HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Player's unbiased view of the Lockout (Lupul)

Old
09-30-2012, 07:43 PM
scotto11

vCash: 500
A Player's unbiased view of the Lockout (Lupul)

its a good read and according to the picture it could be lupul, ill see what i can find on the internet
http://ca.askmen.com/sports/fanatic/...kout-2012.html

scotto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:45 PM
cps230

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotto11 View Post
its a good read and according to the picture it could be lupul, ill see what i can find on the internet
http://ca.askmen.com/sports/fanatic/...kout-2012.html
It is infact Lupul. He tweeted this link either yesterday or the day before.

Joffrey Lupul ‏@JLupul

Ok here it is folks. My writing debut for .@askmen -An honest perspective of my view on the lockout. Be gentle http://*******/QxJd3H

cps230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Joey Hoser

It says right on the left that's it's Lupul.

TL/DR Version:

Owners/Bettman = Greedy. All their fault.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:01 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote from the comment section of the article:

Quote:
Leafs fans are more committed to their team than Whitney Houston was to Bobby Brown. Overall, they’ve probably taken about the same amount of abuse.

LMAO Is that true or what?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I disagree that fans are thought of first. In fact I doubt we're
thought of at all, except in a PR battle.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Garbs

Quote:
A Players unbiased
lmao, okay.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:37 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
lmao, okay.
Haha yeah. I guess we'll read Ed Snider's "unbiased" view next.

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Quote from the comment section of the article:

LMAO Is that true or what?
A few weekends ago I jokingly told my (Leafs fan) friend's girlfriend that you could never accuse a Leafs fan of having commitment issues.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Brown Dog

I agree with the general message of Lupul's piece. I was fully on board for a lockout last time around, even to the point of supporting the loss of a full year. The old model was surely broken and if it took a year with no hockey to break the union, install the cap, etc., so be it.

But this is crazy. We're less than 10 years removed from a full-year work stoppage and the league is doing it again? It's far too much to ask of the league's fans to endure two shutdowns within a decade.

I'm a diehard Leaf fan, a grown man who wears his Leafs sweater every game night. And like so many fans of this great league and game, I have invested a countless amount of money, time, attention, and energy into the NHL over the past 20+ years. And how does the league repay that commitment? By withholding the game every time the league's economics needs a tune-up.

I could live with one work stoppage if it meant fixing the problem--but it's wrong for the owners to go back to that well again so soon. I really hope it causes a major blow to the league, which was just starting to get back onto the North American sports radar. Lupul is absolutely right when he says this is a slap in the face to the fans.

(Also, how is this "unbiased.")

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Pinchy

Unbiased view? Please...it is completely biased.

Also, any time I hear a player say this:

it says to me that a lockout is the owners’ choice form of negotiation and that they are 100% comfortable taking a lock-them-out-and-see-how-they-react approach.

I pretty much ignore anything else that they say.

Yes, the owners locked you out. There is no CBA, how is that a surprise? Will the owners really take a chance that the players might take the Cup hostage and go on strike before the playoffs? ESPECIALLY with the way that Donald Fehr negotiates?

Also, since both sides agree that the deal doesn't work well for the owners, what onus is there on the players to negotiate a deal if they are still playing under the CBA that favours the players?

It is a stupid argument and I blame the players just as much for the lockout as I do the owners.

Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 11:16 AM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

I read this last night and agree with everything Lupul said.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Doesn't matter what players say or do.. It's all about getting these greedy people in a room and give them a shake. Holy.

10-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Dude, common. Don't be so naive. The players are just as responsible for this as the owners.

I find it personally insulting that they expect us to believe it's all the owners fault and the players are just innocent guys who want to play hockey. You should feel the same way.

It's a bunch of millionaires, most of whom have never had a job, bickering over how to cut up the pie that is our(fans) hard earned money. Surely an over-simplification, but not that much of one.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Aplayaz2000

i was guna, but then i got bored reading

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Pellegrino

Just out of curiosity. Who would want to buy and invest in a NHL club if it's almost impossible to make a profit?

I think the players act like selfish *****. They have the best job in the world and they are collecting millions. Surely they sacrifice a lot, but they aren't exactly real soldiers in real wars and I don't see those other occupations showing the same greed.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Just out of curiosity. Who would want to buy and invest in a NHL club if it's almost impossible to make a profit?

I think the players act like selfish *****. They have the best job in the world and they are collecting millions. Surely they sacrifice a lot, but they aren't exactly real soldiers in real wars and I don't see those other occupations showing the same greed.
To be fair, I do understand the need to ensure that the owners don't run off with all the money, but what about the thousands of other people who work just as hard to make the league as successful as it is, like the trainers, people maintaining the ice, buildings, etc? Nobody is looking out for them. There's no "fair" deal for them to come out of this. Everyone involved in these negotiations is going to win, no matter how bad they "lose".

It's a bunch of over-paid, under-worked, mostly uneducated people with such a feeling of self-entitlement that they are missing what is important to everyone. Players and owners included.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:33 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
You didn't think it was a little biased and one-sided at all? If the players walked in to Bettmans office tomorrow and said "Okay, 50-50!" this thing would probably be over pretty quick. There's enough blame for both sides.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post

I don\t see other jobs saying "we're guna give you a paycut", either though. This lockout is because of Gary Bettman, end of story. What was the point of the last lockout? Everything was supposed to be good in the NHL and the cap makes the owners be able to make more PLUS they took a big pay cut then. Sure, some teams who were in trouble then (Pittsburgh and Ottawa) are great now but both have played in the finals since 2007. That sure plays a factor (where would Pens be without Sid?). Bettman said just 2 years ago ALL teams are doing well. But now who are struggling? Coyotes are in the most financial trouble yet Bettman insists on leaving them in Phoenix. Why..

The players are definitely no more greedy than the billionaire owners thatès for sure.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 05:52 PM
mapes

Quick question, though. The 57-43 cut right now, does that tie into merchandise sales for players and whatnot.. I know the league makes 3.3 billion a year or whatever right now and players got 57 percent of that (1.8 billion), divided by 30 teams is 110 mill. 57 percent of that gives you the salary cap or whatever. Just wondering if that has to do with jersey sales as well or is that in your contract, as to how much cut you get

Old
10-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Ari91

I like how he starts off by saying that it isn't a PR piece but then proceeds to spout off every PA talking point that we've heard time and time again from the players this season. You can regurgitate information that has been fed to you by your union leader...should I be impressed by this?

He also says that he doesn't care to sway public opinion, but then why focus your article entirely on PA propaganda and taking shots at the league? What purpose is your article if you're only going to repeat Fehr's talking points...as if we haven't heard them enough? Why not mention that while Bettman has had 3 work stoppages under his tenure, his own union leader has been involved in perhaps twice as many work stoppages during his tenure in the sports world? Why not mention that in addition to record revenue, players average salaries have also grown substantially? Why not also mention that while the union wants more revenue sharing, the league has at least made movement in the RS department (wait...I wonder if Fehr has even told his minions that).

I'm sick and tired of the players asking for what's fair as though there is some black and white answer to what is fair here. Fair to them will always mean that their interests are prioritized above anyone else involved in the process - stop trying to tell me that you're really interested in a deal that gives the league just as much fairness as it does your own. If you cared so much about that, you wouldn't make a proposal that asks the league to forget rollbacks, delink from the cap, provided fixed salary increases and all the while HOPE that our projections are correct so you can save some money. Give me a break. Kudos to Lupul for a well articulated article but there is definitely some disingenuous (or perhaps it's a lack of understanding) of what his union's offer is about and why there are concerns.

Last edited by Ari91: 10-01-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Quick question, though. The 57-43 cut right now, does that tie into merchandise sales for players and whatnot.. I know the league makes 3.3 billion a year or whatever right now and players got 57 percent of that (1.8 billion), divided by 30 teams is 110 mill. 57 percent of that gives you the salary cap or whatever. Just wondering if that has to do with jersey sales as well or is that in your contract, as to how much cut you get
Yes, merchandise sales are considered revenue. From what I've heard, plain team jerseys aren't considered part of hockey related revenue but all jerseys bought with a player's name on it goes into the HRR pot which the players in turn get a piece of the pie from.

Old
10-01-2012, 07:23 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Yes, merchandise sales are considered revenue. From what I've heard, plain team jerseys aren't considered part of hockey related revenue but all jerseys bought with a player's name on it goes into the HRR pot which the players in turn get a piece of the pie from.
Okay, thanks. I was wondering plain jerseys as well but you answered both

Old
10-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinaphps View Post
The 57-43 cut right now, does that tie into merchandise sales for players and whatnot.

From what I understand, part of the players 57% share includes merchandise, ticket sales, concessions, parking on game day, suites...there's probably more I'm missing.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
From what I understand, part of the players 57% share includes merchandise, ticket sales, concessions, parking on game day, suites...there's probably more I'm missing.
Does it subtract things like endorsement, paid appearances, commercials etc?

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Does it subtract things like endorsement, paid appearances, commercials etc?
No, player endorsements of any kind are additional money that a player earns and it doesn't affect the revenue calculation or revenue split. So a guy like Crosby who has endorsements with Reebok Tim Horton's Gatorade, and Bell Canada, the money he makes from those endorsements goes right into his pocket...well, I'm sure a portion of the money goes to his agent.