting eliminated by the Flyers. I want that taste out of my mouth!

Old
10-30-2012, 12:56 AM
SidTheKid8787

Russo scored a 30 minute or so interview with Fehr yesterday:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/176360081.html

The crazy thing is, Fehr flew out there. I mean, how many players are there(in Minny)? 20-25 or less(ETA:i guess its just over 30)? How hard is it to sit them in a room and conference call in? Maybe he has to calm nerves or something? Seemed odd to me.

And Mathieu Darche had a go at fans last night on twitter.
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40matdarche52&src=typd

Old
10-30-2012, 04:42 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post

The crazy thing is, Fehr flew out there. I mean, how many players are there(in Minny)? 20-25 or less(ETA:i guess its just over 30)? How hard is it to sit them in a room and conference call in? Maybe he has to calm nerves or something? Seemed odd to me.

Darche just made an even bigger fool out of himself.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:34 AM
vikingGoalie

Quote:

Fehr doesn't get it. He is never going to convince a sane person that 50-50 is unfair. The league wants him to negotiate off the stance that 50-50 now is in the cards. I'm wondering if Fehr ends up getting the heave-ho is what has to happen for a deal to be struck.

Any guy like that that thinks baseball's economics are great and detests salary caps. How can the players get someone like that to represent them?

Old
10-30-2012, 09:46 AM
vikingGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
This is awesome.

all hail the chancellor

tx for the humor.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

You bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
Fehr doesn't get it. He is never going to convince a sane person that 50-50 is unfair.

I think he's suggesting the totality of the owners' proposals is not reasonable but that stuff about convincing the fans of this or that, is all PR anyway.

Meantime, this quote is a head-shaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Daly
Not sure what we do now. It’s clear to us that if the PA always wanted a long lockout, they certainly have been successful in creating an environment to successfully achieve one.
Nice attempt to project one's own agenda onto the opposing side there, Bill. The lockout is the owners' hammer, not the players' hammer. Always.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Just read a bunch of the Darche - Angry Fan tweets. My impression: they're both making stupid arguments. It's unclear how well Darche understands the math but either way he should be sympathetic, not confrontational because he represents all players not just himself. I love the fan telling Darche not to worry how much he loses, reassuring him how "you'll be fine financially, so just give in and start playing for whatever the owners give you, because I make a lot less than you and therefore have the authority to presume what's best for you." (paraphrased logic)

I'm all for pointing out greedy tactics that kill a season but the reality is none of our salaries mean anything in this context. Except maybe in how we spend it on them (or not). Which is where all my prior comments about asserting our position on the lockout with our wallets, not our keyboards or YouTubes, came from. The only voice we have as fans is our money. Simple as that. The rest is just a lot of bluster for nothing. The NHLPA and NHL has had no reaction at all to any of the fan sites or complaints. They just don't give a ****, period. All we can do is either leave our wallets in our pockets when they come back or keep paying like nothing happened. Three times.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 10-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:

Yeah that's interesting. Hasn't Cullen been pretty against Fehr and the NHL? I'm wondering if he's gotten other players on board that a deal needs to get a deal done soon, and Fehr had to go over there to settle them down. That's probably going to be the only way a deal gets done, once enough players get fed-up with this game.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

1) What kind of concessions did the NFL and NBA give up to get their ~50/50 splits? I know the NFL diverted some of the their % to post-career stuff and lessening some of the workouts, but what else? As for the NBA, I have no clue what changed.

2) Were the escrow issues for the other leagues as a big sticking point for them or is just the way the NHL had it set up that the escrow is a large chunk compared to the other leagues?

Old
10-30-2012, 10:49 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
1) What kind of concessions did the NFL and NBA give up to get their ~50/50 splits? I know the NFL diverted some of the their % to post-career stuff and lessening some of the workouts, but what else? As for the NBA, I have no clue what changed.

2) Were the escrow issues for the other leagues as a big sticking point for them or is just the way the NHL had it set up that the escrow is a large chunk compared to the other leagues?

Per ESPN on the NBA CBA then and current and who they think wins. Good luck trying to figure out all of it. But also keep in mind it is still a bit apples v oranges because the NBA does not have a hard salary cap plus they can rid themselves of contracts in different ways.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
End of Line
Human After All

NHL Lockout: Donald Fehr says league to blame for stalled negotiations

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...d-negotiations

Right.....

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post

Right.....
Fehr catching up( while the NHL wanted to start and they weren't happy with waiting) and still not understanding the league cost the players a lot.

Who's too blame?

Actually, it's not even Fehr. It's pretty much a given he would need time to somewhat proceed/gather what he could on such notice/hiring, which there in lies the true culprit, The players themselves.

Hey guy's, how's it feel too screw yourselves?

Old
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Actually, it's not even Fehr. It's pretty much a given he would need time to somewhat proceed/gather what he could on such notice/hiring, which there in lies the true culprit, The players themselves.
Fehr took the job in Dec 2010 and had been an adviser before that.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Fehr took the job in Dec 2010 and had been an adviser before that.
Hey, I'm only reiterating what the man said, he needed time.

So he took the job earlier and was adviser before that, does it make it any better?

Thanks for the clarification though. I'm not up on some of the details as much as I should be I guess.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:32 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Hey, I'm only reiterating what the man said, he needed time.

So he took the job earlier and was adviser before that, does it make it any better?

Thanks for the clarification though. I'm not up on some of the details as much as I should be I guess.
Truthfully no. Whether Fehr was hired in December '10 or December '11, it was the PA decision to oust Paul Kelly for whatever reason and bring him in.

Also, I just wanted to correct you cause for some reason a lot of people seem to think Fehr took over like a month before the NHL wanted to talk last year. It has been said quite a few times on the Business Board and I'm not sure why, maybe because Fehr says he needed more time?

Old
10-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Truthfully no. Whether Fehr was hired in December '10 or December '11, it was the PA decision to oust Paul Kelly for whatever reason and bring him in.

Also, I just wanted to correct you cause for some reason a lot of people seem to think Fehr took over like a month before the NHL wanted to talk last year. It has been said quite a few times on the Business Board and I'm not sure why, maybe because Fehr says he needed more time?
That surely is it. Now that still only gives him say around 6 months of actual on the job time and his advising before that, it's still a lot of information too digest in that amount of time. Being an adviser is in no way knowing all the details he had too consume when he took over.

This is still on the board/players. It still caused delay. It might just cost them a season. They could have been playing for a 82 game season, not once, but twice had they started early.

Edit: Plus from what I read that the players and board didn't think Kelly was aggressive enough.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:37 AM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Personally I think he had plenty of time. He was advising when Kelly was fired. He had a year before the NHL started to ask about meeting. Plus, this isn't his first dog & pony show. He may have had to look up a few things, but he's smart enough to get to work right away.

One day when that story of Kelly's dismissal comes out, it is going to be very very interesting.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You bet.

I think he's suggesting the totality of the owners' proposals is not reasonable but that stuff about convincing the fans of this or that, is all PR anyway.

Meantime, this quote is a head-shaker.

Nice attempt to project one's own agenda onto the opposing side there, Bill. The lockout is the owners' hammer, not the players' hammer. Always.
I'm not sure I agree. If you look at it:

- the PA hired Fehr
- the stalled negotiations for a year
- they have STILL not told anyone what they really want

To me, this is a players lockout, they wanted this all along.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post

Right.....
It gets reallty exhausting listening to his crap.

Closed Thread