HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Planning Honeymoon in Vancouver

Old
04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
dtones520

vCash: 500
Planning Honeymoon in Vancouver

Hey, since it is officially the offseason for my team and yours, I figured it was a good time for me to post this here now.

My fiancé and I are getting married on October 6th and are planning on going to Vancouver for our Honeymoon. Looking for suggestions on where to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc. we are by no means rich, but are comfortable financially, so nothing too extravagant. Hopefully, there will be a Canucks home game going on that week, I'd love to be able to go to one (if the Wings were in town, I'd go nuts). Plus the Nucks are my second favorite team.

Funny story, my fiancé and I got engaged before the game where the Red Wings started their home winning streak and, as you all know, that streak ended against Vancouver. Pretty ironic, right?

Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated. Cheers!

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:08 PM
skeena1

Lots of good Vancouver-centric info here...poke around:

http://www.***********/r/vancouver/

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
Hey, since it is officially the offseason for my team and yours, I figured it was a good time for me to post this here now.

My fiancé and I are getting married on October 6th and are planning on going to Vancouver for our Honeymoon. Looking for suggestions on where to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc. we are by no means rich, but are comfortable financially, so nothing too extravagant. Hopefully, there will be a Canucks home game going on that week, I'd love to be able to go to one (if the Wings were in town, I'd go nuts). Plus the Nucks are my second favorite team.

Funny story, my fiancé and I got engaged before the game where the Red Wings started their home winning streak and, as you all know, that streak ended against Vancouver. Pretty ironic, right?

I would stay downtown. It is very central, nice hotels, access to transit, etc etc.

Wetcoaster can probably go nuts with restaurant recommendations.

I don't want to rain on any parades but our weather at that time might. It gets pretty crummy in Vancity once October comes around. Just wanted to give you some fair warning. If you want the best of Vancouver, middle of summer or once ski season has started are best,....

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
keslerburrows

Wait for the user Wetcoaster to post. He will give a full schedule of hourly activities and such

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
John Bender

If you are really interested in getting a good sense of the real culture that inhabits downtown Vancouver, try the Budget Patricia Inn, on the downtown Eastside.

John Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Weather sucks in Vancouver from October-April.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
If you are really interested in getting a good sense of the real culture that inhabits downtown Vancouver, try the Budget Patricia Inn, on the downtown Eastside.
OK, I'll place this warning once and that's it. These kind of posts are:

A) Unfunny and tired.

B) Spammish.

C) Not nice.

If you have nothing constructive to add, don't post in these type of threads.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

Go to one of the restaurants on Grouse. Try to pick a day when it's not cloudy (if you can't see the mountain from down below, you won't be able to see the nice view from the top). It seems self explanatory, but when I used to work up there it was amazing how many people were surprised about this.

Stay downtown as others have said, it's got most of everything you need (restaurants, spas, shopping, entertainment.....).

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
thefeebster

Why can't we have a Visiting Vancouver thread stickied like most of the other team's forums on HF? Seems like every few weeks someone is wondering about this and what to do here...

I go to other team's forums when i plan to go there. Having a consolidated post might be helpful, then we can answer specific questions thereafter. And Wetcoaster will only have to post his list once!

It is quite rainy in October, dreary i'd say. Bring some rainboots and an umbrella. I'd stay downtown, easily accessible to shopping, good restaurants, close to the stadium and more importantly transit should you wish to venture out.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Go to one of the restaurants on Grouse. Try to pick a day when it's not cloudy (if you can't see the mountain from down below, you won't be able to see the nice view from the top). It seems self explanatory, but when I used to work up there it was amazing how many people were surprised about this.

Stay downtown as others have said, it's got most of everything you need (restaurants, spas, shopping, entertainment.....).
That is just sad. Do these people think clouds are transparent from above?

A "honeymoonish" activity you should definitely check out is canoeing/kayaking at Deep Cove in North Vancouver. On a sunny day the area is just beautiful.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Yammer

The Pan Pacific hotel has great views and a good location. For restaurants, IMHO the top room in town is Vij's which is an Indian fusion upscale menu with gracious hosting by Vikram Vij...check out the reviews. It really opened my mind to what indian food could be. For a Sunday brunch or lunch I recommend dim sum at Sun Sui Wah on Main, not the greatest decor or ambiance but excellent Cantonese. If you are into sushi, Vancouver has some excellent places, Tojo is the most hyped but Shiro on Cambie is less intimidatingly expensive and just as good. For French cuisine there is not a lot going but the Market by Jean-George's is very good.

I would say food wise just have an open mind. As this is an Asian city more or less, there are these little places that turn out incredible things, I have no idea what is in them half the time but they are delicious. For example, the Tung Hing bakery on Kingsway in East Vancouver makes these cheap and astoundingly tasty footling baguette sandwiches called bahn mi. I eat them at least once a month and don't feel right unless I do.

Anyway, use tripadvisor, yelp.ca and chowhound for food recommendations. There's nothing wrong with going to an Earls or Keg but there is so much more here than the same old same old.

Vancouver has practically no architecture worth looking at and the Art Gallery is quite small, you'll blow through it in an hour, so get a car and drive up to nature, that's really vancouvers calling card. That and the weed. Capilano Heights Suspension Bridge is nice and convenient to Grouse Mountain which is a must, but you can get a similar experience for free at Lynn Canyon park.

Hope you have a great time here.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:33 PM
dtones520

Thanks for the input so far. I was just looking at plane tickets for different spots in Canada and realized it is cheaper to fly from Detroit to Vancouver than it is to fly from Detroit to Toronto or Montreal. So weird...

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:46 PM
DuncanKeithsElbow

LOVE the Vancouver Aquarium. Although I dunno how the aquarium is in Detroit so maybe ours pales by comparison =P. If the Detroit one isn't nice though I would definitely recommend checking ours out.

DuncanKeithsElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Supposedly if you get a reservation at the restaurant on Grouse, you can get the fee for the Skyride (gondola) waived.

The weather in early October could go either way: Indian summer can often extend into the early fall, but it's equally likely that the rains will start early.

As a local, I don't know too much about the hotels, but I'm sure that the Shangri-La would be great for a honeymoon; it's one of the newest hotels and is in a good spot.

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
AvantiCanada*

October-November is Coho and Chum salmon fishing.

I would book a charter right out of Vanouver harbour.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:14 PM
GTHP95

Places to go and see:

Metrotown Centre in Burnaby (shopping)
Robson Strip (shopping)
Pacific Centre (shopping)
Gastown (sight-seeing)
Granville Strip (night-life)
Stanley Park (make sure you take a long walk on the sea-wall like #1)
Fright Nights at the PNE (if its not too cold)
Cypress View (if you want to see the lower main-land)

Places to eat in:

Guu is on Robson St. (they serve good Japanese tapas)
Japadog is on Robson St. ( specialize in Japanese style hotdogs)
Portobello Ristaurante is on Broadway and Granville ( awesome Italian)
Au Petite is on Main and 33rd (great Vietnamese food) *go for the banh mi*
Sun Sui Wah is on Main and 23rd (good dim sum and Chinese food)
Stepho's Greek Restaurant is on Davie St. (if you want to try Greek)
Gotham's Steak House is in downtown (if you want to try $50 steaks)

Hope you enjoy your visit. Cheers.

GTHP95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Something that might be helpful.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post45504329

04-25-2012, 10:21 PM
DuncanKeithsElbow

Do you like sushi? Vancouver is known for their amazing sushi. Go to Kamei Royale and order:
-Garlic Pepper Tuna
-Beef Tataki

They also serve Live Lobster there if you want to try something REALLY exotic. It's not something I eat though since I find it a bit cruel, but you can't get sashimi much fresher than one thats still alive..

DuncanKeithsElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Zammer

I haven't seen it recommended yet, but you should check out the Capilano Suspension bridge, it's pretty fun

Zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:09 PM
express

As far as places to stay go... definitely stay downtown.

If your budget allows it, stay at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. It's a beautiful old building in a central location. It's one of the top Hotels in Vancouver though, so make sure to check the price.

Another recommendation would be the Westin in Coal Harbour. It's right on the corner of downtown, on the Stanley Park side, so the views of the park and mountains are spectacular.

express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:13 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
I wasn't sure if you were serious or not. There are a lot of cool places to check out on the downtown east side - including one or two of the cheaper hotels. Not sure you'd want to stay there on a honeymoon though.

Gotta agree with whoever said Oct-April is too wet. Chances are you won't forget your honeymoon. Come to Van during the summer.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:37 AM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post

Canucks tickets are quite pricey, among the most expensive in the league, IIRC. I know how expensive weddings can be, so set aside a good few hundred dollars if you plan to see the Canucks here, fyi.

Wetcoaster is the guy to ask about restaurants and touristy stuff. He's wined and dined his way from one end of town to the other. Just drop him a pm or wait until he sees this thread. He'll send you a wall of text on the subject.

A few points though: Gastown is nice and touristy; the surrounding area is NOT. The downtown eastside is the ass of the city. I understand Detroit can be a pretty rough town (don't know, never been there, just saying) and maybe it'd be nothing to you, but I can't see anyone wanting to hang around meth/crackheads, bums, disgusting hookers and the like on their honeymoon so stick to Water street and resist temptation to roam around down there after dark. Vancouver doesn't really have any "Fear for your life" dangerous ghettos like a lot of US cities and we don't have all the guns floating around, but take care of your valuables and be very careful where you park your car. Vancouver is very safe in terms of violent crime, but it's top 5 in North America for property crime.

If you're around for any length of time, something to consider might also be a day trip to one of the gulf islands. I spent my honeymoon on Galiano Island. Beautiful spot.

Also, if you're not renting a car and will be riding the buses and skytrain to get around, here's a few helpful hints to ensure you blend in as a local:
  1. Display no familiarity with the destination or fares. Under no circumstances should you look up a route on translink's website. Stare vacantly at transit maps, especially when other people are behind you.
  2. Everyone want to hear your conversation all the time. Especially if you're on a cellphone. It's loud on the bus; raise your voice! Don't be shy, we all want to know the status of Aunt Lily's hysterectomy!
  3. Remember, that seat isn't good enough for you. Or anyone else. Upon encountering an empty seat, you must stand in front of it instead of sitting down. Everyone in Vancouver has a desk job that involves no actual physical work, so we all like to stand as much as possible. Your mission is to guard that seat if it's empty, so on no account should you move out of the way and let anyone else sit in it unless you see missing limbs.
  4. The back of the bus is a scary, scary place. No matter how many people are trying to cram on in the front, you must walk to the back door, cast a terrified look at the back, then stand in front of the door so nobody can get past you to the empty seats at the back. Those aren't people sitting back there; they're scary monsters who will eat you the second your body climbs up the two steps to the back. It is your sacred duty to protect your fellow bus riders from their horror; ignore any attempts people might make to brush past you to get to the back. Remember, you're doing them a favour.
  5. The above works especially well with a backpack. On no account should you remove a backpack and put it on the ground. You are exposing people to horrible things if you do. We want to know what your backpack feels like being the outdoorsy folks we are, so keep it on and turn around abruptly as much as possible.
  6. We also want to know what your taste in music is. Crank any iPods up to full volume. If you walk onto a bus or skytrain and hear anyone else's iPod, this means a challenge has been issued. Both of you must turn your music up as high as it will go, and the winner gets the most frowns and exasperated looks.
  7. Read the paper. Preferably the Sun. It's the full-sized daily, so there's no way to read it without assaulting the person next to you. We all love that.
  8. If you ignore my advice and decide to go through the downtown eastside, you'll not only need to look like a local but smell like one too. Mix equal parts goat urine, hydroponic marijuana, and the cheapest rum you can find and roll around in it for a few minutes before boarding.
  9. Vancouver transit functions on Solipism; the philosophical view that your consciousness is the only thing that truly exists and everything else is a product of your imagination. When a skytrain door opens, do not wait for anyone to get off the train before attempting to enter the car yourself. Those people trying to get off the train around you don't really exist. If you're an Asian woman under 5'5" and over 50, you have the civic right to shove onto any train that comes along with your elbows out like you're in the mosh pit at a Ministry concert. It's in the bylaws or something.
  10. Remember, the door it where it's at. It's the best place to stand no matter what. Not the middle of the aisle where people can get by you.
  11. At many skytrain stations, you'll see people waving copies of the Metro and 24 at you. It's Vancouver's official free toilet paper. Don't mind the ink, no one else does.

Yeah, that's about it. A quick google search will reveal Vancouver's many tourist attractions and activities. Granville Island is worth the trip over the bridge from downtown, and during October most of the tourist hordes have packed up and gone home. Hope you enjoy your stay.

*edit* Oh, and stay the hell away from the Patricia. That was a really bad joke.

Last edited by ProstheticConscience: 04-26-2012 at 12:47 AM.
ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:43 AM
VanCanucks14

Wasn't this October really nice? Beginning of October isn't too bad for the rain.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Wasn't this October really nice? Beginning of October isn't too bad for the rain.
To me, September and the first two weeks of October are the city at it's best.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Don't miss White Rock.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote