HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 06:38 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
I really don't think Luongo is the answer, and his contract could really handcuff this team going forward.

edit: Probably the most obvious post ever...

Old
01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
He said "holidays" I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Yeah he did. Last week he changed it to sometime in the next calendar year... complete shot in the dark. How many teams don't make a significant change in a calendar year?
Thanks. Yeah, not a lot to go on.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Canucks best option is to wait until the summer and use one of their buyouts on him.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:46 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Canucks best option is to wait until the summer and use one of their buyouts on him.
Gillis is apparently nuts with what he is asking for. Rumour has it he wants Florida to offer up Bjugstad+ and at the draft wanted either Gardiner +the 5th or our 1st overall. Unless he gets a good dose of reality, buying RL out may be his only option.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Gillis is apparently nuts with what he is asking for. Rumour has it he wants Florida to offer up Bjugstad+ and at the draft wanted either Gardiner +the 5th or our 1st overall. Unless he gets a good dose of reality, buying RL out may be his only option.
They just mentioned that that rumour to Toronto was based around Bozak a pick +

But that rumour might have been weeks after the draft.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I really don't think Luongo is the answer, and his contract could really handcuff this team going forward.

edit: Probably the most obvious post ever...
But now team can retain some of the cap hit . Up to 5,000,000 worth . Max of 3,000,000 on one player . Is Lou a good deal to a team if the Canucks retains 2 to 3 million of his cap hit ? I don't thing i would want him even if they paid 2,000,000 of his salary . I say we run with DD and see where he takes us . DD stole the starting job from Bernier for Canada .

Old
01-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Asher

The fact is, for this season (at least) the Oilers have hitched their proverbial wagon to Dubnyk. Luongo is not looking to play in a tandem role or anything like that. I have my doubts about whether he's looking to be a mentor or transition goalie either. He's looking to play for a team where he can be the undisputed #1 and play almost every night. He also wants to go to a contender; Florida seems to be the only exception to that last demand. I don't see how he would waive to come to EDM, and I'm not sure the Oilers would be doing the right thing for Dubnyk, assuming that they still think he has the potential to be a true #1.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Maybe a trade for Bernier?
The guy that was totally outplayed by our very own Dubnyk at the Spengler? I'm sure he's an OK goalie, but nothing I have ever seen from him leads me to believe he will ever be that much better than Dubnyk, if at all.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
You might have a hard time convincing Vancouver ownership that their best option would be to pay a guy $35.3M not to play for you.

I'd rather keep Luongo and trade Schneider than buyout Lou.

With that said, Luongo is far from tradeable. They'll move him if they have to. Even if it's for peanuts.

01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:

It has been rumored on TSN that Luongo to TO is pretty much a done deal.

Bozak, Kadri + 3rd is my guess

Edit: That's if the deal is done soon, the nearer to next season we get, Luongo's value goes down.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

This is far more reasonable. Maybe Gillis's asking price has come down.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
It has been rumored on TSN that Luongo to TO is pretty much a done deal.

Bozak, Kadri + 3rd is my guess

Edit: That's if the deal is done soon, the nearer to next season we get, Luongo's value goes down.
that seems like quite a lot for TO to pay for luongo, with one of the worst contracts in the entire league... i certainly wouldn't be happy with that deal if i was a TO fan

Old
01-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Mr Sakich

If one of our big concerns is a 3rd pairing dman who can play more minutes when the inevitable injuries hit, how about wade redden?

The only reason he is in the minors is that he makes 6.5 mill. this is a shortened season so his actual cost is just over half of that. If he doesn't pan out, we can buy him out for 50% next summer. There is no cap penalty for the buyout so the only thing being risked is Katz's money.

We have the space this year and can use the buyout to create space or get rid of him next year. Not much risk for a guy who was a norris candidate not that long ago. The cost would be nothing as the Rangers probably put him on waivers this week.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
that seems like quite a lot for TO to pay for luongo, with one of the worst contracts in the entire league... i certainly wouldn't be happy with that deal if i was a TO fan
The last time TO made the playoffs Pat Quinn was the coach and Ed Belfour was the netminder...Also Burke has to do something to save his GM job. I believe Dubnyk will do an adequate job as a starting goalie. We just need some tough and mean defensemen.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Well it's less than the ransom that Gillis was rumored to be asking for at the draft.
Additionally this is Brian Burke we are talking about. If TO does not make the playoffs then my guess is that Burke is done. This deal could be more about what is best for BB than what is best for TO.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
poetryingasoline

How does a NMC work with a payout? A player cannot use it to void the payout can he?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:32 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinteoilers View Post
The last time TO made the playoffs Pat Quinn was the coach and Ed Belfour was the netminder...Also Burke has to do something to save his GM job. I believe Dubnyk will do an adequate job as a starting goalie. We just need some tough and mean defensemen.
I still don't think that "WOW" trade that was being talked about was Luongo. I really think it was more likely to be Subban. Probably with Yak heading the other way

Old
01-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I still don't think that "WOW" trade that was being talked about was Luongo. I really think it was more likely to be Subban. Probably with Yak heading the other way
Okay. Well he said it was a goalie, so...

EDIT: Subban doesn't even fit the description. The 'mystery' player has a No-trade clause. Subban doesn't even have a contract.

Last edited by Bergeron47: 01-06-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
Could be, I like Subban. Then somehow get Getzlaf.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Stauffer said that none of the kids would be involved in the "wow" trade. Did he not say "think further down the food chain"? Or something like that?

Old
01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Okay. Well he said it was a goalie, so...
Price+Pacioretty for Yakupov and PRV... Yea not happening but its great that we have rumors back. Have to think it was Luongo but who knows. Is anyone else available?

Old
Lay Z Boy GM

Yakupov > Subban

But I do like Subban quite a bit, I don't get why so many fans seem to dislike the kid. We would need to get more in return than Subban though, but I'm not sure what else I'd want from Montreal. The only other player from that team that really sticks out to me is Price, and there's no way they move him for anything.

Old
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
No, he revealed to a caller about a month and a half ago it was a goaltender. Nobody else seemed to notice so I posted it either in this thread of the WOW thread. Nobody seemed to notice that either as I got maybe 2 responses.
I think there's a shot they go for Ryan Miller. I'm not sure at what price but Buffalo has a good backup and limited cap space.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Stauffer said that none of the kids would be involved in the "wow" trade. Did he not say "think further down the food chain"? Or something like that?
I'm pretty sure he even said players like Paajarvi would be safe.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I think there's a shot they go for Ryan Miller. I'm not sure at what price but Buffalo has a good backup and limited cap space.
Yea Buffalo is way over the cap right now if the cap hits arent pro rated.

Closed Thread