HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Do we know what went on during those meetings? For all we know they basically agreed and just need the players and owners to vote on it. I'm pretty sure more and more players just want to play NHL hockey. Hopefully Tuesday brings good news for us fans, this is getting real old!
Good news, if true, indeed, I think it's more both sides are ready to start playing hockey now. The players want as much as they can still get now and the owners realize the fans are much more apathetic to the process this time as opposed to last time.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
adater @adater

NHLPA players told on conference call today that while the talks were long yesterday, nobody can really say for sure if there was " real progress" or not until further talks are held and more specifics are discussed. Steve Fehr's and Bill Daly's talks yesterday were very general. While there IS an uptick in overall optimism, right now that can only be truly classified as slight until the details get more into the nitty-gritty.
Just get a deal done guys.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
The fact nobody involved is talking about it tell me there has been progress. Similar to the NBA lockout last year, once the ball actually got going and the parties involved got to work, it got quiet.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Jeff Lebowski

I've got a feeling that this strike is going to be over this week. I hope that the Oilers will still leave the big 4 on the Barons for the games in Abbotsford Friday & Saturday seeing as they just sold a bunch of Oiler fans a long bus trip to Abbotsford for the games. Playing these competitive games would probably be better for them anyway then being in a mini training camp.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:41 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
The fact nobody involved is talking about it tell me there has been progress. Similar to the NBA lockout last year, once the ball actually got going and the parties involved got to work, it got quiet.
I agree. That means the mud slinging and finger pointing has stopped and they don't want to piss each other off. They want to get it done.

If this round of talks breaks off. I think we can all agree that the season is a wright off.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:47 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I've got a feeling that this strike is going to be over this week. I hope that the Oilers will still leave the big 4 on the Barons for the games in Abbotsford Friday & Saturday seeing as they just sold a bunch of Oiler fans a long bus trip to Abbotsford for the games. Playing these competitive games would probably be better for them anyway then being in a mini training camp.
I don't see anyreason why they don't play as long as they can for the Barons. At this point they may as well effectivly be called up the day before the first game.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

If we're lucky and the season does start in November, I'll be over the moon. Having the guys play some games in OKC and Yakupov playing well in the KHL, they're good stepping stones coming into the season. Schultz and Yakupov in particular will get the benefit of playing in a pro league, but not being thrust into the NHL immediately. It could make for a very smooth transition, and hopefully we can start the season strong. We typically start strong and then slowly watch the wheels fall off, maybe a shorter season could help us as it's less time for everything to screw up. Maybe.

Plus if the season starts within the next couple weeks, Yakupov will already be in Canada because of the Subway Super Series.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I don't see anyreason why they don't play as long as they can for the Barons. At this point they may as well effectivly be called up the day before the first game.
No, they need time with the rest of the NHL guys, bring them into camp, especially Schultz imo, would help get them more ready for the NHL.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:06 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I agree. That means the mud slinging and finger pointing has stopped and they don't want to piss each other off. They want to get it done.

If this round of talks breaks off. I think we can all agree that the season is a wright off.
Insert Donald Fehr troll face. #reptile

Old
11-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post

well, have we reached the eleventh hour? i believe neither side is ready to gas another season for what is left to lose (about 200 million, either way). that is close enough to make a season lost not worth it.. you would think.

a deal will be done, but will it it be done in time to have at least a 60 game season (which, IMO, is long enough to forgive and forget)? a fifty game season (IOW, no deal/no hockey till January) is too short to forgive either side.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:09 PM
AM

If nothing happens in the next week you may as well buy your tickets for next year cause thats the soonest youre going to see the Oilers play.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:12 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No, they need time with the rest of the NHL guys, bring them into camp, especially Schultz imo, would help get them more ready for the NHL.
? you really think so. What do they do when a player is coming back from a long injury to prepare him for the NHL. they give him a couple AHL games. Them playing together in the AHL is better than camp. All camp is is practice, you skate around and shoot pucks.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:14 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
If nothing happens in the next week you may as well buy your tickets for next year cause thats the soonest youre going to see the Oilers play.
I agree. If there is a season, it has to be done this week. 62 games or so starting late november. Get it done.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:44 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
I agree. If there is a season, it has to be done this week. 62 games or so starting late november. Get it done.
they cancelled the season in mid-Feb last lockout

heck, the 94-95 lockout lasted until January and we still played 48

plenty of time for a season still

Old
11-05-2012, 12:17 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

No kidding.

We aren't near the panic button yet IMO, and there is plenty of time to get this done.

I'm sure they would prefer either 60ish games, but they won't give up until 45-49 games is completely out of the question.

My gut feeling though is the deal is done by the end of November and we are playing by December 15th or so, or at least I hope.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
? you really think so. What do they do when a player is coming back from a long injury to prepare him for the NHL. they give him a couple AHL games. Them playing together in the AHL is better than camp. All camp is is practice, you skate around and shoot pucks.
You really have to see how Schultz, imo, stacks up. He's playing lights out in the minors, but you want him in the NHL.

Plus the reality is, the minors don't really matter, for these players, once the NHL is back on.

If anything OKC, but so will many other teams, will ravaged because you're going to see a ton of guys called up to compete for spots.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:05 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

Sure but the pie is going to be much diminished. I dont see the respective players this time settling for a mutual loss.

If the owners have to bite the bullet, they will want to get the reward. With half of them not making any money there is likely the type of will to wait for a good CBA.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

i still think January is the magic month. After these talks, and talks next month the Christmas spirit will have everybody thinking you know what, why can't we just get this done. so around new years they'll have their final talks and a new season will be announced in January

Old
11-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Nobody will care anymore if they let it go that long.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
A lot of people already don't care. The majority of people that post here and on other forums will likely be back the minute hockey is back on, but we are the exception, not the rule - even the most casual of posters here is much more of a hardcore hockey fan than the vast majority of people.

But even though most of us here will be watching, I think that unlike the last time, there will be a lot more empty seats around the league.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Yeah, but that's just it... we're talking about practice.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe it's because I don't live in Canada... Or I'm just getting older... But I agree with you. I find myself caring less about the NHL every day.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
probably to get chemistry with their teammates?

Old
11-05-2012, 01:06 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
probably to get chemistry with their teammates?
so sure, maybe call them up 4-5 days before season starts. I am just saying if there is a 2 week camp, they don't need to be at the whole camp. They are getting better experince actually playing. camp is to get players into game shape. Nuge, Hall, Shults, eberle are already in game shape. just keep them playing games.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
i still think January is the magic month. After these talks, and talks next month the Christmas spirit will have everybody thinking you know what, why can't we just get this done. so around new years they'll have their final talks and a new season will be announced in January
More like Hanukkah spirit given those at the top, lol.

Closed Thread