HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Slava Kozlov trade

Old
10-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
The Slava Kozlov trade

Since we're in the middle of the lockout and there's been some down-time, I was browsing the main board and saw the thread about players demanding to be traded after being traded. With that, I immediately thought of the Kozlov story from about ten years ago.

As the years passed, I've become cloudy with this one and wanted some clarification. Does anyone remember what exactly happened? Did Kozlov demand a trade out of here or was he just unhappy and demanded to be played or traded? From what I remember, he was injured and when he did play wasn't producing and was therefore scratched. He didn't want to watch from the press box and vocalized his unhappiness publicly to WGR. Then we traded him to Atlanta. His agent claimed he never actually demanded a trade, but other reports suggest differently. Does anyone remember the story? This is the best I could find on it, but it's kind of multiple-sided:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...v_benching_ap/

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:52 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I don't think he was very happy to be traded to Buffalo and basically pouted and coasted for 2 months. Ruff never liked him and he found his way to the bench rather quickly. After he returned to the lineup he was better...but then blew out his knee for the season.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
I don't think he was very happy to be traded to Buffalo and basically pouted and coasted for 2 months. Ruff never liked him and he found his way to the bench rather quickly. After he returned to the lineup he was better...but then blew out his knee for the season.
achilles tendon

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Kozlov was beefing about being here during the summer prior to ever taking the ice per a couple of reliable folks who recount some not-so-pleasant commentary when he first arrived. He did make a handy tandem with Afinogenov for a few weeks before he got hurt (skate cut the back of his left leg) and then missed most of the rest of the season. He acted like a SOB on and off the ice, glad they used the pick they acquired for him in part to land Hecht that next summer.

10-09-2012, 02:15 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

He was vocal about being the spare part that was cast off of a very strong Detroit team in favor of Hasek. Recall that Hasek also publicly commented that he felt that the Sabres were asking for too much for him and that Detroit needed the players that Regier was asking for so that they could compete for the cup.

During his first 20+ games with the team, Kozlov was able to take a break from his busy routine of acting like a smug turd to record 6 whole points. Ruff benched him for 1 game on 11/27 and he whined to the media with something to the effect that he wasn't benched on the (superior) Red Wings, and didn't see why he would be benched on the (lowly) Sabres. He had 16 pts in 12 games after the 1 game benching. He missed another game on 12/7, but I don't recall the reason.

He had the nasty achilles slice and never played for the Sabres again. He did well for the Thrashers, but good riddance.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:09 PM
slip

If Ruff hates Russians, it's because of Kozlov.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:25 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
He was vocal about being the spare part that was cast off of a very strong Detroit team in favor of Hasek. Recall that Hasek also publicly commented that he felt that the Sabres were asking for too much for him and that Detroit needed the players that Regier was asking for so that they could compete for the cup.

During his first 20+ games with the team, Kozlov was able to take a break from his busy routine of acting like a smug turd to record 6 whole points. Ruff benched him for 1 game on 11/27 and he whined to the media with something to the effect that he wasn't benched on the (superior) Red Wings, and didn't see why he would be benched on the (lowly) Sabres. He had 16 pts in 12 games after the 1 game benching. He missed another game on 12/7, but I don't recall the reason.

He had the nasty achilles slice and never played for the Sabres again. He did well for the Thrashers, but good riddance.
hence the reason Ive never really liked Hasek. He cost us the chance at Sergei Fedorov

CaptPantalones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Rant Casey

It took me quite a few years to remove myself/sabre pride from this trade and be able to make peace with it. Much love for Dom, and I'm very happy for him that he could achieve what he couldn't have with the Sabres. I struggled with resentment towards Hasek for years in spite of all of the continued good will and service in the community. Made it about myself. Silly.

Kozlov though, my feelings haven't changed one bit towards him. Nothing nice to say here, so I won't bother.

Rant Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Ironic I bring up the player we got in return for Hasek and Hasek retires the next day...for the third time.

So it wasn't ever confirmed that he actually demanded a trade like some say? He was always a ***** IMO.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
Hasek wanted to win (he still does at age 47). At the time he was the only top 50 player on the Sabres. It was obvious that the Rigas family was not going to spend the money to win (looking back.... no s### Sherlock), so Dom wanted to end his career with a winner (which he did). I have no problems with his decision. I rank him as one of the two best players to ever have worn a Sabres jersey. He still donates his time and money to his Hasek's for heroes charity here in Buffalo.

For anyone to side for the Rigases over him has some explaining to do.

I understand the feelings of Buffalo fans who are sensitive about rejection and criticism (hell, I am one..ever since I went to my first Sabre's game in 1970), but Hasek belongs in the rafters this year.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
Hasek wanted to win (he still does at age 47). At the time he was the only top 50 player on the Sabres. It was obvious that the Rigas family was not going to spend the money to win (looking back.... no s### Sherlock), so Dom wanted to end his career with a winner (which he did). I have no problems with his decision. I rank him as one of the two best players to ever have worn a Sabres jersey. He still donates his time and money to his Hasek's for heroes charity here in Buffalo.

For anyone to side for the Rigases over him has some explaining to do.

I understand the feelings of Buffalo fans who are sensitive about rejection and criticism (hell, I am one..ever since I went to my first Sabre's game in 1970), but Hasek belongs in the rafters this year.
The issue isn't that he demanded to be traded, but that he prevented the Sabres from getting even decent value for him. I'm over it at this point but I don't forgive that particular aspect of his Sabres career.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 10:35 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Again, I've never blamed Hasek. The Sabres had just screwed the organization big, by playing hardball with their captain (Peca) for over a year, then shipping him out. I would if done the same if I was in his shoes.

As for the post... Kozlov was an idiot pertaining to the Sabres and the trade. Again, one of the best players in the game wanted out of the organization, and he had to go from top team to basement team. Who would want too? But he was a jerk about it from beginning to end.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:35 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

if i recall, he pulled the same stunt in Atlanta (requesting a trade because of playing time.)

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The issue isn't that he demanded to be traded, but that he prevented the Sabres from getting even decent value for him. I'm over it at this point but I don't forgive that particular aspect of his Sabres career.
This.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I would have rather seen Hasek forced to retire then to give in to his parameters for the trade.... We got Sloba Kozlov and a 1st that became Dan Paille for Hasek. We should have let him retire.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

It's pathetic that our GM made that deal... Particularly after playing hardball with Peca.

Why not just call Haseks bluff? Was Kozlov and a draft pick really going to make up for the loss of TE best goalie ever?

I'd rather have got nothing for Hasek if he retired than trade him for an embarrassing package.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I would have rather seen Hasek forced to retire then to give in to his parameters for the trade.... We got Sloba Kozlov and a 1st that became Dan Paille for Hasek. We should have let him retire.
We got what we could at the time, which was (and always is) better than nothing.

The fact is Hasek forced Regier's hand, and since nobody wanted another Pecaesque situation -- especially the fans -- he cut his losses and moved on, which was the right decision.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:40 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
It's pathetic that our GM made that deal... Particularly after playing hardball with Peca.

Why not just call Haseks bluff? Was Kozlov and a draft pick really going to make up for the loss of TE best goalie ever?

I'd rather have got nothing for Hasek if he retired than trade him for an embarrassing package.
If they hardballed Hasek like they did Peca, they would have been crucified locally.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
We got what we could at the time, which was (and always is) better than nothing.

The fact is Hasek forced Regier's hand, and since nobody wanted another Pecaesque situation -- especially the fans -- he cut his losses and moved on, which was the right decision.
Letting Hasek overrule the team and getting **** in return is not the right decision. Hasek was bluffing.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Letting Hasek overrule the team and getting **** in return is not the right decision. Hasek was bluffing.
yeah, i think its easier to say this now, when he's still trying to play professionally at the age of 90, than it was back then, but I generally agree.

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
If they hardballed Hasek like they did Peca, they would have been crucified locally.
It's a completely different type of hardballing....

Not trading a guy for garbage simply because he wants you too isn't good business....

When you attempt to trade Hasek, and the best offer you get is Kozlov and a 1st you take your chances on him retiring.... It would have been the exact same result in the W/L column had he gone through with it.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
It's a completely different type of hardballing....

Not trading a guy for garbage simply because he wants you too isn't good business....

When you attempt to trade Hasek, and the best offer you get is Kozlov and a 1st you take your chances on him retiring.... It would have been the exact same result in the W/L column had he gone through with it.
That's a very Asian way of looking at it...I didn't get the price I wanted so instead of utilizing an asset I'll let it rot or increase the price to make up for a lack of customers. The previous year, after promising the tools to get the job done, they allowed their captain to sit out an entire year due to a contract impasse. After losing in the playoffs their franchise player demands out after seeing the heart of the team 'disrespected' and then traded for 2 'promising' players. The owner, bleeding red all over his accounting (partially due to incompetence, shady dealings etc) has 2 options...1. play hardball, let the franchise player sit and be guaranteed of missing the playoffs, compounding the PR fiasco from the previous season or 2. get the best deal possible for him, while spinning the media that it was the best thing for the franchise in the hopes of a decent asset with what they got from the Peca trade could help them contend for a playoff spot.

They did the best they could under a crappy situation...had Kozlov not been a putz; pouted, under-performed, and got hurt they very well could have made the playoffs at ensuring the cash windfall from a home game or two.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Imlach a cup

Kozlov was one of my favorite players in the league when this trade went down. His piss poor attitude and eventual trade nearly ruined hockey for me. Didn't get back into it untill post lock out when I acquired a severe case of you don't what you got till it's gones.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:46 AM
MayDay

Slava Kozlov: Worst Sabre...EVER

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Slava Kozlov: Worst Sabre...EVER
That's an interesting opinion. A rare one too. There are a few others I can think of who were worse than ol' Slava.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote