HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART I

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Lixxiq
@Lixxiq

vCash: 500
Just let Joe Morrow play and develop...

Old
11-10-2012, 08:02 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Keven Veilleux scored his first goal of the season. Wheeling lost to Toledo 5-2.
I was at the Nailers game last night. My seats were close to the glass so I was not in an ideal place to give a scouting report. Also, I got there 10 min late so if something happened at the beginning of the game, I missed it. That withstanding, I was able to make some observations:

- The Nailers did not look very good at all. They are overall a pretty slow skating team. I'm not sure if they even generated one (1) odd man break during the game? Most of their shots came from the outside, and the majority of those were not on net. They did do a decent job of getting traffic in front of the goal, but that doesn't work if you can't get your shots on net.

- Veilleux was disappointing overall, but I will not be too harsh on him since he just came back from an extended time off. His goal came off of a (borderline) 3 on 2 rush. He was the trailing player coming down the slot, but the player carrying the puck took the shot on goal. Not sure if he flubbed it or not as it didn't have much velocity, but it created a rebound and with a couple players crashing the net, Veilleux was the one who put the puck in the net. Yes, in terms of going to the net, he was consistent at that aspect of the game. Also, he had a great takeaway in the offensive zone later on that led to a good scoring chance.

However, his skating was choppy didn't seem to allow him to separate himself from the other players when he had the puck on his stick (which honestly was not enough for my liking). Additionally, he was playing most of the game from the red line out. He was regularly doing the fake skate back into his zone and pivoting at the red line looking for an outlet pass. It showed not much desire to play team defense. Additionally, on one play he DID hustle to get back in the play and was directed to cover the guy coming down the left circle. He did this until he got to the slot and then for some unexpected reason broke towards the puck carrier and left his guy wide open. Luckily, that guy never got the puck, but it was a poor show of judgement in the situation. Later on in the game he made a nice play to battle off two defenders and get a decent shot on goal from the blue line. In summary, he left me wanting more out of him.

- I watched Sneep closely as well. I am actually a fan of his, but he played a pretty uninspiring game. Sadly, this matched the uninspired look that most of the team had (although, since the arena was around 25% capacity, I suppose I would have been disappointed as well). He took a bad borderline boarding penalty late in the game that broke the tie and ultimately led to the loss. I call it a bad penalty because the Nailers had a legit one called against them earlier in the game and it took very little to find an even-up call. Sneep did seem to be positionally strong on D, but he was not physical at all and waited way too late in the game to start joining the rush. You can actually see his strength when he would join the rush as he actually has some decent hands. Also, he was on the ice for at least 1 other goal against.

- Kileen gave up 1 soft goal. The shot was from around the left circle, must have been tipped right at the shot, and fluttered over Kileen's glove and into the goal. He has to have better reaction than that if he wants to play at a higher level. Now there may have been some other nuance to the shot that I missed, but it was definitely a slow moving puck. He seems to over-anticipate many shots. I also noticed him backing into the goal line a little early many plays. His crease movement just needs a lot more work. He did had a few fantastic saves. One was a cross crease pass and he was able butterfly slide right and extend his right pad to shut down a sure goal. I was impressed with his ability to do such as there was very little time to react. The 5th goal was empty net.

- That's about all I can remember. The other notable player was Christiaan Minella who actually looked like he wanted to be there. He played a very physical game, but perhaps I only noticed him because of the long hair?

Old
11-10-2012, 09:05 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Is there a reason why Morrow and Uher are scratched again?
I suppose it's because his defensive game has been subpar and others are much better. When he finally gets it he will play. We have other prospects and players that are more deserving of ice time right now. I'm not as excited about Farnum and MacIntyre being out there as other fans are. Neither one can put the puck in the net which is what we are having problems with right now. Why do we need both of them in a game. Two spots taken up with players that have absolutely no hockey skills. I would rather see us play 7 D with Morrow or Grant out there on the PP.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:18 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Farnham may not be as skilled but so far I think he's brought some good things to WBS. Their lone goal last night was largely a result of his effort on the play.

Agree about McIntyre though. No reason to play him if he's not going to start ****.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
Farnham may not be as skilled but so far I think he's brought some good things to WBS. Their lone goal last night was largely a result of his effort on the play.

Agree about McIntyre though. No reason to play him if he's not going to start ****.
MacIntyre doesn't need to "start ****" to be effective. He's in the lineup for preventative measures.. but I agree that it may be best to sit him in favor of an actual hockey player at least once in a while.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:32 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Das Kuhn also needs to play ASAP!!

Old
11-10-2012, 11:36 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I suppose it's because his defensive game has been subpar and others are much better. When he finally gets it he will play. We have other prospects and players that are more deserving of ice time right now. I'm not as excited about Farnum and MacIntyre being out there as other fans are. Neither one can put the puck in the net which is what we are having problems with right now. Why do we need both of them in a game. Two spots taken up with players that have absolutely no hockey skills. I would rather see us play 7 D with Morrow or Grant out there on the PP.
Morrow is only going to "get it" when he plays.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:42 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
100% soft, skilled teams won't make it anywhere.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:54 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Das Kuhn also needs to play ASAP!!
He's been out there the last couple games. He had the shootout winner on Wednesday.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
100% soft, skilled teams won't make it anywhere.
WBS is a far cry from being called a skilled team and they're not particularly soft.

They've played Mac and Farnham in 2 games together and have scored 1 goal. Team toughness isn't the issue with this team, it's lack of offensive skill.

Also concerning Kuhn, he actually was used in a bit bigger role than his typical 4th-line duty yesterday. He played with Bennett a good deal and I hope he gets a chance to regularly play more. He provides some offensive skill for a team extremely lacking it.

I don't understand them not playing Grant more. If you're going to scratch Morrow, at least play the good player in Grant.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post

Don't get me wrong I like what Farnham brings to the lineup but I just don't like seing both him and McIntyre taking up two spots in the lineup on the same night when we need a little more scoring.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:01 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Morrow is only going to "get it" when he plays.
That's true but we have others that are more deserving and it's not like we need to rush this kid. He's a couple years away from what ive seen.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:04 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
WBS is a far cry from being called a skilled team and they're not particularly soft.

They've played Mac and Farnham in 2 games together and have scored 1 goal. Team toughness isn't the issue with this team, it's lack of offensive skill.

Also concerning Kuhn, he actually was used in a bit bigger role than his typical 4th-line duty yesterday. He played with Bennett a good deal and I hope he gets a chance to regularly play more. He provides some offensive skill for a team extremely lacking it.

I don't understand them not playing Grant more. If you're going to scratch Morrow, at least play the good player in Grant.
At least if you had Grant in the lineup as the 7th Dman they could use him a little at forward. He played a few shifts at forward his last game and didn't look that bad.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:06 PM
MonsterSurge

If you guys don't like Farnham, I'd really like him back in Wheeling!

Old
11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post

At least Ferriero and Smith NEEDS to produce more. We cant expect Bennett to step in and carry the offense (even tho i know all of us wish for it)
It's not even so much that Ferriero isn't scoring. He was supposed to be a stabilizing veteran presence with all of the young guys on the team, but he's trying to get cute with the puck in high risk areas and taking bad penalties.

He's making the kind of bad decisions you'd a expect from a first year pro, not a 25 year old in his 4th year and with a over full season's worth of NHL games under his belt.

I'm not trying to hammer the guy before 1/4 of the season has been played, but he has to be better and smarter or his ice time needs to be cut.

Last edited by Zen Arcade: 11-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 01:18 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I like what Farnham brings to the lineup but I just don't like seing both him and McIntyre taking up two spots in the lineup on the same night when we need a little more scoring.
Oh, I agree with that. I can dig having Farnham out there every night but I'd prefer McIntyre to be rotated in and out. Unfortunately, in the meantime there don't seem to be any other forwards left until Uher, Sill, Megna, and/or Veilleux come back or they decided to recall someone else from Wheeling.

Also they've just been drawing really solid goalies lately. Holtby and possibly Lehner would be in the NHL right now if it weren't for the lockout. No wonder they've had a tough time scoring this week. Portland doesn't seem to have a guy like that, so we might see some more goals tonight. They do have a pretty tough looking defense though.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Jacob

the Farnham legend grows..

http://www.theonehundred.org/honoree...bobby-farnham/

Old
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
MonsterSurge

MacIntyre vs Rechlicz tonight?

Old
11-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
The veterans really need to step it up a notch and lead by example.
This seems to be the main problem right now. Trevor Smith was last year's playoff top scorer and makes 300k in the minors (triple the normal veteran salary). He HAS to be a scoring machine down there. This was the big splash to try and fix the weakness at center, and so far Smith hasn't done crap. Same goes for most of the other veteran signings.

Old
11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Jacob

Very important for Ferriero to do him job.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:00 PM
MrMariusz

The Nailers look terrible so far in the season. Granting an Evansville outfit that doesn't look ready for ECHL hockey their first win was symptomatic of that condition.

About last night: the Pens were really screwed over by the refereeing, it was just ridiculous.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
That is far from true.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:05 PM

The Nailers problem is Clark Donatelli. Sadly I don't see a change coming anytime soon.

Old
11-10-2012, 03:39 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post

What? You're blaming MacIntyre and Farnham because WBS has not been producing goals lately?

Old
11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
What? You're blaming MacIntyre and Farnham because WBS has not been producing goals lately?
No, but when your supposed top forwards can't score, it's probably not the best idea to dress a guy like Mac, possibly the worst offensive forward in professional hockey, and Farnham, who outside of a couple goals this year for Wheeling, won't contribute much. One of them is enough. Farnham barely scored 20 goals in 130 games at the NCAA level, I'm guessing his 3 goals with Wheeling were more a fluke than anything else. That coupled with Farnham's propensity for penalties, taking a goalie interference in a tied game in the 3rd in his 1st game and taking another penalty down by 1 with a 1:18 left in the last game won't do them much good offensively. Better question is what Farnham was even doing out on the ice with a minute left down by one. I know he had an assist on their only goal but I'd say it's more about Hynes being cut from the same cloth as Byslma. I'm not going to be surprised when Farnham starts getting some pp run.

Ugh, I'm tired of talking about Farnham already. This type of player is always so popular in minor league hockey even though all the penalties they take end up hurting the team as much as their enegery on the ice is supposed to be helping them.

You play those two guys and you're likely having a 4th line that will be chasing the puck every time they're out on the ice.

I hope Uher plays today. He's the good version of Farnham. Draws penalties while playing the agitating style without taking a bunch of them.

Last edited by Sivek: 11-10-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Closed Thread