HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 04:11 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
I would be open to the possibility of trading for Lou, but by all accounts, it sounds like he wants to be traded back to Florida. If that is indeed his preference, then no sense us trying to get him if he won't be 100% happy here.

Old
11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
I suspect he wouldn't mind playing here as much as some people assume:

Last edited by worraps: 11-05-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
just for *****

What about Phaneuf?

His contract is only two years, Burke has Rielly and Gardiner...and terrible goaltending.

...it could be a good time to build a Mackinnon worthy squad.

Gagner, Lander, MPS and a 2nd for Phaneuf, Lombardi, Ross

Old
11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Don't want him but if it's JBo, the rumors start to make sense.
-Player with a NTC willing to waive for Edm
-Plays on a team with potential cap issues.
-Bob Stauffer has been pumping Jbo's tires for while now.
-Cost probably reasonable
-If it doesn't work out the last year could potentially be bought out without compromising the cap, ie depends on the new cba

Too many coincidences here.

Anyway thanks for the heads up Swany.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
rockinghockey

I would take JBo for two years if it was a reasonable deal, I am not interested in Phanuef, he is way over rated, seen him get beat too many times wide.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:06 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Don't want him but if it's JBo, the rumors start to make sense.
-Player with a NTC willing to waive for Edm
-Plays on a team with potential cap issues.
-Bob Stauffer has been pumping Jbo's tires for while now.
-Cost probably reasonable
-If it doesn't work out the last year could potentially be bought out without compromising the cap, ie depends on the new cba

Too many coincidences here.

Anyway thanks for the heads up Swany.
Plus Calgary will probaly be looking to rebuild if season is lost

Old
11-05-2012, 11:00 PM
OilerGoalie4Vez

What if you can trade cap space in the new CBA still no for Lou?

Old
11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Plus Calgary will probaly be looking to rebuild if season is lost
Don't kid yourself,Jay Feaster is convinced that the Flames don't need a rebuild.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Ranfordrocks

loungo cant make it in van sure as hell aint gonna make it in edm or toronto the guy doesnt play well under pressure markets
he be better off in florida

Old
11-06-2012, 12:05 PM
rockinghockey

I don't want Luongo with his cap hit and length end of conversation

Old
11-06-2012, 02:41 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I don't want Luongo with his cap hit and length end of conversation
His cap hit isn't bad and likely won't be bad in 5 years in relation to what other guys will get and are getting already. Its the length that is the issue on his cap circumventing contract. The new CBA will determine whether this would be a lame move or a ludicrous move.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:45 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
loungo cant make it in van sure as hell aint gonna make it in edm or toronto the guy doesnt play well under pressure markets
he be better off in florida
I just want to respectfully speak up against the fallacy that he doesn't play well in pressure markets because it isn't true. Luongo in Vancouver has been a Vezina nominee twice, a Hart finalist, and has taken the Canucks to game 7 of the SCF in a series where he received absolutely no offensive support at all. Luongo has won a gold medal on home ice, in the biggest pressure situation of all. It's a sad truth that Luongo takes the blame for the Canucks lack of a Cup, when the real blame should go to the entire team. The entire team is mentally fragile, and I seriously question the leadership of the team that will quit in any Stanley Cup final game. It will become clear very soon once Luongo has been traded that he was never the problem, and that the problem will likely not be addressed until people admit that the Sedins leadership and the rest of the core players aren't good enough.

Luongo in Edmonton would help you guys a lot, as he plugs one of your top holes. He's a veteran who can help lead your young core, but that same young core will likely become very very expensive in a few years and I'm not sure if Luongo's contract length is the best thing for you. Of course, his cap hit isn't that bad, but you might be able to get away with a cheaper, more average goalie in the future once your stars become established. Just my 2 cents.

11-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345

Old
11-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I just want to respectfully speak up against the fallacy that he doesn't play well in pressure markets because it isn't true. Luongo in Vancouver has been a Vezina nominee twice, a Hart finalist, and has taken the Canucks to game 7 of the SCF in a series where he received absolutely no offensive support at all. Luongo has won a gold medal on home ice, in the biggest pressure situation of all. It's a sad truth that Luongo takes the blame for the Canucks lack of a Cup, when the real blame should go to the entire team. The entire team is mentally fragile, and I seriously question the leadership of the team that will quit in any Stanley Cup final game. It will become clear very soon once Luongo has been traded that he was never the problem, and that the problem will likely not be addressed until people admit that the Sedins leadership and the rest of the core players aren't good enough.

Luongo in Edmonton would help you guys a lot, as he plugs one of your top holes. He's a veteran who can help lead your young core, but that same young core will likely become very very expensive in a few years and I'm not sure if Luongo's contract length is the best thing for you. Of course, his cap hit isn't that bad, but you might be able to get away with a cheaper, more average goalie in the future once your stars become established. Just my 2 cents.
He wore that pressure with his performance, I was not all too pleased with his play in that game. That said I agree he's not as bad as some are making him out to be, his contract on the other hand......

11-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Krut

Quote:

Although you're right that he didn't have much offensive support, he straight up **** the bed in the 4 finals games the Nucks lost, while also nearly blowing it against Chicago in the first series. Beyond that, he seems to like to make idiotic comments to the media that make him a lightning rod for hatred and motivation for opposition fans as well as the teams he plays against.

The above leads me to believe that he does in fact have issues with playing in the spotlight. That being said, I think that the fans, media, etc are at the point with Luongo in Vancouver that they are just waiting for him to either massively choke, say something stupid, or both, and enjoy hyping it up when he almost inevitably does one of the above (I know I do). I think that if he has a fresh start in a place like Edmonton, plays well, and keeps his mouth shut, he could shake the entrenched perception that he has with the fans and media, and see some success.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Although you're right that he didn't have much offensive support, he straight up **** the bed in the 4 finals games the Nucks lost, while also nearly blowing it against Chicago in the first series. Beyond that, he seems to like to make idiotic comments to the media that make him a lightning rod for hatred and motivation for opposition fans as well as the teams he plays against.

The above leads me to believe that he does in fact have issues with playing in the spotlight. That being said, I think that the fans, media, etc are at the point with Luongo in Vancouver that they are just waiting for him to either massively choke, say something stupid, or both, and enjoy hyping it up when he almost inevitably does one of the above (I know I do). I think that if he has a fresh start in a place like Edmonton, plays well, and keeps his mouth shut, he could shake the entrenched perception that he has with the fans and media, and see some success.
Not to turn this into a discussion of the Canucks Stanley Cup playoffs, I will end my side of the discussion on this: Luongo did not crap the bed in the 4 games the Canucks lost. I don't understand how a goalie who gave up 3 goals in a game 7 can be considered as ******** the bed. I understand his performance in Boston was very sub par, but also consider the Canucks entire defense was badly injured and/or suspended. Also, the Canucks scoring 3 goals in the 4 games we lost was not going to win anything. Tim Thomas was poor in the TB series in 4 games, but they won one of those because he got offensive support that Luongo didn't get.

I don't think Luongo's comments suggest he has trouble playing in the spotlight, more that he is a cocky person. He has a touch of arrogance, and that makes people either really like him or really despise him. Chances are, if he isn't on your team, you're going to despise him.

I think Edmonton is a team that will surprise many "experts" this year and actually legitimately take a run at a playoff spot. I also think that if you had Luongo in net that he would likely help you guys make it past the first round of the playoffs, and the Oilers would be a huge force (depending on who you give up).

From a Canucks perspective I would be happy with a deal involving assets such as Gagner, Hemsky, MPS, Hartikainen, 1st round pick (obviously not all of them). I understand you can't move Gagner as you won't have a 2C (unless another is acquired), but the other assets interest me as well. When you consider that these assets primarily aren't huge parts of your team right now (with the exception of Hemsky to an extent) it's essentially adding an elite goalie without taking away from your roster. The only question is, can you stomach the years after the first five?

Old
11-06-2012, 05:36 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Not to turn this into a discussion of the Canucks Stanley Cup playoffs, I will end my side of the discussion on this: Luongo did not crap the bed in the 4 games the Canucks lost. I don't understand how a goalie who gave up 3 goals in a game 7 can be considered as ******** the bed. I understand his performance in Boston was very sub par, but also consider the Canucks entire defense was badly injured and/or suspended. Also, the Canucks scoring 3 goals in the 4 games we lost was not going to win anything. Tim Thomas was poor in the TB series in 4 games, but they won one of those because he got offensive support that Luongo didn't get.

I don't think Luongo's comments suggest he has trouble playing in the spotlight, more that he is a cocky person. He has a touch of arrogance, and that makes people either really like him or really despise him. Chances are, if he isn't on your team, you're going to despise him.

I think Edmonton is a team that will surprise many "experts" this year and actually legitimately take a run at a playoff spot. I also think that if you had Luongo in net that he would likely help you guys make it past the first round of the playoffs, and the Oilers would be a huge force (depending on who you give up).

From a Canucks perspective I would be happy with a deal involving assets such as Gagner, Hemsky, MPS, Hartikainen, 1st round pick (obviously not all of them). I understand you can't move Gagner as you won't have a 2C (unless another is acquired), but the other assets interest me as well. When you consider that these assets primarily aren't huge parts of your team right now (with the exception of Hemsky to an extent) it's essentially adding an elite goalie without taking away from your roster. The only question is, can you stomach the years after the first five?
Luongo is as elite as Hemsky IMO. Then you factor in his awful contract and his value decreases, there is also the fact that he has lost his spot on his team a team which needs him gone due to cap restrictions and the amount of money they have committed to goalies

Old
11-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Krut

Quote:
I don't understand how you can't.

It doesn't really matter how many goals he let in in game 7, its how the goals went in. The first one he was caught standing to one side of the net on a centering pass, and wasn't even aware enough of the pucks position to even react to a fairly routine play. Bad goal. He put the second one in his own net after flopping around in the crease after a wrap around. Bad goal. The third one was a complete back breaker, in which he decided to belly flop on the ice in order to save a partial break away. All he had to do was get in front of the puck, but he still somehow found a way for both Bergeron and the puck to get by him. Bad goal.

Yes, the whole Canucks team was bad that day, but you simply cannot win the Stanley Cup if your goalie turns in that type of performance in game 7.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:32 PM
topchowda

Lu for Hemsky straight up.

Luongo may play bad in big games, but if gets Oilers to the finals I aint complaining.

Hemsky is a damn good RW, something canucks need.

Lu's deal breaker is his contract, Hemskys is his injuries, both cancel each other out.

Oilers have to good RW to play 1st and 2nd line RW plus some decent RW prospects. Id rather get a good goalie for 3-4 years then send him to the minors once he starts to suck (that is if contract goes back to Van)

Old
11-06-2012, 08:01 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Lu for Hemsky straight up.

Luongo may play bad in big games, but if gets Oilers to the finals I aint complaining.

Hemsky is a damn good RW, something canucks need.

Lu's deal breaker is his contract, Hemskys is his injuries, both cancel each other out.

Oilers have to good RW to play 1st and 2nd line RW plus some decent RW prospects. Id rather get a good goalie for 3-4 years then send him to the minors once he starts to suck (that is if contract goes back to Van)
Pass. Hemsky's injuries would be a potential 2 year problem for them. Luongo's contract would be a 10 year problem
for us. They don't balance out.

Besides, I want to see what Hemsky can do feeding a player like Yakupov. I think his value could be much higher by the trade deadline.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Angry Boys

It would seem like a very strange move for us to trade for Lu, in light of the years invested in developing Dubnyk, and that contract he just signed, which given the dollars was a reward for his further improvement in the future.
Whilst no one is saying that Dubnyk could take us on a deep play off run given what we have seen to date, the Oil have much more pressing roster needs that require addressing.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:33 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Pass. Hemsky's injuries would be a potential 2 year problem for them. Luongo's contract would be a 10 year problem
for us. They don't balance out.

Besides, I want to see what Hemsky can do feeding a player like Yakupov. I think his value could be much higher by the trade deadline.
That proposal would be contigent on the cap hit going back to Van if he was buried in the minors. Then wed get, 3ish years outta him and theyd get 3-4 years from Hemsky.

I agree itd be good to wait and see what he does with Yakupov to see if his value goes up. But realistically there wont be a #1 goalie available come deadline. Also theres the risk he continues to have injury problems and his value significally decreases.

For Hemsky I wouldnt mind dealing him for Lu if cap hit went back to van. Or be paired with Gagner to try and get a #2 center (looking at you, Boston/Avs/Philly)

Old
11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
I don't understand how you can't.

It doesn't really matter how many goals he let in in game 7, its how the goals went in. The first one he was caught standing to one side of the net on a centering pass, and wasn't even aware enough of the pucks position to even react to a fairly routine play. Bad goal. He put the second one in his own net after flopping around in the crease after a wrap around. Bad goal. The third one was a complete back breaker, in which he decided to belly flop on the ice in order to save a partial break away. All he had to do was get in front of the puck, but he still somehow found a way for both Bergeron and the puck to get by him. Bad goal.

Yes, the whole Canucks team was bad that day, but you simply cannot win the Stanley Cup if your goalie turns in that type of performance in game 7.
No, you cannot win the Stanley Cup if your team scores 0 goals.

Quite literally.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Soundwave

The criticism on Luongo honestly is unfair. Since coming to Vancouver they've had probably the best stretch in franchise history, and come within a hair of a Stanley Cup.

The Sedins should take a lot more crap for their SCF no-show, Luongo was solid in the SCF.

I'd take him on this team any day for a reasonable price, he'd immediately stabilize the franchise and give our kids room to make mistakes without the losses piling up.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The criticism on Luongo honestly is unfair. Since coming to Vancouver they've had probably the best stretch in franchise history, and come within a hair of a Stanley Cup.

The Sedins should take a lot more crap for their SCF no-show, Luongo was solid in the SCF.

I'd take him on this team any day for a reasonable price, he'd immediately stabilize the franchise and give our kids room to make mistakes without the losses piling up.
Fair point. Luongo gets all the blame for that series, but Daniel had 4 points and was -5 in the 7 games and Henrik was worse with 1 point and -7. These were the back to back Art Ross trophy winners and they were every bit as poor as Luongo. That whole series was ugly for Vancouver. Luongo would make the Oilers better for the next 3-4 seasons. I think it is honestly difficult to deny that.

Problem is that after those 3-4 years he is still around for another 7 years. Yeah, some goalies can play until when they are 36-37 and still put up strong numbers, but there aren't many who have ever done much after that.

Closed Thread