HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

vCash: 500
I still think a deal gets done that allows the puck to drop on November 2nd. The players are pushing the owners to the brink. What's the harm in that? At the very worst, they accept what is already pretty fair deal proposed by the owners. But the upside is perhaps getting a better deal out of it. Things like this are expected. Like Bob Mckenzie said, it's going to be a roller coster ride for the next week.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:18 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

I still think we'll see hockey this year...but not for another month

closer to mid-December IMO

Old
10-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
I still think a deal gets done that allows the puck to drop on November 2nd. The players are pushing the owners to the brink. What's the harm in that? At the very worst, they accept what is already pretty fair deal proposed by the owners. But the upside is perhaps getting a better deal out of it. Things like this are expected. Like Bob Mckenzie said, it's going to be a roller coster ride for the next week.
The harm is No hockey for the year. If this goes back to a full on battle of wills, the players can't and won't win, then it turns in to the long wait until the players cave.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:23 PM
McNutty780

Dan Cleary looked cracked out

Old
10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I kind of like the idea Damien Cox had on Bob McCowans show. NHL needs to lay down an offer, tell them they have a few days to look it over and if necessary drop a significant counter offer. If nothing is settled by that period, schedule the next meeting for April 1st and tell the PA they can meet you then
Yeah because ultimatum's always work in these type of negotiations

Old
10-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Apparently fehr didn't tell the NHL about the 3rd offer...... what a DS

Old
10-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Free*

Its Donald Fehr's fault. He did this to the MLB and now he's doing it to the NHL. This is like his THIRD lockout, this is his job. The PA hired a guy who will fight to get them money until the end, and until the PA fires him, he will be refusing to negotiate and offering up ******** offers.

The PA is a joke. I bet its agents pushing for more money more than it is the players.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They say that now, but get them liquored up after a couple months and you'll here the Krys Barch's of the world complaining.
Thats a reach. That being said, I would rather just concentrate on Jr. hockey and save some $$$$ in the process.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:32 PM
#ualberta

Wow such a disappointing day i was expecting a counter offer but i was hoping for more positives attitudes both fehr and bettman came out saying they today was a bad day so idk whats going to happen i still think the year isnt lost be idk when we can hope to hockey, unless the players have another proposal i dont see the owners meeting to change the deal they made, the players need to go with a counter proposal i was hoping theyd ask for 52%

Old
10-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Apparently fehr didn't tell the NHL about the 3rd offer...... what a DS
They're saying he didn't present them a third offer on paper, it was a "described" offer ...

the players are all *****ing about the nhl not honoring a 50/50 deal that honors current contracts. Daly's number suggest the mythical third offer is more like 56-57% for the players.

Who knows....

Old
10-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Dreager just tweeted that he expects the nhl to cancel a significant chunk of games tomorrow.
In some way I actually prefer this. Its more realistic. The NHL was still holding hope for an 82 game schedule starting in November which would've been poor value for fans. Teams playing games after 1 week TC if that, no preseason, coldstart, then jamming games into a schedule to make it fit. As a result we'd see two tired teams dogging it every other night and lots of injuries..

oh wait, business as usual

Old
10-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Amazing. Fehr never ran the numbers on his 3rd proposal and his minions take to twitter lambasting Bettman.

Good work PA, good work.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:11 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Amazing. Fehr never ran the numbers on his 3rd proposal and his minions take to twitter lambasting Bettman.

Good work PA, good work.
Why did it take two hours to occur to the media types that "50/50 with all contracts being honored" is not possible?

Hey we're down to 50/50! (if you ignore this 700M).

Old
10-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Not suprised at this.

The players have been preparing to dig in for a confrontation like this since they hired Fehr. Between resentment from the last lockout, and the long term persistent belief that the owners are trying to steal from them, the players won't budge an inch until they crack.

And crack they will. Once the trophy wives start high tailing it out of town, and the reality that there is only one league in the world willing to give out an average salary of 2 million a year, and they are pissing away a year of their very short earning careers - they'll start turning all the emotional stupity and stubborn hostility they have directed at the league straight inwards.

Who knows, maybe the second educational lesson in CBA realities will take better than the first, and be adequately passed onto the next generation of barely educated players since the current group paid very little attention 7 years ago.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:47 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Not suprised at this.

The players have been preparing to dig in for a confrontation like this since they hired Fehr. Between resentment from the last lockout, and the long term persistent belief that the owners are trying to steal from them, the players won't budge an inch until they crack.

And crack they will. Once the trophy wives start high tailing it out of town, and the reality that there is only one league in the world willing to give out an average salary of 2 million a year, and they are pissing away a year of their very short earning careers - they'll start turning all the emotional stupity and stubborn hostility they have directed at the league straight inwards.

Who knows, maybe the second educational lesson in CBA realities will take better than the first, and be adequately passed onto the next generation of barely educated players since the current group paid very little attention 7 years ago.
Well said, sadly this is soo true.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Not suprised at this.

I think the owners should declare it publicly that the longer the players play this lockout/no talk game, then the worse their offers are going to be.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Why did it take two hours to occur to the media types that "50/50 with all contracts being honored" is not possible?

Hey we're down to 50/50! (if you ignore this 700M).
Because the "media types" you're referring to are more worried about being morally superior and staying "friends" with the players.

Look at the guys who were doing it, Proteau, Myrtle, etc.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Nhl should cancel 40 games tomorrow, stand pat for a week then when the PA cracks in two weeks propose a 150 game schedule 50/50 revenues.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Because the "media types" you're referring to are more worried about being morally superior and staying "friends" with the players.

Look at the guys who were doing it, Proteau, Myrtle, etc.
Exactly. I'd love to see some of the medias ask the tough questions to the players. Ask them if the understand that the math doesnt add up. Ask them why they were trumpeting "fairness" and why 50-50 isnt considered fair?

Old
10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Its just mind boggling how many players were trumpeting this **** without Fehr giving them a proper rundown of how it works. Just completely blasting Bettman without understanding a word of it.

Amazing.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Matador

One thing that really bugs me about the players position is the hypocrisy. They argue that they deserve high compensation because of their short playing career, yet seem to make little effort to save for retirement. Opting instead to spend the money as it comes in. Essentially they are talking about intertemporal choice and lifetime earnings. I don't have any problem with people enjoying their hard earned income, but if you are going to argue, on one hand, that you deserve high compensation because of a short career, and then go out and spend a significant portion of that post tax income during your playing career, it is hard to take you seriously. If players took their finances more seriously, we might see more free agent signings in Alberta with the low income tax rates. (I know there is more to think about. Quality of life, etc)

Old
10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
OilForFood

vCash: 450
Shut her down for 2 years, then they'll start to feel the pain

Old
10-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
One thing that really bugs me about the players position is the hypocrisy. They argue that they deserve high compensation because of their short playing career, yet seem to make little effort to save for retirement. Opting instead to spend the money as it comes in. Essentially they are talking about intertemporal choice and lifetime earnings. I don't have any problem with people enjoying their hard earned income, but if you are going to argue, on one hand, that you deserve high compensation because of a short career, and then go out and spend a significant portion of that post tax income during your playing career, it is hard to take you seriously. If players took their finances more seriously, we might see more free agent signings in Alberta with the low income tax rates. (I know there is more to think about. Quality of life, etc)
Yeah, one of the things that bugged me a bit was exactly what you've stated. You'd be amazed as well how many multimillion buck athletes end up on the dole as well or as charity cases, or talk circuit, pay the bills, hired men.

The reality is these are basic idiots that have less of an idea what to do with money than anybody that wins a lottery. Except that the person winning the lottery probably gets better advice, and realize its a one time bonanza. I would imagine getting the regular huge checks with a lot of zeros is one of the biggest problems for the players knowing theres many more headed their way. So they develop bad spending habits.

As a former paying fan one of the things that turned me off was knowing that I was paying high ticket prices for no reason whatsoever. Primarily so that some guy could wipe out in the summer driving drunk at 200K/hr in a high priced sports car.

Theres a lot of players that I'm sure are reasonably nice and have sensibility but a lot of the exorbitant ticket prices goes to serving opulent clown lives. A life that arguably isn't even good for the people spending their way through it.

When you give people with no idea about money, tons of money, some bad things often come along for the ride.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Exactly. I'd love to see some of the medias ask the tough questions to the players. Ask them if the understand that the math doesnt add up. Ask them why they were trumpeting "fairness" and why 50-50 isnt considered fair?
no kidding. i have yet to see a single player have to talk his way out of a tough question. Like, 'why is the damage of another lost season worth 1 paycheck?' Or 'don't you know that 57% of 2 billion is less than 50% of 4 billion', or 'don't you know that your league is a laughingstock in the pro sports world'.

Or they one I'd really love to hear one of them explain: 'why do you insist owners honour their contracts when players (ie, Dany Healty, Chris Pronger) dishonour their contracts all the time?' I can't wait for the first player to hold out till they are traded and 'ask what happened to honouring contracts?'

Old
10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilForFood View Post
Shut her down for 2 years, then they'll start to feel the pain
That's about how long the players would have to hold out to "win" the stalemate, the owners were more than willing to go 2 years last time around.

But it's easier to practice solidarity for 2 years with 30 owners who aren't dependant on the league revenue verses 700 players who are entirely dependant on it.

Closed Thread