HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills - Regular Season (3-4)

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 09:11 AM
OkimLom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I'm a bit suprised. You told me that the bills would totally crap the bed this year. Instead of that, they're 3-3 and they're still in the playoff race
They're a 3-3 team playing like a 2-4 team. They won the two games they should've and got lucky on the third.

The way they're play calling and with the lack of consistent tackling, that will be our downfall and most likely be shown come late november, along with the way the QB is playing. Losing the two o-line men(Urbik? and Glenn) has shown, when HEALTHY, that this team is solid in the trenches.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Baltimore is not overrated but without Suggs, Lewis and Webb that D is pretty much sunk
Suggs coming back after the bye, per most reports, so we'll see how effective he is. At the very least, he gives them a pass rushing component they've otherwise lacked this season. Lewis has the brand, but he's a shell of his former self, and his best attributes were what he could bring to the huddle and on the sidelines (he'll still be able to do the latter). The big loss is Webb, who most of the better football minds recognized to be one of the best players people knew little about and a soon-to-be perennial all-pro.

This Ravens team will go as far as their offense will take them, and I think that was the case before the Lewis injury.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

has anyone seen an explanation for brad smith's 36 yard interception late in the game when the bills were leading? i was floored by the play call, and, of course, it led to the game-tying field goal.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:45 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
has anyone seen an explanation for brad smith's 36 yard interception late in the game when the bills were leading? i was floored by the play call, and, of course, it led to the game-tying field goal.
Basically, they had waited for that pass to "open" all game, and thought they would have the middle of the field open to hit Jones with a bomb. Gailey said something to the effect of "if he hits it, it's a genius play, if he misses, it's idiotic...he missed, it's a dumb play call, but I'd call it again"

stupid, horrid, disgusting, perturbing, sickening, TRYING TO GET FIRED, etc....

KILL THE CLOCK

Old
10-16-2012, 12:53 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Basically, they had waited for that pass to "open" all game, and thought they would have the middle of the field open to hit Jones with a bomb. Gailey said something to the effect of "if he hits it, it's a genius play, if he misses, it's idiotic...he missed, it's a dumb play call, but I'd call it again"

KILL THE CLOCK
Agreed, if there up 8 I love the play call but one possession game? Give me a break .... It's so aggravating knowin they have one of the best RB tandems in the league and don't even realize it...

Old
10-16-2012, 12:58 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
http://wgr550.com/Bills-Gailey-asked...sions/14527482

Some explanations:

Quote:
The first was the wildcat throw late in the game by Brad Smith to the end zone that wasn’t even close and was intercepted. Buffalo was protecting a three point lead at the time. Gailey said, “We thought we had the chance to hit the homerun and ice the thing right there. We thought they’d be playing run the whole way and we’d seen the middle of the field open. We didn’t get it down the middle of the field which is where we planned to go, but didn’t get it there, in hindsight, bad call.”
On the final drive in regulation:
Quote:
“After the sack, yes, I would do the same thing. If we could’ve gotten a completion and got something going, we would’ve tried to get down and score, but then and there to me, you try to make them use their time outs instead of stopping the clock for them if we threw an incomplete pass and let them keep their time outs, so we were going to try to run it, make them use their time outs, gain some yardage back from the lost sack and punt it down there and see if we could play defense one more time.”
On the overtime punt:
Quote:
Gailey said the decision had nothing to do with his kicker, “It was ‘What if we don’t make it’, plus they get it again anyway because that was our first possession. I thought it was smarter with the back-up quarterback to punt it, maybe we get them down inside the 10 which I thought we had a chance to do and see if he could take them all the way down the field which I felt good with the way our defense was playing.”

Old
10-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:

KILL THE CLOCK
Yup.

CJ was running well the whole game. Arizona's 'D' had to be wearing down. Get the field goal, and force them to go for the touchdown.

I'm off the Fitz and Gailey bandwagon.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:14 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Gailey is a bad coach, Lindell a pathetic kicker and Fitz is a garbage QB.Oh and Fred Jackson looks washed up yet is still given the most touches over the better RB. Only in Buffalo can our sports teams be run so poorly.

7-9 or worse this season, book it. We will most likely lose all of our divisonal games.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Yup.

CJ was running well the whole game. Arizona's 'D' had to be wearing down. Get the field goal, and force them to go for the touchdown.

I'm off the Fitz and Gailey bandwagon.
Took you guys long enough.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Took you guys long enough.
I knew Fitz wasn't the answer. I've always accepted him as a stop gap quarterback. He isn't elite. He's mediocre-to-average. I've always wanted an elite prospect, but they're hard to come by.

Chan I had faith in. I love his attitude. He doesn't play favorites, and he's straight to the point. He's a pass heavy coach, though. This team needs to be a run first offense. He hasn't seemed to accept that, and it's time to move onto someone who does.

I'm cool with Fitz being the game mananger while we run the ball down a defenses throat. He's not terrible.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
Shawn has some splainin to do

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...121019442/1004
Quote:
A week ago on Twitter, a fan tweeted to Merriman: “looks like bills shoulda kept yalights out,” referring to the player by his nickname.

Merriman’s response?

“No they shouldn’t have i’m not a defensive end in this league,” he wrote back.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:34 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Baltimore is not overrated but without Suggs, Lewis and Webb that D is pretty much sunk
This article might say otherwise:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...n-early-goings

Old
10-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:

Old
10-16-2012, 05:21 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I knew Fitz wasn't the answer. I've always accepted him as a stop gap quarterback. He isn't elite. He's mediocre-to-average. I've always wanted an elite prospect, but they're hard to come by.

Chan I had faith in. I love his attitude. He doesn't play favorites, and he's straight to the point. He's a pass heavy coach, though. This team needs to be a run first offense. He hasn't seemed to accept that, and it's time to move onto someone who does.

I'm cool with Fitz being the game mananger while we run the ball down a defenses throat. He's not terrible.
I like Chan's interviews but this year I have not been that impressed with his coaching. And I think he does play favorites. Certain guys on this team are Chan players (Fitz, Thigpen, Jackson, a few more as well.)

We really need to draft a top notch qb, top notch linebacker and wide receiver with our first three picks in the draft. Another Corner wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:13 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
You think Vick is good? Never saw the hype in him, he can run, big deal. The Vick in Atlanta couldnt throw. You can only blame his o-line for so much. Rodgers o-line is horrific. Yet Sunday he had a 6 TD Game against what is a solid D in Houston. I highly doubt Vick is pulling that off anytime soon.

I hope not, Jennings always seems to get hurt now, hes done a lot for GB but it's time to move on.
So we should compare Vick to one of the best QBs in the league? And No, Houston's pass defense is vastly over-rated. They are extremely weak at corner and need to protect it with blitzes and pressure (kind of what the Bills haven't done). Vick has taken some serious shots and rarely gets to hold the ball as long as Rodgers (and I'll take Jennings - Nelson - Jones - Cobb over Jackson - Maclin - Avant). Vick is a top 10 QB in this league.

Last edited by dma0034: 10-17-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old
10-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Dubi Doo

Fred Jackson will be on NFL live at 4:17et

Old
10-17-2012, 03:11 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Gailey is a bad coach, Lindell a pathetic kicker and Fitz is a garbage QB.Oh and Fred Jackson looks washed up yet is still given the most touches over the better RB. Only in Buffalo can our sports teams be run so poorly.

7-9 or worse this season, book it. We will most likely lose all of our divisonal games.
Is there a competition for who can say the most wrong thing in this thread?

Old
10-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Mergus

I don't get why everyone is so critical of the wildcat throw. Gailey can only call the play, he can't execute.

Brad Smith should have thrown a good pass or tucked and ran. If the play isn't there, it isn't there. I'm sure Gailey didn't tell him to chuck the ball regardless of coverage. You have to put trust in your players at some point.

If he ran it three times, got stuffed, punted, and Arizona marched to a game winning TD we'd be calling it Jauronish play calling.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post
I don't get why everyone is so critical of the wildcat throw. Gailey can only call the play, he can't execute.

Brad Smith should have thrown a good pass or tucked and ran. If the play isn't there, it isn't there. I'm sure Gailey didn't tell him to chuck the ball regardless of coverage. You have to put trust in your players at some point.

If he ran it three times, got stuffed, punted, and Arizona marched to a game winning TD we'd be calling it Jauronish play calling.
Because it was an incredibly stupid call to play in the first place, executed or not.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post

I think a lot of the problem people have with it is that he trusted Brad Smith. I mean he's now 0 for 2 with 2 interceptions throwing as a Bill. Why does he still have a roster spot? The two running plays in the last couple of weeks are the two most positive things I've ever seen him do. And no, I don't consider 3rd and short conversions particularly positive - I think with our line and Jackson we should be able to convert those at a high percentage anyway.

I would have rather seen playaction with a couple secondary flat routes (or even a bootleg with a fly pattern on the same side of the field) than putting the ball in Brad freaking Smith's hands.

EDIT: To your second point, the Bills had already had success running the ball down to have the ball in that situation. They were alraedy on the fringe of FG range - it's hard to imagine 2 runs wouldn't have netted ANY yardage, and Arizona would have either been down inside of two minutes or had one timeout (which would have prevented Arizona from getting back the ball at all in regulation)

Last edited by jflory81: 10-17-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old
10-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Yes, the explanation was that the play call was for a pass up the middle, which would have set them up to basically end the game there. Brad Smith decided to heave it for a touchdown instead. In other words, most of the blame is on Brad Smith. Maybe people still don't like the idea of throwing even in the middle for a first down out of the Wildcat in that situation but I personally feel neutral about it at worst. In those situations you usually have to complete at least one pass to finish the game in one drive.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 10-17-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old
10-17-2012, 06:04 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Is there a competition for who can say the most wrong thing in this thread?
Your right, a 2.9 YPC is great for a #1 back

Especially considering the guy "behind" him leads the NFL with a 7.6 YPC

Fred is done as a top tier back, injuries have obviously slowed him down. Too bad the Bills have such a terrible head coach, if the Bills had a good coach I'm sure they'd give Spiller the most carries ( you know the RB who Pro Football Focus has said is the 2nd best RB this year?They also said Spiller was the #1 RB for week 6.I trust PFF more then any other website/poster/analyst)

Old
10-17-2012, 10:55 PM
dma0034

So i just realized this but there are only 2 AFC teams with a winning record (and they play each other this week).

Old
10-17-2012, 11:11 PM
McTank

Jackson will turn it around he's not washed up yet, I would be giving more carries to cj until he does though

Old
10-17-2012, 11:42 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Your right, a 2.9 YPC is great for a #1 back

Especially considering the guy "behind" him leads the NFL with a 7.6 YPC

Fred is done as a top tier back, injuries have obviously slowed him down. Too bad the Bills have such a terrible head coach, if the Bills had a good coach I'm sure they'd give Spiller the most carries ( you know the RB who Pro Football Focus has said is the 2nd best RB this year?They also said Spiller was the #1 RB for week 6.I trust PFF more then any other website/poster/analyst)
Still won't say Fred Jackson is washed up.... but at this point Spiller should be seeing 75-80% of the snaps and Freddy only 20%.... yet at the same time both are dynamic playmakers..... I want to see them both on the field together more often and create mismatches between them and the linebackers.

Closed Thread