HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense and goaltending remain strengths in Colorado Avalanche top 20

Old
09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Defense and goaltending remain strengths in Colorado Avalanche top 20

The Colorado Avalanche’s defensive and goaltending prospects occupy eight of its top 10 spots. From offensive-minded defensemen to stay at home defenders, the Avs’ future on the blue line is looking bright. The biggest problem Colorado is facing is a lack of premium offensive talent in its system. Michael Sgarbossa and Joey Hishon have the potential to be impact NHL players, but the list ends there. Colorado is stacked with undersized forwards who consistently get hurt playing too physically on the ice.

1. (1) Stefan Elliott, D, 7.5B
Drafted 2nd round, 49th overall, 2009

Stefan Elliott still heads the Colorado Avalanche’s stacked defensive youth.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Millan over Aittokallio? Pickard over Hishon?

Never change HF rankings.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:42 PM
henchman24
If and if...

The rankings are a mess, but it is nice to read some thoughts on the prospects.

Major glares I see:

Millan over any other goalie prospect
Pickard at #4 is too high (I see him as #7 or so)
Olver is too low at #12
Heard too low at #14

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Millan over Aittokallio? Pickard over Hishon?

Never change HF rankings.
The bold I agree with you. As of now though, looking at it objectively, I would put Pickard over Hishon. The guy missed a year of hockey. While I hope and believe he's still going to turn out alright, as of now Pickard is better.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Drij

yeah I still don't get how Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is still considered a prospect for the oilers while Landeskog and Larsson have been promoted...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:04 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Millan is terrible. He wasn't impressive when I saw him last year.

JWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:49 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
yeah I still don't get how Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is still considered a prospect for the oilers while Landeskog and Larsson have been promoted...
It would just be something else oilers fans would complain about in relation to RNH...

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 08:02 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

What a terrible written article.

I swear it seems that our writer just watches the WJC game and a few casual games here and there because there are just so many mistakes.

Tyson Barrie: No mention of how he played with the Avs and how he was better than Elliott during that his time.

Nate Condon: The guy is better defensively than offensively because he played TOP minutes on the PK and scored a good amount of this points shorthanded.

Aitto: No doubt in my mind Aitto is the best goaler entering Lake Erie. True Pickard and Patterson might develop better than him, but as it stands no. Also seems our writer just focused on his WJC games because I can tell you is he is VERY good when he is in butterfly mode and has strong legs to push him laterally.

Gaunce: Absolutely absurd of the season he had and gets demoted. Should've been Top 5 IMO.

Millan: Being over Patterson is absurd as well. He is the worst of the bunch.

Connolly: LOL no talent? Sounds like no one has been watching him and I can tell you that he has talent and much more than Olver, but Olver is also bigger and Connolly's size is his only downfall.

Brad Malone: Should've never been demoted as well.

Troy Bourke: 5’10” and 156-pound frame. Goes to show our writer doesn't watch them because he is up to 180 now.

Terrible.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

i could not disagree more with the writer and his thoughts on connolly.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
i could not disagree more with the writer and his thoughts on connolly.
I never understood what people saw in him.

Old
09-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Drizzt1

The biggest problem for us, is that we need to start converting some of this "potential" into "runs on the board". Otherwise, we will continue to suffer a perpetual re-build. Especially in a market where our ownership group will not invest in veteran talent to help refine the rookies.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:46 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

was this some kind of april fools joke released early? i know HF's rankings for the Avs are normally bad but this is epic fail.
Millan over Aittokallio? Hishon and Sgarbossa under Gaunce? i don't know what the writer was scouting when he wrote some of the stuff about the prospects either.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
The biggest problem for us, is that we need to start converting some of this "potential" into "runs on the board". Otherwise, we will continue to suffer a perpetual re-build. Especially in a market where our ownership group will not invest in veteran talent to help refine the rookies.
Parenteau, Zanon and Mitchell are not veteran talent? Giguere and O'Brien aren't helping refine the rookies?

In the past 10 years (starting in 2011) the Avs have drafted the following NHLers.

Landeskog (our sophomore Captain), Duchene, O'Reilly, Shattenkirk, Galiardi, Stewart, Stastny, Wolski, Richardson, Jones, Boychuk, Gilbert, Budaj, McCormick, Svatos, Yip.

That's a 18% drafting success.

We have the following players knocking on the doorstep,

Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce, Olver, Malone

and the following players having at least reached the NHL briefly (which is more than most prospects do anyways).

Holos, Oreskovich, Hensick, Cumiskey.

That's a 28% hit on players to reach the NHL. I'd love to see you do the stats for other teams and tell me I'm completely off base in saying we have decent numbers for how absolutely dreadful our first 5 years of those numbers are.

That doesn't even include the promising prospects we currently have like Siemens, Hishon, Pickard, Aittokallio, etc from 2001-2011.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I never understood what people saw in him.
it's just a personal bias with me growing up near to him, he was the best player in calgary every year playing underage in older levels of hockey , even when him and eberle played together he was the ring leader but eberle was no doubt a talent as well, his work ethic was his glaring weakness as he relied mostly on his talent as he was no doubt the best player aside from maybe hickey in southern alberta for 89's, 88's 90's and people in that age range from alberta.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

I stopped expecting the Avalanche rankings to be even remotely accurate a long time ago. We don't have a full time writer at HF, and it seems like they come and go multiple times a year. It's the job no ones seems to want, so they just force some guy who doesn't know anything about it on the job. I'm sure they try their best.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:19 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Connolly: LOL no talent? Sounds like no one has been watching him and I can tell you that he has talent and much more than Olver, but Olver is also bigger and Connolly's size is his only downfall.
I hope this is true. I wasn't particularly impressed with Connolly in the NHL, but it's a small sample size. Olver is as good of a player as almost anyone on this team but he gets battered regularly, especially when they stick him at center, which frankly doesn't work with his height.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Aerolanche

Who is Richard Greco? A friend of Millan? Having him ranked ahead of Aittokallio is ludacris. What's worse is that it appears Millan was previously ranked ahead of Aittokallio and somehow remained ahead in an 'updated' ranking.

10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
I hope this is true. I wasn't particularly impressed with Connolly in the NHL, but it's a small sample size. Olver is as good of a player as almost anyone on this team but he gets battered regularly, especially when they stick him at center, which frankly doesn't work with his height.
Connolly definitely has more skill than Olver, when I watched him in college he was very elusive and crafty. Seems that Connolly is a top 6 player or bust to be honest. I think he's too small for a grinding role. Olver definitely isn't a player to back down, always plays with his heart on his sleeve. There is even a good chance that players who play with heart can over come anything.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Connolly definitely has more skill than Olver, when I watched him in college he was very elusive and crafty. Seems that Connolly is a top 6 player or bust to be honest. I think he's too small for a grinding role. Olver definitely isn't a player to back down, always plays with his heart on his sleeve. There is even a good chance that players who play with heart can over come anything.
i agree with this, guy is pretty stocky, him being listed at 5'9 is generous , connolly might be able to take punishment in a bottom 6 role , but wont be able to provide much on the forecheck and will have to use his hands more in the corners if he wants to win battles.