HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leaf fans: would you trade kadri for luongo?

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Intense Rage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Thanks.

I would be surprised if this happens, but could definitely see some players values taking a hit. Then again, for cap floor teams it would be nice to carry a hollow cap hit without an actual cash expenditure behind it.

Luongo for Hossa?
lol and why would we do that? Hossa was our best forward last year, we would not trade him for a goalie who has single-handedly lost games for his team in the playoffs. The Hawks have first hand account of his shaky mental psyche, we are not trading our best forward for a player who is a wildcard in the playoffs.

Counter offer, Luongo for Rotislav Olesz +2nd round pick, it is the Hawks version of Komisarek + 2nd.

We do not want Luongo unless he came cheap, he will never be worth Marian Hossa... ever.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
lol and why would we do that? Hossa was our best forward last year, we would not trade him for a goalie who has single-handedly lost games for his team in the playoffs. The Hawks have first hand account of his shaky mental psyche, we are not trading our best forward for a player who is a wildcard in the playoffs.

Counter offer, Luongo for Rotislav Olesz +2nd round pick, it is the Hawks version of Komisarek + 2nd.

We do not want Luongo unless he came cheap, he will never be worth Marian Hossa... ever.
Fair enough. Figured similar contracts for each other, for assets that fill team needs (Luongo's playoff problems are blown way out of proportion, and people fail to give him credit for his stellar performances while dwelling on the few bad ones...he was our playoff MVP the year we were a game away from the Cup).

10-02-2012, 12:27 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
lol and why would we do that? Hossa was our best forward last year, we would not trade him for a goalie who has single-handedly lost games for his team in the playoffs. The Hawks have first hand account of his shaky mental psyche, we are not trading our best forward for a player who is a wildcard in the playoffs. Counter offer, Luongo for Rotislav Olesz +2nd round pick, it is the Hawks version of Komisarek + 2nd.

To be fair, we're not asking for Toews.
And Vancouver is not going to fill the biggest hole that Chicago has without getting something back in return.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Luongo
Booth

Hossa
Crawford

???

Old
10-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Luongo
Booth

Hossa
Crawford

???
I could live with that, although there's nothing we need Crawford for. If we're giving up a legit top 6 winger in Booth then we should at least get a 1st instead of Crawford.

Although I definitely prefer it to Leafs fans offers.

But Chicago fans will say no.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I could live with that, although there's nothing we need Crawford for. If we're giving up a legit top 6 winger in Booth then we should at least get a 1st instead of Crawford.

Although I definitely prefer it to Leafs fans offers.

But Chicago fans will say no.
My thinking is it gives Vancouver a safety net if Schneider cant handle a full workload yet, not a bad tandem at all.

I was thinking of adding in a 2nd going to Chicago, as I do think its a little lop-sided for Vancouver, but Luongo behind Chicago's D should be pretty great.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:31 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I think there are too many teams (around 10-12?) with contracts going to age 40 for the new CBA to include that change without grandfathering in the old contracts. A bunch of owners would probably vote against that unless they received a lot of player concessions on top of that.
Perhaps that many owners might object. They'd be in something of an awkward position though since they clearly expected those players to play out their entire contracts when they signed them. What's the harm in making sure the contracted cap hit expectations are fulfilled through the contract then?

I mean, if they didn't expect the player to play out the entire contract then that would mean they committed a circumvention of the CBA when signing the deals. Surely they wouldn't admit to having done that?

Old
10-02-2012, 02:35 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Perhaps that many owners might object. They'd be in something of an awkward position though since they clearly expected those players to play out their entire contracts when they signed them. What's the harm in making sure the contracted cap hit expectations are fulfilled through the contract then?

I mean, if they didn't expect the player to play out the entire contract then that would mean they committed a circumvention of the CBA when signing the deals. Surely they wouldn't admit to having done that?
It's one thing to take a gamble and give that contract expecting a player to play it to expiration, with no risk of any cap penalties in the event the player doesn't play out the deal. It's another to hand out those contracts knowing full well that the risk of the player not playing out the contract still has your team paying that cap hit.

I think it's perfectly plausible that a team could sign a player to a long term contract with good intentions, but under different circumstances may not have handed out the same term.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
My thinking is it gives Vancouver a safety net if Schneider cant handle a full workload yet, not a bad tandem at all.

I was thinking of adding in a 2nd going to Chicago, as I do think its a little lop-sided for Vancouver, but Luongo behind Chicago's D should be pretty great.
The difference between Luongo and Crawford is noticeably bigger than between Hossa and Booth, imo.

All the reasons why Luongo`s value should be low(Age, contract, etc) apply to Hossa as well, and Luongo plays a more important position.

Valuewise something around that would be close, but most Chicago fans don`t want to give up anything of value for Luongo.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
LA fans correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Lombardi in danger of possibly losing his job if the team had not made the playoffs this year. I thought I read that somewhere...
Nope. Lombardi was free to re-build the roster like he pleased. He only faced scrutiny for the first time this year since a team that was expected to go all the way did miserable during the first 3/4 of the season relative to expectations.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:19 PM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Lets say, Kadri + gunner for example for luongo?

Curious, considering all the drama surrounding Kadri.
IMO Vancouver gets robbed in this trade.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
There is no way I would trade anyone for Luongo and his contract with the rumors of the proposed changes to those long term deals and the cap hit counting against the team for the duration of the contract even after the player is finished in the NHL.

Under the current system I doubt I even give up Kadri for Luongo. Vancouver has limited options and I would be seriously surprised if they receive anything of value for Luongo, not anything against the guy he's a great goalie one of the best in the league. But his contract and limited trade options are right now killing his value imo any how.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:29 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
There is no way I would trade anyone for Luongo and his contract with the rumors of the proposed changes to those long term deals and the cap hit counting against the team for the duration of the contract even after the player is finished in the NHL.

Under the current system I doubt I even give up Kadri for Luongo. Vancouver has limited options and I would be seriously surprised if they receive anything of value for Luongo, not anything against the guy he's a great goalie one of the best in the league. But his contract and limited trade options are right now killing his value imo any how.
What's limiting his trade value right now is the lockout. He can't be traded. When the lockout if over we will know what the rules are on these contracts and I'd expect that a deal gets done pretty quickly. A few teams have a real high need to upgrade in net.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:37 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
The difference between Luongo and Crawford is noticeably bigger than between Hossa and Booth, imo.

All the reasons why Luongo`s value should be low(Age, contract, etc) apply to Hossa as well, and Luongo plays a more important position.

Valuewise something around that would be close, but most Chicago fans don`t want to give up anything of value for Luongo.
I would have to disagree with you there, Hossa is seen as probably being one of the top 10 wingers in the League. Booth, I doubt would be top 30..Luongo is probably around a top 10 goalie, Crawford I would say is probably top 20, maybe 25.

Closer than you think IMO.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
I would have to disagree with you there, Hossa is seen as probably being one of the top 10 wingers in the League. Booth, I doubt would be top 30..Luongo is probably around a top 10 goalie, Crawford I would say is probably top 20, maybe 25.

Closer than you think IMO.
There are only 30 starters in the league, being top 25 doesn't put you on the same level as even a top 50 winger.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Ryp37

i wouldnt trade luongo for a out of shape kid who acts like a baby when chirped

Old
10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
i wouldnt trade luongo for a out of shape kid who acts like a baby when chirped
That's an unfair evaluation...

But it would take a lot more than Kadri to get Luongo.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:56 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Which is what Burke said that he wouldn't do, create one hole to fill another.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
TieClark

Quote:

Gillis would take Kadri for Luongo and run

Old
10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I highly doubt that.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Homegrown Kings
rangdemption song

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
To be fair, we're not asking for Toews.
And Vancouver is not going to fill the biggest hole that Chicago has without getting something back in return.
From my take, Van and Chicago are not ideal trading partners at all for that very reason.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
If all it took to get Luongo was Kadri then a deal would have been done long ago. I don't get the sense that either side sees Kadri as a blue chipper.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:17 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Which is what Burke said that he wouldn't do, create one hole to fill another.
What kind of hole does Kadri create though?

Old
10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
What's limiting his trade value right now is the lockout. He can't be traded. When the lockout if over we will know what the rules are on these contracts and I'd expect that a deal gets done pretty quickly. A few teams have a real high need to upgrade in net.
All depends on the new CBA, for all we know a contract like his becomes even more of a handcuff making it impossible to trade him. Even if the new CBA doesn't impact his contract's value, Luongo will have lost another year (if it is a full year lockout) of elite playing status, and put him one year closer to retirement. Hard to argue that his value will increase as a result of the lockout.

I think Gillis made a huge mistake holding on to him, and although I wanted Luongo for the right price on the Leafs, it appears not acquiring him could have been a great move by Burke due to the potential changes to the CBA.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:27 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
What kind of hole does Kadri create though?
He's a high level offensive prospect. Glad that I could help to educate you but that should be common knowledge.

Closed Thread