HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 12:51 PM
stickhandle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
But why should that be a qualification for being selected? To me, he should have a lot more than 11 points playing with those guys. Many other players should have been chosen instead...IMHO.
watch him play you will get your answer, he's on that line for a reason

Old
10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
Don't tell aspiring 16-17 year olds JR B is like pick up hockey...come watch a couple of games
You think I am just assuming..? I have watched over 100 Jr.B games in the last 5 years. Yes there are some games that are competitive but almost anytime the bottom 10 teams in the league play it is like a pick-up game.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:42 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
You think I am just assuming..? I have watched over 100 Jr.B games in the last 5 years. Yes there are some games that are competitive but almost anytime the bottom 10 teams in the league play it is like a pick-up game.
I would disagree with that also. There are also many players in JRB that could step into the CCHL and play with little problem.

Some have reasons to only play JRB.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhandle View Post
watch him play you will get your answer, he's on that line for a reason
I like him, he certainly has made the most of his situation and I appreiate his dozen points; But even I would suggest there are more worthy recipients within our league including those whom attended the summer camp and/or whom have had excellent starts to the season.

I am sure many of us can suggest worthy players left off the invite - and identify others asked due to political-like reasons.

Truth be told - between the maritimes and OJHL you will likely see only two or three F's from the CCHL anyway. Two will likely be from SK's squad. It's too bad but that's hockey.

Johnston should be happy with the chance as should Dalen and every other invite.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbers View Post
I like him, he certainly has made the most of his situation and I appreiate his dozen points; But even I would suggest there are more worthy recipients within our league including those whom attended the summer camp and/or whom have had excellent starts to the season.

I am sure many of us can suggest worthy players left off the invite - and identify others asked due to political-like reasons.

Truth be told - between the maritimes and OJHL you will likely see only two or three F's from the CCHL anyway. Two will likely be from SK's squad. It's too bad but that's hockey.

Johnston should be happy with the chance as should Dalen and every other invite.
Derian Plouffe.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Derian Plouffe.
Bouincontri (two less points than Plouffe but three less games played and he was HM Player of month)

L. Edwards (league player of week for week one, HM player of month of month, pt per game pace)

Etc etc....lots of good choices.

Just remember all those overlooked. PG and Nepean had nothing to do with these selections! Take it out on SK and Pemby and not us!

As I stated earlier it wouldn't matter anyway. CCHL will get one or two D tops and perhaps three F's if we're lucky. SK will look after his own as will the OJHL. Given tourney is in Yarmouth there will be representatives from the Maritimes this year as well. Limited number of '93 spots and Hrehoriak will get one.

We'll get to see ALL these guys in one venue over Christmas in Wellington anyway. They can send a message then if they so choose.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Grabbers

On another note....CP at Nepean tonight.

Hedges 13pts in last five games while Norris and Johnston have 6 over that same period. Looking for a big win tonight and to send a message. Prediction....CP will get penalties, Nepean will get goaltending, Hedges will have a multiple point night and Nepean will win by at least three goals.

Go Raiders Go!!

Old
10-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Bouincontri (two less points than Plouffe but three less games played and he was HM Player of month)
Bouincontri injured and not available

Old
10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
everett331

Pembroke LumberKings‏@PLKingsCCHL

Lumber Kings trade Defenseman JJ Hart to Kanata for Defenseman Carl-Philippe Ouimet. Thanks to JJ for his effort and welcome Carl.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
CoasttoCoast

You are wise oh great one........Nepean up by 3, Zawad great first period, Nep key powerplay goals

Old
10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
You are wise oh great one........Nepean up by 3, Zawad great first period, Nep key powerplay goals
Hedges a goal and an assist to start the second. Multipoint night achieved.

CP gave us a PP goal in the first (weak offensive zone hook but we'll take it) plus four other PP's including two stick infractions and one that was four minutes long. One stupid one on Norris with 3 minutes left which essentially handed us the game.

Final score was 6-3 no gimme at the end. Three goal win.

Z was great in net including an excellent save in the third off Edwards with the glove as he drove across the front of the net and tried to shovel home a rebound.

......I should buy a lotto max ticket as indeed I nailed the prediction tonight.

Stop reading now if you don't want my analysis: I thought our speed gave CP fits all night on our larger ice surface and it appeared that CP was out of position several times and we made them pay. Overall an entertaining game with few whistles and not much physicality. Something to build on I suppose. CP's little goalie spends alot of time on his knees and I am sure that 6 goals against is not what JC had in mind from this import tender. Our experience and a few bounces our way didn't hurt the cause either.

Go RAIDERS Go!!!

Old
10-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Bouincontri injured and not available
Ok....but he is one of many examples including at least one other from Nepean that has more points than their teammate whom is attending - and whom I would have chosen first.

I see a Colt whom could have been asked and several others throughout the league who are worthy.

But again - it doesn't matter as noted in my previous post. It is what it is and although it's nice to be asked I suppose... the coaches look after their own. Why else would a half dozen kids from Georgetown of the OJHL get asked?! just saying (Newmarket is the top club along with Trention in the East divison in that loop).

Good luck to all and my advice is to just have fun as you'll (the invitees) will be back with your club team soon enough.

Go RAIDERS Go!!!

Old
10-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
I would disagree with that also. There are also many players in JRB that could step into the CCHL and play with little problem.

Some have reasons to only play JRB.
I agree with you and know that....a Jr.B all star team would more than likely make the playoffs in the CCHL (although with some 21 year olds).

Yea there are players that can play in the league the problem is that with a lot of the older players in the EOJHL is the effort and compete level is not there every night.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Ok....but he is one of many examples including at least one other from Nepean that has more points than their teammate whom is attending - and whom I would have chosen first.

I see a Colt whom could have been asked and several others throughout the league who are worthy.

But again - it doesn't matter as noted in my previous post. It is what it is and although it's nice to be asked I suppose... the coaches look after their own. Why else would a half dozen kids from Georgetown of the OJHL get asked?! just saying (Newmarket is the top club along with Trention in the East divison in that loop).
For TCE birth year comes into play when selecting the team. There are no 20 year olds permitted and there is also a limit on 19 year olds (something like a max of 4 can make team). Thus the tryouts get skewed towards 18 year olds and younger.Most top teams have a lot of 19 and 20 year olds.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:45 AM
hockieguy

Tugnutt

With all due respect to Ron Tugnutt, I see signing his son as their goalie as a huge mistake...... Watched the game in Ottawa, and he let in a number of really, really, really soft goals. AND, there was no way that OJS had 60 shots. Maybe, 40 at most. Maybe it was just nerves, but I think not....... OJS scored goals from Kemptville's goal line.... 3 that I can think of.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
I agree with you and know that....a Jr.B all star team would more than likely make the playoffs in the CCHL (although with some 21 year olds).

Yea there are players that can play in the league the problem is that with a lot of the older players in the EOJHL is the effort and compete level is not there every night.
If the all-star team had to use CCHL rules (ie no 21 year olds and max seven 20 year olds) I think it would be at or near the bottom of the league.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
hurricane11

An EOJHL all star team of 16-20 yr olds would definitely make the playoffs in the CCHL. A number of players that are more than good enough to play in the CCHL some kids have other commitments and some don't get the breaks.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
oldnucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
An EOJHL all star team of 16-20 yr olds would definitely make the playoffs in the CCHL. A number of players that are more than good enough to play in the CCHL some kids have other commitments and some don't get the breaks.
You could say that about any level though.. a cchl all star team could do fine in the ohl

Old
10-25-2012, 03:25 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnucks View Post
You could say that about any level though.. a cchl all star team could do fine in the ohl
Which reminds me of a thought I had last year. When I was watching Nepean play the Woodstock Slammers in the gold medal game of the Fred Page Cup last year it occured to me that the top 10 tier two junir A teams in Canada were probably as good as the weakest 10 teams in Major Junior A. What do you guys think?

Old
10-25-2012, 04:03 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
Which reminds me of a thought I had last year. When I was watching Nepean play the Woodstock Slammers in the gold medal game of the Fred Page Cup last year it occured to me that the top 10 tier two junir A teams in Canada were probably as good as the weakest 10 teams in Major Junior A. What do you guys think?
IMHO, the Erie Otters would have killed Nepean last year. I really think the jump to Major Junior is just too big.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Jrfever

Quote:
IMHO, the Erie Otters would have killed Nepean last year. I really think the jump to Major Junior is just too big.
I agree. I heard the late E.J. McGuire say that the players on the top two lines of a good Jr. A team could play major Jr. It's a generalization, but fairly accurate. I don't think the best Jr A could compete with a weak major Jr A team on a consistent basis.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrfever View Post
I agree. I heard the late E.J. McGuire say that the players on the top two lines of a good Jr. A team could play major Jr. It's a generalization, but fairly accurate. I don't think the best Jr A could compete with a weak major Jr A team on a consistent basis.
I wouldnt say the top 2 lines on every team, but the top 2 lines on the top teams could easily play in major junior.
If you want to look at Nepean last year. Hutton, Johnson, Weegar could all play major junior, along with hedges, norris, mclean. Basically every player that goes Div.1 can play and maybe a few that dont. Then add in all the players that do go from the CCHL to major junior

Old
10-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Off the Boards

Cornwall blows another lead and loses 4 - 2 at home vs Smith Falls. The first period the Colts outshoot the Bears 15 - 1 scoring 2 goals and totally dominated the Bears. The Smith Falls defence made simple mistakes & lots of giveaways. The 2 period was the exact opposite, the Bears started taking control, hitting hard dumping the puck then outworking us in our own end and tightening their "d". The third was Smith Falls dominating Cornwall and the Colts running around trying everything and anything to play cath up but to no avail. Mitch Zion could have put the game away with his breakaway but Patrick Martin (G - SMF) made one of his very good saves and keeps the Colts from making it 3 - 0.

Akeson was ok at best, Maniccia was good but not dominating, Martin was excellent, Crete & Carroll (2 goals) where very very good. The Bears #6 Ryan McCaughan (6'1.5, 203lbs '94) made some very big hits and played steady defence. Costello hit and got hit worked hard. Overall was expecting more from the Bears.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:44 AM
wrister82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockieguy View Post
With all due respect to Ron Tugnutt, I see signing his son as their goalie as a huge mistake...... Watched the game in Ottawa, and he let in a number of really, really, really soft goals. AND, there was no way that OJS had 60 shots. Maybe, 40 at most. Maybe it was just nerves, but I think not....... OJS scored goals from Kemptville's goal line.... 3 that I can think of.
Unfortunatley one would have to think that this might just blow up in someones face. But its only one game!

Old
10-26-2012, 03:14 PM
ORRT

[QUOTE=Off the Boards;55291693]Cornwall blows another lead and loses 4 - 2 at home vs Smith Falls. The first period the Colts outshoot the Bears 15 - 1 scoring 2 goals and totally dominated the Bears. TQUOTE]

What will happen sunday against Gloucester Rangers? Also for entertainment a minor aa team will play a mini scrimmage..priceless.

Last edited by ORRT: 10-26-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Closed Thread