HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 02:00 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's focus on the topic at hand and quit the bickering. Only thread warning.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:04 PM
workforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
There are only two people, both owners, that opinions matter, what the rest of us think is meaningless.
Agreed... all this "fantasy GM'ing" is meaningless but that is what fuels a hockey blog.

Kemptville has new ownership that people here are fawning over; they preached to the players that last year's 13 wins meant that 13 changes would be forthcoming; they have brought in a bus load of imports to sit on the bench or in the stands to watch two lines play; they traded away local players who are helping their immediate competition; they play the owner's kids while the 1st overall selection and a proven CCHL goaltender sit at home.

When will the coaches be accountable?

When the team goes without a win for +20 games in a row, like last year?

When the advisors of their top three players orchestrate hold-outs or trades to competitive teams?... oh right, there is a "no tampering" rule, silly me for meaningless musings

If the changes are not the right ones... 13 changes will net them 15 wins, which is what the 73's are on pace for.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
valleydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by workforce View Post
Agreed... all this "fantasy GM'ing" is meaningless but that is what fuels a hockey blog.

Kemptville has new ownership that people here are fawning over; they preached to the players that last year's 13 wins meant that 13 changes would be forthcoming; they have brought in a bus load of imports to sit on the bench or in the stands to watch two lines play; they traded away local players who are helping their immediate competition; they play the owner's kids while the 1st overall selection and a proven CCHL goaltender sit at home.

When will the coaches be accountable?

When the team goes without a win for +20 games in a row, like last year?

When the advisors of their top three players orchestrate hold-outs or trades to competitive teams?... oh right, there is a "no tampering" rule, silly me for meaningless musings

If the changes are not the right ones... 13 changes will net them 15 wins, which is what the 73's are on pace for.

Interesting to see that one of those "13 changes" is now playing in Gloucester, coach/GM's son Eric Malloy. It also looks like he had a decent debut, maybe the 73's need to get him back !

Old
10-22-2012, 04:48 PM
hockieguy

I agree that Pat Malloy has made a lot of changes, including the departure of his son, but in order to see if the new guys can play, they actually need to play. This is not happening at all. Do you make a coaching change now, or do you just let the team flounder? I hope that the new ownership sees what is going on. They have already lost their goalie, how many more players living away from home will get sick of sitting 1/2 the games in the stands watching their team not only lose, but get run right of the rinks on the scoreboard, physically and emotionally. IMO, make the move now....

Old
10-22-2012, 05:04 PM
67sfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post
If you were that close, perhaps you heard linesman Yuck, using every F bomb and c word in his vocabulary goading the kid in, players will argue from Atom to the NHL, I am sure the RiC would expect his officials to be above cursing and swearing the way this guy was doing it, it was quiet obvious if you heard Walsh, you had to of heard that, I'd assume you noticed Slimser tell the linesman to cool it? Actually, I think the "brutal Offside" you mention was the reason they got into it in the first place that got Walsh the 2.
Pretty sure the kid getting tossed for a side shot they called checking from behind ( and the game misconduct that went with it)was a stretch (a board more appropriate) when 5 minutes later, they put Kanata's 11 straight in head first and only get the two minute boarding, (called by Schilling at center ice, not Slimser, 10 feet from the play, who happened to have tossed the Kanata guy a few minutes earlier.)
Glad you mentioned the offside, there were some weak icings as well that will turn hair grey. Though having watched about 15-20 games this year, IMO I think that the linesmen have been performing worse than the referees so far in the games I've seen.
A poorly officiated game that was not nearly as "dirty" as the game sheet would make it appear. Everybody has off nights, guess it was coincidence all four had their together

Forum followers should wear the "Hello my name is....." stickers when they go to games! Woulda bought you beer
I'll agree with you that Yuck was goading him in....that said...at this level of hockey these kids have to learn to suck up their pride and skate away......the refs are going to win 10 times out of 10.

I will also agree with you in reference to the boarding call. I had completely forgot about that hit and 100% agree that it should have been a check from behind and a game.

Aside from that though I found the refs to be pretty decent. As you stated though.....the linesmen were a whole other story.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
5 game winning streak for Pembroke, this year, that is impressive. Of course the winning streak started after Nepean and Smith Falls spanked Pembroke.
I saw the Gloucester & Nepean game Sunday. Gloucester had a great first period, got the early lead, Adams scored & hit a crossbar, Boivin was everywhere, 7 good scoring chances, unfortunately Nepean scored short handed in the dying seconds of the period, and took a undeserved 2-1 lead into intermission. After that is was all Nepean, I don't know were Gloucester went but Nepean out scored Gloucester 4-0 the rest of the way, and the score did reflect the game. Zawadski was'nt tested after the first period. Couple of interesting observations, several big open ice hits by both teams, Lorica, and Vered landed big hits, and the new kid Beavauis landed one, and looked good skating and carrying the puck , he made a couple of mistakes as well. Adams & Rosebrook looked good. With Yarwood and Herlihey injured S. Johnston has slid into the left wing spot on the top line, with Hedges and Neil, he is making the most of the oppurtunity, playing well. Jennings got frustrated with the ref's then tore into the bench in the third, maybe the bench deserved it. The reffing was strange in this one, linesmen screwed up icing 3 times, corrected themselves twice and both referees ignored accidental tripping of players that had the puck and resulted in turnovers. Just my opinions/observations.
Was at the Nepean game also and agree with pretty much everything you said----I often found myself wondering if one of the linesman was new, as the many icing confusions really baffled me. On a side note---heard from someone reliable that there will probably be a few roster moves by the Rangers. Apparantly two players asked for trades and one showed up to practice to find his bags packed and waiting at back door.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:21 PM
overtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
Was at the Nepean game also and agree with pretty much everything you said----I often found myself wondering if one of the linesman was new, as the many icing confusions really baffled me. On a side note---heard from someone reliable that there will probably be a few roster moves by the Rangers. Apparantly two players asked for trades and one showed up to practice to find his bags packed and waiting at back door.

Must be part of the rebuild going on in gloucester . They're tied with brockville for 8th but have played 3 more games than them and are only 1 point up on cumberland who have 3 games in hand on them and 5 points better than the hawks who have 3 games in hand , so they could easily be in 11th place . They shouldnt be treating kids like this because more will want out once december/january comes around and jennings is still on the bench taking penalties , hurting the team and looking like a fool screaming @ the refs and kids .

Old
10-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockieguy View Post
I agree that Pat Malloy has made a lot of changes, including the departure of his son, but in order to see if the new guys can play, they actually need to play. This is not happening at all. Do you make a coaching change now, or do you just let the team flounder? I hope that the new ownership sees what is going on. They have already lost their goalie, how many more players living away from home will get sick of sitting 1/2 the games in the stands watching their team not only lose, but get run right of the rinks on the scoreboard, physically and emotionally. IMO, make the move now....
It does not really look like the facts are consistent with your argument. The goalie that left is local and lives at home, seems to have got more than his share of games before he left and has a history of being somewhat "tempermental", so those of us that have been around the league for a while are not exactly surprised by this development. I took a quick look at thier roster and there is only one player that is living away from home who has sat in the stands for anything close to half the games. As I have said before there is nothing unusual about this in Jr hockey, lived thru it myself with 2 players, just take a look at the rosters of other teams in the league and you will see the same thing.

Last edited by Ottawa Guy: 10-22-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Ottawa Guy

CCHL Tier 1‏@CCHLTier1

Cornwall acquires Pierre Ouellette, a 1st round pick in the 2013 #CCHL Draft and PDF from Smiths Falls in exchange for Connor Primeau.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockieguy View Post
I wouldnt say it is a big loss with them losing their goaltender. He is not a difference maker in the league and the only year he did okay was when he backed up the league championship team...he never had great numbers as a starter.
however i do agree that they should start playing kids not named byron more to give them a chance to develop and possibly shine. I would say to wait another 2-3 weeks before they make a change if things dont improve. they definetely have some holes to fill

Old
10-22-2012, 07:30 PM
newfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
Me 2. I did not believe that Mr. Malloy was part owner. Hopefully, the 73's can re group and join the party at the CCHL.
it was me that said he was going to be a part owner.....I heard it from the horses mouth......perhaps the big boys had a change of plans

Old
10-22-2012, 07:37 PM
workforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
I wouldnt say it is a big loss with them losing their goaltender. He is not a difference maker in the league and the only year he did okay was when he backed up the league championship team...he never had great numbers as a starter.
however i do agree that they should start playing kids not named byron more to give them a chance to develop and possibly shine. I would say to wait another 2-3 weeks before they make a change if things dont improve. they definetely have some holes to fill
Agreed... Brind'Amour (like any other goalie) will post better numbers with a better team in front of him (that was one of my initial points). Effectively, the team has chosen Cooper/Tugnutt (0 CCHL experience) over two of Wilkins/Mulder/Brind'Amour (150-200 CCHL games experience).

The error of the goaltending decision is highlighted by an inexperienced D core, when the management chose or could not sign Lacroix, Ferras, Doumeng and Keisler.

To trade Rosebrook and Adams (both '93s gritty power forwards who are proving to have scoring abilities) in exchange effectively for '92 Varrin (small over-ager will give them 50 games at best)... is short-sighted at best and blind to the team's scoring woes.

If any one of Byron, Gonu or Lussier is injured or seeks a trade... then what?

And wouldn't a Legault for Primeau trade have benefited both the local players and the teams. I gotta think the Colts are less likely to face grief from the 73's, yet MacInnis trades Primeau to the league's 1st place team.

And if they follow the advice of a 2-3 week wait... well they face SFs twice, Cornwall, Pembroke and Nepean (along with Ottawa, Brockville and the grads twice) in that period. And if the coaching change happens in three weeks, Ron Tugnutt will coach his first three games in Jr A hockey against Cornwall and CP twice... with nine fewer games left on the schedule to right the ship.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheboards View Post
[/B]

Must be part of the rebuild going on in gloucester . They're tied with brockville for 8th but have played 3 more games than them and are only 1 point up on cumberland who have 3 games in hand on them and 5 points better than the hawks who have 3 games in hand , so they could easily be in 11th place . They shouldnt be treating kids like this because more will want out once december/january comes around and jennings is still on the bench taking penalties , hurting the team and looking like a fool screaming @ the refs and kids .
Not sure what you mean by saying they shouldnt treat kids like that-----because no one said they were treated bad----just stated that a couple asked for trades----and in my opinion if someone doesnt want to play on your team, they should not be allowed to practice and stay around the team.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by workforce View Post
Agreed... Brind'Amour (like any other goalie) will post better numbers with a better team in front of him (that was one of my initial points). Effectively, the team has chosen Cooper/Tugnutt (0 CCHL experience) over two of Wilkins/Mulder/Brind'Amour (150-200 CCHL games experience).

The error of the goaltending decision is highlighted by an inexperienced D core, when the management chose or could not sign Lacroix, Ferras, Doumeng and Keisler.

To trade Rosebrook and Adams (both '93s gritty power forwards who are proving to have scoring abilities) in exchange effectively for '92 Varrin (small over-ager will give them 50 games at best)... is short-sighted at best and blind to the team's scoring woes.

If any one of Byron, Gonu or Lussier is injured or seeks a trade... then what?

And wouldn't a Legault for Primeau trade have benefited both the local players and the teams. I gotta think the Colts are less likely to face grief from the 73's, yet MacInnis trades Primeau to the league's 1st place team.

And if they follow the advice of a 2-3 week wait... well they face SFs twice, Cornwall, Pembroke and Nepean (along with Ottawa, Brockville and the grads twice) in that period. And if the coaching change happens in three weeks, Ron Tugnutt will coach his first three games in Jr A hockey against Cornwall and CP twice... with nine fewer games left on the schedule to right the ship.
I agree with most of what you said. Obviously they felt brindamour and cooper were going to be better than what they are and that is why they got rid of wilkins...unfortunately everyone can see now he is the best of the three. Lacroix is in the USHL right now, Ferras at Queens and to be honest doumeng and kreisler would not help in adding top 4 defenceman which is what they need. They have not had the easiest schedule this year, but they also havent beaten the teams they should have.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:53 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
Kids who are not playing much, often ask for trades this time of year. Sometimes they find a good spot, Galasso from Nepean to Smith Falls last year, sometimes they find their bags packed at the back door. But you probably know that. If Gloucester had won the game on Sunday they would be 500 for the year, not exactly a horrible start, I would be surprised if a regular player was looking to get out already, but it would'nt be the first time I was wrong.

Kemptville carrying extra players, I don't see that as part of the problem, everyone does it. Nepean started last year and this year with 16 forwards. I have noticed that rookie 18-19 yr old "imports" do not like to take their turn as a healthy scratchs, were the local kids will take it, the imports will go home. I'm not really keen on talking about Kemptville, they could bring Scotty Bowman back to coach, they still are not going to make the playoffs, lets give the new ownership time, they inherited a mess.

Not much talk about Mitch Zion, I think this is a huge addition for Cornwall. With the league so tight, adding a elite player like Zion can move you from 5th to 1st. I'm curious what other people think about Zion.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:05 PM
oldnucks

Quote:
Kids who are not playing much, often ask for trades this time of year. Sometimes they find a good spot, Galasso from Nepean to Smith Falls last year, sometimes they find their bags packed at the back door. But you probably know that. If Gloucester had won the game on Sunday they would be 500 for the year, not exactly a horrible start, I would be surprised if a regular player was looking to get out already, but it would'nt be the first time I was wrong.

Kemptville carrying extra players, I don't see that as part of the problem, everyone does it. Nepean started last year and this year with 16 forwards. I have noticed that rookie 18-19 yr old "imports" do not like to take their turn as a healthy scratchs, were the local kids will take it, the imports will go home. I'm not really keen on talking about Kemptville, they could bring Scotty Bowman back to coach, they still are not going to make the playoffs, lets give the new ownership time, they inherited a mess.

Not much talk about Mitch Zion, I think this is a huge addition for Cornwall. With the league so tight, adding a elite player like Zion can move you from 5th to 1st. I'm curious what other people think about Zion.

Adding Zion is huge, makes them more than just a 1 line offensive threat. Curious to see who they'll have Zion play with, im sure there will be some line juggling but with Quince, Ponterelli, Amirito and Durocher they have some possibilities. Haven't seen their new additions on defense but if they help out at all than this really has cornwall with the ability to be top 4 for sure. Still a couple peices to add to the puzzle, lets see what Macinnis can do.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:05 PM
workforce

Quote:
I'm not really keen on talking about Kemptville, they could bring Scotty Bowman back to coach, they still are not going to make the playoffs, lets give the new ownership time, they inherited a mess.
So to be clear then... you are no longer endorsing the view that the 73's "new attitude and Byron" will land the team in 7th spot.

Thompson has owned the team for six months or so. He and Malloy had a hand in team over the previous years in building and developing the team he purchased. They had a young, talented team to be further developed. They had all the same camps and recruiting opportunities as the other teams. and they have an ex-NHLer who, if nothing else Hockey Canada says can evaluate and train goalies. Yet Ottawa Guy says goaltending is their major problem.

Nothing wrong with having a large roster and players sitting... if you have Nepean-like depth... imports can leave with little impact. Kemptville's season rests on three players and when their advisors determine that they should play elsewhere, what players will replace them.

The new ownership proclaimed the past record was not acceptable... agreed! The new ownership threatened changes would happen to improve the record. Talented players have been traded away who are producing in this league. Changes have happened but the results are the same or worse.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:

zion is not good enough to move a team from 5th to first. Cornwall needs to focus on getting a goalie and adding depth in my opinion. However they are starting to fill in the pieces. I see him as slightly over a point per game player. He definetely helps them but he would not have left Clarkson if he was a game changer.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:43 AM
hardfacts

CPC quitely second overall with 12 new faces...and no Morrissey.....leading scorer first year guy in the league.....didnt think they would have the record they have with out Morrisseys offence.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:49 AM
BackBringCam

Nice pick up in Ouellette. Kid is going to be solid in seasons to come. How many 16 year olds do the Colts have now?

Old
10-23-2012, 10:45 AM
hardfacts

Cornwall Riverkings.....over 4000 people at first home game...wow...hopefully it does not hurt the colts....

Old
10-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post
Nice pick up in Ouellette. Kid is going to be solid in seasons to come. How many 16 year olds do the Colts have now?
Still 2, Spink & Ming, the Ouellette kid is 18.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
BackBringCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Still 2, Spink & Ming, the Ouellette kid is 18.
I must be mixing him up with another guy, my bad

Old
10-23-2012, 03:33 PM
CJHL FAN

If or should I say when Kemptville does make a coaching change who would make a good replacement and get things turned around there?

My opinion would not be Mr Tugnut, although I think he could do a great job having sons on the team does not work. Case in point Mr Malloy , Mr Brenton, Mr Russo Mr Galley etc.... , players resent the off spring of owners and coaches.

So I leave it up to all of the so called experts to chime in with a replacement.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
valleydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHL FAN View Post
If or should I say when Kemptville does make a coaching change who would make a good replacement and get things turned around there?

My opinion would not be Mr Tugnut, although I think he could do a great job having sons on the team does not work. Case in point Mr Malloy , Mr Brenton, Mr Russo Mr Galley etc.... , players resent the off spring of owners and coaches.

So I leave it up to all of the so called experts to chime in with a replacement.
What do you think of this...From what I understand they pay these guys next to nothing, so stop treating this like a job. Hire someone with a volunteer coaching background, not someone trying to make a living out of hockey. I would be looking at the best Minor Midget AAA coaches... Jeff Fitch ??

Closed Thread