HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART I

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 02:58 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
Are people surprised Bennett hasn't looked amazing so far? He made a big step from NCAA to AHL hockey (and this year it's more AHL plus) and it had been almost a year since he'd played a competitive game.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Valarukar

I think it also helps BB that he has a very high playmaking ability and isn't just a pure scorer since pure scorers seem to peak before 25, so no rush.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:54 PM
johnniewalker

WTF Craig Patrick, Randy Robitaille is putting up 15 P in 20 GP in the KHL!?!?

That must mean that Craig Hillier was a bust... oh wait...

Old
10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

What exactly has Kuznetsov done that says he is a better player than Bennett? Except for playing in the 4th best league in the world. The AHL is the closets you are going to get to the NHL. Christ a handful of games & its "why weezz nozzz draftzzz rusian sniperzz like my NHL 13!!!!???" Get a grip.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:38 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
What exactly has Kuznetsov done that says he is a better player than Bennett? Except for playing in the 4th best league in the world. The AHL is the closets you are going to get to the NHL. Christ a handful of games & its "why weezz nozzz draftzzz rusian sniperzz like my NHL 13!!!!???" Get a grip.
Hmm let's see, he's the TOP PROSPECT outside of the NHL

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...spect-rankings

Old
10-23-2012, 06:50 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post

What's better? A mid-tier prospect in the NHL, or a top prospect who never played in the NHL?

Old
10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

According to ESPN. Right now BB is getting a head start at the pro game. The author even says it's PROSPECT list. At one time Rico Fata was a top prospect. Stop trying to dog Shero before you even see the results.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:

Kuznetsov is a better prospect, but I'm not sure I understand your criticism of the pick. With Bennett, the Pens showed that they weren't totally averse to selecting a skilled forward prospect in the 1st round, even if he might not end up becoming the best.

But most importantly, BB is only 4 games into his pro career after playing a mere 10 games last season. I wouldn't make a definitive judgment on the kid just yet.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

i'd expect this kind of discussion regarding Sneep but not Bennett. i guess it's all about prognosticating the next bust, so you can prove you know more than the experts. i worry about those types. they might pull a muscle patting themselves on the back.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:21 PM
clefty
What?

Bennett is exactly the kind of player this place complains about when we don't draft them.

If his name was Boris Bennetov from Moscow, everyone would be all over his jock.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Bennett is exactly the kind of player this place complains about when we don't draft them.

If his name was Boris Bennetov from Moscow, everyone would be all over his jock.
Exactly. "We want boom or bust skill guys...but only European ones."

Old
10-23-2012, 07:32 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
What leagues other than the NHL are better?

Old
10-23-2012, 07:35 PM
clefty
What?

And what's funny is that in the draft thread that year, I remember people getting really annoyed when Austin Watson went two picks earlier. Again, exactly the kind of player this place complains about when we DO draft them.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:27 PM
KareemTrustfund
The Leader

Quote:
Did you not see the WJC a year or two ago when he completely dominated?

Also, whoever made those Kennedy comparisons of Bennett are so far off I don't even think I have to explain why.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemTrustfund View Post
Did you not see the WJC a year or two ago when he completely dominated?

Also, whoever made those Kennedy comparisons of Bennett are so far off I don't even think I have to explain why.
Without actually going back and looking I believe Kennedy was compared to Ferrieo not Bennett.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I wrote him off due to playing such limited number of games during the prime development years of his career vs his competition. BB is already 20yo.

If you don't think Kuznetzov will eventually be an NHL allstar (or similar caliber) after scoring .8 ppg as a 20yo in the KHL, then I don't know what to tell you. He has already played 128 KHL games vs BB's 4 AHL games to date.

Just compare his KHL production to known NHL players. Would anyone think that BB could score at a higher rate than Malkin in any league? Kunetzov is currently.
http://awinninghabit.com/2012/10/22/khl-advanced-stats/

TK (at age 20) was already in his 2nd AHL season and averaged almost 1ppg there. BB will be lucky to even reach TK's level. You must wrap your head around how far behind he is in games played at his age vs other players. He won't catch up until after his prime (if he ever does).

The hindsight argument is a great one that you guys use. It's not like anyone evaluated the BB pick at that time and didn't have a big ?WTF? in their head. (I know I sure did).
I'll bet you did.

Quote:
I suspect the Radulov incident has caused RS to completely ignore most European talent at the draft.
it's well known that Shero attempted to trade up that year because he had his eye on Tarasenko. You have such a good memory of the draft, it's weird you forgot that.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I read in Dobber Hockey's prospect guide that BB can surf switch foot and Kuznetzov can't.... Poser.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
And what's funny is that in the draft thread that year, I remember people getting really annoyed when Austin Watson went two picks earlier. Again, exactly the kind of player this place complains about when we DO draft them.
Pre-draft hype is a huge factor too.

People cared more about Anton Zlobin than Teddy Bluegers. But hey those handful of games played in the Memorial Cup for the hivermind to witness definitely aren't the reason for people caring more about a boom/bust pick in the 6th than 2nd.

Ties into the Maatta was a great pick for being a "steal" while Pouliot is still **** on for being a " reach". Again to be fair, pre-draft rankings generally vindicate the hindsighters doubts a few years removed the draft

Old
10-24-2012, 09:32 AM
JTG

People can ***** about the Pouliot pick, and that's fine. I mean, he wasn't my first choice in that spot. The facts are this though...his skillset represents the most valuable asset in the NHL today (puck moving, point producing defensemen), and the organization was able to get a phenomenal read on him since they were watching a lot of his games due to him playing on the same team as our top prospect. What the kid lacks can be taught. From everything I've read, he's smaller now, but he's a kid. He can very well bulk up, and even grow a bit. You aren't finished growing at 17-18 years old. Defensive zone coverages can be taught, and honestly, if he's playing under DB, he's going to look WAY better in this system than many others. It completely caters to how he plays the game.

At worst, we have a great trade chip in Pouliot. He has the pedigree, and he can produce points. Any team would take a guy with natural offensive ability. Pouliot has it in him to be a great top 4 defenseman, and an elite PPQB. He may not have been what this fanbase was clamoring for, but at least the organization made an educated decision with him, and knew, probably more than any other prospect on the board, what they were going to get due to the amount of viewings they had.

I think with Bennett, people are completely throwing out the window that he has missed a lot of hockey with injury, and are also using his draft position against him in regards to his development. Just because a guy is drafted in the first round doesn't mean that he should be in the NHL in 2 years and ripping it up. Bennett is going to need 2 or 3 years in the minors. If he does well this year, that timeline may be cut down a bit, but don't bet on it. He was a raw, boom-or-bust guy when drafted, and that hasn't changed. People can also stat watch and complain about how he hasn't produced, but fact is, that entire WBS team hasn't produced, and through 4 games, Bennett had 2 points which tied him for the team lead. He's also in a brand new city, in a brand new organization, playing in a brand new league that is a few notches higher than any league he's every played in. Cut him some slack. If he has 7 points in 40 games, then I'd start to worry.

I think, at the very least, Beau Bennett can be a Michel Ouellete for this team, who can complement top 6 talent, and score some goals. His skating deficiencies don't scare me a bit. That stuff can be easily improved on, and we've seen it numerous times in this organization that skating camps and what not have vastly improved a players skating. Much like with Pouliot, Bennett has attributes you cannot teach. He has great hands, a very good shot, and some savvy in the offensive zone. The organization can bulk him up, and work on his skating no problem.

Last edited by JTG: 10-24-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old
10-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Penguinzilla

Quote:
Kuznetsov is awesome. I would trade Bennett and one of our D prospects and other stuff for him.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:30 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
go back to playing NHL 2013.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:21 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinzilla View Post
Kuznetsov is awesome. I would trade Bennett and one of our D prospects and other stuff for him.
unless you're convinced he's coming over to North America then that would be a stupid move.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
unless you're convinced he's coming over to North America then that would be a stupid move.
I would take that chance. That's no slight to Bennett...Kuznetsov is really a phenomenal prospect. He's been outstanding in international competition against the best of his peers, and has already proven himself a star in the 2nd best league in the world.

It's a chance worth taking for arguably the best prospect on earth.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 10-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 09:29 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Why are we talking about trading for a prospect that absolutely isn't available?

You guys are crazy sometimes.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Sivek

I'd definitely do a Bennett+Despres for Kuznetsov deal in a heartbeat. As already said, Kuznetsov has proven to be an outstanding player at every level outside the NHL and I'll be truly surprised if he's not an impact player in the NHL very early in his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Why are we talking about trading for a prospect that absolutely isn't available?

You guys are crazy sometimes.

Barely a month into the lockout, just wait for the type of great conversation that will be going on come December. I'm already down for figuring out the lock-out draft possibilities as we speak.

WBS-wise, Bortuzzo skated with the team but was a no-contact guy in practice.

Closed Thread