HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 12:06 AM
McSorley 33

vCash: 500
How's Mersch coming along for those able to watch; It seems he's coming along nicely and looking to be a solid draft pick.

Roach looks to be having a great year with another goal tonight. I'm not sure what to make of his progress. He is a physical shutdown type guy and now he's putting up points too. Are the numbers a product of Roach's game or a benefit from a high scoring team rubbing off on him?

Old
01-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Krishna

How is Gravel doing?

Is he expected to make the NHL between now and 2014-15?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:09 AM
damacles1156

Kevin is hard to get a read on, Some games he is shutdown master. Others eh not so much.

Forbort has been very impressive so far this year in the WCHA

Kings have quite a few scorers in college hockey.

Shore,Dowd,Mersch,

Old
01-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Tadite

Could we get a quick update on Forbort? Goodness knows he's a few years away (at best) but what's his status on the ice?

Old
01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
as15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Could we get a quick update on Forbort? Goodness knows he's a few years away (at best) but what's his status on the ice?
Besides this past weekend, he has had a very good season. Very solid defensively, but has been involved much more on the offensive side of the puck. In past years he has seemed very tentative to rush the puck, now he does it well consistently. It is still up in the air whether he will return to UND for his senior year or not, if I had to guess, he will return and probably be the captain, but it is just a guess. I have heard nothing of what his plans are either way.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Tadite

Thanks for the update on Forbort. Looks like he's going to have to make a tough decision this off-season. Lots of spots just opened up down in Manchester....

Old
01-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Firenze
Robynho

Kings' prospects - 25/01/2012:

CHL:
Nick Ebert(OHL) - 0P (-1)
Tomas Hyka(QMJHL) - 1A (0)
Colin Miller(OHL) - 0P (+1)
Michael Schumacher(OHL) - 0P (0)

WCHA/USHL:
Michael Mersch(WCHA) - 2G 1A (+2)
Paul LaDue(USHL) - 1G (-1)
Kevin Gravel(WCHA) - 1A (+2)
Nic Dowd(WCHA) - 1A (+2)
Derek Forbort(WCHA) - 0P (0)

Last edited by Firenze: 01-26-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKingsBR View Post
Kings' prospects - 25/01/2012:

CHL:
Nick Ebert(OHL) - 0P (-1)
Colin Miller(OHL) - 0P (+1)
Michael Schumacher(OHL) - 0P (0)

WCHA/USHL:
Michael Mersch(WCHA) - 2G 1A (+2)
Paul LaDue(USHL) - 1G (-1)
Kevin Gravel(WCHA) - 1A (+2)
Nic Dowd(WCHA) - 1A (+2)
Derek Forbort(WCHA) - 0P (0)
Goals department, odd
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...005802013.html

Old
01-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Firenze
Robynho

unfortunately yesterday he couldnt score

Kings' prospects - 26/01/2012:

CHL:
Colin Miller(OHL) - 1A (+1)
Michael Schumacher(OHL) - 2G 1A (0)

WCHA/USHL:
Michael Mersch(WCHA) - 0P (0)
Paul LaDue(USHL) - 1A (0)
Kevin Gravel(WCHA) - 0P (-1)
Nic Dowd(WCHA) - 0P (-2)
Derek Forbort(WCHA) - 0P (+1)

Old
01-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Firenze
Robynho

Kings' prospects - 27/01/2012:

CHL:
Nick Ebert(OHL) - 1G 2A (-3)
Alex Roach(WHL) - 0P (+3)
Chistopher Gibson(QMJHL) - Sv%0.886, 39 Svs

WCHA/USHL:
Paul LaDue(USHL) - 1A (+2)

Old
01-28-2013, 07:54 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have an update on Forbort and Dowd.

I am In Grand Forks ND and will be staying in the area through the weekend. I was able to watch UND vs STC where Derek Forbort faced off against Nik Dowd. I will be in town to watch UND v Wis this weekend too.

It has been a little while I since I was able to watch DF play in person and I am duly impressed with how much further his development has come along since the last time I had watched. He is skating very well in fact, he is almost skating at an NHL level and at times looks like he might be close to capable of skating with the best.

His positional play has come a long way but he still at times relies a little too much on his considerable reach rather than on putting himself in the perfect position to make the play. That said, he has also come a long way in so far as growing into his big body and his smarts are actually very good.

In my experience big bodied kids take longer to develop. No surprise there but the reasons why usually due to several different factors or so most pundits will tell you. In Derek's case his additional time in development is all about learning how and when to rely on his size, reach and skating to do what he is currently using his reach and quickness to cover.

By using his reach as often as he does he isn't allowing himself the ability to read play and position himself more effectively and as such is slowing the amount of time it will take for him to bring his game up to the next level.

He is clearly significantly better at his positional play this year then he was last year and he has also come a long way in how quickly and accurately reads a developing play too but he will need to be more choosy as to when he slows down and sticks his stick out to make the risky play rather than simply skating into position and using other aspects of his size to fill in for him.

He does step up into O position really well and even more than I thought he would be able to at the apex of his development so it is safe to say that he has impressed me so far. He is also playing allot more physically than he had last season (earlier this season too).

I haven't had a chance to talk with DF yet (likely tomorrow) but have talked to one of the scouts from the Stl Blues who was in attendance (draft scouting) who has seen several UND games this season who tells me that he believes that DF could be looking to move up after the end of this season (or that he believes that DF should). He had allot to say about how rapidly DF is developing and how he is a player who the Blues would covet given the chance.

I have also heard that DF plans on completing his degree before he leaves school so I will hold my opinion until I get a chance to talk with him myself. If he did decide to make the jump I could see him doing pretty well for MCH this and to start next season before getting his call ups. He is looking to be a solid two way defender who is less of a PMD than a stay at home guy but no so much of a stay at home guy that you would call him one.

I true hybrid type D and that is a big deal for us. Two seasons from how we could be looking at a great young D man. I will post again after this weekend with more of if I catch up with him before then.

Will Dowd make it at the NHL? That is my question too. He has super great soft hands and really has started driving the net and playing with allot more of an edge than he has the past two seasons. He can skate North to South really well and is good in his lane but is also starting to develop an East West game too. He will make a nice check now and then but is more of a shifty type of player than a gifted grinder.

He has an NHL level wrister but needs work on his accuracy. I like his game but I have been partial to him for a little bit now. He is two years away imo but looks pretty good. Easily a solid AHLer but looks like he has some upside beyond that too. I have only seen him 3 times this season (twice in person) so it will take time before I feel more comfortable really commenting on him but I like his game so far and think that he is slowly moving forward in his development.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:32 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Thanks as always for your insights!

Old
01-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Vino

I also thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
He is also playing allot more physically than he had last season (earlier this season too).
That's really, really good to hear.

Quote:
If he did decide to make the jump I could see him doing pretty well for MCH this and to start next season before getting his call ups.
Alex Roach is already signed and I presume that he will play next year in Manchester. If Kings sign Colin Miller, he also will play in Manchester, right? If they also sign Forbort, then Monarchs will have three rookie d-man. Is that too much?

edit.

And how about Kevin Gravel?

Last edited by Vino: 01-29-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Whiskeypete

ive watched some UND games this season and compared to the past few years, Forbort is light years ahead now. comparing this season to last is night and day imo. someplace - somewhere DF went through a transformation. as TG noted it is likely tied to 'growing into his body'.

years past his gap coverage i thought was poor, he played off his man to far and relied on his reach. he plays a tighter gap now, so the opponent has less time. they are most likely also dwarfed by his size and reach.

his foot speed, reads and transitions in the past used to bother me also. he got caught flat footed many times while relying on his reach. this could be out of the defensive corner in a cycle situation, or even up ice in transition. to many times i saw him like he was stuck in quicksand. as he has matured 'my guess' is he has improved strength wise and he feels more comfortable in tight, as a result he will play tighter on his man.

my take on what i've seen so far.....

comparisons? to early to say i think because he seems to be developing very quickly and may evolve in any direction now

Old
01-29-2013, 04:44 PM
palffytofrovlov

Stats updates - date: 29th January

QMJHL
Tomas Hyka 38GP 14G 22A 36Pts 16PIM +3

Chris Gibson 29GP 15-11-1 2.79 GAA .910 Save% 3 Shut Outs

OHL
Nick Ebert 48GP 8G 24A 32Pts 40PIM -21
Schumacher 46GP 13G 24A 37Pts 38PIM -6
Collin Miller 36GP 12G 21A 33Pts 60PIM +9
Kurtis MacDermid 45GP 1G 4A5Pts 83PIM +6

WHL
Roach 47GP 11G 26A 37Pts 61PIM +37

NCAA
Shore 25GP 10G 15A 25Pts 26PIM
Lowry 18GP 7G 6A 13Pts 24PIM
Forbort 26GP 4G 8A 12Pts 10PIM
Gravel 22GP 1G 5A 6Pts 21PIM
Mersch 24GP 15G 6A 21Pts 6PIM
Dowd 26GP 11G 16A 27Pts 22PIM

LaDue 38GP 10G 22A 32Pts 12PIM +20

Old
01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
I have an update on Forbort and Dowd.

I am In Grand Forks ND and will be staying in the area through the weekend. I was able to watch UND vs STC where Derek Forbort faced off against Nik Dowd. I will be in town to watch UND v Wis this weekend too.

It has been a little while I since I was able to watch DF play in person and I am duly impressed with how much further his development has come along since the last time I had watched. He is skating very well in fact, he is almost skating at an NHL level and at times looks like he might be close to capable of skating with the best.
Thank you for this! Could Forbort develop into a long-term partner for Drew Doughty?

Old
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Thank you for this! Could Forbort develop into a long-term partner for Drew Doughty?
It will take a few years but that is pretty much exactly where I could see him playing. Smart enough to know when to step in but more ideally suited to strong defencive play.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
I also thank you.

That's really, really good to hear.

Alex Roach is already signed and I presume that he will play next year in Manchester. If Kings sign Colin Miller, he also will play in Manchester, right? If they also sign Forbort, then Monarchs will have three rookie d-man. Is that too much?

edit.

And how about Kevin Gravel?

Sorry, I thought I had written up on Gravel. In short he just keeps getting better. He is a solid positional D man who does everything except score. He is a good skater (still) and plays with a quiet confidence. His reads keep on improving and his skating is very good. He will play in the NHL imo, when and were will be the question.

I am hoping he remains with us and becomes a 2/3 pairing guy. He will spend a year on the farm getting a couple of call ups and then either be with the team or dealt. I hope he is kept as he has been a favorite of mine since his draft. Good player and a good guy too.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:52 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

2 more goals from Roach last night.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:22 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

I'm having a hard time figuring out which is the crazier stat, that Ebert has 32 points in 48 games or that he is a freaking -21

Old
01-31-2013, 04:42 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I read Ebert has zero hockeysense and is defensively not very good. He's playing top line minutes on a bad team, so its logical that will affect his +/-. Yet 'every' time when I watch the scoresheet he's a minus. He only seem to score points on the PP. I'm a bit lazy right now, but I'm curious how many ES points he has.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:00 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I read Ebert has zero hockeysense and is defensively not very good. He's playing top line minutes on a bad team, so its logical that will affect his +/-. Yet 'every' time when I watch the scoresheet he's a minus. He only seem to score points on the PP. I'm a bit lazy right now, but I'm curious how many ES points he has.
16 of his 32 points are on the PP (1g 15a,) so have of those 32 are even strength points. Part of the problem with Ebert is he is on a really bad team and hasn't had a consistent partner for most of the year. There has been a huge turnover in Windsor with new faces coming in, and a good number of rookies. To put it into perspective their leading scorer has 51 points and is a -11

Old
01-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Well thanks, that's a surprise to me.

I do believe he also has 5 empty net points.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
If they also sign Forbort, then Monarchs will have three rookie d-man. Is that too much?

The Monarchs lost Hickey and Muzzin this season and lost Martinez and Voynoz last season.

Is three rookie d-men too much? No.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

When is Forbort eligible to start playing for Manchester? Or is he eligible now?

Closed Thread