HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 08:53 PM
jbean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Actually there are trades that take months if not years to actually come to fruition from the initial time they were discussed.
And sometimes they also develop over a single phone call. But to say that a trade will happen half a year to a year in advance seems highly unlikely.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Price+Pacioretty for Yakupov and PRV... Yea not happening but its great that we have rumors back. Have to think it was Luongo but who knows. Is anyone else available?
No for 2 reasons:

1. He said 1st (Yakupov) and 2nd (PRV) tier players wouldn't be dealt.
2. He laughed anytime someone called in with the idea of getting Price. Stauff is a huge fan of Price, but is realistic about him being untouchable in the Montreal organization.

Those who said Miller have ground. Except I think they have other, more sensible ways of shedding salary. (AKA Leino & Regehr)

EDIT: I missed your whole 'yeah not happening' part of the post

Old
01-06-2013, 09:10 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
No for 2 reasons:

1. He said 1st (Yakupov) and 2nd (PRV) tier players wouldn't be dealt.
2. He laughed anytime someone called in with the idea of getting Price. Stauff is a huge fan of Price, but is realistic about him being untouchable in the Montreal organization.

Those who said Miller have ground. Except I think they have other, more sensible ways of shedding salary. (AKA Leino & Regehr)

EDIT: I missed your whole 'yeah not happening' part of the post

The buyouts aren't good until next summer, so they'll be stuck with Leino. Regehr they could likely unload pretty easily i'd assume.

Miller also has a limited no trade (can veto to 8 teams). Do you think he'd accept a trade here if he had to leave buffalo?

Old
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Eskimo44

I find the Redden and Regher/Leopold ideas intriguing. I would be expecting a nice bonus to take Reddens deal for the season. Katz isn't going to spend that kind of money buying a guy out for nothing significant.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:12 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
I just have a hunch it will gag+ for Luongo. Which I would not mind at all.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:14 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
They have no use for Gagner really, I guess Kesler is hurt but once he comes back then what?

Old
01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

Anyone suggesting any deal where Yak goes anywhere right now is nuts. When was the last time ANY team traded a #1 pick away before he even gets a shot at playing on the team. Lindros of course but that obviously was a very special situation.

Personally I don't think there will be many deals league-wide anytime soon as the cap is still at 70 million and teams have a lot of flexibility now that they are armed with those buyout options for the future. This off season could be interesting but it could turn into another dud of a UFA season as well.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
They have no use for Gagner really, I guess Kesler is hurt but once he comes back then what?
Then Gagner replaces Raymond on the RW--where he probably belongs to begin with.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
I'm pretty sure he even said players like Paajarvi would be safe.
Watch it's Steve Mason for Linus Omark...definitely a WOW trade...as in WOW, TAMBELLINI YOU'RE A ****ING IDIOT TO MAKE THAT TRADE

Old
01-06-2013, 10:39 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

Hell I forgot all about Omark again. He's been pretty much out of sight, out of mind... but ya I could see a minor deal involving him before the season starts or soon after... or not. A Stouffer level prediction.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
NotoriousJatt

Send a message via MSN to NotoriousJatt
Sorry to burst your guys bubble but the trade isn't happening anymore apparently. I tweeted Bob asking him if the deal was a go or dead and he direct messaged me this..

"Nope needed to have CBA by Dec. 1st and immediate buy-out ...didn't happen..."

Old
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
jmoss45

That's heart breaking that the trade is off. Could also be a way of Bob weaselling out of what he said earlier though. I guess we'll never know.

I'd do the Omark for Mason deal. He would be an upgrade on Khabi as far as backup goes.

Maybe Omark+ Khabi for Mason?

Old
01-06-2013, 10:48 PM
NotoriousJatt

Send a message via MSN to NotoriousJatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
That's heart breaking that the trade is off. Could also be a way of Bob weaselling out of what he said earlier though. I guess we'll never know.

I'd do the Omark for Mason deal. He would be an upgrade on Khabi as far as backup goes.

Maybe Omark+ Khabi for Mason?
Ya I'm bummed about it being dead. I'd post a picture of the direct message screen shot but I'm not too sure how to post pictures on threads lol

Old
01-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Stauffer still thinks that we're not set in the goaltending position.
Well IIRC Khabby was still hurt, so Dubnyk alone isn't enough.

01-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Bob Stauffer

"Wow" an update

FYI.

The potential for a "Wow" move was discussed in late October on '"Oilers Now".
At that time I mentioned that there were parameters that needed to be in place in order for a significant deal to occur, including:

#1. The NHL had to be playing by December 1st
#2. That an amnesty clause (compliance buy-out) would have take effect immediately upon the completion of a new CBA.

Obviously things did not get settled for a December 1st start-up. And according to numerous reports the compliance buy-out mechanism may not be in play until June of 2013.

A significant deal in my opinion would involve either a #1 goaltender, a big 2nd line center, or a top 4, preferably top 2 left-shot D.

Oilers President Kevin Lowe appeared on "Oilers Now" I think on November 1st and agreed that the team had accumulated enough prospects and picks that the organization would have options to address areas of need.

Here's the deal, while the Oilers might have the will, you also need a partner.

A 48-game schedule means all 30 teams have a legitmate hope to make the Play-off's with a hot start. I think most of you would agree with me that this likely means less movement of players.

Also if teams can't immediately buy players out, it keeps more organizations in short term gridlock during this season until say June, when the compliance buy-out likely takes place.

By the end of this season we should have a pretty good read on whether: Devan Dubnyk is a legit #1 goalie, if Sam Gagner can be a CONSISTENT (albeit, under-sized) 2nd line center, and we will know if Ryan Whitney can get back to being
a 23 minute top 4 D.

We will see what happens.

Take Care,

Bob Stauffer
Oilers Radio Network

Old
01-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Bryanbryoil

Thanks for chiming in Bob. I really do hope that some moves are made especially deals adding to the core of the club. The 2C type that you mention IMO is a big time need and currently the teams biggest need.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
So I suppose in a way it can be Bouwmeester AND Luongo. No clue on that #2 center though.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:28 PM
T-Funk

So which "wow" players had a change in circumstance between Dec 1 and now?

Seems like a pretty arbitrary date.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:36 PM
SDig14

I want no part of mason on this team or in the dressing room.

He's got questionable work ethic and character, do not want anywhere near our other young players.

The kid had a great rookie year, many reports his work ethic dropped off and had questionable character issues after that moment.

Even if all of that speculation were false, the guy has still been absolutely brutal ever since his rookie year and shown he has the mental toughness to get his game back...ever.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:38 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Thanks for the info Bob. Much appreciated

Old
01-06-2013, 11:42 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Thanks for the clarification on that Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
I would hate that trade. That puts Horcoff back in the top 6. Which would force Hemsky and Yakupov to try and pass through, or even somehow make use of, the black hole of offense that is Shawn Horcoff.

I think with a shortened season, Vancouver will keep RL. Schneider didn't look great at the Spengler and injuries are always a concern. I believe Lack is hurt still too, so if the Canucks move Luongo, Schneider is really all they have. That's a lot of pressure on a somewhat unproven kid. Also, this summer's buyout allowances may create new suitors for his services.

At this point we may as well go with what we have too. We're in a fairly unique position in that a lot of our top players have already been playing together and building chemistry. We could get off to a quick start if some other teams take a while for their guys to find their groove.

I don't really see a point in making big moves right now. Maybe if we're in the mix at the deadline we try to add a guy or two. But apart from that, we may as well see what the market is like after the buyouts. And we'll also have a better idea about Dubnyk's, Gagner's and Whitney's future with the team.

Last edited by s7ark: 01-06-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
So which "wow" players had a change in circumstance between Dec 1 and now?

Seems like a pretty arbitrary date.
This is the part that makes little to no sense at all.

A team that would have been willing to deal a player, with the assumption they weren't a playoff team, is suddenly a playoff team and unwilling to deal because the season is 48 games instead of 70 games?

The other part that makes no sense is the buyout. Why are we trading prospects and picks for a player presumably on a non playoff team while needing a buyout if he potentially plays terribly? Is the player that good that a buyout seems necessary?

Or is Bob stipulating that the cap hit of the player we are bringing in is so bad that we will need to buyout a player like Horcoff just to afford this type of player?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Paralyzer008

Thanks Bob, I love it when you chime in on here to clarify things.

Sounds like if we wanted Luongo (or any other big salary guy) we would have to buyout Khabby/Horcoff beforehand in order to make the deal.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:03 AM
topchowda

Id do Omark for Mason
Id also do PRV + 3rd for Luongo. Id even be willing to do Hemsky for Luongo if both sides added some pieces to make it work (im not sure what theyd be)

Old
01-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Why would you want Steve Mason? What possibly value could he bring to this team

Closed Thread