HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

pros/cons of using a whippier stick?

Old
09-02-2012, 08:23 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
pros/cons of using a whippier stick?

I started out with a very basic wood stick, senior 95 flex. After cutting it down a few inches, It was probably more like 110 flex. I had absolutely NO flex whatsoever, not surprising at all since I'm female and don't have a lot of upper body strength and I'm only 5'7"

I got an intermediate stick, 75 flex. cut down, it's now about 85. I can get a little bit of flex on it, but only if I really, really push down on it. Which means that when I'm actually taking shots, it's no flex at all. If I am standing still on the ice and really push, putting all of my focus into getting flex, I can get it. Before I cut my stick, the 75 actually flexed pretty nicely - but it was too long, so the cut was made.

I'm thinking that perhaps a 65 flex would be better for me -then when cut, it should be around 75, and perhaps I can start getting flex without having to concentrate so much on it. I know the stick will be a bit whippier but what are the downsides to that?

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:35 AM
RoyalGremlin
The future is now.

Maybe try to find a senior stick that has low flex like 67, then cut it down to a 75, you should get some whip on that, especially if you have a good curve on it, it helps with torque.

edit: i see you have already thought of that, go for it.

RoyalGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Live1evil

Definitely get a whippier stick. Intermediate sticks might be the way to go since they come shorter and have lower flexes.

Also check out: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1132817

It goes into much more detail about stick specs and things to consider when buying.

Live1evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:58 AM
AD1066

Less durable, worse for slap shots.

Better for wrist shots and elevating the puck quickly.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:46 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Get a whippier stick. I'm 5'5" and I use a 60 flex. I've played for about 15 years. A whippier stick will help make your shot a lot better. I work with a lot of high level female players and majority are in a 65 flex stick. Those in a 75 flex are generally taller players, or defensemen who take more slapshots. Only the girls around 6 ft are using an 85.

If you are 5'7" and get a 65 flex you might not have to cut much off, if any. It won't be any more than a 70 after you cut it. Give it a try, I guarantee it will help your game. There are no downsides to a whippier flex in your situation.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:06 PM
flyers10

Get an intermediate 60/65 flex. I use an 80/82 flex uncut and I'm 6'1 180. I have no problem ripping slappers. The lower is much better for learning proper shooting technique. You'll take far more wrist,snap shots anyway.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:18 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I started out with a very basic wood stick, senior 95 flex. After cutting it down a few inches, It was probably more like 110 flex. I had absolutely NO flex whatsoever, not surprising at all since I'm female and don't have a lot of upper body strength and I'm only 5'7"

I got an intermediate stick, 75 flex. cut down, it's now about 85. I can get a little bit of flex on it, but only if I really, really push down on it. Which means that when I'm actually taking shots, it's no flex at all. If I am standing still on the ice and really push, putting all of my focus into getting flex, I can get it. Before I cut my stick, the 75 actually flexed pretty nicely - but it was too long, so the cut was made.

I'm thinking that perhaps a 65 flex would be better for me -then when cut, it should be around 75, and perhaps I can start getting flex without having to concentrate so much on it. I know the stick will be a bit whippier but what are the downsides to that?
didnt you just start playing recently, a few months or so? go with the whippier stick. it will be much easier to develop technique than to first have to over power the flex of the stick.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 03:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Yes, I started playing in March.

I've noticed that when I'm standing still and taking shots, I can get the flex only if I really focus on it and push down hard on the ice. I'm pretty sure that there's no way in hell that I'll ever be able to do that when I'm taking a shot in a game - no opponent is going to wait for me to stop skating, push down on the shaft and try to get the flex on it.

My 75 is much better than the original 95 I was playing with - that one, I couldn't get any flex no matter how hard I pushed on it. But the difference in flex that I could get before I had it cut and after was noticeable. I can still get a tiny bit of flex - but as I said, only when I'm pretty much standing still and giving 100% focus to getting the flex.

I'm going to stop by the store today and see what they have. I wouldn't mind something similar to what I currently have (easton synergy 20) but in a 65. I found a few online that looked promising, but I'd rather try them out. Plus, they'll cut and tape it for me at the LHS...and I could play with it at my games tonight and tomorrow instead of having to wait!

Old
09-02-2012, 04:54 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post

Completely incorrect.

They aren't flimsier and the changes in shooting depends entirely on the shooter and their technique.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
A stick considered whippy for players of certain size can benefit them if they prefer taking wristers and snappers.

I've seen quite a few people bring two sticks to a game not because they want a back up stick, but because they switch flexes depending on what position they're playing that day.

e.g. I'm 5'10 170lbs, I go with 75 as forward and 85 as defense.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:16 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Just depends on how much work you want to do, and how much work you want your stick to do.

Example: I'm 6'4 190 and use 75 flex sticks with an inch and a half extension. I can flex a 100 just fine, but prefer to let my stick do more of the work.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:46 PM
AIREAYE

An excellent point as well ^

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:15 PM
RoyalGremlin
The future is now.

if you're right handed, find a kessel pro stock stick, his is super whippy but super strong, never seen him snap his stick

RoyalGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
if you're right handed, find a kessel pro stock stick, his is super whippy but super strong, never seen him snap his stick
Pros usually snap their stick from hacks, slashes and massive wind up slap shots.

You'll see hard nosed defenders and guys who like to take slappers break their stick a lot more often.

e.g. I've never seen Henrik Sedin break his stick (aside from this one time Bolland chopped it in half).

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:23 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I picked up a warrior bandito. It turns out my Easton was 65 flex (I could've sworn the guy at the shop told me 75 when I bought it, but I may be remembering wrong), but with the cut it was probably more like 80. The warrior is 65 and was exactly the length of my old stick, but without having to cut it.

I played last night with it and took a few shots at warmup and I do think it will make a big difference. My wristers have never been fast or hard, but I'd say they were about 50% faster than before, and more accurate. I did have a few goofy passes, the curve is a little different so I'll need to get used to that, but overall the stick felt great.

My husband was there for the last 15 minutes of the game and he suggested I practice shooting. I told him I'd love to, but I need a practice pad, etc. he's offered to go to home depot and pick up what I need. I think if I had mentioned it, he would have balked. But since it's HIS idea....it gives him a project to do, so he'll feel useful!

Old
09-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Guffaw

6'2" 175 ish, full length uncut sticks.

I started with an 85, went to a 100, now back to 85. All Eastons.

I prefer the 85.

Hard to argue with preference, but if you want the most powerful shot then use the highest flex stick you can actually flex. I'm not heavy enough or strong enough to flex a 100.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
ponder

I'm a guy, around 6' tall, 180 lbs, have been playing hockey for almost 20 years, and I generally prefer 75 flex seniors to 85 flex seniors (depending on the brand). I definitely think you should be using an intermediate stick as a 5'7" girl, in fact I think an intermediate would be perfect even for a lot of very experienced 5'7" guys.

Another question, how long are you cutting your sticks? I think a lot of newer players leave them too long, and an overly long stick can make everything more difficult, not just stick handling but shooting too. I'd say a good starting point for stick length is roughly chin height when you're in your skates, with the stick vertical in front of you with the tip of the blade on the ice. Obviously if you're cutting a stick down significantly, it's got to be flexible enough to start with so that it doesn't turn into a lead pipe.

As for just getting flex when you're shooting in general, I think Kovalev has some good tips in this video:

If you can get past the choppy English, there's some good advice there. Especially around the middle of the video where he talks about getting your body weight forward, towards the net, not back. You want to really get your balance/weight forward and aggressive, towards the net, and have nice steady pressure on your stick throughout the shot. You also want to make sure you're cupping the puck (so your blade is closed) early in the shot, this really helps you generate flex and power. Bad shooters have their blade open, their weight back, and just sort of chip at the puck, while good shooters have their weight forward, their blade closed (early in the shot, at least), and get steady pressure throughout the shot.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I got a 65 flex Reebok 6K and it was way soft, but after chopping off a few inches so it came to my collar bone (in skates) the flex was perfect.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 06:17 PM
noobman

Most people tend to use a flex that's too stiff for them. The general rule of thumb is half your body weight (in pounds) although you have to consider how strong you are as well.

I'm 6'2 and approximately 225 pounds, although my upper body strength isn't that great. I can get by with a 100 flex stick but have much better wristers using an 85 flex stick. I do find that a whippier stick causes me to flub passes a lot more for whatever reason.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Speaking as a 5'8 200 pound guy who uses 67 flex sticks, I am confident there will be no downside for you as a 5'7 female. That's usually what female D1 college players use.

If money is an issue, check out the new Nexus 600. I've had my eye on it but at ~$100 and it's a little whippier than most intermediates, that would be right in your wheel house, flex-wise.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Ozolinsh_27

As a 5'7 female, I use jr sticks for whippiness. Also my hands get sore whenever I use a senior stick. The problem with using a jr stick is they're not long enough and I have to put a wood plug in to add some length; that and when they wear down they seem too whippy. Quite awhile ago I was using intermediates and found them to be too stiff, since I switched over to jr sticks I find my slapshot has turned into a rocket compared to before and my wristers are still decent.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:04 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I'm 5'6 and uses a 67 flex cut down to around 72, the downside of a whippier stick is not slapshot. You can change your technique and make the stick do all the work for that.

For me it's hard, fast one timers that gives me problem. Felt like either the stick is too whippy or the blade torques too much because of the pressure. I'm still researching on that though

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:41 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
As a 5'7 female, I use jr sticks for whippiness. Also my hands get sore whenever I use a senior stick. The problem with using a jr stick is they're not long enough and I have to put a wood plug in to add some length; that and when they wear down they seem too whippy. Quite awhile ago I was using intermediates and found them to be too stiff, since I switched over to jr sticks I find my slapshot has turned into a rocket compared to before and my wristers are still decent.
I use a jr with an extension too. It's been my favorite stick so far.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Ethereal Whisper
La Reine des Neiges

vCash: 444
I'm 6'1" 185 and use a 70 flex. I pretend like I can take slap shots every once in a while but I'm really kidding myself.

It's not cut down at all and feels great, I can move/lift/snap the puck pretty easily with such a low flex for my height/strength.

Ethereal Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post

I only feel that's true if you're strong. I'm your average guy that sits at a desk for work and doesn't go to the gym to work out. I use a 65 flex intermediate stick and still put on a wooden end plug. Both my slap shots and wrist shots improved significantly when I tried a whippier flex because you don't have to put much effort into your shot. A whippier flex definitely takes some getting used to and isn't for everybody but I would say trying going with a really whippy stick just once. Give it a few games to get the hang of it because even handling the puck will feel different. You might find it suits you better.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote