HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread III (It's RGIII's Playground)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2012, 02:25 PM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Glad we lost? Is that a rhetorical question? Look, I have little faith that this is a serious contender in the playoffs this season. It's likely one and done, so I would have sat RG3 if it meant a loss, perhaps even the division if it was the right thing to do for his health longterm. I care more about him winning us 3 SuperBowls over his hopefully long and storied career, not making the 1st round of the playoffs his rookie year.
Really? Man I have a complete different feeling. With RGIII the Skins can beat anyone and are playing with a tremendous amount of confidence.

Should they win these next two games they will host that first playoff game and I can't see them losing it no matter the opponent they will probably face. It gets more dicey after that but the offense is very hard to stop so we have a shot each game.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Sure...at face value, "On any given Sunday" right??

Reality, if you take a look at the Skins roster right now with a neutral eye, they shouldn't win against the solid teams in the postseason.

There's now doubt they're streaking at the right time, but they will likely have to make it through the likes of ATL, GB, SF, SEA, NY, maybe Dal, CHI, Min.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:36 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
The Skins will simply need to out offense to keep winning with their problems on the D side. Also key rookies playing in the NFL playoffs if they make it can be a bit unpredictable.

12-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

This team still has to make the playoffs first.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
The Skins will simply need to out offense to keep winning with their problems on the D side. Also key rookies playing in the NFL playoffs if they make it can be a bit unpredictable.
Based on some of the talk earlier in the thread I went looking to see what the Redskins' record against teams currently in playoff spots (only faced 4 so far with a 2-2 record). When I was on their team page it showed them as 30th in pashing yards allowed but 6th in rushing yards allowed. In the playoffs with teams running the ball more, that should help their cause.

As for the rookies playing key roles, I think the next couple weeks will be a good indicator.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Cousins talking about his bad haircut is pretty amusing if you haven't heard it yet.

12-20-2012, 07:22 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Sure...at face value, "On any given Sunday" right??

Reality, if you take a look at the Skins roster right now with a neutral eye, they shouldn't win against the solid teams in the postseason.

There's now doubt they're streaking at the right time, but they will likely have to make it through the likes of ATL, GB, SF, SEA, NY, maybe Dal, CHI, Min.
Obviously under the assumption that they get in AND have the first game at home then chances are it would be one of SEA, NY, Dal, Chi or MIn that they would play. They have already beat 3 of those teams this year and I have no doubt they can beat CHI. SEA is tough but they are much stronger at home than they are on the road.

After that it does get tougher but it can happen. I'd actually like our chances vs ATL in a rematch. GB game would probably be a shootout. SF is a bad matchup tho

Old
12-20-2012, 02:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

3 teams we already beat. So they're even more motivated this time around.

Like Mystyle says though.....Gotta make the playoffs first and that's still far from a forgone conclusion.

Anyway, time will tell. It's nice to be excited about the Skins again, but I'm not going gaga this year. Once we have a few good drafts and start building depth, then I'll go gaga.

I'm particularly interested to see how they draft the next two years with no 1st rounder. To have successful drafts they'll have to find gems later, something they've struggled at. This will be a real test for the front office.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Don't think we could beat Atlanta, Green Bay, or San Fransisco. It would take a strong game just to hang around. We'd have a shot at knocking off Chicago or Seattle, but I wouldn't bet on us.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:59 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
I'm particularly interested to see how they draft the next two years with no 1st rounder. To have successful drafts they'll have to find gems later, something they've struggled at. This will be a real test for the front office.
I think Shanahan has done well in the later rounds so far.

Perry Riley (4th)
Hankerson (3rd)
Gomes (5th)
Paul (5th)
Royster (6th)
Aldrick Robinson (6th)
Maurice Hurt (7th)
Cousins (4th)
Keenan Robinson (4th)
Alfred Morris (6th)
Richard Crawford (7th)

All have contributed to this years success. Depth isn't where it needs to be, but its a lot better than what it ever was under Uncle Vinny's leadership. Another draft, or two, of using picks on players that can contribute and the depth will be fabulous.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I think Shanahan has done well in the later rounds so far.

Perry Riley (4th)
Hankerson (3rd)
Gomes (5th)
Paul (5th)
Royster (6th)
Aldrick Robinson (6th)
Maurice Hurt (7th)
Cousins (4th)
Keenan Robinson (4th)
Alfred Morris (6th)
Richard Crawford (7th)

All have contributed to this years success. Depth isn't where it needs to be, but its a lot better than what it ever was under Uncle Vinny's leadership. Another draft, or two, of using picks on players that can contribute and the depth will be fabulous.
Sure they've contributed...for some that's not saying much. I don't see a lot of gems in that list, just decent journeymen. Bottom line, way to early to be throwing out THAT list of players. I'm talking about building a core of talent and a perrenial contender for the Superbowl, not just hoping to make the first round...

Old
12-20-2012, 11:03 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Don't think we could beat Atlanta, Green Bay, or San Fransisco. It would take a strong game just to hang around. We'd have a shot at knocking off Chicago or Seattle, but I wouldn't bet on us.
Year 3 of a complete rebuild is when a team should make a move towards making the playoffs, not necessarily make noise if it makes the playoffs. I am happy for now with enjoying games in December that mean something. Next year I will be expecting the Skins to improve on wherever they finish this year, and playoff wins will be expected.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:15 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Sure they've contributed...for some that's not saying much. I don't see a lot of gems in that list, just decent journeymen. Bottom line, way to early to be throwing out THAT list of players. I'm talking about building a core of talent and a perrenial contender for the Superbowl, not just hoping to make the first round...
Not sure if you are being serious.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:13 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

Cousins in the 4th and Alfred Morris in the 6th?? Both of those guys would definitely be taken in the top 2 rounds if there was a do over. Thats just scratching the surface.

Hankerson, Riley, Crawford and Robinson squared have made impactful plays.

Shanahan and Allen have done well in the draft there is no doubt.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:53 AM
WetHog

Yeah there is still work to be done threw the draft, but besides the obvious in Riley and Morris starting, there are a number on that list that have contributed meaningfully throughout the season. Thats how you build a winning team. Young players filling special teams and back up roles.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

If cousins trade value is 2 2nd rounders as Charlie Casserly projects I think you have to move him. You can sure up the defense with those picks and draft a new backup QB in the later rounds.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:35 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
If cousins trade value is 2 2nd rounders as Charlie Casserly projects I think you have to move him. You can sure up the defense with those picks and draft a new backup QB in the later rounds.
I wouldn't move him until the last year of his deal. Backup QB is very important this day and age especially with a risk like RGIII. Having a cheap backup who has proven to be good and has had a year under his belt in this offense ...well I wouldn't make that trade THIS offseason. A couple years down the road if it looks like he isn't coming back then yes.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I wouldn't move him until the last year of his deal. Backup QB is very important this day and age especially with a risk like RGIII. Having a cheap backup who has proven to be good and has had a year under his belt in this offense ...well I wouldn't make that trade THIS offseason. A couple years down the road if it looks like he isn't coming back then yes.
who knows what his value could be in 2 years. 2 2nds is a alot to get in NFL and team is so thin on D because 18m cap pen and lost picks for RG3 to not cash in on cousins

Old
12-22-2012, 09:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Cousins in the 4th and Alfred Morris in the 6th?? Both of those guys would definitely be taken in the top 2 rounds if there was a do over. Thats just scratching the surface.

Hankerson, Riley, Crawford and Robinson squared have made impactful plays.

Shanahan and Allen have done well in the draft there is no doubt.
It's Year 1....but I love the enthusiam. And no, I think that's still very debatable. 1 win and 1 relief showing doesn't get you a 1st rounder today.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 12-22-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 09:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
who knows what his value could be in 2 years. 2 2nds is a alot to get in NFL and team is so thin on D because 18m cap pen and lost picks for RG3 to not cash in on cousins
If someone wants to overpay maybe but I think they have to hold onto him. RG3 is going to miss games. This looks like a great young leader and teammate. Groom him as the #2 for 2 more years, let him spell RG3 when he gets dinged and trade him when you have to at the best value point, after season 3, offseason.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:45 AM
WetHog

Polumbus out, Hurt in at RT today. Also, Montgomery playing on a grade 2 MCL sprain. The line is a question mark today.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:12 PM
WetHog

Scrub #30 burned for another TD.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:16 PM
WetHog

Rewound the old DVR to find the holding call on #51. Total ******** call. I saw the same block on Coefield when Folds bootlegged for that 1st down pass to Celek. Total lack of consistency. I guess flunked out NBA refs are getting a job in the NFL now.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

So far, doing everything wrong...

Playing the Rocky theme song is cheating...

Old
12-23-2012, 12:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow is Griffin really that tentative on the run?

Closed Thread