HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART I

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 07:59 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I see some Jarkko Ruutu in him as well, he kind of has that little mischievous streak in his game. He drives guys nuts in subtle and not so subtle ways.
Yeah him too. He's just all over the place in a good way. He's becoming one of my favorite prospects.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

3-0 Paul Thompson empty netter

Old
11-02-2012, 08:42 PM
steelcityassault

Highlights from 3-0 shutout win in Manchester:

Goals from Tangradi (6), Reese (1), Thompson (3, EN)

Tangradi is on an absolute roll. Five goals in his last five games, and is tied for 2nd in the entire league in goals.

Bortuzzo's 1st game of the year, back from injury. Him and Strait are NASTY. You can't score on them, really.

Despres was very tough tonight, throwing nice hits. Also insanely mobile. Just skates the puck out of danger with awesome cuts past the forecheckers.

Dominik Uher is forechecking relentlessly. Grinding them down. Every shift with a passion.

Zatkoff showed why he's one of the best goalies outside of the NHL right now. 33 save shutout against a team with NHL players on it.

The entire team has finally learned the system it seems, so this should be fun to watch from here on out!

Sneep and Veilleux headed to Wheeling. In KV's case for conditioning, so he's ready for some AHL competition very soon

Old
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

sounds good.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:59 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Really hoping Veilleux can put his injury proneness behind him (at least to the extent that he doesn't miss full seasons anymore).

Old
11-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Sutter16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Really hoping Veilleux can put his injury proneness behind him (at least to the extent that he doesn't miss full seasons anymore).
I hope your right. i have not given up on Veilleux yet. He has some potental.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:56 AM
MonsterSurge

VEILLEUX IS HEADED TO WHEELING?!?!?!? OMG. Headed to Reading or Toledo next week.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
finally some Sneep news. i worry about him in Wheeling. i wouldn't want Reid McNeil to dull the luster of his star.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:29 AM
deakka

Uher and Tangradi had a great game. Dumoulin, Strait, Bortuzzo was as steady as it gets, and looking close to NHL ready all 3 of them. Would like to see more of Morrow tho.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:38 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Uher and Tangradi had a great game. Dumoulin, Strait, Bortuzzo was as steady as it gets, and looking close to NHL ready all 3 of them. Would like to see more of Morrow tho.
Good to see Bortuzzo back. Him and Strait work well together. Dumoulin looked really good tonight also but Morrow still looks lost in the D-zone. It's going to take him a while. Definetly not even close to NHL ready.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Good to see Bortuzzo back. Him and Strait work well together. Dumoulin looked really good tonight also but Morrow still looks lost in the D-zone. It's going to take him a while. Definetly not even close to NHL ready.
I'd like to see how they work as a pairing against NHL competition.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
Highlights from 3-0 shutout win in Manchester:

Goals from Tangradi (6), Reese (1), Thompson (3, EN)

Tangradi is on an absolute roll. Five goals in his last five games, and is tied for 2nd in the entire league in goals.

Bortuzzo's 1st game of the year, back from injury. Him and Strait are NASTY. You can't score on them, really.

Despres was very tough tonight, throwing nice hits. Also insanely mobile. Just skates the puck out of danger with awesome cuts past the forecheckers.

Dominik Uher is forechecking relentlessly. Grinding them down. Every shift with a passion.

Zatkoff showed why he's one of the best goalies outside of the NHL right now. 33 save shutout against a team with NHL players on it.

The entire team has finally learned the system it seems, so this should be fun to watch from here on out!

Sneep and Veilleux headed to Wheeling. In KV's case for conditioning, so he's ready for some AHL competition very soon
Encouraging.

In the spirit of American Democracy:

"Tyler Kennedy's views on shooting from the half-wall and having sexual relations with his stick are too Extreme and out of touch. Kennedy voted twice to take on Top 6 responsibility, before he voted against it. Vote Tango for Top 6! A community hero in touch with today's citizens."

Paid for by Citizens for Twine.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I can't help but be excited with the way Tangradi's been playing. Hopefully this is his breakout season which vaults him to full-time NHL duty whenever we see NHL hockey again.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Yeah, Morrow definitely needs some time. But you can see the talent and potential, especially on the powerplay. His shot causes a ton of havoc, that's something the NHL Pens have been missing since Gonchar started having his injury troubles.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
I can't help but be excited with the way Tangradi's been playing. Hopefully this is his breakout season which vaults him to full-time NHL duty whenever we see NHL hockey again.
But will he be allowed time to grow? It seems any time he's on the PP for instance, if he makes any sort of mistake, he immediately gets taken off it. Gotta let him learn the NHL game.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
I think the Pens have a vastly different system than Portland, so it's not too surprising he's having some D-zone struggles.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
But will he be allowed time to grow? It seems any time he's on the PP for instance, if he makes any sort of mistake, he immediately gets taken off it. Gotta let him learn the NHL game.
Waiver-eligible players really have to earn their stripes under Bylsma. I'd wager Tangradi will get better opportunities once the NHL gets going again.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I think the Pens have a vastly different system than Portland, so it's not too surprising he's having some D-zone struggles.
Plus, Morrow is only a year removed from his draft.. most in his class have returned to juniors/college/Europe for another season. And this is a suped-up AHL right now.

Probably not surprising that Dumoulin has made an easier transition, he's older, bigger and plays a simpler style.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
JTG

Add to that, WBS plays a defensive scheme similar to the one the Pens do, if not exactly the same, and it is notoriously hard to learn. A big reason why Dumoulin is probably looking pretty good in it is that BC played a very similar style the whole time he was there...right from Dumoulin's mouth actually.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:41 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Add to that, WBS plays a defensive scheme similar to the one the Pens do, if not exactly the same, and it is notoriously hard to learn. A big reason why Dumoulin is probably looking pretty good in it is that BC played a very similar style the whole time he was there...right from Dumoulin's mouth actually.
I wouldn't call what the Pens ran last year a "scheme". It was more chase players around & leave the middle of the ice wide open.

Zatkoff looked good. With him & Matt Murray playing impressively Shero did a good job at getting some talent into a talent starved posistion in little time. Murray, Zatkoff, Vokoun, not a bad off season.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:50 PM
JTG

No, with Zatkoff and Murray...I'm pretty happy with the goaltending prospects as of right now. Too early to tell if either has starter potential, but they may, which is good.

And the Pens do have a defensive "scheme." Whether they have the players to execute it or not is another question. That being said, with the collection of defensemen that Shero has built, and the skating and puck moving ability the collection has...DB's system is really perfect for them. You have a bunch of big, strong guys who are incredible skaters, and can move the puck. Of all the defensemen we have, I think Simon Despres fits it best.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see the scheme tweaked a bit. I'd like to see a more aggressive zone than we play now, but again, I think that has a ton to do with the personnel.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:30 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
No, with Zatkoff and Murray...I'm pretty happy with the goaltending prospects as of right now. Too early to tell if either has starter potential, but they may, which is good.

And the Pens do have a defensive "scheme." Whether they have the players to execute it or not is another question. That being said, with the collection of defensemen that Shero has built, and the skating and puck moving ability the collection has...DB's system is really perfect for them. You have a bunch of big, strong guys who are incredible skaters, and can move the puck. Of all the defensemen we have, I think Simon Despres fits it best.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see the scheme tweaked a bit. I'd like to see a more aggressive zone than we play now, but again, I think that has a ton to do with the personnel.
There's no such thing. All we do is chase which is why better teams beat us. You will never, ever win that battle. The player with the puck has the positioning & all the advantage. Look at every team that went deep into the playoffs. They collapse around the net & let the goalie make the easy saves from bad angles.

The closer your players chase towards the boards the more space there is in the middle of the ice which is the most dangerous area of the ice.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:42 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
There's no such thing. All we do is chase which is why better teams beat us. You will never, ever win that battle. The player with the puck has the positioning & all the advantage. Look at every team that went deep into the playoffs. They collapse around the net & let the goalie make the easy saves from bad angles.

The closer your players chase towards the boards the more space there is in the middle of the ice which is the most dangerous area of the ice.

There is a such thing.

We chase because we have defensemen who cannot play the body. If you have a bunch of guy's like Despres, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo, Strait, and to a lesser extent, Morrow...they're going to X guys out, and it's really easy to keep tabs on a guy who is sitting on his ass.

When these guys are ready, we will no longer have this limp wristed defense where guys are getting stick checked and half hearted cross checked down low. We're going to have a bunch of big, strong, fast defensemen who can move pucks, and will never hesitate to punish someone. If you come in their quadrant...you will get hit.

I vehemently believe that the complete collapse of this system isn't the system itself, but the guys playing it. This is the same system that steamrolled through the East, and beat Detroit. Difference is...we had guys who were defensively responsible then, and played a tough game.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:59 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
There is a such thing.

We chase because we have defensemen who cannot play the body. If you have a bunch of guy's like Despres, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo, Strait, and to a lesser extent, Morrow...they're going to X guys out, and it's really easy to keep tabs on a guy who is sitting on his ass.

When these guys are ready, we will no longer have this limp wristed defense where guys are getting stick checked and half hearted cross checked down low. We're going to have a bunch of big, strong, fast defensemen who can move pucks, and will never hesitate to punish someone. If you come in their quadrant...you will get hit.

I vehemently believe that the complete collapse of this system isn't the system itself, but the guys playing it. This is the same system that steamrolled through the East, and beat Detroit. Difference is...we had guys who were defensively responsible then, and played a tough game.
I completely disagree. Martin, Michalek, Orpik, Letang...these guys were all considered number 1 D-men until we put this asinine system in place. I'm sorry but I'm not afraid to call Bylsma out for his short comings & zone defense is one of them. I know it's still popular to go "It was all Paul Martin. Even when he was in the press box" but seeing what we do compared to what the better defensive team do you can see we are constantly chasing players out of position instead of sticking to their zone. There is no reason we should have Defense men chasing guys to the point & we did on a consistent basis last year.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I completely disagree. Martin, Michalek, Orpik, Letang...these guys were all considered number 1 D-men until we put this asinine system in place. I'm sorry but I'm not afraid to call Bylsma out for his short comings & zone defense is one of them. I know it's still popular to go "It was all Paul Martin. Even when he was in the press box" but seeing what we do compared to what the better defensive team do you can see we are constantly chasing players out of position instead of sticking to their zone. There is no reason we should have Defense men chasing guys to the point & we did on a consistent basis last year.
I agree that D was a problem, but I'm not so sure we should automatically blame Dan. If he was running some kind of man-to-man, then yeah I'd be on board. I've never heard, seen or played that ever. But if he's teaching the basic zone and guys are blatantly ignoring it (D chasing guys to the blue line, wingers below the faceoff dots, etc.) then that's on the players.

Regardless, The whole team needs to be more disciplined in the d zone. Too many breakdowns last year.

Closed Thread