HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 01:44 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Oilers' defensive depth is beyond atrocious in the NHL, AHL, ECHL... whatever. We can't afford to deal away a defenseman like Klefbom.
I would get that if we weren't getting a d man back in the deal, but Gunnarsson is already what we hope Klefbom will become and is a RFA after his current deal expires. If we dont get Gunnarsson I take Klefbom and Lander off the table he's the main piece coming back in the proposed deal.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:49 AM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I would get that if we weren't getting a d man back in the deal, but Gunnarsson is already what we hope Klefbom will become and is a RFA after his current deal expires. If we dont get Gunnarsson I take Klefbom and Lander off the table he's the main piece coming back in the proposed deal.
NO.

That statement is not accurate.

That is all.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:10 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
NO.

That statement is not accurate.

That is all.
Agreed. If Klefbom busts, then sure, but his upside is WAY higher

Old
01-05-2013, 02:20 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

You guys are either severely underrating Gunnarsson or overrating Klefbom. If Klefbom can become a 20-30 point pmd who can play big minutes then I think it's a win. Gunnarsson in my mind is a legit top 4 who can play top pairing if need be. I'd like to know what your expectations for Klefbom are because I honestly don't see him being that much better, maybe a bit more physical.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Fourier

Quote:
You guys are either severely underrating Gunnarsson or overrating Klefbom. If Klefbom can become a 20-30 point pmd who can play big minutes then I think it's a win. Gunnarsson in my mind is a legit top 4 who can play top pairing if need be. I'd like to know what your expectations for Klefbom are because I honestly don't see him being that much better, maybe a bit more physical.
Gunnarsson is not really a 20-30 point defensman. He has never had more than 20 points in a season. He is a solid 3/4 guy who plays fairly well in both end. He is also 26 and could very well be a UFA after the 2013-2014 season.

Klefbom may not become a better player than Gunnarsson, but at least until he got hurt he was one of the top defensive prospects not playing in the NHL. His upside is certainly at least Gunnarsson and at this point a fair bit more.

The Oilers would be better off resigning Whitney to a short deal and waiting for Klefbom to develop.

As for Kulimen, I am actually a big fan. I think he would be a very good target, bu I think that his 30 goal season is far more of an outlier than his expected potential. That said playing with a pair like Nuge and Eberle/Yakupov he might do very well.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Paralyzer008

Looked back at some older threads and trade proposal reactions, 3 funny observations:

1) An Oiler fan said no to a O'Sullivan and Omark for Martin St. Louis deal
2) An Oiler fan said no to a Sharp for Cogliano and Reddox deal
3) Some of us were really high on Schremp a couple of years ago

As for current events, has anyone discussed yet that we will be looking for a physical No.6 d-man if the lockout ends?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
You have to give to get, Klefbom hasnt proven anything yet at the NHL level. We'd be getting a solid LW who's scored 30 goals in the NHL, and a solid top 4 PMD that can log be minutes.
Kulemin is a nice middle 6 forward but he's not anywhere close to worth Klefbom (IMO the two most valuable pieces in the deal). I really like the idea of getting Kulemin, and maybe something like Paajarvi and a small + for him has some merit, but he's not going to get you 30 in a normal year.

Paajarvi for Gunnar is a bad deal too. Contrary to popular belief Paajarvi is actually well ahead of the curve for his age. Gunnarsson is a very overrated player at this point it seems, and thats after being underrated for so long. He is a good defensive dman but he's nowhere near a Smid. He's a decent 2nd pairing guy.

You don't trade two blue chippers for a 2nd pairing guy and a middle 6 forward. I cerainly wouldn't throw in Lander and a 3rd to boot. Remember when Atlanta traded Braydon Coburn out of impatience? Yeah don't want to do that...

Old
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Why buy him out and then resign him, doesn't make sense. Rather have VV or Lander playing then Horcoff. Horcoff will want at least a 2yr contract and if you resign him it'll end up costing the team more. Play him or punt his sorry butt, or bury him in the minors next season.
Sorry to interrupt your irrational Horcoff hate but:

Horcoff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VandeVelde, Lander

Say what you will about him but nobody can deny he got some of the toughest minutes in the entire league last year at evens. Lander and VandeVelde can't even handle 4th line minutes. And VandeVelde would probably see his FO% drop if he started taking draws against the leagues best FO men, and not the other 4th line center.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Looked back at some older threads and trade proposal reactions, 3 funny observations:

1) An Oiler fan said no to a O'Sullivan and Omark for Martin St. Louis deal
2) An Oiler fan said no to a Sharp for Cogliano and Reddox deal
3) Some of us were really high on Schremp a couple of years ago

As for current events, has anyone discussed yet that we will be looking for a physical No.6 d-man if the lockout ends?
It will be Teddy Peckman.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:44 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Gunnarsson is not really a 20-30 point defensman. He has never had more than 20 points in a season. He is a solid 3/4 guy who plays fairly well in both end. He is also 26 and could very well be a UFA after the 2013-2014 season.

Klefbom may not become a better player than Gunnarsson, but at least until he got hurt he was one of the top defensive prospects not playing in the NHL. His upside is certainly at least Gunnarsson and at this point a fair bit more.

The Oilers would be better off resigning Whitney to a short deal and waiting for Klefbom to develop.

As for Kulimen, I am actually a big fan. I think he would be a very good target, bu I think that his 30 goal season is far more of an outlier than his expected potential. That said playing with a pair like Nuge and Eberle/Yakupov he might do very well.
According to capgeek Gunnarsson is still a RFA after this season, so unless the new CBA drops the age he won't be a UFA. All I'm saying is you have to give something to get something and with our depth at all positions I think we could afford moving some of it to improve the roster now. Maybe we can get a better deal but I don't know whats out there. All I know is that Gunnarsson is a good all around dman who won't ever be your anchor but is good enough to play on any pairing. Given the state of our defence the last few seasons I wouldnt be surprised if he came in here and was one of our best defenders.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
It will be Teddy Peckman.
Schultz-Schultz
Petry-Smid
Whitney-Peckham
Potter

Is that what we are rolling with? I wouldn't be surprised if we start that way but then pick up a veteran down the stretch if Peckham struggles

Old
01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

COMPLETE Hypothetical!

Say we tank again this year, or get lucky in a year long lockout draft and we can get Jones (who I think should be at the top of the Oilers list).

Edmonton would be heading in to the 2013-14 season with Schultz, Petry, Smid, N. Schultz and Jones on D. Would you at that point be willing to move Klefbom + for a proven stay-at-home/physical 2nd pairing D-man?

Old
01-05-2013, 04:26 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
COMPLETE Hypothetical!

Say we tank again this year, or get lucky in a year long lockout draft and we can get Jones (who I think should be at the top of the Oilers list).

Edmonton would be heading in to the 2013-14 season with Schultz, Petry, Smid, N. Schultz and Jones on D. Would you at that point be willing to move Klefbom + for a proven stay-at-home/physical 2nd pairing D-man?
For me, the answer is no.

At this rate, it is looking like each time could be getting 2 buyouts with the new CBA, and if it is only one lots of teams will need to unload a guy or two.

I would rather take my chances getting a 2nd pairing guy that way, either signing a guy for less that was bought out or trading with a team in cap trouble.

Trading Klefbom seems unnecessary.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

That's how I see it.

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Kulemin-RNH-Yakupov
Smyth-Belanger-Hemsky

That top-9 to me looks playoff caliber. Picking up one more veteran top-4 D, and this team looks pretty good for the playoffs.

Hell if the Sabres still want to dump salary and a guy Leopold is available, I'd be ok with taking a run at him.

01-05-2013, 07:33 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
COMPLETE Hypothetical!

No. Jones, Schultz, Klefbom, Smid, and Petry would give us one of the better defenses in the league.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Fourier

Quote:
According to capgeek Gunnarsson is still a RFA after this season, so unless the new CBA drops the age he won't be a UFA. All I'm saying is you have to give something to get something and with our depth at all positions I think we could afford moving some of it to improve the roster now. Maybe we can get a better deal but I don't know whats out there. All I know is that Gunnarsson is a good all around dman who won't ever be your anchor but is good enough to play on any pairing. Given the state of our defence the last few seasons I wouldnt be surprised if he came in here and was one of our best defenders.
If you look at my post, I said that he could well be a UFA after the 2013-2014 season. I am aware that he is an RFA this year, but until teams have a sense what
revenues may look like going forward I think you will see a lot of one year deals at low dollars for RFA's like Gunnarsson.

I have no problem with Gunnarsson. Just not at the price of Klefbom.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Fourier

Quote:
COMPLETE Hypothetical!

No. I think that Klefbom has tremendous potential.

Plus, the Oilers will need to be somewhat conscious of the cap going forward. If the guy you are talking about is signed longer term he is probably fairly expensive. Having guys like Klefbom on ELC's could be quite helpful as I'd rather spend the money on a guy like Clowe.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Mr Sakich

too lazy to read the entire thread and too old to remember..

was there a consensus on the Bob Staufer "WOW" trade that was going to happen as soon as the lockout ended?

are we expecting a major move in the next couple of days?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:09 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
too lazy to read the entire thread and too old to remember..

was there a consensus on the Bob Staufer "WOW" trade that was going to happen as soon as the lockout ended?

are we expecting a major move in the next couple of days?
He said it was conditioned on starting around december. We could see some "WOW" trades in the off season for teams trying to get to the lower cap.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:57 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Mckenzie just said on TSN that the Oilers have an enormous amount of interest in Luongo.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Mckenzie just said on TSN that the Oilers have an enormous amount of interest in Luongo.
FML

Old
01-06-2013, 10:03 AM
calvinguy

Quote:
Do not want.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:
I wonder if on a powerplay, when Luongo stops the puck behind the net and RNH swings around to pick it up...the crowd will chant...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.....

.....NNUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGEE

it will be irritating.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:09 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

with the double buy-out rule, if we're giving up little in return, we have all of this season and next to see if the experiment works. If not, cut him loose.

That said, despite how he has performed on certain levels, the guy does make us that much more of a threat to make the playoffs. Also, aside from Khabibulin we've had good showings from goaltender trades (Roloson, Joseph, Ranford, Salo (pre-olympics))

Old
01-06-2013, 10:10 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Yea but keep in mind Luongo has a NTC - I don't see him approving a trade to the frozen tundra when his wife is a Florida woman.

Closed Thread