HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hugh Jessiman

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Jeff from Maine

vCash: 500
Hugh Jessiman

Hey guys..

Whats his status...and what does he project to be as an NHLer.

I cant find any stats on him for this season...is he playing or did he get injured?

Later

Old
01-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Hey guys..

I cant find any stats on him for this season...is he playing or did he get injured?

Later
he played at the start of the season, but then he got hurt and needed surgery..he should be taking to the ice soon (to skate). But we havent heard much on his progress as of late.

Old
01-26-2005, 05:13 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Hey guys..

Later
He began light rehabilitation a few weeks ago. He should be back on the ice with some light skating in about 4-5 weeks.

He is going to be a future power foward in the NHL...has the potential to be a 1st line player.

Old
01-26-2005, 06:29 PM
NYR Fan 8845

Quote:
Hey guys..

Later
I think a comparison to Eric Daze was made.

Old
01-26-2005, 06:30 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan 8845
I think a comparison to Eric Daze was made.
Daze is alot softer than Jessiman, I thought Jessiman takes the body on a reg basis. Daze does not..

Old
01-26-2005, 06:36 PM
NYR Fan 8845

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Daze is alot softer than Jessiman, I thought Jessiman takes the body on a reg basis. Daze does not..
Ok well then who would a better comparison be made to.

Tkachuk maybe ??? John Leclair ??? I dont know.

Old
01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Fan 8845
Ok well then who would a better comparison be made to.

Tkachuk maybe ??? John Leclair ??? I dont know.
I was thinking LeClair when he was in his prime with Lindros. Maybe Tkachuk but I dont know if Jessiman nasty as him. So I dont know.

Old
01-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Levitate

i think an accurate description might be a less skilled joe thornton, i've heard that one a lot. in that they're both big, skilled players, good skating, good shot, not overally physical (don't throw thunderous checks all the time or anything) but aren't soft and will take the body and use their size, not exactly "nasty" players

Old
01-26-2005, 07:27 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i think an accurate description might be a less skilled joe thornton, i've heard that one a lot. in that they're both big, skilled players, good skating, good shot, not overally physical (don't throw thunderous checks all the time or anything) but aren't soft and will take the body and use their size, not exactly "nasty" players
Thornton can be nasty when he wants to be. Remember the Lindros Thornton fight. Lindros clocked him good. If anyone have the clip, please post it.

Old
01-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Levitate

that wasn't really thornton being nasty, that was thornton getting punked

thornton isn't normally a very nasty type of guy, not like a tkachuk type player

Old
01-26-2005, 09:43 PM
allrevvedup25

Quote:
Thornton can be nasty when he wants to be. Remember the Lindros Thornton fight. Lindros clocked him good. If anyone have the clip, please post it.
I will post it on here tomorrow morning when I get to work. I have dial-up and it takes to long!!

Old
01-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup25
I will post it on here tomorrow morning when I get to work. I have dial-up and it takes to long!!
oh great, if you have anymore nice clips, post those too, thanks a lot

Old
01-26-2005, 10:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Not sure who I would compare Jessiman to. His scouting report indicates that he is something more of a play maker and a good passer, not the typical back to the net goal scorer that is often equated with power forwards.

Old
01-26-2005, 11:35 PM
pld459666

But LeClair

Quote:
I was thinking LeClair when he was in his prime with Lindros. Maybe Tkachuk but I dont know if Jessiman nasty as him. So I dont know.
hasn't ever been a player that took the body either.

Daze, LeClair, the only real difference between the two players was Eric Lindros early in their careers.

Had Lindros played with Daze while Eric was healthy, Daze would have been the 50 goal "power forward"

Neither Daze or LeClair were ever really physical players.

I think that the comparisson to either player is accurate. Whether he gets to that level is in serious question.

First, his skating needed a bit of work and that was before he broke the ankel. Now he's going to have to rehab that and hope that it doesn't affect him on a going forward basis.

Hopefully he gets back and healthy enough to play for Hartford in the AHL playoffs and a run for the Calder Cup.

Old
01-26-2005, 11:38 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
hasn't ever been a player that took the body either.

Daze, LeClair, the only real difference between the two players was Eric Lindros early in their careers.

Had Lindros played with Daze while Eric was healthy, Daze would have been the 50 goal "power forward"

Neither Daze or LeClair were ever really physical players.

I think that the comparisson to either player is accurate. Whether he gets to that level is in serious question.

First, his skating needed a bit of work and that was before he broke the ankel. Now he's going to have to rehab that and hope that it doesn't affect him on a going forward basis.

Hopefully he gets back and healthy enough to play for Hartford in the AHL playoffs and a run for the Calder Cup.
I remember Dawes and Kozak played last year for a few games, if they play this year and u add Jessiman to that, that is 3 solid prospects. I hope they give them good ice time. Anyone know how much ice time Dawes and Kozak got when they played for the pack last year?

Old
01-27-2005, 06:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

A finesse power forward...a big young with soft hands.Todd Bertuzzi

Old
01-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Levitate

i know he's even said himself that he's a bit more of a playmaker, but the guy has an absolutely killer shot...he could score a lot of goals if he uses it regularly

as for jessiman's skating..he was always a big guy who could skate well, and he did work on his skating over the summer, but i think when you're that big and still growing into your frame especially, you always gotta keep working on it. from what i saw of him, he's definatly not a bad skater, he's never gonna be amazingly graceful or anything, but he's not clunky and slow out there...i was somewhat surprised at how mobile he looks out there

Old
01-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i know he's even said himself that he's a bit more of a playmaker, but the guy has an absolutely killer shot...he could score a lot of goals if he uses it regularly

as for jessiman's skating..he was always a big guy who could skate well, and he did work on his skating over the summer, but i think when you're that big and still growing into your frame especially, you always gotta keep working on it. from what i saw of him, he's definatly not a bad skater, he's never gonna be amazingly graceful or anything, but he's not clunky and slow out there...i was somewhat surprised at how mobile he looks out there
He's also got that quickness which you don't necessarily expect from a big guy. The ability to get moving quickly, quick hands etc...

I guess I'd like to see him use his size a little more effectively...he seems to not get involved as much as I'd like, but I'd expect that to come with age and more coaching.

I don't know that he'll ever be as good as many of those other players...to be honest I expect it will take him some time to adjust to the higher level. He's going to be coming off an injury interrupted season having played with a lower ranked team in a weaker division that hasn't produced a lot of NHLers in recent times. It doesn't mean he never will, just means that some of the things that help other players may not be there.

He's got a great attitude though...which can actually count for a lot.

Old
01-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Levitate

yeah i think it will take him awhile to adjust, and i think everyone had that in mind when he was drafted. he might be able to play in the AHL but probably wouldn't stand out at first, then get better and better as he gets more comfortable, etc.

as for using his size...yeah i think he'll always be more of the kind of big guy who will use his size to shield the puck, that kind of stuff. not run around knocking people over, but to give him an advantage against opposing defensemen, etc. hopefulyl he'll get a little more involved as he develops, but i'm not expecting him to be a big time banger or anything.

Old
01-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
I remember Dawes and Kozak played last year for a few games, if they play this year and u add Jessiman to that, that is 3 solid prospects. I hope they give them good ice time. Anyone know how much ice time Dawes and Kozak got when they played for the pack last year?
I really wouldn't list Kozak as a solid prospect. In my opinion, his chances at making the Rangers are slim to none, unless you want to call him up as a goon. Sure, he has put some points up on the board but I think its a great deal a by product of his linemates.

I would look for maybe Dawes, Jessiman, Dubinsky, Callahan and Graham getting a shot at possibly making the Pack roster, with maybe only 2 of them making it depending on injuries. We have plenty of 3rd and 4th liners that can chip in a point or two here and there. If anything, for a playoff run the Pack would look to bring in offense and even then might not add anyone to their roster because of a lack of chemistry with guys that have played together all year and are familiar with the system.

Remember, as great of a year as Dawes had last year, he didn't make the Pack playoff roster and it could be argued that the Pack actually have a deep roster this year, relative to last year. McGill, god bless him, has always put team play ahead of individual stars.

Last edited by Blueshirt13: 01-27-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old
01-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Levitate

is it ever usual for CHL callups to actually stick on an AHL roster at the end of the year? i mean, by that time teams are ready for the playoffs and their roster has been solid for a long time, introducing another random guy, and a rookie no less, doesn't seem like something most teams would do

as for jessiman playing at the end of the year...he'd basically have to have decided he's not going back to dartmouth, and after missing this whole year, i'm not sure he's ready to do that

Old
01-27-2005, 09:32 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

How about a future line of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
He's also got that quickness which you don't necessarily expect from a big guy. The ability to get moving quickly, quick hands etc...

I guess I'd like to see him use his size a little more effectively...he seems to not get involved as much as I'd like, but I'd expect that to come with age and more coaching.

I don't know that he'll ever be as good as many of those other players...to be honest I expect it will take him some time to adjust to the higher level. He's going to be coming off an injury interrupted season having played with a lower ranked team in a weaker division that hasn't produced a lot of NHLers in recent times. It doesn't mean he never will, just means that some of the things that help other players may not be there.

He's got a great attitude though...which can actually count for a lot.
Jessiman, Graham and someone like Murray to ride shotgun?
With all the recent talk of opening the game up the rangers have done the right thing by going to a forecheck system. We have the right combo of size, speed, grit and small scorers who should do well in that type of game. Plus look at our defensive prospects, almost every single one of them skate well, have size and there are several who play the body well.

Old
01-27-2005, 09:32 AM
allrevvedup25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
oh great, if you have anymore nice clips, post those too, thanks a lot

for some reason it won't let me upload it.

Old
01-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
I really wouldn't list Kozak as a solid prospect. In my opinion, his chances at making the Rangers are slim to none, unless you want to call him up as a goon. Sure, he has put some points up on the board but I think its a great deal a by product of his linemates.
While I'm not exactly a fan of Kozak, I wouldn't necessarily agree with your last statement. He's playing some with Dane Byers, who isn't exactly offense extraordinare. If anything he's been benefitting from playing on the power play and playing as a 19 year old against some younger opposition.

I will however agree that he's not going to make it as an offensive contributor, it'll be his grit/goon game that gets him the spot at the AHL level and then it will be up to him to make the most of that.

Old
01-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Jessiman, Graham and someone like Murray to ride shotgun?
With all the recent talk of opening the game up the rangers have done the right thing by going to a forecheck system. We have the right combo of size, speed, grit and small scorers who should do well in that type of game. Plus look at our defensive prospects, almost every single one of them skate well, have size and there are several who play the body well.
I don't expect Murray to be playing much beyond the 4th line to be honest, he just doesn't have the finishing skills it appears...not sure about Graham yet either, I still remain a little skeptical, but hold out hope that he can become an NHLer.

Closed Thread