HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
I had a dream last night I was in a pub drinking. The lights came on, and the bartenders changed all the TV's to the same channel and it was announced the lockout was over.
The entire pub started clapping and cheering.

Goddamnit, I'm in a bad way here.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm pretty optimistic about this!

A long closed door meeting, a conference call and another meeting set up for later this week?
Wowzers!!!
Pretty friggin crazy that this kind of stuff has us optimistic. Here's a thought before the end of the next CBA: Start talking in earnest before it expires?

Old
11-04-2012, 12:20 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
I'm pretty optimistic about this!

A long closed door meeting, a conference call and another meeting set up for later this week?
Wowzers!!!
Just don't dismiss the Donald Fehr factor. I am not getting any hopes up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Pretty friggin crazy that this kind of stuff has us optimistic. Here's a thought before the end of the next CBA: Start talking in earnest before it expires?
For sure, we should have got to this point 2 months ago. An indictment of how much Bettman and Fehr care about the fans.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:42 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Just don't dismiss the Donald Fehr factor. I am not getting any hopes up yet.
yeah, what the NHL is offering right now (NHL paid "make whole" and 50/50 HRR split) is about as good as its going to get for the players... the NHLPA might be able to get the NHL to move a bit on the contract lengths (say from max 5 to max 6) and UFA age, but thats about it.... this is pretty much as good as its going to get for the NHLPA

Old
11-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, what the NHL is offering right now (NHL paid "make whole" and 50/50 HRR split) is about as good as its going to get for the players... the NHLPA might be able to get the NHL to move a bit on the contract lengths (say from max 5 to max 6) and UFA age, but thats about it.... this is pretty much as good as its going to get for the NHLPA
Both sides are facing mounting pressure from the people they represent. Hopefully that means this is more like the NBA situation was and this bs gets settled.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:45 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Ya I'll only really get my hopes up once Bettman and D. Fehr leave a meeting where they were in the same room and manage not to trash the other each other to the media.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:35 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Bettman tried to start negotiating a year and a half ago and Fehr would have none of it. The more I learn about Fehr the more I dislike the guy.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I think the players have pushed the owners as much as they can. We're going to see something in the next few days.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
I think the players have pushed the owners as much as they can. We're going to see something in the next few days.
Or not.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:48 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
This is pretty much the most hopeful I've been since the owners tabled their first offer.

If they can get it done this week or next, a December start and a decent training camp should be doable.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:57 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. You never know with these guys. Sick of the roller coaster ride.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:17 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Sorry to dampen the enthusiasm but until Donald Fehr and Bettman are on board with this newfound "progress" then i will continue to think that the season is toast. I still believe that "The Donald" has no interest in getting a deal done soon and that he will poo poo this little bit of progress soon enough. He has the players brainwashed very effectively based on some of the players comments so this thing is still a long way from showing any signficant signs of progress IMO, this isn't the first time that Steve Fehr and Bill Daly have had extensive conversations.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

^
I don't know. He typically has put out a memo or statement immediately after something has transpired the next morning. All we heard today was that there would be a conference call for the NHLPA.
Also the players have told him to quit the media games and focus on negotiations. I think we could be close to deal here...

Old
11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Mr Forever

No negative responses from the players via twitter. This is a good sign. Silence is best at this point.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Fuhryous

I'm not a business man, so if they could reach a deal in principal in the next 7-10 days (and sort out the non-core issues prior to final approval), could they not get in a two week training camp starting around or between the 2nd and 3rd week of November with a few pre-season games and have the season start around December 1st? Or do they need a new CBA, signed sealed and delivered prior to the lockout coming to a full end and any training camp starting? If my first scenario/question is plausible, here's to hoping there is NHL hockey sooner than later.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:42 PM
#ualberta

@aaronward_nhl: NHLPA has a noon (Eastern) conference call on Monday for the Executive Board and Negotiating Committee. #TSN

It's day 50 of the lockout

Old
11-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Mr Forever

So from the outside it looks like the heads agree on principle, they need the negotiators to work out some kinks, then the ball will really get going.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
So from the outside it looks like the heads agree on principle, they need the negotiators to work out some kinks, then the ball will really get going.
I'm only hoping for two features, length of contract max and a buyout clause.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
#ualberta

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Still not finalized 100 percent, but NHLPA/NHL tentatively scheduled to resume talks Tuesday in NYC

I'm optimistic and excited at this time we will see what happens Tuesday

Old
11-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl
NHLPA has moved conference call to 4 PM (eastern) on Monday for the Executive Board and Negotiating Committee. #TSN
Looks like the hamster finally jumped back on the wheel.

EDIT: I wasnt aware that the NHLPA had a conference call planned until that tweet

Old
11-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm looking forward to Fehr's statement. "Today should have been a good day but..."

Old
11-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Niet

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. I've already been fooled once.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Gus Schmidt

I'm beginning to think that the owners want to get Fehr fired. They may think that once the players realize that they will never recover what they are losing in the lockout, they will turf him. I don't know how it will eventually settle, but I keep thinking that the players have a ton more to lose than the owners. The owners are probably thinking that they should expect full capitulation from the PA.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post
I'm beginning to think that the owners want to get Fehr fired. They may think that once the players realize that they will never recover what they are losing in the lockout, they will turf him. I don't know how it will eventually settle, but I keep thinking that the players have a ton more to lose than the owners. The owners are probably thinking that they should expect full capitulation from the PA.
Well it was my understanding, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Fehr was just brought in for this negotiation. Basically he was brought in to make the best deal he could and will be leaving after.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Do we know what went on during those meetings? For all we know they basically agreed and just need the players and owners to vote on it. I'm pretty sure more and more players just want to play NHL hockey. Hopefully Tuesday brings good news for us fans, this is getting real old!

Closed Thread