HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Ottawa Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
How is Kenny Neil not on the roster? Seems odd. He should have made it over Hodgson, IMO.
Probably a limit of the # of 1992 birth years....

Old
12-03-2012, 02:04 PM
MacM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Robinson looks a lot stronger than Yzermam IMO.
Agree. Choice of Monroe in place of Millen puzzles me. Maybe to free up a spot for a 20 year old in front, assuming 6 is the max number.

No Grady on bench for Robinson.
Zion a bit of a surprise too. Not worthy of All Star selection when I have seen him this season.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacM View Post
Agree. Choice of Monroe in place of Millen puzzles me. Maybe to free up a spot for a 20 year old in front, assuming 6 is the max number.

Zion a bit of a surprise too. Not worthy of All Star selection when I have seen him this season.
1 Zawadzki Matt G 25-*‐Nov-*‐92 6' 175 L Nepean 30 Munro Andy G 27-*‐Jan-*‐94 6'1" 182 L Pembroke 2 Collins Ryan LW 23-*‐Sep-*‐93 6'1" 203 L Ottawa 3 Crocock Michael LD 25-*‐May-*‐94 5'11" 178 L Pembroke 4 Werthner Owen LD 14-*‐Apr-*‐92 6' 185 L Ottawa 5 Watson Curtis RD 29-*‐Jan-*‐92 6'1" 195 L Kanata 6 Harper Keegan RD 14-*‐Feb-*‐93 5'11" 187 L Pembroke 7 Landry Paul RD 28-*‐Mar-*‐92 6'2" 200 R Ottawa 8 Audi Emilio RW 14-*‐Feb-*‐93 5'9" 190 R Pembroke 9 Robillard Ben RW 3-*‐Sep-*‐93 5'11" 193 R Ottawa 10 Hedges Dalen C 30-*‐Mar-*‐94 5'7" 166 L Nepean 11 Plouffe Derian C 15-*‐Jan-*‐95 5'10" 168 L Kanata 14 Clitsome Eric C 24-*‐Feb-*‐93 5'11" 212 L Cumberland 15 Hodgson Keenan LW 21-*‐Apr-*‐93 5'10" 180 R Nepean 18 Walsh Fabian LW 3-*‐Mar-*‐92 5'8" 178 L Kanata 19 Boivin Alexandre C 1-*‐Nov-*‐94 5'11" 169 L Gloucester 20 Dalpe Ben LW 08-*‐Mar-*‐94 5'9" 167 L Pembroke 21 Brown Derek LD 12-*‐Jan-*‐92 6' 173 L Ottawa 23 Norris Brent RW 18-*‐Jun-*‐93 5'9" 185 R Nepean 25 Gaudet Tyler RW 4-*‐Apr-*‐93 6'2" 195 L Pembroke

5 Skaters from Pembroke + a goalie & 5 from Ottawa- No way do I pick this team. Say what you will about Keefe leaving, but he took care of his kids before he left.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
67sfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers21 View Post
From SOO GREYHOUNDS WEBSITE!

Soo Greyhounds General Manager Kyle Dubas announced early Monday morning that Mike Stapleton was relieved of his coaching duties and SHELDON KEEFE has been named the team’s new Head Coach. He becomes the 18th different Head Coach in Greyhounds team history

Wow....
As a kings fan I'm sad to see Sheldon go. That said, I'm not at all surprised. I've had many discussions at Kings games with other fans and the consensus was most were surprised he hadn't already made the move up to the OHL.

He's won everything there is to win at the Jr A level so the only logical move for him was up.

I wish Sheldon nothing but the best and hope he is successful at the next level.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Grabbers

Quote:

Zion ahead of other '92's from the Robinson Division (Bussey or Carroll for two???)

No Anderson on defence?

No Ferriera up front?

Teams are allowed six 92's and the Robinson coaches/league elected to go with two veteran goalies.

I believe Munroe over Millen allowed the Yzerman Division to take five '92 skaters. Not a bad move - - but Neil for sure should have been selected!

Good luck to all!

Old
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
oldnucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
1 Zawadzki Matt G 25-*‐Nov-*‐92 6' 175 L Nepean 30 Munro Andy G 27-*‐Jan-*‐94 6'1" 182 L Pembroke 2 Collins Ryan LW 23-*‐Sep-*‐93 6'1" 203 L Ottawa 3 Crocock Michael LD 25-*‐May-*‐94 5'11" 178 L Pembroke 4 Werthner Owen LD 14-*‐Apr-*‐92 6' 185 L Ottawa 5 Watson Curtis RD 29-*‐Jan-*‐92 6'1" 195 L Kanata 6 Harper Keegan RD 14-*‐Feb-*‐93 5'11" 187 L Pembroke 7 Landry Paul RD 28-*‐Mar-*‐92 6'2" 200 R Ottawa 8 Audi Emilio RW 14-*‐Feb-*‐93 5'9" 190 R Pembroke 9 Robillard Ben RW 3-*‐Sep-*‐93 5'11" 193 R Ottawa 10 Hedges Dalen C 30-*‐Mar-*‐94 5'7" 166 L Nepean 11 Plouffe Derian C 15-*‐Jan-*‐95 5'10" 168 L Kanata 14 Clitsome Eric C 24-*‐Feb-*‐93 5'11" 212 L Cumberland 15 Hodgson Keenan LW 21-*‐Apr-*‐93 5'10" 180 R Nepean 18 Walsh Fabian LW 3-*‐Mar-*‐92 5'8" 178 L Kanata 19 Boivin Alexandre C 1-*‐Nov-*‐94 5'11" 169 L Gloucester 20 Dalpe Ben LW 08-*‐Mar-*‐94 5'9" 167 L Pembroke 21 Brown Derek LD 12-*‐Jan-*‐92 6' 173 L Ottawa 23 Norris Brent RW 18-*‐Jun-*‐93 5'9" 185 R Nepean 25 Gaudet Tyler RW 4-*‐Apr-*‐93 6'2" 195 L Pembroke

5 Skaters from Pembroke + a goalie & 5 from Ottawa- No way do I pick this team. Say what you will about Keefe leaving, but he took care of his kids before he left.
I agree no way do i pick the same team, ottawa should not have been granted so many payers and same with pembroke. I beleive a couple people said no to going which is why you dont see some names like neil or llorca on the team but i stil disagree with many picks, for atleast the yzerman div.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbers View Post
Zion ahead of other '92's from the Robinson Division (Bussey or Carroll for two???)

No Anderson on defence?

No Ferriera up front?

Teams are allowed six 92's and the Robinson coaches/league elected to go with two veteran goalies.

I believe Munroe over Millen allowed the Yzerman Division to take five '92 skaters. Not a bad move - - but Neil for sure should have been selected!

Good luck to all!
agree with anderson.

he must have said no

Old
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
agree with anderson.

he must have said no
Likely a few whom are nursing injuries and/or have plans over the holiday period (Llorca, Neill, and Anderson are a few that come to mind that must have passed on the opportunity).

Old
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnucks View Post
I agree no way do i pick the same team, ottawa should not have been granted so many payers and same with pembroke. I beleive a couple people said no to going which is why you dont see some names like neil or llorca on the team but i stil disagree with many picks, for atleast the yzerman div.
I remember thinking about the date change to the Christmas break....and wondering how some of the billeted kids, away from home, may not want to give up there chance to go home for the Holidays, Neil to Newfoundland and lorica to France, it makes sense they would turn it down.
If this is the case, they may want to re-think the date change, Last year it was before Christmas.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:44 AM
BadgerKnight

Quote:
Last year it was before Christmas.
The first Canada Cup Challenge held last year in Smiths Falls was on December 27-29, 2011

Quote:
If this is the case, they may want to re-think the date change,
However, on your point on having different dates for this challenge this has some positive points. It might entice many players that are being billeted in eastern Ontario who probably want to visit family & friends for the holiday season.

Billeting players does not appear to be a big issue for the OJHL so that league might be reluctant to change dates. I do not know enough of the Quebec league if billeting is an issue.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:47 AM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerKnight View Post
The first Canada Cup Challenge held last year in Smiths Falls was on December 27-29, 2011

However, on your point on having different dates for this challenge this has some positive points. It might entice many players that are being billeted in eastern Ontario who probably want to visit family & friends for the holiday season.

Billeting players does not appear to be a big issue for the OJHL so that league might be reluctant to change dates. I do not know enough of the Quebec league if billeting is an issue.
I stand corrected, for some reason I thought it was before Christmas, maybe I mixed up the showcase...... anyways, my bad.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:42 AM
CCHLinsider

BEARS TALK

Smiths Falls Bears sending 6 players to the CCC.

Blaine Byron, Chris Maniccia, Connor McLaren, Tyler Akeson, Patrick Martin, Yanick Crete

Old
12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
CCHLinsider

Is it just me or is the league overrating Yanik Crete from Smiths Falls? I can agree he is fast and shifty at times but would he be as good in a team like Nepean or CP? I believe also a lot has to do with coach Grady giving him the opportunity early on playing with Maniccia and Buonicontri. It helps your stats playing with those two no doubt. Buonicontri has been out of the line-up for awhile and he (Crete) has still been producing. Watching him play he is more of the defensive type of player who will chip in with a goal time to time but likes to pass more than shoot ( 23 helpers) which is much needed if you are playing with a sniper like Maniccia or Buonicontri. Right now I believe the coach will add Byron to that line to replace Buonincontri in the shooting department and try getting him to bring up his goal count up. Another player who also surprises me is Jeff Carroll #21 on the Bears, with his size and skill he should be in the top 5 scorers of the league.

On defence I will have the opportunity to see Lussier play for the first time since being dealt to Smiths Falls. I am expecting a big offensive Dman who can move the puck and can create scoring chances. Smiths Falls have been looking for a D who can step up and make a good first pass out of the Dzone and I see Romoff and Sexton have been doing a great job for that. Tyker Akeson has been struggling IMO lately.... Im not sure if there is pressure of a scholarship situation but he is not playing to the best of his abilities, hope he can turn it around tonight. I also enjoy watching Mcaughan use his big body i believe he is about 6'2 and weighs roughly 210.

Wont be an easy game tonight for he Bears as the Braves have been hot and Blasko (Second top scorer) and Ferreira ( player of the week) come to town. Also with the addition of getting Andrew Pikul last years goalie back will give the Braves some confidence in the back end.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCHLinsider View Post
Is it just me or is the league overrating Yanik Crete from Smiths Falls? I can agree he is fast and shifty at times but would he be as good in a team like Nepean or CP? I believe also a lot has to do with coach Grady giving him the opportunity early on playing with Maniccia and Buonicontri. It helps your stats playing with those two no doubt. Buonicontri has been out of the line-up for awhile and he (Crete) has still been producing. Watching him play he is more of the defensive type of player who will chip in with a goal time to time but likes to pass more than shoot ( 23 helpers) which is much needed if you are playing with a sniper like Maniccia or Buonicontri. Right now I believe the coach will add Byron to that line to replace Buonincontri in the shooting department and try getting him to bring up his goal count up. Another player who also surprises me is Jeff Carroll #21 on the Bears, with his size and skill he should be in the top 5 scorers of the league.

On defence I will have the opportunity to see Lussier play for the first time since being dealt to Smiths Falls. I am expecting a big offensive Dman who can move the puck and can create scoring chances. Smiths Falls have been looking for a D who can step up and make a good first pass out of the Dzone and I see Romoff and Sexton have been doing a great job for that. Tyker Akeson has been struggling IMO lately.... Im not sure if there is pressure of a scholarship situation but he is not playing to the best of his abilities, hope he can turn it around tonight. I also enjoy watching Mcaughan use his big body i believe he is about 6'2 and weighs roughly 210.

Wont be an easy game tonight for he Bears as the Braves have been hot and Blasko (Second top scorer) and Ferreira ( player of the week) come to town. Also with the addition of getting Andrew Pikul last years goalie back will give the Braves some confidence in the back end.
Byron has always been more of a set-up guy, he does not have the big time shot or release of a goalscorer, his biggest strength is the ability to hold onto the puck. Lussier is not the type of player you describe, not a puck mover but rather a puck carrier, who sometimes struggles in his own end, he is a high energy guy that can be physical at times..

Last edited by Ottawa Guy: 12-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:

byron is definetely not the type of player to fill a 'shooting' role

Old
12-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Tarzan

Quote:

IMO it is Byron that is overrated. Not saying he isn't a good player but judging by everything I have read about him since he's been in junior A, you'd think he was the second coming of Mario!! He is a gifted and talented player. However the way I see hockey, a player (forward) needs to be good in many areas of the game. Skating, shooting, passing, hitting, defence. Byron is a talent at passing. His skating is above average but not great. He does not have the strength for a powerful shot, as noted above. He is not at all physical. He is not a defensive minded player. Let me tell you now that if he was put with Mannicia and Crete, you would have a nightmare in defensive coverage as the other two SF boys do not play much defence. If it was not for MaCartney playing on that line lately, their +- would be disastrous.
Speaking of overrated I have to say that Akeson is another player that is in this department. Too many games where he believes that getting the puck out of the defensive zone rests on him. He often holds onto the puck when he has plenty of opportunity to pass it out. It's easy to look at a players points to give him the credit of an all star nomination however for a defensive player they should look at much more. His stats are padded by way too many 2nd assists which makes the total look impressive. BTW, these assists are easily come by, I understand that you simply have to skate by the ref after a goal and whisper your number in his ear. He is, IMO, a weak defensive player.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
IMO it is Byron that is overrated. Not saying he isn't a good player but judging by everything I have read about him since he's been in junior A, you'd think he was the second coming of Mario!! He is a gifted and talented player. However the way I see hockey, a player (forward) needs to be good in many areas of the game. Skating, shooting, passing, hitting, defence. Byron is a talent at passing. His skating is above average but not great. He does not have the strength for a powerful shot, as noted above. He is not at all physical. He is not a defensive minded player. Let me tell you now that if he was put with Mannicia and Crete, you would have a nightmare in defensive coverage as the other two SF boys do not play much defence. If it was not for MaCartney playing on that line lately, their +- would be disastrous.
Speaking of overrated I have to say that Akeson is another player that is in this department. Too many games where he believes that getting the puck out of the defensive zone rests on him. He often holds onto the puck when he has plenty of opportunity to pass it out. It's easy to look at a players points to give him the credit of an all star nomination however for a defensive player they should look at much more. His stats are padded by way too many 2nd assists which makes the total look impressive. BTW, these assists are easily come by, I understand that you simply have to skate by the ref after a goal and whisper your number in his ear. He is, IMO, a weak defensive player.
I agree with everything you said. Maybe the 'hutton' factor will happen with Byron where he steps up his game defensively at the next level

Old
12-04-2012, 02:16 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Agree with you on both fronts.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:55 PM
CCHLinsider

Quote:

Akeson IS OVERRATED, I agree...

Old
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
CoasttoCoast

Wow now.....remember we are talking about a 17yr. old kid. Very few 17 yr olds can play in this league and put up numbers & control the puck the way he does. No one should expect a 17yr. old to carry a team (Kemptville). Byron would be a dominating player in this league as a 19 or 20 yr. old. But right now, he is just a flashy young player, with no play-off experience, as a offensive role player in Smith Falls, he will be effective, he's not the second coming of Mario, at least not yet.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
MacM

Quote:
... as a offensive role player in Smith Falls, he will be effective,
ANOTHER offensive role player. It looks to me like SMF are betting that they can score buckets, are willing to concede mistakes in their own end, thinking that when they do their goalies will keep the puck out. A couple of days ago the Pembroke online paper had a quote from PLK coach saying they had shut down SMF top lines - but the Bears are too deep and got enough scoring elsewhere. Anchor all that offensive with two capable goalies... Might work. Might not. They have 5 shutouts, but also some games with 5,6 and 7 goals against.

So when does the "are they big/tough enough" card get played?

Old
12-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
ANOTHER offensive role player. It looks to me like SMF are betting that they can score buckets, are willing to concede mistakes in their own end, thinking that when they do their goalies will keep the puck out. A couple of days ago the Pembroke online paper had a quote from PLK coach saying they had shut down SMF top lines - but the Bears are too deep and got enough scoring elsewhere. Anchor all that offensive with two capable goalies... Might work. Might not. They have 5 shutouts, but also some games with 5,6 and 7 goals against.

In two months when the playoffs start. For details see CP Canadians the last two years and note the performance (or absence thereof) of Morrissey.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:32 PM
oldnucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbers View Post
In two months when the playoffs start. For details see CP Canadians the last two years and note the performance (or absence thereof) of Morrissey.

This is a very different year, im not predicting any playoff let downs by cp or smith falls.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:23 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:

"Size is the most common mistake on draft-day"- assuming someone can play because they have size or presuming somewhat cannot play because they are small, are the two most common mistakes. Nepean & Cornwall's key forwards last year were the smallest in the league. They were the two teams in the final.
"It's not how tall you are...it's how big your game is"

Old
12-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Rangersfan21

doesnt look like maniccia is fitting well with the new players

Closed Thread