HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
CoasttoCoast

vCash: 500
Pre-season picks in this league ar'nt worth a bowl of soup...they are for fun and a chance at bragging rights. Kemptville 7th, that's nothing, I went out on a limb and moved Cumberland to 3rd and CP to 6th. If I remember correctly there was a few of us hoping for a turn around this year in Kemptville. Anyways, not interested in talking kemptville.

Input on Zion was much appreciated, I would say an additon of a 75 point player in this league, is a huge addition.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
CoasttoCoast

No way am I hiring a Minior midget AAA coach to head coach my jr. A club. Two completely different worlds. Matt Cowie assistent coach in Nepean, was head coach of Ottawa West Jr. B. Someone who has been successful at the Jr. B level as a head coach or Jr. A as assistent with Major or Jr. A playing experience. I'm sure I will think of someone else, I'm sure ever organization has someone. Anyone else want to put a name forward.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:20 PM
CJHL FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
No way am I hiring a Minior midget AAA coach to head coach my jr. A club. Two completely different worlds. Matt Cowie assistent coach in Nepean, was head coach of Ottawa West Jr. B. Someone who has been successful at the Jr. B level as a head coach or Jr. A as assistent with Major or Jr. A playing experience. I'm sure I will think of someone else, I'm sure ever organization has someone. Anyone else want to put a name forward.
Totally agree. JR A coaching is a full time job. Yes poor pay and lots of hours.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:28 PM
CJHL FAN

Congratulations to those players selected to attend the Team Canada East camp.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHL FAN View Post
Totally agree. JR A coaching is a full time job. Yes poor pay and lots of hours.
That is why a lot of the successful ones are coach/GM/owner/chief bottle washer........

Old
10-23-2012, 05:25 PM
overtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
Pre-season picks in this league ar'nt worth a bowl of soup...they are for fun and a chance at bragging rights. Kemptville 7th, that's nothing, I went out on a limb and moved Cumberland to 3rd and CP to 6th. If I remember correctly there was a few of us hoping for a turn around this year in Kemptville. Anyways, not interested in talking kemptville.

Input on Zion was much appreciated, I would say an additon of a 75 point player in this league, is a huge addition.

never had 75 points in a year , had 46 in 08-09 and 47 in 10-11

Old
10-23-2012, 07:20 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheboards View Post
[/B]

46 points as a 16 year old is pretty impressive. Could easily be a 75 point guy this year.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheboards View Post
[/B]

Someone called him a "little more then a point a game player" 62*1.2=74.4pts. Just a guessitmate.
I see Corey Durocher is still playing for Gloucester, anyone know the intel on his situation.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Gettrdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitans View Post
What do you think of this...From what I understand they pay these guys next to nothing, so stop treating this like a job. Hire someone with a volunteer coaching background, not someone trying to make a living out of hockey. I would be looking at the best Minor Midget AAA coaches... Jeff Fitch ??
In order to successfully coach 17-20 year olds in this league, you need to learn how to get the most out of each individual, within the team's game plan. Players must be supported in a positive environment to build trust and commitment. To win consistently like Nepean and PG, players need to also support each other and be willing to go through the wall for their coach.

In speaking with several Titan parents over multiple years, Jeff Fitch does not have this skill set.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:16 PM
hawxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettrdone View Post
In order to successfully coach 17-20 year olds in this league, you need to learn how to get the most out of each individual, within the team's game plan. Players must be supported in a positive environment to build trust and commitment. To win consistently like Nepean and PG, players need to also support each other and be willing to go through the wall for their coach.

In speaking with several Titan parents over multiple years, Jeff Fitch does not have this skill set.
Its a big leap from Titan land to the coaching at the CCHL level. If Jeff Fitch had the tools he would have to have won a title or come close at the level he's at now. No one (I believe) takes the jump up two levels. Jr. B is a testing ground for players and coaches going on to the next level. I have heard that he's at best a Jr. B coach.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawxfan View Post
Its a big leap from Titan land to the coaching at the CCHL level. If Jeff Fitch had the tools he would have to have won a title or come close at the level he's at now. No one (I believe) takes the jump up two levels. Jr. B is a testing ground for players and coaches going on to the next level. I have heard that he's at best a Jr. B coach.
Jr.B is nothing like Jr.A to be honest, obviously there are some jr.b coaches that could make the jump tho. Jr.B is not always taken nearly as serious as for the older players it is sometimes like pick up hockey. I think Rob Dobson in Smiths Falls would be good with past NHL experience or Kirkwood.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:08 AM
MacM

Quote:

So I leave it up to all of the so called experts to chime in with a replacement.
Same experts posted this summer that there was "no chance" Tugnutt Jr would play in Kemptville this season.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Jrfever

Quote:
Congratulations to those players selected to attend the Team Canada East camp.
Surprised by the Johnston invitation. Have not heard much about him this year or in the past.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:45 AM
valleydude

How about Brayden St Germain last night. Comes off the bench down 3-0 and gets the 5-4 win in a SO...stopped all three ! Is he the only 16 year old goalie in the league this year ??

Old
10-24-2012, 07:50 AM
BackBringCam

St Germaine has been very good this season. Huge upgrade over Crosswaithe

Old
10-24-2012, 07:56 AM
valleydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettrdone View Post

All fair points on my idea, although I really question the JR B guy is more qualified than AAA guy thread. I have had multiple years of AAA and a little exposure to JR B, and in my experience would be opposite to that.

As for Fitch, and the going thru a wall stuff. Minor Midget AAA is the most selfish year of a players career. They care more about point streak than wins...so use another criteria to evaluate them.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrfever View Post
Surprised by the Johnston invitation. Have not heard much about him this year or in the past.
He has taken advantage of the opportunity presented to him this season, his linemates are Hedges and Neil.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
All fair points on my idea, although I really question the JR B guy is more qualified than AAA guy thread. I have had multiple years of AAA and a little exposure to JR B, and in my experience would be opposite to that.

As for Fitch, and the going thru a wall stuff. Minor Midget AAA is the most selfish year of a players career. They care more about point streak than wins...so use another criteria to evaluate them.
There are qualified coaches in both AAA and Jr B. One of the most difficult hurdles for any candidate to overcome is the schedule, since in most cases the pay is not enough for it to be a full-time job you need to be able to get to 4:00 & 4:30pm practices 3 times per week, not many people have that kind of flexibility in their jobs.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:19 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:

I believe Fitch also has some Jr. B experience going back to his Ottawa West days (player and coach).

Old
10-24-2012, 08:31 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
He has taken advantage of the opportunity presented to him this season, his linemates are Hedges and Neil.
But why should that be a qualification for being selected? To me, he should have a lot more than 11 points playing with those guys. Many other players should have been chosen instead...IMHO.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Gettrdone

Quote:

I agree with the first part. It's also been my experience that AAA coaches seem more qualified than Jr B. Just attend a few practices (AAA vs Jr B) and judge for yourself.

I'm having trouble eliminating the criteria of measuring a coach's skill in connecting with his/her players. From what I've heard from some parents, John Yablonski (Ottawa 67's AAA) has built positive and winning team environments consistently. Can anyone speak to their experience?

Old
10-24-2012, 09:41 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawxfan View Post
If you had done some research, you would have seen that in the last 3 years Fitch has won 1 championship and lost in the final twice. He's also had success at the OHL Cup. Not saying that this qualifies him to coach Junior A but it does correct a false statement.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
But why should that be a qualification for being selected? To me, he should have a lot more than 11 points playing with those guys. Many other players should have been chosen instead...IMHO.
It has got him noticed....

Old
10-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
I am sure that was not the only criteria, from what I have seen he is a good power forward who plays at both ends of the ice and can finish when given the opportunity

Old
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
Jr.B is nothing like Jr.A to be honest, obviously there are some jr.b coaches that could make the jump tho. Jr.B is not always taken nearly as serious as for the older players it is sometimes like pick up hockey. I think Rob Dobson in Smiths Falls would be good with past NHL experience or Kirkwood.
Don't tell aspiring 16-17 year olds JR B is like pick up hockey...come watch a couple of games

Closed Thread