HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
hurricane11

vCash: 500
Its a dumb event that shouldn't even be had. These players deserve the break with their families.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongkongphoey View Post
Correction Robinson finishes 7th ahead of OJHL south - apologies. They still should have won IMO.

I caught their first two games and part of the third while hanging around to watch the Yzerman Division. I can say very matter of factly that goaltending was very suspect for Team Robinson. Three quick goals against in game one and five goals on the first fifteen shots faced (this in game 2) does not lead to victory in short two-period games. Over before it started. I would have thought that netminding wouldn't have been an issue for them but this wasn't the case.

Additionally, the Robinson Division's top guys (in terms of icetime alotted anyways) were just not their top guys.

Having stated the above - and to their credit - I thought they were the better team overall in game one against Team Burrows from Quebec (in the second period for sure - but it was over by then).

They did show some heart by playing strongly in their final game I thought.

That second game was a real stinker however (i.e. nine goals against in two periods) and several so-called top players were on the ice for several goals against.

They certainly missed Maniccia, Byron and Quince for sure. I had also thought from an initial first glance when the teams were announced that they had a pretty formidable team. You just never know I guess. I was hoping for an all Ottawa Final but no such luck.

Last point - Three of the four teams in their division finished with 3 points so you can't really say they were second last overall.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Credit to PG, he got to the final and lost a 0 0 game in a shoot out. I recall early posts where Robinson was supposed to be a much better team to the Yzerman submission. Robinson finishes DFL.

I also recall SK's outrageous numbers of Kings to TCE selection camp Clearly self serving and he helped cobble together a very very ordinary TCE team. I don't recall PLKrs complaining then at the unfairness and clear favouritism.
So PG gets to the final, good on him. What on earth happened to Robinson? They should have won this.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
I also recall SK's outrageous numbers of Kings to TCE selection camp Clearly self serving and he helped cobble together a very very ordinary TCE team. I don't recall PLKrs complaining then at the unfairness and clear favouritism.
Apples and oranges. SK was part of a selection committee that picked that team. PG obviously chose to play Zawadski 4 out of 5 on his own...being the HC. Anyway, time to move on. Cumberland vs. Ottawa tonight. I'm going to say 5-1 Ottawa.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
specialteams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
January 10th is trade deadline plus all teams have to be down to 23 Junior A carded players so expect some moves opver the next 8 days. Probably the biggest move of the season was already made when SF & 73's completd thier trade. I would expect to see some 92's moved from non-playoff teams of which there are 3 at this time (GL, CU & KE). The guys I would consider as players that could help a top team are are House, Martin & Packard. Each could be effective depending upon the roles you need filled on your team. I would not classify any of these guys as guaranteed top line players but each could contribute on the 2nd or 3rd lines of the top teams along with providing somegood depth.

The next Tier (IMO) of 92's potentially available are Ouimet and Baslyk. Ouimet is already on his third team this season so that makes you wonder....and Baslyk is a hardworking player that can fill a role.

Unless there is a move involving a younger player (or one commits for next season) , or Hawkesbury or Brockville, decide to focus on the future, there does not seem to be any real game breakers that will be available.
Always an interesting time of year for sure, don't think there's a deep pool of 92's, you seemed to have referenced the top ones who could definitely be assets. Not sure how many are maxed out for 20 year olds on their rosters so that's the other problem? I think all three forwards could help, all bring energy and they can score and complement for sure. Packard is a power forward who can bring some physical play to a team just has to stay out of the box but can be very effective . Seen House a bit looks like he's 73's top PK guy and plays point on their PP, noticed he wins majority of his face-offs. Martin love his energy, found his scoring touch, wearing the C, looks like a solid team player and will do whatever it takes to win.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:34 PM
CanadiansGuy60

As per Canadians Twitter page. DMan Eli Ghantous received a Scholarship to Robert Morris University!! Congrats to Eli....great, hard working kid!

Thats 3 kids this year with scholarships, with Summers and Globke already getting Division 1 offers earlier in the season. 12 in the past year and a half.....AMAZING!!

Old
01-03-2013, 05:36 AM
hongkongphoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiansGuy60 View Post
As per Canadians Twitter page. DMan Eli Ghantous received a Scholarship to Robert Morris University!! Congrats to Eli....great, hard working kid!

Thats 3 kids this year with scholarships, with Summers and Globke already getting Division 1 offers earlier in the season. 12 in the past year and a half.....AMAZING!!
Amazing job by the Canadians. It is going to make their recruiting much easier. Bears, PLK and Colts also do a great job.

It does highlight what a HORRIBLE job the Raiders have done. 1 D1 in the last two seasons, Nasca (Hutton and Norris don't count as they already had them). Same number as Kemptville. Interesting that a Championship and a winning record don't seem to help. Something isn't working there.

If a kid wants to go to a D1 College the Canadians or Bears are the place to go. Congrats to the Canadians on doing a great job for their players and moving them to D1.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:08 AM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Amazing job by the Canadians. It is going to make their recruiting much easier. Bears, PLK and Colts also do a great job.

It does highlight what a HORRIBLE job the Raiders have done. 1 D1 in the last two seasons, Nasca (Hutton and Norris don't count as they already had them). Same number as Kemptville. Interesting that a Championship and a winning record don't seem to help. Something isn't working there.

If a kid wants to go to a D1 College the Canadians or Bears are the place to go. Congrats to the Canadians on doing a great job for their players and moving them to D1.
Hard to get scholarships for kids who already have 1- Norris & hutton.
Maclean played in O- not eligible- playing CIS- which is something
Weegar turned down Div. 1 for the Q
Cowie got a excellent "academic" deal to play DIV. 3
Hedges has offers- will take the best offer
Neil, disappointing, but may get something, we can;'t make him 6 feet.
Lorica probably the most disappointing
Nepean wins with older kids and smaller kids, two things that make them less likely to get div. 1's.
That being said, I think it is great, CPC and SF and Pembroke have had so much success.
IMO

Old
01-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:

Kemptville has 3 D1s that I can think of in past year Hutton, Pitt (who got offer but did not commit before going to Sens) and Byron.....not to mention a bunch of D3's over past 2.5 seasons and several guys that moved on to OHL, USHL and QMJHL. On-ice team success does not always mean that guys move on to play at higher levels. In fact many younger players benefit from extra icetime they receive on lower level teams, I would expect more scholly's for Kemptville in next few years as their young group (Seatter Blais Crampton Hendsbee.....) mature.

Another team that has placed a lot of guys in NCAA is Brockville.

Was Johnston not with Nepean when he got his scholarship?

Last edited by Ottawa Guy: 01-03-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 08:47 AM
hongkongphoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
Hard to get scholarships for kids who already have 1- Norris & hutton.
Maclean played in O- not eligible- playing CIS- which is something
Weegar turned down Div. 1 for the Q
Cowie got a excellent "academic" deal to play DIV. 3
Hedges has offers- will take the best offer
Neil, disappointing, but may get something, we can;'t make him 6 feet.
Lorica probably the most disappointing
Nepean wins with older kids and smaller kids, two things that make them less likely to get div. 1's.
That being said, I think it is great, CPC and SF and Pembroke have had so much success.
IMO
I already mentioned Norris and Hutton. We are talking about the last two years. I think nepean's team last year was on average a year younger thanthe Woodstock team.

12-1 in favor of CPC for D1, there is no window dressing that. 3 for Kemptville even.

Either Nepean players have bad marks or the organization could learn a thing or two from more successful teams.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
stickhandle

By successful do you mean winning a championship or losing in the first couple of rounds in the playoffs

Old
01-03-2013, 10:07 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhandle View Post
By successful do you mean winning a championship or losing in the first couple of rounds in the playoffs
I think successful means scholarships for players. Personally, I'd prefer my kid have his schooling paid for rather than a championship.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I think successful means scholarships for players. Personally, I'd prefer my kid have his schooling paid for rather than a championship.
Be careful when you say "schooling paid for". Very few get actual full rides. Most guys don't.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
I already mentioned Norris and Hutton. We are talking about the last two years. I think nepean's team last year was on average a year younger thanthe Woodstock team.

12-1 in favor of CPC for D1, there is no window dressing that. 3 for Kemptville even.

Either Nepean players have bad marks or the organization could learn a thing or two from more successful teams.
1st. Woodstock??? not in our league, full of ex OHL'er's, fewer Div. 1,s then Nepean
2nd. If you don't count Norris, Hutton, Johnston, Weegar, Hedges, Maclean, then you get 12-1.
3rd. Ask the kids on Nepean, who received their Championship rings on Dec.22nd, who is more successful, As Patrick Roy said "I can't hear you, My league and Playoff Champions Rings are blocking my ears"
Anyways...feel free to have the last word on this if you like, I've said enough on this topic.
The reason I started following this blog last year, was the trade deadline, I have nothing right now, seems very quiet. The closest thing I have to trade news is, a couple weeks back I heard "We might be getting Ryan Maclean back", nothing very solid here. Any news out there in the blog universe?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Be careful when you say "schooling paid for". Very few get actual full rides. Most guys don't.
Actually, many do get full rides. Both Globke and Summers for CP are 100%. Not sure about Ghantous. And I'm pretty certain all the guys got full rides last year as well. So be careful when you say "very few get actual full rides".

Last edited by ottawafan66: 01-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
The reason I started following this blog last year, was the trade deadline, I have nothing right now, seems very quiet. The closest thing I have to trade news is, a couple weeks back I heard "We might be getting Ryan Maclean back", nothing very solid here. Any news out there in the blog universe?
Last week I heard it is unlikely that MacLean is returning, lots of injuries with Carleton so he has been playing regularly, however I believe they just added former Pembroke Lumberking Damian Cross to thier roster, not sure if that changes anything....

Old
01-03-2013, 11:05 AM
voiceofytown

Brock Crossthwaite on the move again heading to Blind River of the NOJHL

Old
01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Last week I heard it is unlikely that MacLean is returning, lots of injuries with Carleton so he has been playing regularly, however I believe they just added former Pembroke Lumberking Damian Cross to thier roster, not sure if that changes anything....
Uhm, isn't Damian Cross 23 years old and playing at Providence (NCAA)?

Old
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Actually, many do get full rides. Both Globke and Summers for CP are 100%. Not sure about Ghantous. And I'm pretty certain all the guys got full rides last year as well. So be careful when you say "very few get actual full rides".
Ok. I guess the guys I'm talking to are lying to me, although they have no reason to do so.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Francis Dupuis‏@DupuisFrancis

Familiar face in the room today as former PLK allstar and champion @CrossWurdz is now a CU Raven. #PlKconnection

Retweeted by Pembroke LumberKings

Old
01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
moko00

Quote:
http://www.friars.com/sports/m-hocke...121812aaa.html

He left after 1st semester.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Francis Dupuis‏@DupuisFrancis

Familiar face in the room today as former PLK allstar and champion @CrossWurdz is now a CU Raven. #PlKconnection

Retweeted by Pembroke LumberKings
Oops. Thought you were referring to the Raiders' roster. My apologies.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
hongkongphoey

Quote:
1st. Woodstock??? not in our league, full of ex OHL'er's, fewer Div. 1,s then Nepean
2nd. If you don't count Norris, Hutton, Johnston, Weegar, Hedges, Maclean, then you get 12-1.
3rd. Ask the kids on Nepean, who received their Championship rings on Dec.22nd, who is more successful, As Patrick Roy said "I can't hear you, My league and Playoff Champions Rings are blocking my ears"
Anyways...feel free to have the last word on this if you like, I've said enough on this topic.
The Woodstock reference was made to point out that Nepean last year was a much younger team.

Johnson's D1 was the year before. So in 3 years Nepean has 3 D1s. That may make them one of the worst D1 placement records in the league.

If you asked kids would they rather have the ring or the D1 (not to diminsh the achievement) virtually all would pick the scholly. A ring may plug your hearing but it won't get you a decent job or feed a family. That is what an education is for.

So the record remains 12 - 1 in favour of CPC.

Interesting to note, C2C, in your comments obvious ommisions of Zawadski, Hodgson, and Watt. Multiple all-star selections, prospect selections and I think one made the final TCE camp last year.

So many kudos to CPC, Bears, PLK, Colts, Sens, Braves and the 73s. Nepean has some (perhaps alot) work to do by comparision.

This horse is now officially DEAD!

Off to more entertaining topics like trade deadline. The hot commodity is Dman and there seem to be precious few available. Also who has the horses to win it all. Sens and Bears seem to be clear front runners. Though injuries may clip the Bears wings (paws). Any updates from anyone there?

Old
01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Off to more entertaining topics like trade deadline. The hot commodity is Dman and there seem to be precious few available. Also who has the horses to win it all. Sens and Bears seem to be clear front runners. Though injuries may clip the Bears wings (paws). Any updates from anyone there?
I agree, there do not seem to be a lot of dmen available in the league, on non play-off teams, that can make a difference, teams will probably have to look outside the league.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
BackBringCam

Curious top 3-4 as to which teams you would rather not face in the first round. Anybody got an honest comment?

Closed Thread