HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

How will Yakupov's situtation be resolved?

Old
09-26-2012, 09:05 PM
checkerdome

vCash: 500
How will Yakupov's situtation be resolved?

http://www.thespec.com/sports/hockey...ng-nhl-lockout

"Nail Yakupov could be forced to return to the Ontario Hockey League if he wants to continue playing during the NHL lockout.

The flashy forward was suspended by the Russian-based KHL on Tuesday after it was revealed he didn’t secure a transfer card to join Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik...
... his commitment to the Sarnia Sting was through the end of the 2012-13 season,” said a source close to the situation. “His contract with the Sarnia Sting says that and he should be playing for them.”

Where do the posters here believe Yakupov will end up playing during the NHL lockout?

(Sorry if this issue has been dealt with in another thread.)

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
I think Yakupov will have to play for Sarnia. Can't see the IIHF or the Oilers allowing him in the NHL. Can see this leading to Yakupov not being very fond of his team.

Honestly, I'm all for respecting contracts, but only when this comes from both sides. When Prokhorkin has a green light breaking his contract and Yakupov doesn't, it's called double standarts.
The only thing that prevents the KHL from breaking all bonds with the IIHF (and FHR), IMO, is Sochi Olympics. If the IIHF continues its antics and we win the 2014 Olympics, I expect a new crisis and we don't even know what will the NHL look like then.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:02 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
I think Yakupov will have to play for Sarnia. Can't see the IIHF or the Oilers allowing him in the NHL. Can see this leading to Yakupov not being very fond of his team.

Honestly, I'm all for respecting contracts, but only when this comes from both sides. When Prokhorkin has a green light breaking his contract and Yakupov doesn't, it's called double standarts.
The only thing that prevents the KHL from breaking all bonds with the IIHF (and FHR), IMO, is Sochi Olympics. If the IIHF continues its antics and we win the 2014 Olympics, I expect a new crisis and we don't even know what will the NHL look like then.
Could you fill me in on the Prokhorkin situation?

I'm not familiar with it.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

I think the KHL will work something out under the table with the Sarnia owners.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
Could you fill me in on the Prokhorkin situation?

I'm not familiar with it.
Has a contract with CSKA till 2015, signed with LA, was assigned to the AHL (included in Manchester training camp roster). IIHF didn't say a word despite KHL requiring an investigation. The Kings said that they had doubts about his KHL contract being valid

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:21 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Has a contract with CSKA till 2015, signed with LA, was assigned to the AHL (included in Manchester training camp roster). IIHF didn't say a word despite KHL requiring an investigation. The Kings said that they had doubts about his KHL contract being valid
Based on the Yakupov situation and the one you've described, it appears KHL contracts aren't always respected to the same degree as those signed with the NHL, AHL or even Canadian Major Junior leagues.

Old
09-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Vicente

NHL is not respecting any contract in Europe. Not of KHL, not of DEL, SEL, SM-liiga or whatever other league... they feel they are like Gods who can decide everything by themselves.

Unless NHL does respect KHL contracts, KHL shouldn't respect any NHL contract anymore.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:11 AM
russianhockey

Nail via twitter:
Все решится в ближайшее время и я продолжу снова играть за свой Родной клуб "Нефтехимик " :-* Так что , не гоните) все хорошо
ENG: Everything is fine, real soon i will play again for Neftekhimik

russianhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:33 AM
pouskin74*

Nail should play for Neftehimik( the real homeclub) and whistle on Sarnia.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
I'm surprised. It doesn't seem like the Oilers are responsible for this mess (see http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...uring-lockout/ and Chesnokov tweeting: "I am certain the Oilers had nothing to do with this"). Neither is Hockey Canada. Sarnia is and I don't have a clue why they haven't done the paperwork yet when their GM Jacques Beaulieu publicly says: "It’s unfortunate that he can’t play there right now (in the KHL) and we all hope for our organization and everybody’s sake that this gets rectified real soon." Where is the problem then?

BTW it's not exactly clever of Yakupov and Neftekhimik to think he was clear to play when the transfer card wasn't even there.

Quote:
When Prokhorkin has a green light breaking his contract
I can't imagine the IIHF not looking into that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
NHL is not respecting any contract in Europe. Not of KHL, not of DEL, SEL, SM-liiga or whatever other league... they feel they are like Gods who can decide everything by themselves.
Which DEL, SEL, SM-liiga contract has been broken in the last couple of years?

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:01 AM
tuker1980

Yakupov shouldn't, in my opinion, have to be granted his release by Sarnia. For pete sake, the guy want to play in a professional league with men.... not in Junior. If Nail was suiting up for his junior team, I would have a different opinion, but KHL = major league. It's like saying a Jr B. team wont release a player to allow him to play Major Junior... it's unthinkable...

Sarnia is just after $$$.

tuker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Alpine

It's more a matter of CHL protecting themselves.
Nail was drafted out of the CHL. Therefore as being under 20 if he doesn't play in the NHL by agreement he's to return to his CHL team. If he was drafted from any other league the NHL team can assign players where ever they wish.
I'm sure this will be worked out.
But the CHL wants to make sure that a precedent isn't set that allows NHL teams to send their star players to other leagues.
This has more to do with the CHL/NHL contract than Nail.
CHL wants a due to extraordinary circumstances kind of thing because of the lock-out

Last edited by Alpine: 09-27-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
As I understand it, and perhaps some international hockey expects can confirm it...but
The KHL is a signatory to the IIHF meaning they come underneath the auspices of IIHF governance. The NHL is not, those the IIHF can not really do anything or enforce anything on the NHL. The NHL is its own boss and on a regular basis tells the IIHF where to go and what to do when they get there. I kinda like that about the NHL given the fact I loathe everything the IIHF stands for... The IIHF is powerless when it comes to enforcing their decisions on the NHL. Whereas the KHL as well as all other European leagues come under the IIHF umbrella (as the idiots in the IIHF like to call it.) So, that's an issue for the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and the KHL to take up with the IIHF.

Sarnia just wants compensation I imagine...and I think the right thing to do here is for the Edmonton Oilers to cut Sarnia a chq. for 50,000 and the problem will go away. Although they are not legally obligated to do anything.. They were only legally obligated to assign him to Sarnia. which they did. And Nail apparently jumped the gun on the paperwork. His agent perhaps should pay the 50 grand...this could be very well his f.....up.

Unfortunately the rule is rule and it put Hockey Canada in a position where they had no other choice but to follow through on a complaint by one of their member clubs. Other wise HC looks rather weak...

As for the KHL not enforcing their contracts... perhaps they should start. And I'm all for a war with the IIHF. It's perhaps the only thing you and I will ever agree on.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Theokritos

What the IIHF can do (and has to do if the KHL complaint is legit) is to suspend Prokhorkin from playing in Europe and in international competitions. But the infuriated posters who are on the side of the KHL should relax for now and take a look at the NHL - KHL memorandum:

Quote:
5. In the event of any conflict or disagreement arising, both parties shall appoint their official representatives to hold negotiations.

6. Prior to such negotiations the parties undertake to provide all documents confirming or in any way associated with the player’s signing of a professional contract with any hockey club.

7. Toronto or New York shall be the venues for the negotiations between the official representatives of both leagues.
I guess the Prokhorkin case is in the phase described under point 6. Wait for the negotiations before you cry foul. Somehow I doubt the NHL would break the memorandum for a player like Prokhorkin if his KHL contract was valid. Maybe the LA Kings, but is it in the interest of the NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
As for the KHL not enforcing their contracts... perhaps they should start.
Like the NHL enforced Radulov's contract in 2008?

Easier said than done. Sue him, get him convicted and then what? The player is far away and gives the court the finger from the other side of the Atlantic.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Alpine

What the CHL wants is assurances that next year Nathan MacKinnon after being drafted can't jump ship and play pro other than the NHL

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
What the IIHF can do (and has to do if the KHL complaint is legit) is to suspend Prokhorkin from playing in Europe and in international competitions. But the infuriated posters who are on the side of the KHL should relax for now and take a look at the NHL - KHL memorandum:

I guess the Prokhorkin case is in the phase described under point 6. Wait for the negotiations before you cry foul. Somehow I doubt the NHL would break the memorandum for a player like Prokhorkin if his KHL contract was valid. Maybe the LA Kings, but is it in the interest of the NHL?

Like the NHL enforced Radulov's contract in 2008?

Easier said than done. Sue him, get him convicted and then what? The player is far away and gives the court the finger from the other side of the Atlantic.
All these are cloudy issues...
but the Radulov incident was before there was a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) between the NHL and KHL on honoring contracts...
I think the NHL didn't really press the issue. and as a newly formed league in 2008 I'm not exactly sure what kind of official relationship the KHL had with the IIHF at that time... I really wasn't paying much attention to the Radulov case...never really was a fan, didn't think he was all that of a special player. and I still don't...

Complicated for sure these issues...in the end I really don't care where Yakupov plays...

Old
09-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
but the Radulov incident was before there was a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) between the NHL and KHL on honoring contracts...
I think the NHL didn't really press the issue. and as a newly formed league in 2008 I'm not exactly sure what kind of official relationship the KHL had with the IIHF at that time... I really wasn't paying much attention to the Radulov case...never really was a fan, didn't think he was all that of a special player. and I still don't...

Complicated for sure these issues...in the end I really don't care where Yakupov plays...
There are two seperate levels of legal relations not to be confused:

1) Legal relations between the leagues (NHL and KHL). See transfer agreement / memorandum of understanding. Radulov didn't act against it in 2008 because there was none. In the case of Prokhorkin there is a MoU and I'm sure the stipulated negotiations are under way.

2) Legal relations between a player (Radulov, Prokhorkin) and a team (Nashville Preds, CSKA Moscow). If the player breaks his contract then he does something against the law, no matter whether there is a transfer agreement (or something similiar) or not. Radulov did that in 2008. Enforcing the contract would mean you take the player to court.

Old
09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Which DEL, SEL, SM-liiga contract has been broken in the last couple of years?
He conveniently forgot to mention that all those countries have a transfer agreement with the NHL...

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:40 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Sarnia just wants compensation I imagine...and I think the right thing to do here is for the Edmonton Oilers to cut Sarnia a chq. for 50,000 and the problem will go away. Although they are not legally obligated to do anything.. They were only legally obligated to assign him to Sarnia. which they did. And Nail apparently jumped the gun on the paperwork. His agent perhaps should pay the 50 grand...
Where does the 50,000 figure come from?

That seems like a lot of money for a mere CHL contract. I mean don't CHL players only get around $50 a week?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Where does the 50,000 figure come from?

That seems like a lot of money for a mere CHL contract. I mean don't CHL players only get around $50 a week?
I just made it up... although I heard on a sports radio station (not sure if I heard correctly as I was working at the time) that this is not the first time for Sarnia. (if in fact they want financial compensation) but Sarnia received a sum of 26 thousand for a player to be released from his junior commitment. Don't remember the player's name, ot when it occurred. and am not even sure if that is accurate...again I wasn't listening too intently at the time.

if the 26 thousand is an accurate figure.... it's not what the player's value to Sarnia is.... it's the player's value to the team that wants to buy him out of his junior commitment. How much do they have and how much are they willing to pay.... that will ultimately decide what the compensation will be...

Old
09-28-2012, 10:20 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Did I say in past that Larionov as agent is disaster for russian young players? Now you have a proof. The kid MUST watch games in arena, not playing. Sad

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Did I say in past that Larionov as agent is disaster for russian young players? Now you have a proof. The kid MUST watch games in arena, not playing. Sad
Larionov is a harmful and even cancerous element in Russian hockey today. It is sad to see what this former great player has become today.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Larionov is a harmful and even cancerous element in Russian hockey today. It is sad to see what this former great player has become today.
most untrue post ever?

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
He was a cancerous element when he was a player as well!

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

hahahahah Wow, why the hate for Larry?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote