HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

vCash: 500
I'm surprised there isn't more talk about Mersch. He's a big left-winger, and just had a huge season at Wisconsin. I guess he's a year or two away...

Old
06-19-2013, 03:49 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I'm surprised there isn't more talk about Mersch. He's a big left-winger, and just had a huge season at Wisconsin. I guess he's a year or two away...
Just like Gravel and Dowd to a lesser extent, he could have gone either way - go pro or stay another year. He chose to stay. That's fine. Not going to hurt him in any way.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Any chance he would he come to training camp and win a spot?

Old
06-19-2013, 03:56 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Any chance he would he come to training camp and win a spot?
Highly unlikely. He'd have to pay his own way to camp and even if he does, there just isn't room for him just yet. Though he isn't far.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:11 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I'd have to go look at all the call ups for the black aces but if I recall, we didn't really have a huge group of them two years ago. The only two I remember are Muzzin and Jones. And this past year we did call up a lot but I'm not sure what to read in to that. Kolomatis has been steadily improving and it'd be a shame for him to leave now. And I have to disagree on Ellerby. Even on a bad team, he'd still be a bad defenseman at this point. He's just not very good at anything besides skating. Sure a team might claim him but even if they do, it really isn't a big loss.
It was about the same amount of players both years;

http://www.manchestermonarchs.com/news.php?nid=4403

Can't find this archived on the Kings site...
Andreoff, Azevedo, Campbell, Cliché, Clune, Hickey, Jones, Mullen, Muzzin, Vey, plus Toffoli from the CHL. 11 players

No Kolomatis, Meckler, Deslauriers, O'Neil, Kaunisto, Legien or Zatkoff.

This past playoffs;
http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/05/09...ll-10-players/

Andreoff, Bodnarchuk, Campbell, Czarnik, Deslauriers, Kozun, O'Neil, Pearson, Vey, Weal, with Jones and Berube already in LA. Total of 12 players.

Legein, Meckler, Kolomatis and Cliché are the only ones under NHL contract not to be called up and I think Cliché had a nagging injury, but later joined the Aces for the Chicago series.

Two years ago the Kings let Kaunisto, and Zatkoff walk after the season, Legein, O'Neil, Kolomatis, and Deslauriers all still had years left on their deals. O'Neil and Deslauriers get called up this year, while Meckler, Legein, and Kolomatis don't but have expiring contracts. Pretty clear sign to me that none of those three are in the Kings long term plans.

Old
06-21-2013, 06:14 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Kolo may not be in the Kings long term plans but he's very useful for the AHL team.

Not sure where to put this but I don't feel like making a rookie camp thread so figured I'd pass along this invite to our camp:

Quote:
@CTVDarrell
Brooks Bandits Captain Cam Maclise has been invited to the LA Kings development camp. #AJHL #NHL

Old
06-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Not sure where to put this but I don't feel like making a rookie camp thread so figured I'd pass along this invite to our camp:
Inviting a kid who is captain of their team seems about right.

Old
06-21-2013, 09:33 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Kolo may not be in the Kings long term plans but he's very useful for the AHL team.

Agreed, I think Kolo at worst provides Manchester with a solid PP QB and 6th D-man, but I just don't see the interest from either the Kings or Monarchs being there.

To add to the tweet above:

http://www.brooksbandits.ca/media-ce...ml?newsID=3110

Not sure I'd seen the dates (July 7-12th) of the development camp announced anywhere yet either.

A 21 year-old AJHL forward commited to playing next year at the University of New Brunswick? Seems like an odd invite... Not much of a hockey future ahead of him it would seem.
Good size at 6'3" for a skilled player though.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:22 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Agreed, I think Kolo at worst provides Manchester with a solid PP QB and 6th D-man, but I just don't see the interest from either the Kings or Monarchs being there.

To add to the tweet above:

http://www.brooksbandits.ca/media-ce...ml?newsID=3110

Not sure I'd seen the dates (July 7-12th) of the development camp announced anywhere yet either.

A 21 year-old AJHL forward commited to playing next year at the University of New Brunswick? Seems like an odd invite... Not much of a hockey future ahead of him it would seem.
Plenty of decent players have come out of Canadian university hockey and done well. Joel Ward and Steve Rucchin are good examples.

Besides, DL and Co. have done pretty decent in signing undrafted guys lately (Roach, Jones, MacDermid) so if this kid earns a contract, he could be a good investment.

Old
06-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Tadite

This is a bit of older information that I just noticed on the prospects board. It's the full Canucks 2010 draft ranking. I think it's useful to see someone other then the norm. The kings picks are interesting. Kings mentioned they didn't think Forbort would drop that far and seems the Canucks agree. . Maxim as a 3rd rounder is interesting. Both Tyler and Weal are roughly where we picked them.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1452789

10.Forbort
45. Toffoli, Tyler
80. Kitsyn, Maxim
88. Weal, Jordan

I may have missed some. Some other names we had a shot at or get talked about.

6. Tarasenko
46. Etem, Emerson

Old
06-24-2013, 08:19 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
This is a bit of older information that I just noticed on the prospects board. It's the full Canucks 2010 draft ranking. I think it's useful to see someone other then the norm. The kings picks are interesting. Kings mentioned they didn't think Forbort would drop that far and seems the Canucks agree. . Maxim as a 3rd rounder is interesting. Both Tyler and Weal are roughly where we picked them.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1452789

10.Forbort
45. Toffoli, Tyler
80. Kitsyn, Maxim
88. Weal, Jordan

I may have missed some. Some other names we had a shot at or get talked about.

6. Tarasenko
46. Etem, Emerson
Really cool to see that. Toffoli at 45 and Etem at 46 is making me chuckle quite a bit with how butt-hurt some people were when the Kings didn't take him (I still like him better than Forbort honestly.) Nothing really too LOL worthy though... Other than maybe Jaden Schwartz at 38 on their list or Jack Campbell at 5, who Dallas got lambasted for taking at 11...

Old
06-25-2013, 02:24 AM
damacles1156

The pick should have been Tarasenko.

He was the best player in that range.

Etem and Forbort don't hold a candle to what that guy will become.

But drafts are crap shoots.

Old
07-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Brock

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...les-kings.html

A review of LA's OHL prospects. Included is a season review and future outlook.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:05 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Great read, Brock, thanks!

I definitely have high hopes for Colin Miller -- he'll transition to the pro game nicely.

Do you liken his game to that of Alec Martinez?

Old
07-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
The pick should have been Tarasenko.

He was the best player in that range.

Etem and Forbort don't hold a candle to what that guy will become.

But drafts are crap shoots.
No surprise there. Even if Tarasenko did rank higher in the Kings board, the scouting team and Dean have always favor NA players. They only draft Europeans when they fall below the slot. Voynov, for example, was ranked by LA scout to be middle of the 1st talent if I remember correctly. Prokhorkin and Kitsyn both free fall during their draft. Moller and Zykov probably rank somewhere in the 1st round as far as talent wise. The team also selected Hickey before Voracek, who was one of the best player coming into the 2007 draft. I doubt Dean would have selected Hickey over Kane, Van Riemsdyk, or Turris. I count my luck that Dean did not take over 1 season sooner or he probably would not have drafted Kopitar

Well, anyways, every scouting staffs do have their style and this one is magical in the 2nd round..so you take the good with the bad

Old
07-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoForRoughing View Post
Great read, Brock, thanks!

I definitely have high hopes for Colin Miller -- he'll transition to the pro game nicely.

Do you liken his game to that of Alec Martinez?
Um...not sure if that's a terrific comparison. From what I've seen of Martinez, Miller probably profiles as a more physical player. He's also got a terrific point shot, which I've never really noticed about Martinez. And I think Martinez might be a little smoother with the puck and more apt at carrying it up ice than Miller. Different players I think.

I'm not really a fan of comparisons, but in a perfect world, Miller probably develops into a guy like Adrian Aucoin, Mark Giordano, James Wisniewski, etc.

Also, I updated the above link. Completely forgot Kurtis MacDermid in the original article.

Old
09-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Word

Corey Pronman
‏@coreypronman 23h All indications from Zykov as well is he wants to be in North America

http://twitter.com/coreypronman/stat...86520976277504

Manchester or CHL?

Old
09-02-2013, 04:10 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word View Post
Corey Pronman
‏@coreypronman 23h All indications from Zykov as well is he wants to be in North America

Manchester or CHL?
He's only 18, and played all of last year in the Q. I think it's Juniors or NHL, and no way is he playing in the NHL anytime soon.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:16 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word View Post
Corey Pronman

Manchester or CHL?
He can't go to Manchester, because he was drafted out of the CHL.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

The Q it should be. He's not NHL ready, nor would he get much more than 4th line ice time anyways. The days of parking 18 year olds in the line up are over unless they are exceptional talents like Doughty. Zykov can go back to the Q and rip it a new one for a year.

Old
09-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
The Q it should be. He's not NHL ready, nor would he get much more than 4th line ice time anyways. The days of parking 18 year olds in the line up are over unless they are exceptional talents like Doughty. Zykov can go back to the Q and rip it a new one for a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
He can't go to Manchester, because he was drafted out of the CHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
He's only 18, and played all of last year in the Q. I think it's Juniors or NHL, and no way is he playing in the NHL anytime soon.
Thanks guys. Gone are the days of the Kings not having any prospects.

Last edited by Word: 09-03-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old
09-02-2013, 09:07 PM
CNS
A World Alone

There's a possibility of me going up to Ottawa to visit a friend. If I can, Quebec isn't too far. I REALLY want to try and schedule the trip so I can see Zykov live and in person and not on ****** quality streams online.

Old
09-02-2013, 09:58 PM
David Strorm
@ControlPuck

Quote:
There's a possibility of me going up to Ottawa to visit a friend. If I can, Quebec isn't too far. I REALLY want to try and schedule the trip so I can see Zykov live and in person and not on ****** quality streams online.
Baie Comeau is a great team. Q contender. Great team to watch.

Old
09-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Dowd and Gravel named Co-Captains for SCSU

Old
09-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
I agree he's a long shot to make the club, but the kid has good size and hockey sense. He played in the WHL for a season when he was 18 which washed out his NCAA road. I don't think he liked the WHL travel so dropped down to the AJHL where he was lights-out last year; team captain, league scoring leader, league MVP, Royal Bank MVP, gold medal, hat-trick and game MVP in the finals and Canadian Junior 'A' player of the year.

A 'under the radar' kind of prospect who could pan out. I hope he shows-up on campus to play for us though this year. The CIS isn't the end of the road for everyone - there is the rare case of a player going to the show, a few more to the AHL, a lot to the ECHL and a few to Europe.

Closed Thread