Notices

Conflict in Edmonton

Old
09-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Conflict in Edmonton

Pretty interesting read over at TSN right now.

Oilers brass in Seattle: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406031
Seattle approves new arena: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406029
Mayors response: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406068

Thoughts? Personally, I think Katz was just using this as a bluff, and the Edmonton City Council called him on it. I doubt they get relocated, but it's still an odd situation.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Can't see the oilers being relocated.

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

No way they move. The fans have been filling the seats throughout the last few years.

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Pretty interesting read over at TSN right now.

Oilers brass in Seattle: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406031
Seattle approves new arena: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406029
Mayors response: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406068

Thoughts? Personally, I think Katz was just using this as a bluff, and the Edmonton City Council called him on it. I doubt they get relocated, but it's still an odd situation.
Two thoughts (Maybe three - my math isn't that great):

1) Katz is a crybaby who should not be given his way all the time and that seems to be how Edmonton city council is playing it. Good for council and to Katz: Grow the frick up.

And 2) If the Oilers leave (For whatever bizarre and twisted reason) the NHL should (For the sake of revenue and its own business a**) throw an expansion team in Edmonton as soon as humanly possible.

BTW - Flames fans should be watching this carefully as folks have been talking about possibilities for the Saddledome. Are Flames owners mature and realistic enough to work with the City of Calgary when the time comes or will they act like spoilt little boys and girls who want their way with everything?

As much of a hockey fan as I am I still believe that the Flames are a private business who should pay their way when it comes to where they play.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 07:01 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Maybe Oilers fans should relocate to Shoppers Drug Mart.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
This makes the NHLPA look good. They're saying "we told you the owners were greedy"

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:38 PM
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
This makes the NHLPA look good. They're saying "we told you the owners were greedy"
This.

And Katz has a snowball's chance in hell of actually moving the Oilers, moving a profitible, popular team with history? I don't think that would go over too well with the BoG.

Some solid posturing from an Edmonton boy, and lifelong Oiler fan though.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid View Post
This.

And Katz has a snowball's chance in hell of actually moving the Oilers, moving a profitible, popular team with history? I don't think that would go over too well with the BoG.

Yeah but Bettman's in charge - you know there's a good chance that this team is going somewhere hot and where people don't have any idea what hockey is.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1508
If the Oilers move before Phoenix moves...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:51 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Yep.

Id be pissed if the Oilers moved, I mean, I hate them but its part of our history.

It'd be like pretending Nixon was never president, or some better analogy.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
i never hated the oilers i just dont cheer for them, i hate the owners and players that make up a team. and right now i feel for the fanbase, i live in edmonton and i know that alot of them are very passionate about them soo what katz is doing is too harsh.

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:52 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

The Oilers are not going to move. Even if the city thinks it's too expensive to build a new arena, the profits they make from Oilers tourism would more than cover it.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Backlund

There would be the biggest **** storm in history if Katz actually tried to move the Oilers to Seattle. They aren't going anywhere.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:49 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Not a chance this happens, and Katz knows it. All talk.

They're not going anywhere, which is a good thing. As much as I hate the Oilers, I love the BoA. It would suck to see that great rivalry come to an end.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:55 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid View Post
This.

I think the move would be approved by the BOG. Calgary would lose an obvious geographic rival, but Vancouver would pick one up. Oilers in Seattle might just be the domino to drop that allows the NHL to finally get in to Portland as well. That would make the westcoast swing a lot easier to take for the overpaid babies from the eastern conference and allow the NHL to finally get back to a full interlockimg schedule. Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Portland, Seattle and Vancover, all on the schedule with no kore than a 90 minute flight between stops up the coast. Calgary and Edmonton are small potatoes when you are trying to expand the American market and get into all the major media markets.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:02 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I think the move would be approved by the BOG. Calgary would lose an obvious geographic rival, but Vancouver would pick one up. Oilers in Seattle might just be the domino to drop that allows the NHL to finally get in to Portland as well. That would make the westcoast swing a lot easier to take for the overpaid babies from the eastern conference and allow the NHL to finally get back to a full interlockimg schedule. Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Portland, Seattle and Vancover, all on the schedule with no kore than a 90 minute flight between stops up the coast. Calgary and Edmonton are small potatoes when you are trying to expand the American market and get into all the major media markets.
Yes, but it just doesn't make sense for the Oilers to be the team moving there, there would be a race to the finish to get a new team set up in Edmonton, and they wouldn't be without a team for long.

If this happens it will be the 'Yotes or another struggling franchise that is moved there, not one of the dozen teams actually turning a profit in this league.

Old
09-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Backlund

Quote:
No, it wouldn't. Why would they move an established NHL team that has a lot of history to a city where football and baseball are much more popular. If any team is moving to Seattle it is Phoenix or any other struggling American team.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:30 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Yes, but it just doesn't make sense for the Oilers to be the team moving there, there would be a race to the finish to get a new team set up in Edmonton, and they wouldn't be without a team for long.

If this happens it will be the 'Yotes or another struggling franchise that is moved there, not one of the dozen teams actually turning a profit in this league.
Disagree with that thinking. The league would love to be able to drop a team in Seattle just like they did in Colorado. The Oilers, like the Nordiques, are a team on the verge of being pretty good, and with the right moves, really good for quite a few years. No ugly expansion period and no reliance on aging players. This would be a Colorado all over again and quickly establish a franchise in the Pacific Northwest, pretty well dragging Portland into the mix. Instant win for the league. Also looks really good for an expansion of the broadcast deal. It would suck to lose Edmonton from a Flames perspective, but from a league development perspective the loss of the Oilers is pretty inconsequential.

I also don't see the NHL giving up on Phoenix. They will continue to search for an owner. You don't abandon the 5th largest metropolitan market in the US without exhausting every potential to keep it going. There is a lot of money in the Phoenix market, they just need someone with some brains to run it.

Last edited by CGYPUKSUX: 09-27-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Expand on Phoenix
CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Disagree with that thinking. The league would love to be able to drop a team in Seattle just like they did in Colorado. The Oilers, like the Nordiques, are a team on the verge of being pretty good, and with the right moves, really good for quite a few years. No ugly expansion period and no reliance on aging players. This would be a Colorado all over again and quickly establish a franchise in the Pacific Northwest, pretty well dragging Portland into the mix. Instant win for the league. Also looks really good for an expansion of the broadcast deal. It would suck to lose Edmonton from a Flames perspective, but from a league development perspective the loss of the Oilers is pretty inconsequential.

I also don't see the NHL giving up on Phoenix. They will continue to search for an owner. You don't abandon the 5th largest metropolitan market in the US without exhausting every potential to keep it going. There is a lot of money in the Phoenix market, they just need someone with some brains to run it.
You are aware how hard the Phoenix market has been hit by the recession right? Housing costs are 25% of what they were. That means your 300k house is now worth 75k and you owe 220k on it. How does that equal "lots of money"?

Secondly, the Suns and Diamondbacks are both losing money as well right now, making the NFL goldmine the only pro sport doing well in the area presently. The Cardinals are actually the third lowest revenue team in the NFL presently as well, even though they do make money. Moving the Coyotes makes way more fiscal sense than moving the Oilers. I don't know how any intelligent debate can even be had around the issue.

BTW, this is coming from someone who hates the Oilers more than any team outside of Vancouver and would actually be happy if they left the province. I'm quite sure my position on this issue is more extreme than most people and even I think it's a ridiculous business notion.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:19 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:

The Oilers situation financially is a complete 180 from the Nordiques. They were hemorrhaging money at the time they were moved, while the Oilers are one of the teams that help keep the NHL above water.

Old
09-27-2012, 06:40 PM
MarkGio

Let's just say I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Oilers left for Seattle.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1508
Quote:
Let's just say I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Oilers left for Seattle.
Really? Because Calgary could very well be in a similar position in a few years when the 'Dome becomes obsolete. Would you lose sleep if the Flames moved to...Kansas City?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Calgary and Edmonton are small potatoes when you are trying to expand the American market and get into all the major media markets.
They already have their U.S. media deal for ten more years. Let Edmonton move and you lose money on the more lucrative Canadian media deal.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:45 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Really? Because Calgary could very well be in a similar position in a few years when the 'Dome becomes obsolete. Would you lose sleep if the Flames moved to...Kansas City?
I agree. I feel bad for their fans right now.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:35 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
That's different. An Oilers team in Seattle would likely mean less money towards player salaries in the beginning, meaning easier wins for the Flames. Who are you cheering for?