HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Duchene's lockout adventure in Europe

Old
11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Duchene's primadonna comments haven't made him any friends there.
I didn't take his comments as being a "primadonna" but rather being frustrated knowing that his team is better than they are performing...but I guess when you read quotes it's possible for people to find different meanings in them.

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!

vCash: 500
Good to know the coaches in Sweden are as incompetent as the ones in Colorado.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:44 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Swedish media (Sportbladet) says that Duchene wants to stay in Frölunda but they have decided not the offer him an extension.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...medium=twitter
Confirmed by the Frölunda board.

Not suprising after coach Johanssons comments about how risky it was to have Duchene as a center... Said he couldn't handle playing center, the two-way responsiblity.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:18 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Wow. It doesnt look good for Duchene. So much potential, but but...

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:11 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Wow. It doesnt look good for Duchene. So much potential, but but...
It doesn't look good. But we shouldn't forget that Frölunda always said this was 2 months and no longer. He was just a replacement coming in when they had some injuries.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
I'm not taking this as anything more than it actually is, Duchy's contract being over and their coach being pissed he called them out for being lazy.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:41 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'm not taking this as anything more than it actually is, Duchy's contract being over and their coach being pissed he called them out for being lazy.
I think so, too. On the other hand I like him more on the wing.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
I think so, too. On the other hand I like him more on the wing.
To be honest, I have always wanted him to get trained on the wing since his rookie year. I think a Landeskog - Stastny - Duchene line would be unreal and play to all of their benefits immensely. Especially because I think Duchene would be a better RW than LW based on his attacking style.

But if that makes Duchene worse and/or hurts his development, I'm not bothered by having a stacked center lineup.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
To be honest, I have always wanted him to get trained on the wing since his rookie year. I think a Landeskog - Stastny - Duchene line would be unreal and play to all of their benefits immensely. Especially because I think Duchene would be a better RW than LW based on his attacking style.

But if that makes Duchene worse and/or hurts his development, I'm not bothered by having a stacked center lineup.
main point is, they need to decide what they are going to do. They can't keep chancing his position all the time, it destroys his game.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
main point is, they need to decide what they are going to do. They can't keep chancing his position all the time, it destroys his game.
Seems the decision was already made to keep him at center when we signed PAP.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Seems the decision was already made to keep him at center when we signed PAP.
Good point. Let's hope they stick to it.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
PeterTheGreat

I think it might be time to seriously think about converting him to a winger. He just doesnt have the hockey IQ or defensive acumen to play center.

Build around Stastny-O'Reilly down the middle with Landeskog and Duchene as the all star wingers.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:37 AM
BrickAHL
No Scrubs

I think we all know that Duchene isn't good defensively but I wouldn't take the comments from the coach to seriously because it seems him and Duchene don't have a good relationship at all.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I think we all know that Duchene isn't good defensively but I wouldn't take the comments from the coach to seriously because it seems him and Duchene don't have a good relationship at all.
He was talking alot about the diffrences in playing center on the european rinks compared to the NHL-style, he basically said that Duchene couldn't handle it here. Since he "isn't used to it".

Old
11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
thedoctor
                    

I am not a +/- guy, but it's hard to imagine him being a big defensive problem at +8, with 12 points in 15 games...

the overreaction from this place about Duchene's flaws is just insane. he certainly has them, but he's freaking 21. give it time, good grief.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

The Duchene on wing experiment last year wasn't a smashing success. Of course neither was the Duchene in the middle non-experiment.

I see no reason why he couldn't be a good winger in the Patrick Kane mold.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:15 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I agree with this. I always said he would fit better on the right side.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Stop ****ing around with his position and keep him at center. If he doesn't improve or if he can't handle the defensive responsibilities then you can make the move in the offseason and give him a full training camp at wing. Moving him around week to week and playing him with different linemates all the time doesn't help anyone. It doesn't help Duchene and it screws up the other lines as well. He needs at least another full season at center before you think about pulling the plug. Keep in mind he's only 21 years old. I'm not comparing his skillset/talent to these guys but Sakic, Forsberg, Datsyuk, etc weren't great defensive players in their early 20's either.

I want to see: Landeskog-Duchene-Parenteau

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Fyi, I don't see why Duchy couldn't learn to play like Zetterberg.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Duchene hasn't looked good at wing IMO. The best situation for him is to play with a defensively responsible winger who can stay high in the offensive zone and cover for him defensively. If you watch when his line gets caught in the defensive zone 90% of the time it is a winger that is playing the center position. Duchene is usually the last man back into the defensive zone, so he ends up covering the point. This was a nightmare with Mueller and Hejduk as his wingers. Hejduk has the IQ, just not the speed. And Mueller was embarrassingly slow last year. Landeskog would be great, but Duchene isn't a very good puck distributor. So it would be a waste playing a shooter with him. I don't see PAP being a good fit either. Not sure what the answer is looking at our roster.

His hockey IQ is definitely questionable IMO. And hearing that he wasn't any better in Folunda isn't good news.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:29 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Duchene hasn't looked good at wing IMO. The best situation for him is to play with a defensively responsible winger who can stay high in the offensive zone and cover for him defensively. If you watch when his line gets caught in the defensive zone 90% of the time it is a winger that is playing the center position. Duchene is usually the last man back into the defensive zone, so he ends up covering the point. This was a nightmare with Mueller and Hejduk as his wingers. Hejduk has the IQ, just not the speed. And Mueller was embarrassingly slow last year. Landeskog would be great, but Duchene isn't a very good puck distributor. So it would be a waste playing a shooter with him. I don't see PAP being a good fit either. Not sure what the answer is looking at our roster.

His hockey IQ is definitely questionable IMO. And hearing that he wasn't any better in Folunda isn't good news.
Although this is true, I will always believe it is due to him playing the left side. He is more suited to play right wing. If you watch him when he plays center, 90% of the time he is on the right side especially when entering the offensive zone. He can't do that when playing LW so he is having a hard time adjusting because his game needs to change completely. Playing RW would not demand such a change for him and would take away a lot of his defensive responsibilities therefore helping him concentrate on his O game.

Give him ten games on the right side and I strongly believe you'll see a much better performance from him than on the left side.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I am not a +/- guy, but it's hard to imagine him being a big defensive problem at +8, with 12 points in 15 games...

the overreaction from this place about Duchene's flaws is just insane. he certainly has them, but he's freaking 21. give it time, good grief.
lol, seriously. Landeskog has fewer points in more games in a second-tier league but let's drag Duchene over coals because he doesn't have "hockey IQ".

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Swedish media (Sportbladet) says that Duchene wants to stay in Frölunda but they have decided not the offer him an extension.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...medium=twitter
Confirmed by the Frölunda board.
Club president won't rule out an extension, per local paper. Center Mikael Johansson may be out longer with a wrist injury, giving Frolunda the loophole to re-sign Duchene.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:42 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
lol, seriously. Landeskog has fewer points in more games in a second-tier league but let's drag Duchene over coals because he doesn't have "hockey IQ".
It getting really annoying listening to people in here rant about how poor Matt Duchene is or how his hockey IQ is terrible or how he is lazy etc. None of them are the truth.

I agree with you. Matt has played fairly well with a not super skilled team in Frolunda, the coach is just pissed at Matt because he called the team out for poor play and it makes the coach look bad for not doing it, so that explains that riff. Matt's teammates seem to like him, which means he is not creating problems in the locker room. And with minimal talent around him has managed 12pts and +8 rating which means he most likely is playing pretty decent hockey.

I wouldn't worry about Landeskog either, I think he made a bad choice to go play for a B rate team due to his allegiances. There is no skill on that team, the coach sucks, I think he has shut it down so he doesn't get hurt, and he is getting really frustrated. The best thing for him would be to get out of there ASAP.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
It getting really annoying listening to people in here rant about how poor Matt Duchene is or how his hockey IQ is terrible or how he is lazy etc. None of them are the truth.

I agree with you. Matt has played fairly well with a not super skilled team in Frolunda, the coach is just pissed at Matt because he called the team out for poor play and it makes the coach look bad for not doing it, so that explains that riff. Matt's teammates seem to like him, which means he is not creating problems in the locker room. And with minimal talent around him has managed 12pts and +8 rating which means he most likely is playing pretty decent hockey.

I wouldn't worry about Landeskog either, I think he made a bad choice to go play for a B rate team due to his allegiances. There is no skill on that team, the coach sucks, I think he has shut it down so he doesn't get hurt, and he is getting really frustrated. The best thing for him would be to get out of there ASAP.

Next game is the last one for Landeskog. We do have a new coach from 5 games ago, 4 wins 1 loss

Glory is offline   Reply With Quote