HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

And then all the sudden, I can't stick handle.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

vCash: 500
And then all the sudden, I can't stick handle.

Hey guys, I'm hoping I could get some help from someone who knows much more than I do. I've been playing adult hockey for 6+ years now and I'm embarrassed to say I've never really learned what stick is really best for me. That said, I've managed to find some that I work well with.

Anyway, on to my problem...

I was using the Eq50, 75 flex, P3 Hall/Sakic (5.5 lie) in the first half of this year and I was tearing it up. My shot was great (for me), and my stick handling was great (for me). Then it broke. I had no time to order the same stick during last seasons playoffs so I decided to take some advice from fellow hockey buddies to try the Bauer line as they swear their durability and stick tech far exceeds Easton. So I thought, what the hell, how much different could it be? So I put a Bauer p92 Backstrom (5-6 lie - its not specified exactly what it is) blade in my backup Easton RS (two piece) and bought a Nexus 600 (one piece) with the same blade. I cut them both the the exact size my Eq50 was (about 1" from stock, I'm 5'8").

And then...

All hell broke lose My stick handling was piss poor. I mean, bad. Last night was the absolute worse. I decided to try my intermediate Bauer Supreme stick, which is much shorter and has flex for days, thinking maybe the shorter stick would help me as I realized a few years ago my stick was too long for me. I was embarrassed. I couldn't do simple things like light taps and drags or even passes. A few times I had the puck at my stick and I just couldn't do anything with it! I switched back to my Nexus 600 for my last shift and finally got some puck action, but its still not the same.

Any thoughts? Its this a mental thing? I'm absolutely frustrated beyond belief. I practice puck handling in my back yard, though not enough, and on land I have decent control.

Thanks in advance

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Hey guys, I'm hoping I could get some help from someone who knows much more than I do. I've been playing adult hockey for 6+ years now and I'm embarrassed to say I've never really learned what stick is really best for me. That said, I've managed to find some that I work well with.

Anyway, on to my problem...

I was using the Eq50, 75 flex, P3 Hall/Sakic (5.5 lie) in the first half of this year and I was tearing it up. My shot was great (for me), and my stick handling was great (for me). Then it broke. I had no time to order the same stick during last seasons playoffs so I decided to take some advice from fellow hockey buddies to try the Bauer line as they swear their durability and stick tech far exceeds Easton. So I thought, what the hell, how much different could it be? So I put a Bauer p92 Backstrom (5-6 lie - its not specified exactly what it is) blade in my backup Easton RS (two piece) and bought a Nexus 600 (one piece) with the same blade. I cut them both the the exact size my Eq50 was (about 1" from stock, I'm 5'8").

And then...

All hell broke lose My stick handling was piss poor. I mean, bad. Last night was the absolute worse. I decided to try my intermediate Bauer Supreme stick, which is much shorter and has flex for days, thinking maybe the shorter stick would help me as I realized a few years ago my stick was too long for me. I was embarrassed. I couldn't do simple things like light taps and drags or even passes. A few times I had the puck at my stick and I just couldn't do anything with it! I switched back to my Nexus 600 for my last shift and finally got some puck action, but its still not the same.

Any thoughts? Its this a mental thing? I'm absolutely frustrated beyond belief. I practice puck handling in my back yard, though not enough, and on land I have decent control.

Thanks in advance
Is there much of a difference in flex?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Is there much of a difference in flex?
Oh yes, both the RS and the 600 are 85 flex (before cutting). This isn't exactly an unfamiliar flex to me, but I absolutely prefer 75.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I am guessing that the two piece is not as well balanced, making your stick handling feel a bit sluggish and throwing off your timing. The Bauer blade might also not provide the same feel as the EQ50. The Nexus might be a bit better balanced or have a bit better feel.

I do know that changing the balance or weight of a stick throws off my timing and feel quite a bit. A lighter stick does let me move the blade a hair quicker and pull off moves in traffic with more success. And I also know a heavy two piece combo was completely unusable.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:24 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
I honestly don't notice too much difference in the weight once I am moving and playing other than some wrist fatigue from drills or prolonged shooting sessions.

The big piece that I notice is the puck feel, especially when you're getting the puck out near the end of your blade, a good stick when I throw a saucer; I swear I can feel the little inglas logo as it rolls along the blade.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:09 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
I'm thinking pick the better feeling stick and just give it time. It's like new skates, might take a few sessions to capture the feeling. Get to a s&p if you can.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Thanks guys for the responses. The two-piece def has some gnarly weight issues. I used to use this same very two piece before the one piece and never thought anything of it, until I used the EQ50.

Maybe it will just take some time I suppose. I'm going to check my lie's when I get home and make sure I'm not putting a hole in my blade by having too much toe or heel.

And yes, def have to go to a skate n' shoot, or as they call them in SJ "Gretzky Hour", which oddly enough is 1 1/2 hours

Old
09-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I think it's a mental thing as well.

Almost feels like a bad slump in golf when you're shanking and hooking all your shots. It'll go away

The Backstrom curve is very similar to the Hall curve, it's not like going from Zetterberg/Stamkos to a Crazy Ovi curve.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:11 AM
IDuck

i will say that i have used the same curve for 4 years and i recently tried a different curve (which was very similar to my usual curve, only a bit smaller blade but similar curve) and i felt lost using it, so much so that i had to cut it and but my usual curve on it....now was it mental? most likely but it didnt matter to me

IDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Datsyuk1
Rookie User

It's all in your head. The more you think about it, the worse you are.
My buddy was having the problem in our 2010/2011 season (he plays Jr. A), but he trained hard with wobble boards and with golf balls etc. and simply trusted in his training.
Building skill circuits is about the quality of practice (focus, fail, then correct) - he mastered it.

Datsyuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:39 PM
ponder

As others have mentioned, the Bauer P92 and Easton Hall/Sakic are essentially identical curves, so it's definitely not that. It's probably 90% mental, and 10% lack of comfort with a new stick. Even if the curve is the same, different weight, balance, puck feel, shaft dimensions, and even flex can all affect stick handling a bit. Nothing that you shouldn't be able to adjust to quickly, but these things can throw you off a touch right after you make the switch. The EQ50 you had was a top of the line stick, while the Nexus 600 is a mid range stick, so it's likely heavier and not as well balanced. As for your 2-piece, I have had some 2-piece setups that are well balanced, but often they're pretty blade heavy. Personally I'd just stick with the Nexus 600, I bet you get used to it just fine soon enough.

p.s. in case you're wondering, the P92 on your replacement blade and the P92 on your Nexus 600 are both lie 6 versions, that's the standard. The P92 lie 5 is only available on top of the line one piece sticks (Apx, Nexus 100, TotalOne). Easton lists the Hall/Sakic as a lie 5.5, but different companies simply measure lie differently, the lie is the same on the Hall and the standard (lie 6) P92

p.p.s. if you're 5'8", and only cutting about 1" off a senior stick, that's definitely a much longer stick than most players your height would use. For example, I'd say I use a fairly standard stick length relative to my height, I'm 6' and I cut around 2.5 - 3" off a senior Bauer stick. Stick length is without a doubt personal preference, some guys like long sticks and some guys like short ones, just pointing out that most 5'8" players would use a stick that's a good 4-5" shorter than yours. Unfortunately, an 85 flex stick cut down that much would probably be too stiff for you when it comes to shooting

Last edited by ponder: 09-26-2012 at 09:48 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Badger25

My suggestion; Get a "lower quality" (by that I mean cheaper) Easton stick with the Hall curve. Manufactures tend to put their latest technology in their sticks, and although it is extremely light, it's rarely the most durable. The Easton ST (black, grey and orange) was designed to handle more abuse with reinforced rigid corners down the shaft. I highly recommend it.

SIDE NOTE: I find more weighted sticks a bit easier to stick handle with, you don't have to fork over a ton of cash for a quality stick if you're playing recreationally.

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:37 PM
IslesZoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
p.p.s. if you're 5'8", and only cutting about 1" off a senior stick, that's definitely a much longer stick than most players your height would use. For example, I'd say I use a fairly standard stick length relative to my height, I'm 6' and I cut around 2.5 - 3" off a senior Bauer stick. Stick length is without a doubt personal preference, some guys like long sticks and some guys like short ones, just pointing out that most 5'8" players would use a stick that's a good 4-5" shorter than yours. Unfortunately, an 85 flex stick cut down that much would probably be too stiff for you when it comes to shooting
I'm about 5'8" and this is exactly why I went from a senior stick to an intermediate. After making the switch, the results were immediate.

IslesZoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm 5'8 and I still chop off at least 4" from an intermediate stick. Even 75 flex sticks will be well over 100 flex when I'm done cutting them down.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:46 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm 5'8 and I still chop off at least 4" from an intermediate stick. Even 75 flex sticks will be well over 100 flex when I'm done cutting them down.
That's what I do.

I got a 65 flex easton. i'm 5'8 and i cut it down so its below my chin when i'm on saktes. pretty much upper chest.

i love my sticks short for better control

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
I wish I was 6'0 or 6'1. I can only buy Int 70s because 65 is too whippy for my liking and 75 cut down to where I want it is too stiff.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Thank you all for the responses! I'm getting hope back. I've let my other captains take control of the bench stuff during games so I can really focus on my stick issues right now, which is helping with the mental aspect. That said, I'm still getting a point per game, which is nice, but I'm still butter fingers with the puck.

I also have an Intermediate Bauer Vapor X2.0 (67 flex?) thats cut down just below my chin that I've been fooling with. The height seems right, but boy is that stick wobbly. I don't have a fancy wrist shot so I rely heavily on my snappy, and the power it produces is just no where near what I get with a stiffer stick.

But anyway...

YOU 5'8" FOLK! Exactly where does your stick go to you on skates? Adams apple? right at the chin? Collar bone?

Old
10-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just got a new stick and cut off about 5". It's at my nose in sandals, and it will probably be 1-2" shorter after I'm done trying it and cutting down a bit more.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:31 AM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Practice with a SMARTBALL everyday or before games.

My obsession with this ball when i was a kid really sickened up my game in a few short months. It's too bad I've always found a way to lose them, I swear I've gone through 10 of them!

AmazedRink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
I just got a new stick and cut off about 5". It's at my nose in sandals, and it will probably be 1-2" shorter after I'm done trying it and cutting down a bit more.
Cool. I cut my Nexus to about my adams apple in skates and played a game last night and it felt MUCH better. My control seemed to be coming back. That said, the stick is stiff as a board (its probably over 100 flex now) so I need to find a senior 75/77 again. I do need to be a bit more conscious about staying lower for shooting, but thats always a good thing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
Practice with a SMARTBALL everyday or before games.

My obsession with this ball when i was a kid really sickened up my game in a few short months. It's too bad I've always found a way to lose them, I swear I've gone through 10 of them!
I have one of these actually (had 2, lost the black one ). I do like them, but its hardly the same feel as a puck. They're not very good for quick, soft hands. I'm thinking about getting a wooden ball as well.

When you guys practice off ice, how do you compensate for the height difference? Or do you actually put your skates with guards on?

Old
10-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll just choke up slightly, maybe 1". On ice you're a couple inches taller but knees are bent, so it's almost a wash.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
I'll just choke up slightly, maybe 1". On ice you're a couple inches taller but knees are bent, so it's almost a wash.
good point.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:43 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Cool. I cut my Nexus to about my adams apple in skates and played a game last night and it felt MUCH better. My control seemed to be coming back. That said, the stick is stiff as a board (its probably over 100 flex now) so I need to find a senior 75/77 again. I do need to be a bit more conscious about staying lower for shooting, but thats always a good thing anyway.

I have one of these actually (had 2, lost the black one ). I do like them, but its hardly the same feel as a puck. They're not very good for quick, soft hands. I'm thinking about getting a wooden ball as well.

When you guys practice off ice, how do you compensate for the height difference? Or do you actually put your skates with guards on?
I think they're amazing for soft quick hands, its all in the drills you do and how much you do them.

AmazedRink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:14 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:

YOU 5'8" FOLK! Exactly where does your stick go to you on skates? Adams apple? right at the chin? Collar bone?
I cut most of my sticks so that it's at my chin in skates. I have one stick that I cut so that it's a little below my chin. I have not bought a stick that's over 75-77 flex in a couple of years.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote