I miss Doc 5 Hole.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:32 PM
The Last Baron*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
Seems like a Hall of Fame hockey writer crying for attention. Never liked KPD, his whole rant about how he can contribute more to charity because he is the great KPD and writes for the great Boston Globe is pathetic. If he is trolling, he's doing a good job but he's also making himself look like an arrogant ass at the same time.
Agreed.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Serge

So what already. Bloggers are constantly savaging each other out there. They live off pissing off someone, including their peers. So why do we bat an eye if Dupes pisses them off? I think we can answer that one for ourselves.

Can't wait for this damn lockout to end.

Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:37 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
So what already. Bloggers are constantly savaging each other out there. They live off pissing off someone, including their peers. So why do we bat an eye if Dupes pisses them off? I think we can answer that one for ourselves.

Can't wait for this damn lockout to end.
Woah..painting bloggers with a broad brush there, no?

There's many types of bloggers...some just blog for fun, others blog for commercial purposes. Hell, I blog for my company because I love talking about Internet marketing and advertising.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:39 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

most writers are like that on twitter.

i like writers who don't take themselves too seriously but still produce quality writing. most of those writers are bloggers as they tend to be harder working and phone in fewer columns nowadays.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

What ODAAT said. I always used to like his stuff regardless of whether I agreed with him.

As a poster on here KPD got shown up repeatedly. In terms of hockey knowledge he can't carry the jock of guys like Kirk NEHJ and OOG. He isn't even close despite his hefty salary and unequaled access to the game.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only real difference between bloggers and journalists is corporate backing. Functionally, they're pretty much the same. The clout that mainstream journalism still enjoys is based on history. Journalists have no bar association, no license, no official ethics committee oversight, etc.

To deride bloggers, who are really echoing the start of traditional journalism online, simply because they use a different medium and don't represent the old guard is both ignorant and shortsighted. I delight in people like KPD, Cafardo, PeteAbe, et al. getting spanked on Twitter. The press is finally becoming answerable to the people once again. It's fun watching them squirm.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I like KPD and have stuck up for him a lot in the past.

But this is coming off rather elitist and as someone pinning for a dying industry.

I am sure silent movie actors did the same thing.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:12 PM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
One could argue that KPD`s "writing" has deteriorated over the last few years, used to love his stuff regardless if I didn`t agree with it but nowadays, his bitterness and venom are difficult to stomach
I stopped following him/reading his work a year or so ago... Couldn't stand what he wrote. could only imagine what it is like now...

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
KPD is being miserable and whiny? You don't say?!

It's just goes to show, if you can be mediocre long enough, mediocre fans will think you're great.

Now that the Sinden days are over, can we be over Mr. Dupont as well? Can you just ride into the sunset like a boss "HOF" writer, Kevin?

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:54 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
I stopped following him/reading his work a year or so ago... Couldn't stand what he wrote. could only imagine what it is like now...
There was a time when he would write articles that were well thought out, questioning the moves of Ownership/Mngt/Coaches, heck, players too, that, although I didn`t necessarily agree with what he wrote, he did so with an intelligent approach, backing up his beliefs with examples.

Somewhere, no idea where/when, there was a distinct change in his writings, rather than ask the questions of the afformentioned, he just started making random statements, backed with nothing, and then he wonders why those who used to support him have kind of inched their way to the other side.

Tis really too bad, he was one heck of a journalist, what he`s doing now is continually souring the good he`s done over the years with this Grade School junk

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
KPD is entitled to his opinion.

But I'm also entitled to mine..........I better stop there

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:20 AM
SupremefartMachine

I find it strange that his writing has gone downhill and his anger has increased over the past few years, because it's coincided with the Bruins rise and Cup win. You'd think he'd be happy.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:25 AM
FutureConsiderations

Preemptive plea to the mods: he's had one post here in the last ten or so weeks. I can't recall the last bit of inside info he provided here. He antagonized an entire network of people who read HF daily.

Can we please discuss this (within reason) without it being shut down due to KPD being a poster?

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:29 AM
FutureConsiderations

Fact: the average post from 5 or 6 posters on the Bruins HF board (brick-and-mortar, blogger, or layman) holds more truly insightful analysis and inside information than KPD brings to any three columns from this past year.

I don't know if KPD is upset that bloggers have become most people's primary source for information or if he's cranky that the twilight of a journalist's career isn't as cushy or safe as it used to be.

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 10-03-2012 at 08:44 AM.
FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
KPD is entitled to his opinion.

But I'm also entitled to mine..........I better stop there
my (unspoken) thoughts exactly.

God I miss Will McDonough!

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:52 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
my (unspoken) thoughts exactly.

God I miss Will McDonough!
Me too.

Can't believe he'll be gone 10 years in January.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremefartMachine View Post
I find it strange that his writing has gone downhill and his anger has increased over the past few years, because it's coincided with the Bruins rise and Cup win. You'd think he'd be happy.
Think about what you just wrote, and you'll see what it reveals.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Think about what you just wrote, and you'll see what it reveals.
Yup. The bad times made him relevant, not so much anymore.

I was never a fan, even for a negative JJ basher like myself..

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:20 AM
bosoxmrkn

Send a message via AIM to bosoxmrkn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
You're kidding, right?
Not in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Hockey Hall of Fame says otherwise.
KPD is NOT a HOF writer. He has never been recognized by the hockey hall of fame. He was given an award for longevity by the NHL Writers Association which HE has twisted into an acknowledgement by the voters for the hockey HOF. That should show you what kind of a character he is.

I think this summed it up perfectly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid McGoiter View Post
It's just goes to show, if you can be mediocre long enough, mediocre fans will think you're great.

bosoxmrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxmrkn View Post
Not in the least.

KPD is NOT a HOF writer. He has never been recognized by the hockey hall of fame. He was given an award for longevity by the NHL Writers Association which HE has twisted into an acknowledgement by the voters for the hockey HOF. That should show you what kind of a character he is.

I think this summed it up perfectly:
so he got in for "compiling stats as opposed to dominating his era" as they say?

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:47 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only real difference between bloggers and journalists is corporate backing. Functionally, they're pretty much the same. The clout that mainstream journalism still enjoys is based on history. Journalists have no bar association, no license, no official ethics committee oversight, etc.

To deride bloggers, who are really echoing the start of traditional journalism online, simply because they use a different medium and don't represent the old guard is both ignorant and shortsighted. I delight in people like KPD, Cafardo, PeteAbe, et al. getting spanked on Twitter. The press is finally becoming answerable to the people once again. It's fun watching them squirm.
Quoted for truth.

The old media is experiencing a long overdue rude awakening. People now have other reliable sources of news. Instead of being afraid of the new media old media should rise to the challenge and prove to us why their methods of delivering the news are better rather than just saying so.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
rudos1

"Please get out of the way if you can't lend a hand cuz the times they are a changin"
Bob Dylan

I wonder if KDP yells at kids to get off his lawn too...

rudos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Bruwinz37

I see both sides. In KPD's defence this is an industry that has been bastardized by the internet. An industry where he and others put a lot of effort to get to where they are. On the other hand....it is simply supply and demand. They wouldnt exist if there wasnt some demand for them....whether informational or entertainment.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
There was a time when he would write articles that were well thought out, questioning the moves of Ownership/Mngt/Coaches, heck, players too, that, although I didn`t necessarily agree with what he wrote, he did so with an intelligent approach, backing up his beliefs with examples.

Somewhere, no idea where/when, there was a distinct change in his writings, rather than ask the questions of the afformentioned, he just started making random statements, backed with nothing, and then he wonders why those who used to support him have kind of inched their way to the other side.

Tis really too bad, he was one heck of a journalist, what he`s doing now is continually souring the good he`s done over the years with this Grade School junk
I think KPD decided he wanted to be the Boston Globe's hockey version of Dan Shaughnessey (baseball) and Bud Collins (Tennis).

IMO Shaughnessey became not much more than an editorialist who specialized in sarcastic ridicule. Bud Collins was the same -- seemingly fixated on spending his time making up silly nicknames for players and British Royalty during Wimbledon.

KPD seems to have taken a page from both books -- and seems more interested in witty snipes and silly catchphrases than anything else these days.

As far as actual reporting goes for the Globe, Fluto Shinzawa seems to do more -- meaning that KPD's editorial role makes him even more susceptible to competition from the "blogosphere". Anyone is entitled to an opinion, and the Web removes the need to have a printing press and newspaper to talk about the "amazing technicolor five hole" and other such nonsense.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote