Notices

KPD pisses off bloggers

Old
10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Perhaps it's because vitriol, derision and disdain are what come across in his writing?

Funny that you should mention a piece he did on Recchi, as Recchi is one of the few players in the past few years that Dupont hasn't trashed at one time or another. It's gotten worse than tiresome. "Too much Sunrise," anyone?

The best example of Dupont's attitude was a piece he wrote a few years back about his most memorable experience as a writer. He didn't write about a great game or a fantastic performance, but about Harry Sinden rampaging through the old Garden on his way to send some poor cowering schmoe to hockey Siberia. That was his most memorable experience?

Granted, serious, sad stuff happens, but bottom line, sports is supposed to be fun. I get that sense of joy from writers like Leigh Montville, or Joe Posnanski. I don't get it from Dupont - from him I get sourness and snark and Hey you kids get off my lawn. So I don't bother reading anymore.
He should have asked you what his favorite memory should be.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:29 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Yes, I know. And he wrote about it with sheer glee. I'm still flabbergasted about that. But it perfectly exemplifies his writing style.

As for Horton, Dupont continued using that ridiculous phrase even during the playoffs. Not to mention campaigning on this very board to trade he AND Seguin for Taylor Hall.
I think many have done stuff like that...part of the reason I really like him is he will throw that out there and not care or be afraid if he is wrong...Maybe it was a shortsighted trade offer at the time, but both players did look lost...He really is a fan first....and also has a job to do.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Well said. I remember Mike Brophy of THN telling me he spent 10 years riding buses in the OHL (OHA at the time) covering jr. hockey before he ever got access to his first NHL dressing room.

And since Gonzo weighed in, I figure I shall as well...

Kevin Paul Dupont is a friend and mentor, so you'll have to take my remarks with the proverbial grain of salt.

Dupes has been nothing if entertaining over the years. You don't have to like his positions, but I don't get the vitriol, the derision, the disdain for the man. I get the feeling if you sat next to him at Ristuccia during a Bruins training camp session, you'd enjoy the experience and come away with a completely different opinion of him. Of course- that's life and the internet.

But as for Dupes and his accomplishments as a sports writer- I can remember charging out the door to get my hands on the Globe as a boy to read him as Bruins beat writer and later as a columnist. Certainly didn't agree with everything he wrote over the years, but man-- the guy could write! A glorious piece he penned on Mark Recchi a few years back reminded me that although he may have lost a few MPH off the fastball, the old man can still locate pretty well.

And when I finally got the chance to meet him for the 1st time on the way to an NHL draft about 10 or so years ago- we shared a flight- and then a taxi from airport to hotel and back again- he treated me with absolute grace and respect then and that continues to this day. And I was one of those "vile" bloggers you read about. So really, it isn't about petty jealousy and bitterness as much as people would like to paint him as some kind of bogeyman of the traditional media. I think that his sarcasm does get the better of him at times, but others play into that by being hypersensitive and just looking for things to take issue with.

As the great philosophizer Ilya "Bryz" Bryzgalov once said... "Why you heff to be mad? He's good guy..."

Off the soapbox now...
I was hoping to hear from you on this!

This thread was begging for some KL balance, bro; and who better to comment -- one of the original bloggers of the hockey world.

Thanks for the weight.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I think many have done stuff like that...part of the reason I really like him is he will throw that out there and not care or be afraid if he is wrong...Maybe it was a shortsighted trade offer at the time, but both players did look lost...He really is a fan first....and also has a job to do.
If he has a job to do, why is he trolling HF boards with ridiculous trade proposals? And if he's a fan first, why did he take such delight in the vindictiveness of Harry Sinden?

It's possible that he's the nicest guy in the world, but he sure doesn't come across that way in print. He can write grammatically and turn a phrase or two now and then. But most of the time his writing, like Shaughnessy's, is an exercise in finding someone to dump on. I for one can do without it.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

KPD is entertaining to me, I certainly don't dislike the guy at all. He's good at what he does. His obsession with Dominic Moore is humorous, always got a kick out of that.

Topshelf8188 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Duguay2

Quote:
If he has a job to do, why is he trolling HF boards with ridiculous trade proposals? And if he's a fan first, why did he take such delight in the vindictiveness of Harry Sinden?

It's possible that he's the nicest guy in the world, but he sure doesn't come across that way in print. He can write grammatically and turn a phrase or two now and then. But most of the time his writing, like Shaughnessy's, is an exercise in finding someone to dump on. I for one can do without it.
I get a kick out of some wind-bags around here, who have actually convinced themselves, that their opinion is more valid than somebody like Kevin Dupont's.

KPD is troll?

That is the funniest thing I have heard all century. But you are an Editor right? So who better than to cut at the real talents' work with the snide, holier than thou remarks -- that you often grace all of us with.

Keep the humour coming Artemis. You can certainly make me laugh.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:06 PM
whitetape

Quote:
Originally posted by Duguay2
PS, his opinion on the Joe Thornton trade made me crazy, but I will tell you that he admitted (to my face) he may have been wrong on that topic, and he was kind enough to buy me a beer (or two ().... to talk about it.

He is a gentleman, and as a gentleman.....y'know
I have never met the man, and I have no doubt he was cordial and charming in his interaction with you.
I admit I may have been a bit harsh in my comments about him. But it's easy to trash somebody you have never met. Maybe that's why KPD seems so comfortable trashing hockey players.
OK, OK. Cheap shot. Still, I do deeply regret that the Globe's chief hockey writer position is occupied by a man who rarely seems to do any orginal reporting, enjoys taking cheap shots at individual players -- people even the least of whom are performing at a much higher level in their profession than he is at his -- and in general does not seem to love the game as much as we fans do.

whitetape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetape View Post
I have never met the man, and I have no doubt he was cordial and charming in his interaction with you.
I admit I may have been a bit harsh in my comments about him. But it's easy to trash somebody you have never met. Maybe that's why KPD seems so comfortable trashing hockey players.
OK, OK. Cheap shot. Still, I do deeply regret that the Globe's chief hockey writer position is occupied by a man who rarely seems to do any orginal reporting, enjoys taking cheap shots at individual players -- people even the least of whom are performing at a much higher level in their profession than he is at his -- and in general does not seem to love the game as much as we fans do.

Your opinion is just as valid as mine. But because you seem like a thoughtful, reasonable person, I will read it, weigh it and consider it. Even if I don't completely agree, even after I have run it through that process.

One or two others here are not being reasonable, and in fact, are not fair, reasonable people.

We have witnessed their work; which by the way, they guard with the bulletproof invincibility of a computer keyboard warrior.

It's too easy. It's thick. It's rich.

Last edited by Duguay2: 10-27-2012 at 02:08 PM.