HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2012, 12:44 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Logic and reasoning would dictate this shouldn't go long, but logic and reasoning don't apply when Garry Bettman is at the table. The league has been unreasonable in it's demands for this long, I don't see why they'd suddenly stop in the next few months. I do believe they could meet half way, but I think the league will have to be the first to show some wiggle room because of how far off from reality their offer is.

To tell you the truth, I'm actually worried about next season taking a dent. The good news I hold out for is that if we do lose another season, and perhaps then some, that we could see Bettman gone.

Old
10-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Jamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Logic and reasoning would dictate this shouldn't go long, but logic and reasoning don't apply when Garry Bettman is at the table. The league has been unreasonable in it's demands for this long, I don't see why they'd suddenly stop in the next few months. I do believe they could meet half way, but I think the league will have to be the first to show some wiggle room because of how far off from reality their offer is.

To tell you the truth, I'm actually worried about next season taking a dent. The good news I hold out for is that if we do lose another season, and perhaps then some, that we could see Bettman gone.
where do you get your news on the lockout?

Old
10-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
Quote:

It is beyond me how you can blame bettman for this?

You do know that he is just a puppet for the owners right?

Old
10-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:

And conversely, it is amazing that the players will not waiver on the percentage of HRR that they want - too bad they aren't willing to come up with a realistic proposal that both sides can begin to negotiate. Soon as Fehr is gone this might happen...

Old
10-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

The league and the players can't even agree on what HRR is, so until that gets settled you won't see any movement on an agreement of how to split it.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The league and the players can't even agree on what HRR is, so until that gets settled you won't see any movement on an agreement of how to split it.
move Phoenix to Seattle...put a team in Markham...suddenly league revenue multiplies. Why the NHL is fighting this is comical. They whine about revenue but they hold the golden goose in their hands and for some reason choose not to use it.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
move Phoenix to Seattle...put a team in Markham...suddenly league revenue multiplies. Why the NHL is fighting this is comical. They whine about revenue but they hold the golden goose in their hands and for some reason choose not to use it.
Yeah sure, but that wasn't really my point.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
You can move another team to QC while you're at it. You could move another one back to Hartford too, and one to Houston (good for Dallas) and HAMILTON.

Teams that have no future in the league, opinion mine, :
Phoenix
Columbus
Florida
Tampa
Anaheim
Possibly Nashville

I wouldn't mind seeing a contraction either. Then expand and get expansion dollars in QC and Seattle instead.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yeah sure, but that wasn't really my point.
But it would increase revenue for the owners...

Old
10-08-2012, 04:15 AM
#ualberta

This is a geat read
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...snt-have-them/
Here is the main point The top three most profitable nba teams made a huge majority of the leaugues profit (more then 90%) as a result revenue sharing in the nba was tripled in this last cba, in the nhl the top three teams (nyr leafs mtl) also make up a huge majority of the nhl's profit (approximately 80%) many of the other 27 either lose money or dont profit nearly as much
About 150 million is shared in the league today the nhl propoesed increasing that to 190 the pa proposed increasing that to 250 million
This article was enlightening for me with regards to the importance of revenue sharing the pa mentioned it many times with bettman always saying that was not the most important or hardest issue to agree upon, it seems to me that heavy increases in revenue sharing would help many nhl teams become profitable or closer to it and hopefully over time it can be decreased as the game grows and more teams become profitable on their own, 27 of the leagues 30 teams should be in favour of increasing revenue sharing and the pa obviously also see this as a key issue and one that would help stabilize this league financially, but even if many teams dont want the heavy revenue sharing i see it as a way to help solve many issues because the game is becoming more populare in smaller nontraditional markets and if it is maintaina with revenue sharing many more teams will become profitable eventually and the cut to players share of revenue doesnt need to be as big as thr nhl currently is asking

Last edited by 402: 10-08-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old
10-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
This is a geat read
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...snt-have-them/
Here is the main point The top three most profitable nba teams made a huge majority of the leaugues profit (more then 90%) as a result revenue sharing in the nba was tripled in this last cba, in the nhl the top three teams (nyr leafs mtl) also make up a huge majority of the nhl's profit (approximately 80%) many of the other 27 either lose money or dont profit nearly as much
About 150 million is shared in the league today the nhl propoesed increasing that to 190 the pa proposed increasing that to 250 million
This article was enlightening for me with regards to the importance of revenue sharing the pa mentioned it many times with bettman always saying that was not the most important or hardest issue to agree upon, it seems to me that heavy increases in revenue sharing would help many nhl teams become profitable or closer to it and hopefully over time it can be decreased as the game grows and more teams become profitable on their own, 27 of the leagues 30 teams should be in favour of increasing revenue sharing and the pa obviously also see this as a key issue and one that would help stabilize this league financially, but even if many teams dont want the heavy revenue sharing i see it as a way to help solve many issues because the game is becoming more populare in smaller nontraditional markets and if it is maintaina with revenue sharing many more teams will become profitable eventually and the cut to players share of revenue doesnt need to be as big as thr nhl currently is asking

interesting, to be sure. makes Fehr's argument seem more reasonable.

good grief, i haven't got a clue what to think. just watch CHL.

Old
10-08-2012, 06:29 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
So if 27 owners would be in favour of revenue sharing wtf has it not been agreed to increase it?
Do three owners have all the say in this?
I agree with one thing the players are proposing..its the rev.sharing, however, if the NHL does that the PA need to back off on their 57% split..drop it 2% per year for the next four years and they d likely see no loss $s in their pay stubs

Old
10-08-2012, 08:02 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Wouldn't that just make things worse for the 'bubble' teams financially? League-wide revenue going up would just make the cap rise... which is the problem for the troubled markets. The cost of icing a team has them bleeding red ink.

That just brings us back to the revenue sharing vs HRR reduction arguments.

The big problem with the last CBA was simply a (huge IMO) oversight in assuming that if revenue went up, everyone would be happy. Revenue went up in the markets that were driving NHL growth, leaving sunbelt teams struggling against a constantly changing competition dynamic. Talent was getting more expensive than they can afford, but talent was the only way to keep bodies in the seats.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:10 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
So if 27 owners would be in favour of revenue sharing wtf has it not been agreed to increase it?
Do three owners have all the say in this?
I agree with one thing the players are proposing..its the rev.sharing, however, if the NHL does that the PA need to back off on their 57% split..drop it 2% per year for the next four years and they d likely see no loss $s in their pay stubs
Well exactly... but this is where the standoff is. NHL owners (and I believe it is more than 3 of them that "share" vs "receive") are fundamentally opposed to being the ENTIRE solution. My guess it that a few of the top earners could care less if a few of the poor teams folded... less revenue sharing = more profit.

Keeping those poorer teams afloat does more to help the players in the immediate term (keeping jobs), so the owners are adamant that the players foot some of the bill to keep those teams afloat.

It only seems reasonable to me... as an owner I'd really need to see it explained, and re-explained how having Nashville and Pheonix around is *really* going to help me with a TV deal in the near future, given i) one was just signed anyway and its terms are a certainty, and ii) new revenue models (direct NHL streaming, AppleTV, etc) are likely to shake up the industry before the next deal is ready for signature.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
But it would increase revenue for the owners...
The owners and players can't agree on what revenue actually is at this point though, so increasing revenue is a moot point until they've actually put a definition on it and decided how to split it amongst themselves.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:53 AM
doubledown99

Put yourselves in the rich teams position. Say you are TSN. You just paid over a billion dollars for the Leafs. Would you want to share your profits? Revenue sharing is a good idea but if im an owner why would I want to share my profits with teams that aren't financially viable?

Old
10-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
It is beyond me how you can blame bettman for this?

You do know that he is just a puppet for the owners right?
Do you believe all 30 owners are on the same page.

Old
10-08-2012, 03:04 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Put yourselves in the rich teams position. Say you are TSN. You just paid over a billion dollars for the Leafs. Would you want to share your profits? Revenue sharing is a good idea but if im an owner why would I want to share my profits with teams that aren't financially viable?
True but the thing is there are very few rich teams as compared to the poor. Bettman should represent the interest of all the owners and more owners would be in favor of rev sharing

At this time I don't think the owners are all on the same page nor are the players

Old
10-08-2012, 03:07 PM
#ualberta

The rich owners have money they could be making the poor owners (when I say owners I mean teams) would lose money but with increased rev. Sharing they can l make money maybe not much in the immediate future but they be growing they're investments

Old
10-08-2012, 03:11 PM
#ualberta

I'm not only blaming owners here the players need to go down on they're 57% but with the help of eev. Sharing maybe they only go down to 53%
While players seem strong they're all going to quickly realize just how much money they're losing

Old
10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Do you believe all 30 owners are on the same page.
Not sure where you got that from my post?

Nobody in this lockout is on the same page... Owners and players are all divided in this lockout (obviously the poor teams owners (CBJ,PHX,etc) are in more favour of a lockout than the richer teams owners (TOR, NYR, etc)) and I was merely making a reference that Bettman isn't really to blame for this lockout (as the post I was replying to was insinuating) because he is a simple representative for the owners... Bettman's job is to look out for the best interests of the owners as well as the best interests of the NHL... He is merely doing what the majority has told him to do...

Also side note: As I recall the owners unanimously voted in favour of a lockout... So they were obviously on the same page when it came to a lockout

Old
10-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
Not sure where you got that from my post?

Nobody in this lockout is on the same page... Owners and players are all divided in this lockout (obviously the poor teams owners (CBJ,PHX,etc) are in more favour of a lockout than the richer teams owners (TOR, NYR, etc)) and I was merely making a reference that Bettman isn't really to blame for this lockout (as the post I was replying to was insinuating) because he is a simple representative for the owners... Bettman's job is to look out for the best interests of the owners as well as the best interests of the NHL... He is merely doing what the majority has told him to do...

Also side note: As I recall the owners unanimously voted in favour of a lockout... So they were obviously on the same page when it came to a lockout
Maybe its unanimous, but I'm sure there are a few owners that voted reluctantly FOR the lockout just so they don't get any backlash from Bettman.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Soundwave

So if they can get to a 50-50 split (phased in over a number of years) in revenue and increased revenue sharing to say $200 million ... what else is there left to discuss?

Old
10-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
NBA and NHL are apples and oranges. Especially in the USA.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:43 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
NBA and NHL are apples and oranges. Especially in the USA.
The games and they're popularity can not be compared however the economics can be nhl uses hrr nba uses bri or basketball related income
Also the most profitable franchises in both the nhl and nba made up the vast majority of that leagues profit the nba tripled revenue sharing to help mediate that problem the nba is a much more successful league maybe a similare approach would help our game, lower player share to something like 53% as well as doubling revenue sharing may be a good way to help move this league away from economic instability
When i say doubling and 53% these are hypothetical values i did not do the math nor do i know the proper numbers to see how much more revenue sharing can be increased and how 53% would effect player salary and thus owner profit

Closed Thread