HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 03:18 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
I think it depends on what happens with the CBA

Old
10-20-2012, 04:08 PM
topchowda

5 years left at 5.3. I think he would be a solid goalie for 2-3 more years.

The Oilers are going to start making noise in 13/14 season (too young to contend this season) Lu would make us good next season but not good enough for playoffs.

So if we did trade for Lu, we would only get 1-2 seasons of good play from him when were able to contend. The only 2-3 seasons he would probaly be bumped out by Dubnyk or 1 one Roy/Bunz.

Taking that into consideration I would probaly offer Hemsky (RW to play with Sedins) Jones (energy winger who would be key in playoffs) and a decent prospect (Martindale, Pitlick). Or Hemsky and Horcoff (they need a 3 line center) plus a 2nd

Might be a low ball offer but the 5 year contract will be dead weight in years 4 and 5, also Dubnyk could prove himself next season.

Old
10-20-2012, 04:14 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
A Canuck's fan take:

Quote:
Oilers fans were willing to do something around Hemsky(top-6 winger, slightly injury prone) and either a 1st or MPS.
A bit of a surprise, I think Oilers would laugh at the notion of including a 1st

Old
10-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
A Canuck's fan take:

A bit of a surprise, I think Oilers would laugh at the notion of including a 1st
There will not be a deal for a 1st for Luongo from anyone unless someone gets fleeced. That contract kills his value ... a 2nd at best, and a 2nd rate prospect or player most likely.

Old
10-20-2012, 04:26 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
There will not be a deal for a 1st for Luongo from anyone unless someone gets fleeced. That contract kills his value ... a 2nd at best, and a 2nd rate prospect or player most likely.
I agree. His contract and his age does not warrant a top prospect or a top pick. Let alone a combination of both

Old
10-20-2012, 05:17 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I like RL as a regular season goalie, but I want no part of that contract when we are trying to re-sign our kids. Add in what Canuck fans want for him, and absolutely no chance.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:41 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
A Canuck's fan take:

I don't think any Oiler fan did or would agree to give up a 1st for Luongo. Just reading that thread would confirm that.

Luongo at 33 is not a realistic option for the Oilers.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I don't think any Oiler fan did or would agree to give up a 1st for Luongo. Just reading that thread would confirm that.

Luongo at 33 is not a realistic option for the Oilers.
Yeah, MPS makes more sense than a 1st, but Luongo will likely play well for around 5-6 years. That's quite a lot of time for your players to develop and mature. A package centred around Hemsky makes a lot of sense, imo, because he has a similar cap hit, and would be a good fit for our 2nd line. The Oilers would also be making room for your future top-6 wingers(Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and MPS/Hartikainen likely).

A dependable goaltender is a must for a successful run and gun system, which I believe the Oilers will try to implement.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Yeah, MPS makes more sense than a 1st, but Luongo will likely play well for around 5-6 years. That's quite a lot of time for your players to develop and mature. A package centred around Hemsky makes a lot of sense, imo, because he has a similar cap hit, and would be a good fit for our 2nd line. The Oilers would also be making room for your future top-6 wingers(Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and MPS/Hartikainen likely).

A dependable goaltender is a must for a successful run and gun system, which I believe the Oilers will try to implement.
The sell job isn't going to work. Even if Luongo plays well for 5-6 years, that means another 4-5 years of a 5.3M albatross around our necks when our kids 2nd contracts are ending.

And right now, I'd prefer to have Hemsky on our 2nd line feeding passes to Yakupov. It takes some of the pressure off the kid to have to do it alone.

Besides, a lot of us like how Dubnyk finished last season. And both Roy and Bunz look like they might have a future as well. Also, there are always goalies on the market.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:14 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
The sell job isn't going to work. Even if Luongo plays well for 5-6 years, that means another 4-5 years of a 5.3M albatross around our necks when our kids 2nd contracts are ending.

And right now, I'd prefer to have Hemsky on our 2nd line feeding passes to Yakupov. It takes some of the pressure off the kid to have to do it alone.

Besides, a lot of us like how Dubnyk finished last season. And both Roy and Bunz look like they might have a future as well. Also, there are always goalies on the market.
Exactly...and why would the Oilers give a 3.5m per year contact to Dubnyk only to trade for Luongo. Simply does not make sense.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Virtually everyone knows Luongo will retire several years before the end of his contract. And guess which lucky team gets his cap hit then?

And if he doesn't want to retire you can still trade him to a cap floor team, who'd love his cap hit with a minimal salary.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:22 PM
rockinghockey

Luongo is a god goalie but I would not want that contract on this team especially with the cap going down.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:23 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Virtually everyone knows Luongo will retire several years before the end of his contract. And guess which lucky team gets his cap hit then?

And if he doesn't want to retire you can still trade him to a cap floor team, who'd love his cap hit with a minimal salary.
No one knows exactly what the next CBA is going to look like but it seems pretty clear that the Board of Governors is looking to punish the GMs who circumvented the last one.

The albatross of Luongo's contract is going to hang around somebody's neck for its entire term. The way things are blowing now: that somebody looks like it is going to be the 'Nucks but until the next CBA is finalized its going to be a big issue for anyone looking to trade for Bobby Lu.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:42 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Then you should have no problem finding a suitor. But it won't be us. Our management likes Dubnyk, and the asking price, at least from Canuck fans is too high. If Dubnyk can continue to play like he did from January on, the upgrade from DD to RL isn't worth the loss of a finally healthy Hemsky.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:42 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:

Look, we understand why you guys want to get the Oilers involved in discussions - it drives the price up for other teams. However I do not see any scenario in which the Oilers trade for Luongo for the reasons we have stated several times in the multitude of Luongo threads and that is no slight on the abilities of Roberto Luongo.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

The Oilers had allegedly put out a bid for Luongo that had beaten the Leafs offer, though. If the rumour is true, then I guess your management does feel that Luongo would be a good addition.

W/e though, not going to push the subject.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
The Oilers had allegedly put out a bid for Luongo that had beaten the Leafs offer, though. If the rumour is true, then I guess your management does feel that Luongo would be a good addition.

I don't think anyone doubts he'd be a good addition. It's the price being demanded we want no part of

Old
10-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Soundwave

I'd be open to a Luongo for MPS swap depending on how the CBA shakes out (ie: what the later years of his deal mean most notably). Three-way deal most likely Oilers ship Dubnyk somewhere else for a 2nd, that 2nd goes to Vancouver. So it'd be MPS + 2nd rounder.

I'm not sure his wife can handle a "real" Canadian winter though and I don't want to go through the same thing we did with Pronger, so we'd have to have assurances that is not the case.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:01 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:

As has been discussed previously that report came from Jason Botchford and nowhere else. The Oilers via Bob Stauffer denied it or any knowledge of it..

Conclusion

Either Botchford is spewing bs or Gillis is playing Burke at his own media games.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:12 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Deleted

Old
10-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Paralyzer008

Luongo
Dubnyk

would be a great tandem. Yes, the cap hit isn't great, but that pairing would have lots of potential. Look at St. Louis, they have Halak/Elliott and they can run a two goalie system that works.

He's an improvement on anyone we have (sorry Devan) but I guess it depends on price. The ideal would be Horcoff+, but obviously it sounds more expensive than that. My guess would be quality player or prospect + Khabby. Any more expensive (like the rumors that VAN was asking for Gardiner from Toronto..) and no deal.

There are definitely other teams that need him more than us, but I wouldn't mind the deal. If he retires early, it might count on VAN's cap if the CBA implements that new rule.

I definitely remember hearing that our old ownership wanted Luongo back when Florida traded him. We didn't really have the assets.

Knowing how Katz can be a slimeball, is it possible someone told Botchford that info because they wanted to get to Dubnyk a bit? After all, Dubnyk was one of the guys who went to the labour board. I'd heavily doubt it.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:42 PM
488fitter

Honestly, depending on what it took to acquire him, I wouldn't be totally against it. As a guy that has many Canuck friends... I wouldn't hesitate to troll them hard if we were to beat them in the playoffs, or even win a cup with Luongo as our goalie. It would be hilarious from my viewpoint. And let's be honest...he's a pretty good goalie. Better then what we've seen for many years.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I don't think its that Canucks are asking that much for him, but probably more likely is that there isn't much of a market for him. We'll probably be surprised by the actual trade.

Nucks are probably trying to get as much value out of as possible because the returns are low ... and they are waiting because they can.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:06 AM
oiler-dude

While I don't love Luongo, I could live with a deal granted we don't give up too much. Depends a lot on what the NHL decides in the new CBA in regards to these Long-Term Back Drop contracts with cap hit, etc. if he retires. If it stays with Vancouver, all the more reason to get him and then force him into retirement early so they're saddled with the cap hit.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Luongo is a god goalie but I would not want that contract on this team especially with the cap going down.

I'm sure you meant to say GOOD.

Closed Thread