HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Do you believe all 30 owners are on the same page.
Do you believe all 600 players are on the same page?

Old
10-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Do you believe all 600 players are on the same page?
Thank you for proving my point.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:45 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
True but the thing is there are very few rich teams as compared to the poor. Bettman should represent the interest of all the owners and more owners would be in favor of rev sharing

At this time I don't think the owners are all on the same page nor are the players
Im sure there are NHL bylaws involved with whether the poor teams can vote themselves rich teams monies.

Its not a matter of a vote.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

It sucks because there really isn't even a proposal to argue about. The owners gave their billion page proposal but since then The players haven't put anything out there aside from a few complaints and assumptions about what the owners will probably do if/when they submit their proposal.

This process hasn't even started yet. There's nothing to look forward to. It's a joke.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
NBA and NHL are apples and oranges. Especially in the USA.
Sure you are right about that. But the nature of both lockouts are very similar. Both involved dividing the revenue and increasing revenue sharing. This is part of the reason why I believe the lockout won't last the entire season..or maybe I'm just a glass half full guy.

Anyways, the situation with the NBA lockout was just as gloom and dark as the current NHL lockout, if not more. Most fans, analysts, and media were convinced that the 2011-12 season was down the toilet. Stern and Hunter had so much hostility between them, much like Bettman and Goodenow in 2004-05.

I don't sense that much hostility between Bettman and Fehr. They are talking in private away from the media's attention (private emails and phone calls). What they say behind the scenes is anyone's guess. But there is dialogue between the two leaders, which in a sense is positive, depending on how you want to spin it.

Like I said, maybe I'm a glass half full guy and believe there will be a season this year, albeit an abbreviated one.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:28 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
Im sure there are NHL bylaws involved with whether the poor teams can vote themselves rich teams monies.

Its not a matter of a vote.
I think you are misunderstanding me i didnt mean they're actually going to vote for increasing rev sharing but rather that its in the best interest of most teams to increase revenue sharing he problem in this lockout is similar to that of the nba in the new nba cba players took a smaller piece of the pie but at the same time revenue sharing was tripled
So i see the main economic issue not just being how revenue is split but also how much revenue sharing is increased

Old
10-09-2012, 03:38 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Sure you are right about that. But the nature of both lockouts are very similar. Both involved dividing the revenue and increasing revenue sharing. This is part of the reason why I believe the lockout won't last the entire season..or maybe I'm just a glass half full guy.

Anyways, the situation with the NBA lockout was just as gloom and dark as the current NHL lockout, if not more. Most fans, analysts, and media were convinced that the 2011-12 season was down the toilet. Stern and Hunter had so much hostility between them, much like Bettman and Goodenow in 2004-05.

I don't sense that much hostility between Bettman and Fehr. They are talking in private away from the media's attention (private emails and phone calls). What they say behind the scenes is anyone's guess. But there is dialogue between the two leaders, which in a sense is positive, depending on how you want to spin it.

Like I said, maybe I'm a glass half full guy and believe there will be a season this year, albeit an abbreviated one.
Great points, the nhl and nba are govern by similar economic systems which is why we are suffering simialr lockouts. And like the nba imo this lockout will end before the new year and with a similar result players will take a lower percentage and revenue sharing will be increased

Old
10-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Psychoil

question here. Lets say, for arguments sake, the lockout goes the distance. what happens to the oilers place in the draft? Are we ensured a top 5 pick? or number 1 again? or what?

Old
10-09-2012, 10:39 AM
ghostnights
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 2338
It saddens me but I don't think we will see NHL hockey this year.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
question here. Lets say, for arguments sake, the lockout goes the distance. what happens to the oilers place in the draft? Are we ensured a top 5 pick? or number 1 again? or what?
If they do what they did in 2004-05 then no we would have terrible odds the teams who make the playoffs or had 1 st overall pick in the previous two or three seasons have a much less chance at the top pick. However it depends what going the distance means last lovkout ened near the end of july and the draft was held after that, no draft during the lockout, and its not clear whether the same system will be used again this lockout

Old
10-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
That's been discussed ad nauseum. The thinking is would would likely be similar to last time, so we would have a 2% chance at #1 overall, with the best odds for teams that haven't made the playoffs the last 3 years at 6%.

But I think a more interesting question is - what if the lockout goes past the summer, and into September next year, or more?

Old
10-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
That's been discussed ad nauseum. The thinking is would would likely be similar to last time, so we would have a 2% chance at #1 overall, with the best odds for teams that haven't made the playoffs the last 3 years at 6%.

But I think a more interesting question is - what if the lockout goes past the summer, and into September next year, or more?
thats an easy one, suicide, high level bridge!

okay but then how the hell did the penguins land sidney crosby back in 04-05 when they finished bottom five for the past 4 years.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
If they do what they did in 2004-05 then no we would have terrible odds the teams who make the playoffs or had 1 st overall pick in the previous two or three seasons have a much less chance at the top pick. However it depends what going the distance means last lovkout ened near the end of july and the draft was held after that, no draft during the lockout, and its not clear whether the same system will be used again this lockout
It's going to be very similar to the 2005 draft.

Oilers will have one ball because we had 3 first overall picks.

Teams that will have hte best chance of winning will be the Leafs, Flames, Blue Jackets

Old
10-09-2012, 01:59 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
thats an easy one, suicide, high level bridge!

okay but then how the hell did the penguins land sidney crosby back in 04-05 when they finished bottom five for the past 4 years.
missed the playoffs for 3 straight years before the draft lotto, picked whitney at 5, fleury at 1(but with florida's pick), then malkin at 2.

so they did not lose any balls in the draw

Old
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
I cannot fathom the NHL shutting down for a whole year and no teams competing for the Stanley Cup for the 2nd time in 8 years...I think it's career suicide for both Bettman and Fehr if we lose another season

losing a season for 7 percentage points in HRR seems asinine

I think cooler heads prevail and we're playing in January

Old
10-09-2012, 08:23 PM
NewBoysClub97
All-Star

Rob Simpson ‏@simmerpuck

According to source close to ownership, even with a little grandstanding for show, thrown in for another 2 weeks or so, Game On by mid-Nov.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:34 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Rob Simpson ‏@simmerpuck

According to source close to ownership, even with a little grandstanding for show, thrown in for another 2 weeks or so, Game On by mid-Nov.
Never heard of that guy before

For me, watching from a far, neither side is serious yet and they have not tackled the big issues.

The earliest we are to games is Jan 1st if they can get serious in the next two weeks. #

Bouncing around the boards here and a few other sites, if a contract was signed today most teams are not ready to start the season behind the scenes.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
10-09-2012, 09:00 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Rob Simpson ‏@simmerpuck

Thats good to hear, obviously the accuracy isn't really known, i'll take it with a gran of salt! Still go to hear though.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Never heard of that guy before

For me, watching from a far, neither side is serious yet and they have not tackled the big issues.

The earliest we are to games is Jan 1st if they can get serious in the next two weeks. #

Bouncing around the boards here and a few other sites, if a contract was signed today most teams are not ready to start the season behind the scenes.
That's easy to say, if the big issues were tackled the lockout would be over.

Pierre Lebrun made some tweets several days ago that said there was a big shift of positive momentum with both sides communicating the need for there to be concessions on both sides.

The timing of that corresponds nicely with the tweet the poster you quoted posted, its in everyones interest to start playing NHL hockey again - especially with the amount of $$$ everyone will lose out on by missing the winter classic.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:22 PM
T-Funk

I would think we have hockey 2-3 weeks after the moment they get serious. They are solving all the little things as we speak.

Am I correct in assuming that once the season is back on, the schedule remains the same as originally planned? They don't do something crazy like rescheduling everything to even out divisional matches, etc do they?

Just hoping the Jets coming to town will still be happening

Old
10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I would think we have hockey 2-3 weeks after the moment they get serious. They are solving all the little things as we speak.

Am I correct in assuming that once the season is back on, the schedule remains the same as originally planned? They don't do something crazy like rescheduling everything to even out divisional matches, etc do they?

well in 94-95 they played a 48 game schedule that was completely redone and there were no interconference games. Also that year the regular season didn't end until May.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post

According to Darren Dreger, if the CBA was signed this week, the season would start on Oct. 25 with an 82 game schedule. I'm sure they'll revise the schedule one way or the other. It might be condensed slightly.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilernut View Post
well in 94-95 they played a 48 game schedule that was completely redone and there were no interconference games. Also that year the regular season didn't end until may.
h2 oh no

Old
10-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
especially with the amount of $$$ everyone will lose out on by missing the winter classic.
Why the winter classic though? I hear people talk about THAT game as the point of no return, and there's no doubt it is the single most lucrative regular season game of the year, but how much is that single game really worth to the league? I know long term it would be devastating to lose it just this year, but from just from a $ standpoint, how much goes into the league's coffers for this game?

Old
10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Why the winter classic though? I hear people talk about THAT game as the point of no return, and there's no doubt it is the single most lucrative regular season game of the year, but how much is that single game really worth to the league? I know long term it would be devastating to lose it just this year, but from just from a $ standpoint, how much goes into the league's coffers for this game?
toronto is in it this year, that means a huge revenue bubble coming in. all day coverage on NBC as well as obviously canada

Closed Thread