HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Loosie

vCash: 500
Kubalik was traded to Kitchener

Old
01-09-2014, 02:04 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

So Kubalik will probably get more playing time going on a rebuilding team. Macdermid going to a contender. Good opportunities for both.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 539
Brodzinski (2G), Dowd (1G, 1A) and Gravel (2A) all with 2 point nights in SCSU's 6-3 win over DU.

Old
01-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Vino

Alex Roach has been pretty hot lately. Last seven games 2+9= 11 , 7 PIM, +10.

Old
01-11-2014, 05:25 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Michael Mersch with the hattrick (one EN).

He isnt even playing on the 1st line.

Old
01-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Rabid Husky

Another goal for "The Polish Rifle" Brodzinski. His 11 goals place him 3rd in the league. Dowd is tied for 4th with 10.

Old
01-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Another goal for "The Polish Rifle" Brodzinski. His 11 goals place him 3rd in the league. Dowd is tied for 4th with 10.
It seems to me both are tied for 25th and 35th respectively (goals).

Mersch 4th.

Old
01-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Rabid Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
It seems to me both are tied for 25th and 35th respectively (goals).

Mersch 4th.
In the NCAA yes, I'm talking about the league (conference if you will), the NCHC.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Could it be a translation issue? Not to discredit Damassk, but maybe it's supposed to mean "restructure" or renegotiate contract termination?
I'm late to the party, but that would appear to be the case from the way I'm reading it. He's on a pretty small contract right now but is having a great year so I'd think it'd be a restructure of his current contract and his agent using NA as a threat for them to pay him big money next year.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
I'm late to the party, but that would appear to be the case from the way I'm reading it. He's on a pretty small contract right now but is having a great year so I'd think it'd be a restructure of his current contract and his agent using NA as a threat for them to pay him big money next year.
Maybe but Porkins absolutely 100% desire is to play in the NHL and for the Kings when he does. He is a very easy kid to talk to and anyone who does will tell you that he almost can't stop himself from talking about Los Angeles and how badly he wants to live there and play for the Kings.

One of the benefits of our winning the cup is our prospects including those who way out there all want to get the chance to play for us. More than simply because we drafted them.

If there is a way for Porkins to come over then I believe he will.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Fat Elvis

Question for those that follow the college players closely.

It looks like Mersch, Dowd both seniors are having strong seasons. Lowry is having a strong junior season. Do you see any of these three having an impact at the NHL level? They have the size for decent power forwards, though I'm not sure of their style of play. Looks like all can score. Just curious if they have games that can project for Kings fans in the future. All would add size to Manchester, but I have no idea about their skating or hockey IQ.

Old
01-15-2014, 05:36 PM
palffytofrovlov

ESPN NHL insider Corey Pronman did his top 50 prospects at the midpoint of the season, has Prokhorkin at #39, and then outside his top 50 honorable mention has Zykov and Fasching...shows our depth ....

Old
01-15-2014, 06:09 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

It looks like Mersch, Dowd both seniors are having strong seasons. Lowry is having a strong junior season. Do you see any of these three having an impact at the NHL level? They have the size for decent power forwards, though I'm not sure of their style of play. Looks like all can score. Just curious if they have games that can project for Kings fans in the future. All would add size to Manchester, but I have no idea about their skating or hockey IQ.
Dowd will likely be a career minor league player/go to Europe. Mersch I can see having an NHL career but I'm not as high on him as some. Lowry I'm not a fan of at all.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Lead Role in a Cage

Prokhorkin with another goal and assist in a 4-1 win. He now has 18+16 in 45 games. 16 of his goals are even strength.

He has taken the most faceoffs of any player on the team (679) but has a lousy 42,4%. Needs work apparently. Then again, I don't know if the Kings sees him as a future winger or center.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:35 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Role in a Cage View Post
Prokhorkin with another goal and assist in a 4-1 win. He now has 18+16 in 45 games. 16 of his goals are even strength.

He has taken the most faceoffs of any player on the team (679) but has a lousy 42,4%. Needs work apparently. Then again, I don't know if the Kings sees him as a future winger or center.
Isn't he viewed as a LW? Anyways, Phokhorkin has had a fantastic year

Old
01-17-2014, 02:55 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I'd assume the wing for LA. We are pretty good down the middle for a while with Kopi and Richards (despite the Richards bash fest right now). We are weaker on the wings.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:12 PM
igotnothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

I'm a grad student at Miami U and was able to watch Mersch play a few months ago. Here's what I saw:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotnothing View Post
Mersch has good size for college, he's listed at 6'1" and that looked about right. It seems like a lot of college guys tend to be smaller. He does his best to use his size to protect the puck, but had limited success tonight. He plays a simple, go to the net type of game on offense. Used on the PK and PP.

I think his skating is holding him back a bit. Speed is adequate, but he has an slow, ugly stride and tripods a bit in when coasting toward the net. Not a "my stick is open" tripod, but an "I'm using my stick as support" tripod. Miami is built as a small, speedy team and he looked like he wasn't always able to keep up. His stickwork looked like it could use some improvement as well, a couple of times Miami players got under his stick and forced a turnover.
and the next night:

Quote:
My update on Michael Mersch of Wisconsin. Badgers won 3-2, Mersch had the game-tying 2nd goal for Wisc.

I'm still not sold on his hands or feet, but Mersch had a better showing tonight. His positioning was better and seemed more confident skating. His goal was just working to get to the right area and putting in a rebound from a broken play. However, he made few bad passes and still lost the puck by letting sticks under his. The coach trusts him, he was on the ice in the last minute protecting a one goal lead.

He'll never be a playmaker or a sniper, but physicality and tenacity are his strong points. He was involved in some light after the whistle stuff. The closest comparison on the current Kings team would be Da-wight King. At this point I'm not sure how far he'll make it. He might do well on a team with structure like the Kings.
The comparison to Dwight King was before King started tearing it up with Kopi and Carter. I think Mersch needs the right system to really be successful.

Old
01-17-2014, 06:27 PM
HookKing

Quote:
I'm a grad student at Miami U and was able to watch Mersch play a few months ago. Here's what I saw:

and the next night:

The comparison to Dwight King was before King started tearing it up with Kopi and Carter. I think Mersch needs the right system to really be successful.
I have to say the one game I saw him play it did not look to me like he had NHL level talent.

Old
01-17-2014, 10:06 PM
igotnothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
I have to say the one game I saw him play it did not look to me like he had NHL level talent.
I'm agree with you. I was trying to put a positive spin on him, but the two games I've seen makes him seem like a long shot.

Old
01-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Rabid Husky

Brodz with an assist, Gravel with an assist and Dowd with a goal and assist. Those were points 99 & 100 as a Husky for Dowd.

Old
01-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
I'm agree with you. I was trying to put a positive spin on him, but the two games I've seen makes him seem like a long shot.
Yes, Mersch seems like a longshot, with LW prospects like Prokhorkin,
Pearson, Zykok and Deslauriers ahead of him. Andreoff can play LW as well.

Old
01-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Whiskeypete

i agree 100% with the assessment of Mersch. the last game i watched (two weeks ago) he was invisible. which i mentioned earlier in here.

his skating is the first thing he needs to keep working on. i know a few years back he worked with the figure skating director (former US olympian). iirc it was two summer ago between his frosh - sophmore seasons at UW. he needs to keep working on this moving forward.

i think very high end projection (if he suddenly makes HUGE progress) is in the #2LW slot. realistically though i see him as a #4 and the true upside as a #3LW

it he makes it though will depend on him improving his skating and stick work. he will also need to raise his compete level and bring it every game. the game i watched recently, his compete level wasn't there.

he will be counted on the same way as King Kong is today, if he cant make those strides forward he won't make it.

Old
01-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Vino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Another goal for "The Polish Rifle" Brodzinski. His 11 goals place him 3rd in the league.
What kind of player Brodzinski really is? Stats and boxscores say that he is left shooting RW and shooter more than playmaker. And his +/- is good.

I presume that you have seen him in live several times. What you think about him? Skating, hockey sense, defensive play, boardwork, physical play, stickhandling, consistency, determination, pro potential, etc.

He is listed 6-1 / 200, is he really that big?

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/pla...odzinski/28087

Old
01-24-2014, 01:19 AM
Rabid Husky

Yes he is that big. His best assest is his shot, it's a bomb and his release is incredibly quick. He really can shoot from anywhere and with us is encouraged to do so. He is decent defensively which is something he learned in juniors and he did a good job with it. He's not a fast skater, but not slow either and he has improved his quickness this year. Pro potential i'd say at the very least he is a high end AHL scorer but if left to develop can be a 2nd or 3rd line winger.
Article on him this week as the Huskies play the Gophers who have his brother as a Dman.
http://www.sctimes.com/article/20140...has-many-paths

Old
01-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Rabid Husky

For anyone who gets it, he will be on FCS Pacific in that game tonight at 5.

Closed Thread