HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 04:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I have a huge beef with this train of thought.

That is why it is uausally only very successfull business men who own hockey teams. If the NHL folds the owners will still have other profitable businesses. The players on the other hand will be pumping gas and working at McD's for the most part if there was no pro hockey.

You say most owners are happy breaking even, why is it so unreasonable for players to be happy with an average salary of what ever 50% of revenue is for playing a game for half the year?
I doubt the players wouldn't be happy. Just because they might come out tomorrow and ask for 53% doesn't mean that they are going to hate it if they end up with 50%. They are humans and will take as much as they can get.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
doulos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
There isnt a large discrepancy over defining HRR. The league has agreed to use the previous definition, so you are spending a lot of time arguing a moot point.
"We agree to retain the CBA’s current HRR definitions. Further, we propose to formalize the various agreements the NHLPA and the NHL have reached, and lived under, during the course of the expired CBA, and to clarify mutually identified ambiguities in the CBA. "

That's from the document and it essentially leaves wide open some areas of ambiguity. Until those areas are cemented this isn't a moot point at all. I can 100% see why the Union would be wary of this.

Combine this with the sneaky "Make Whole" clause and while it's absolutely a great first step by the league, I can't see any way that the Union would accept this deal as is.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:17 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I doubt the players wouldn't be happy. Just because they might come out tomorrow and ask for 53% doesn't mean that they are going to hate it if they end up with 50%. They are humans and will take as much as they can get.
The PA has repeatedly refused any kind of salary reduction.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Soundwave

I don't know if they'll make that Nov. 2 date, but I think they'll probably be playing regular season games a month from now.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
The PA has repeatedly refused any kind of salary reduction.
Repeatedly?

Wasn't it only once and it wasn't a small chunk at that.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
"We agree to retain the CBAs current HRR definitions. Further, we propose to formalize the various agreements the NHLPA and the NHL have reached, and lived under, during the course of the expired CBA, and to clarify mutually identified ambiguities in the CBA. "

That's from the document and it essentially leaves wide open some areas of ambiguity. Until those areas are cemented this isn't a moot point at all. I can 100% see why the Union would be wary of this.

Combine this with the sneaky "Make Whole" clause and while it's absolutely a great first step by the league, I can't see any way that the Union would accept this deal as is.
The NHL estimates the new cap to be $59.9M assuming flat growth for next year. This last part simply means that there is no 5% inflator built into the calcualtion. If you start with the current cap at 70.2M and remove the 5% inflator you get a midpoint at $59.9M. Then reduce this to 50% of revenue rather than 57% and you get a new midpoint at $52.2M meaning a new cap at $60.2M under the old HHR rules vs he proposed $59.9.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
This last part simply means that there is no 5% inflator built into the calcualtion. .
Interesting, if true. How do you know that is what the ambiguity is referring to? Genuinely curious!

Old
10-17-2012, 04:37 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
"We agree to retain the CBAs current HRR definitions. Further, we propose to formalize the various agreements the NHLPA and the NHL have reached, and lived under, during the course of the expired CBA, and to clarify mutually identified ambiguities in the CBA. "

Mutually identified areas of ambiguity in the CBA.

Where in the above does it say anything about not agreeing on a definition of HRR?

What it does seem to say is that there are areas of the last CBA that BOTH sides have deemed to be unclear.

Nothing about HRR.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
I have a huge beef with this train of thought.

That is why it is uausally only very successfull business men who own hockey teams. If the NHL folds the owners will still have other profitable businesses. The players on the other hand will be pumping gas and working at McD's for the most part if there was no pro hockey.

You say most owners are happy breaking even, why is it so unreasonable for players to be happy with an average salary of what ever 50% of revenue is for playing a game for half the year?
There would be some wicked comercial leagues then, eh.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:46 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Mutually identified areas of ambiguity in the CBA.

Where in the above does it say anything about not agreeing on a definition of HRR?

What it does seem to say is that there are areas of the last CBA that BOTH sides have deemed to be unclear.

Nothing about HRR.
"They want to "clarify" HRR definition and rules," executive director Donald Fehr wrote. "It is not immediately clear what this means, but so far all of their ideas in this regard have had the effect of reducing HRR, and thereby lowering salaries."

Clearly the Union sees a reason for concern still as well.

From the letter that TSN posted:

2. HRR Accounting:

- Current HRR Accounting subject to mutual clarification of existing interpretations and settlements.

I think I'll side with the guys who are being paid to read the contracts in this case (not in terms of who is right, but just in terms of what is at stake here)

The definition of the HRR is 100% NOT set in stone at this point and is sticking point as it always has been right from the start.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
The league hasn't offered the players any compensation, though.

The only thing the league has offered that the players wanted is increased revenue sharing and 1 fewer ELC years.

In exchange the league wants 12% of player salaries, UFA to be pushed back a year, and no more front-loading.

Does that seem like a fair deal from the player's perspective? The Players are being asked to give up a lot more than the owners.
of course they are being asked to give up more, the league has a bunch of teams losing massive amounts of money every year, and essentially has 2-4 teams that are floating the rest of the league... the players are gonna have to take a haircut here, pretty simple

Old
10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
50/50: officially not fair.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
lol

Post of the thread.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:02 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
We buy lottery tickets together and win.

I tell you we will split the winnings 50/50 but winnings is defined as total winnings - all of my bills being paid first.

That's when 50/50 is not fair and that's the situation that is to be resolved in the labour negotiations.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:36 PM
T-Funk

Quote:

I tell you we will split the winnings 50/50 but winnings is defined as total winnings - all of my bills being paid first.

That's when 50/50 is not fair and that's the situation that is to be resolved in the labour negotiations.
Ah the magical lottery where no one takes a cut of the ticket money to ensure sustainability?

Old
10-17-2012, 09:52 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Repeatedly?

Wasn't it only once and it wasn't a small chunk at that.
every negotiation report has stated that the players will not take a reduced salary in the new CBA

Old
10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:

revenue = before bills are paid
profit = after bills are paid.

players will be getting 50% of revenue
players will be making 100% profit
owners will be making much, much less than that.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

I think the owners handed over a 1,000 page cba that says goes on endlessly about 5 yr contracts etc and 13 months in someone will "find" a loophole that makes 22 yr contracts and just about everything else ok.

A few small market teams will be picked clean and then we'll go through this farce all over again.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
The poor owners are not making any money. I mean it isn't like they handed out a stupid amount of money in the off season. No one signed 2 players to 80 million contracts or anything.

I am sure the players are the evil ones behind this. I mean they went on strike 3 times already now and brought the poor owners to knees each time and forced the Owners into these contracts.

Why I think the players mandated we move teams to Phoenix,Atlanta and they said if you don't have 2 teams in Florida we are going on strike as well. BTW we also don't want any kind of meaningful revenue sharing AT ALL.

Yep those players the root of all evil. I bet they are behind Katz as well asking the tax payers for more money. Build us a giant arena Hall demanded or we STRIKE again.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
There is a very important fact you are failing to consider.

players will be bringing 100% hockey talent
owners will be bringing 0% hockey talent

I'm not going to pretend this is definitive but clearly there is more to this than your simple statement.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:13 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post

I'm not going to pretend this is definitive but clearly there is more to this than your simple statement.
yep, that why the players get 50% of the revenue, and they have to invest 0% of it.

Just check out Taylor Halls latest twit pic to see how hard he has it.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:18 PM
T-Funk

Quote:

Players will be providing what percent of airplane and equipment costs? What percent of insurance costs?

Old
10-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:

And owners will continue to pay 100 percent of all the salaries to the hockey talent...you are right, your argument is not definitive.

There will always be a pool of players to fill rosters - there is a definitive number of prospective groups that can own NHL teams and cover all the costs. Please refer to Phoenix as an example of limited ownership options.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:45 PM
#ualberta

We should expect a counter proposal from the pa tomorrow I think?

Lebrun tweet:
NHL/NHLPA meeting Thursday at 1 pm ET in Toronto
(thats 11 am MT)

Old
10-18-2012, 12:04 AM
doulos

Quote:
revenue = before bills are paid
profit = after bills are paid.

You are bang on, and I agree. I'm just trying to point out that quick little retorts about 50/50 being fair are completely missing the point of it all. You've demonstrated the opposite side of the spectrum just as well.

There is a reason people sit down and actually read these contracts.

Closed Thread