HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 09:16 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
The Luongo pressure only got worse with years, and became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

His stats are pretty great and he'd be an improvement in net for sure.

Depends what the new CBA gives us in terms of amnesty.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:20 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The criticism on Luongo honestly is unfair. Since coming to Vancouver they've had probably the best stretch in franchise history, and come within a hair of a Stanley Cup.

The Sedins should take a lot more crap for their SCF no-show, Luongo was solid in the SCF.

I'd take him on this team any day for a reasonable price, he'd immediately stabilize the franchise and give our kids room to make mistakes without the losses piling up.
great - games 1 and 5
good - game 2
brutal - game 3 , 4 and 6
bad - game 7

He was also very shaky in the olympics, where the team won in spite of his poor performance. HE played behind one of the best defensive teams in the league last season and was barely above average.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:22 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Fair point. Luongo gets all the blame for that series, but Daniel had 4 points and was -5 in the 7 games and Henrik was worse with 1 point and -7. These were the back to back Art Ross trophy winners and they were every bit as poor as Luongo. That whole series was ugly for Vancouver. Luongo would make the Oilers better for the next 3-4 seasons. I think it is honestly difficult to deny that.

Problem is that after those 3-4 years he is still around for another 7 years. Yeah, some goalies can play until when they are 36-37 and still put up strong numbers, but there aren't many who have ever done much after that.
Bingo. And by that point he will be turn from a short term benefit to a long term burden

Old
11-06-2012, 09:25 PM
SDig14

The only way to build a team that can contend for a decade or 2, similar to Detroit, is to avoid crippling contracts like the one Luongo has right now.

We will soon be getting out from under Khabibulin, and shortly after that it will be Horcoff, why would we want to add another terrible contract to the group?

The Hawks built a great team, but made 2 contract mistakes IMO: Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet. Huet was complete trash, and Campbell was just overpaid, and it led to them having to ship out a lot of great role players on that winning team, i.e. Ladd, Byfuglien, Versteeg, and then eventually Campbell himself.

If we are taking on a bigger contract, it better be max 3 years, nothing extending much farther than that would be good IMO.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:10 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
So Mike Smith is a UFA next year. Do we use Khabi's cap and sign this guy? Run a Dubnyk/Smith tandem....
Nope. Sean Burke is the best goalie coach in the world. He turned backup Bryzgalov into a Vezina finalist, who left and became much less than everyone thought. Smith was considered an AHL caliber goalie two years ago. If anything, just bring in Sean Burke.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:17 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Nope. Sean Burke is the best goalie coach in the world. He turned backup Bryzgalov into a Vezina finalist, who left and became much less than everyone thought. Smith was considered an AHL caliber goalie two years ago. If anything, just bring in Sean Burke.
Sean Burke could make a perfect goalie coach for Dubnyk too, who like Burke had great size and was extremely good at using it

Old
11-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Sean Burke could make a perfect goalie coach for Dubnyk too, who like Burke had great size and was extremely good at using it
This.

I've always thought Dubnyk's upside is Sean Burke, a good (but not great) tall goalie that takes up a lot of space and is technically sound (granted, Burke also had an excellent glove hand which can't be said for Devan).

Makes sense for why the Oilers would want him, but would he want to leave the desert for the tundra?

Old
11-07-2012, 09:23 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Since your owner technically is currently one of 30 other "investment owners" of the Phoenix Coyotes, perhaps you can request a transfer of Sean Burke to Edmonton? The work he's done has been nothing short of amazing

11-07-2012, 11:35 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Not to turn this into a discussion of the Canucks Stanley Cup playoffs, I will end my side of the discussion on this: Luongo did not crap the bed in the 4 games the Canucks lost. I don't understand how a goalie who gave up 3 goals in a game 7 can be considered as ******** the bed. I understand his performance in Boston was very sub par, but also consider the Canucks entire defense was badly injured and/or suspended. Also, the Canucks scoring 3 goals in the 4 games we lost was not going to win anything. Tim Thomas was poor in the TB series in 4 games, but they won one of those because he got offensive support that Luongo didn't get.

I don't think Luongo's comments suggest he has trouble playing in the spotlight, more that he is a cocky person. He has a touch of arrogance, and that makes people either really like him or really despise him. Chances are, if he isn't on your team, you're going to despise him.

I think Edmonton is a team that will surprise many "experts" this year and actually legitimately take a run at a playoff spot. I also think that if you had Luongo in net that he would likely help you guys make it past the first round of the playoffs, and the Oilers would be a huge force (depending on who you give up).

From a Canucks perspective I would be happy with a deal involving assets such as Gagner, Hemsky, MPS, Hartikainen, 1st round pick (obviously not all of them). I understand you can't move Gagner as you won't have a 2C (unless another is acquired), but the other assets interest me as well. When you consider that these assets primarily aren't huge parts of your team right now (with the exception of Hemsky to an extent) it's essentially adding an elite goalie without taking away from your roster. The only question is, can you stomach the years after the first five?
1st bolded: Your right, i despise him on the nucks, BUT not nearly as much as i would despise him on the Oilers.

2nd bolded: I wouldnt even be able to stomach the 1st year, let alone the 5th year, or the 10th year, or the bazillionth year...his contract reminds me of a Buzz Lightyear saying, it goes "to infinity.....and BEYOND"

Why are the nucks fans trying so GD hard to pawn him off on us? Go elswehere (maybe Detoit) and bother them instead please (not saying you in particular, you actually seem ok in here, i'm just speaking in general terms, the main board is flooded with nuck fans trying to "sell" him to us, like a fly-by-night used car salesman would try to sell you a lemon).

If he was as good as you guys are making him out to be, why the sell job? You shouldnt even need to sell him if he was that good still, face it, he's near the top of the hill and is ready to start sliding down the other side of it, plus his sled is bogged down with a ton of baggage to go along with it.

DO...NOT...WANT...THAT...CONTRACT!! Dont even care if Van has to take the cap hit, he has maybe a couple good years left, that does nothing for us long term, except ensure that we cant re-up all the kids when the time comes.

Last edited by misfit: 11-07-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: formatting
Old
11-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Up the Irons

Stauffer said there is the 'potential' for a wow trade. IOW, it's possible, which of coarse, is a fact. There is always the 'possibility' for a trade.

there is no basis to this. pure speculation, hype. and when nothing happens, or there is a typical Tambelini meh trade, Stauffer can say 'I only said there was the potential'.

And if it happens, he will say 'i called it.' which anyone could.

we are truly bored

Old
11-08-2012, 11:19 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Stauffer said there is the 'potential' for a wow trade. IOW, it's possible, which of coarse, is a fact. There is always the 'possibility' for a trade.

there is no basis to this. pure speculation, hype. and when nothing happens, or there is a typical Tambelini meh trade, Stauffer can say 'I only said there was the potential'.

And if it happens, he will say 'i called it.' which anyone could.

we are truly bored
And easily distractable from the arena issue.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:21 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
And easily distractable from the arena issue.
What arena issue?

Old
11-09-2012, 01:10 AM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdig14 View Post
what arena issue?
guys! Shut up, there's a wow trade happenings!!!!

Old
11-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Bergeron47

I know we've all agreed on Bouwmeester as the most likely player in this deal, but just for fun, I'll throw out a couple more names:

Mike Green - $6,083,333 x 3 years
I recall Stauffer cryptically using his name as a potential target immediately following the season a few months ago. As an RFA, the Caps recently re-signed him to this 3 year deal, however should be expendable with the emergence of Carlson, and the development of Alzner & Orlov as top 4 d-men. Alzner & Johansson should be expecting a significant raises next summer from their $1.285M & 900K salaries. Oh, and both goalies become free agents as well. The tandem currently shares a measily $1.7M between them this season.

James Wisniewski - $5,500,000 x 5 years
Stauffer referenced the player as recently becoming, or soon becoming redundant. Well, in the past 9 months, the Jackets acquired leader Jack Johnson and drafted franchise defenseman Ryan Murray. They also have a plethora of young, talented defensemen on the cusp of cracking the team full time. It makes sense for Howson to take this step and start a full rebuild after the Nash trade. I also believe the Jackets have a self-imposed cap. Could be a $$ problem down the line with Johansen, Murray on ELC, and Anisimov & Brassard getting raises. Also may want extra $$ to pay a competent goalie.

Brent Seabrooke - 5,800,000 x 4 years
Their current payroll sits at $64M and they don't have a #2C or a decent goalie. With Leddy needing a new contract, the Hawks may need to shed salary to address glaring needs.

Dan Boyle $6,666,666 x 2 years
SJ has alot of big contracts in Thornton(7), Marleau(6.9), Boyle (6.66), Burns (5.8), and Havlat(5). Pavelski & Couture both need new contracts in 2 years. If SJ was smart, they'd start a rebuild with Thornton, Marleau & Boyle's contracts all ending in 2014, and trade all 3 for young assets moving forward as their cupboards are completely empty. They also sit at $65M and could have to shed salary if the cap is $60M

Old
11-09-2012, 03:56 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I know we've all agreed on Bouwmeester as the most likely player in this deal, but just for fun, I'll throw out a couple more names:

I recall Stauffer cryptically using his name as a potential target immediately following the season a few months ago. As an RFA, the Caps recently re-signed him to this 3 year deal, however should be expendable with the emergence of Carlson, and the development of Alzner & Orlov as top 4 d-men. Alzner & Johansson should be expecting a significant raises next summer from their $1.285M & 900K salaries. Oh, and both goalies become free agents as well. The tandem currently shares a measily $1.7M between them this season.

Stauffer referenced the player as recently becoming, or soon becoming redundant. Well, in the past 9 months, the Jackets acquired leader Jack Johnson and drafted franchise defenseman Ryan Murray. They also have a plethora of young, talented defensemen on the cusp of cracking the team full time. It makes sense for Howson to take this step and start a full rebuild after the Nash trade. I also believe the Jackets have a self-imposed cap. Could be a $$ problem down the line with Johansen, Murray on ELC, and Anisimov & Brassard getting raises. Also may want extra $$ to pay a competent goalie.

Their current payroll sits at $64M and they don't have a #2C or a decent goalie. With Leddy needing a new contract, the Hawks may need to shed salary to address glaring needs.

SJ has alot of big contracts in Thornton(7), Marleau(6.9), Boyle (6.66), Burns (5.8), and Havlat(5). Pavelski & Couture both need new contracts in 2 years. If SJ was smart, they'd start a rebuild with Thornton, Marleau & Boyle's contracts all ending in 2014, and trade all 3 for young assets moving forward as their cupboards are completely empty. They also sit at $65M and could have to shed salary if the cap is $60M
I don't see Washington re-signing Green and flipping him immediately, and although I like him, I'm not sure with his health and offensive inconsistency of late that he will be the answer.

I could see a Hemsky for Wisniewski type of deal, but once again, Wisniewski has injury/suspension problems every year, although he'd be the clear No.1 if he was healthy.

Brent Seabrook was the guy I suggested earlier, but Chicago probably doesn't move him UNLESS they pick up Luongo and then flip him to us for something like Gagner/Paajarvi/1st rounder and maybe (probably) a bit more. Even then, I don't see it.

Boyle...I like Boyle but he's kind of old to be going for. I also don't know if the Sharks have the D depth to necessarily replace him.

I'm still betting on Bouwmeester, but I could see us bringing in a guy on a longer term deal and then we would possibly amnesty Horcoff.

It's definitely not Luongo based on Bob's comments, so I think we are looking at a D-man here guys.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:

Brent "sea" "Brooke"
- 5,800,000 x 4 years

Fresh or salt water. What does he prefer?!

Old
11-09-2012, 08:41 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 463
Quote:

Cross Boyle off the list, he made it clear a few months ago that he has a NTC or NMC and that he has no plans on leaving SJ.

Seabrook I don't see as CHI needs him. I sooner see them move Hjarlmsson.

Wisniewski would be a mistake the guy was one of the most overrated players to sign on July 1st in a long time. Kinda feel bad that Howson had to go all out when he did because the Wiz isn't exactly someone you can bank on changing things around for you.

Green I don't see at this point. I sooner see them buying on Schultz and/or moving Hamrlik before they move Green.

Again it's quite hard to speculate and I'm kinda shocked that a team would have something close to being done, not knowing what the new CBA is going to be. The other X factor is going to be which owners all of a sudden slash salary.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 943
I would rather have Murray from SJ than Boumeester.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I would rather have Murray from SJ than Boumeester.
Same here, better cap hit and he brings a physical presence to our top 4. If we could add Murray and Fistric that would go a long way to making us a tougher team to play against.

11-09-2012, 11:33 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Same here, better cap hit and he brings a physical presence to our top 4. If we could add Murray and Fistric that would go a long way to making us a tougher team to play against.
How is Fistric? Seemed to be one of those guys everyone thought they could sneak for cheap and had potential, but never really took a next step.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How is Fistric? Seemed to be one of those guys everyone thought they could sneak for cheap and had potential, but never really took a next step.
I'd be fine with him on our 3rd pairing, he's a local boy and a big/hard hitting D.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:39 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'd be fine with him on our 3rd pairing, he's a local boy and a big/hard hitting D.
Is he an upgrade on Peckham? Just seems to be one of those guys we kinda have, be nice if he was a capable top 4.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is he an upgrade on Peckham? Just seems to be one of those guys we kinda have, be nice if he was a capable top 4.
IMO he's a better skater, but it seems like he doesn't scrap nearly as much based on his PIM #'s.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
IMO he's a better skater, but it seems like he doesn't scrap nearly as much based on his PIM #'s.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2973

1 fight last year
2 the year before
5 the year before that.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Musashi

the man can hit though, how available is he with the stars and what would it take to get him?

Closed Thread