HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post
Any one have any good core and lower back exercises?

if you're able to do them properly,
deadlifts = pc (posterior chain)

Old
11-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Again if you're talking about health I'd rather have lean gains by eating complex carbs than the simple carbs you get from white flour. A lot of diets aren't only for shedding fat... My friend that's bulking doesn't touch that stuff and he's on a pretty strict diet, he's looking to compete though.

Anyways it all depends on someones goal. But if someone's asking me for health tips I'm not going to suggest white flour for their macronutrients...
I'm not suggesting it either, and I hardly ever eat white bread. I'm just saying that this kind of stuff gets over-exaggerated sometimes.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:15 AM
NYR89

Thinking about running a marathon in June and I am trying to come up with a good training plan. I run 8 miles or so in 80ish minutes so I am in decent enough shape but definitely need to get it together a little bit more. Any suggestions on combining weight training and running together or any other tips?

Old
11-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Captain Saku

Lost 12 lbs in less than a month

Old
11-27-2012, 09:49 AM
blue425

Bad ass Saku! Keep at it.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:11 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Taking a break from drinking, or at least dramatically cutting back. Two days in, should be 3 after tonight. Not worried about weeknights... but weekends are going to be a *****. All I know to do on the weekends is to get trashed while watching sports. I guess it's easier with no hockey games to watch all night.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Taking a break from drinking, or at least dramatically cutting back. Two days in, should be 3 after tonight. Not worried about weeknights... but weekends are going to be a *****. All I know to do on the weekends is to get trashed while watching sports. I guess it's easier with no hockey games to watch all night.
Are you trying to cut back on drinking in general or beer?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:57 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Are you trying to cut back on drinking in general or beer?
Yes.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Bad ass Saku! Keep at it.
Thanks. I still have 5 lbs to go to hit my short term objectives and 12 more to hit long term objectives.

I actually lost more than 15 lbs since about 2 months, I was 208 lbs. I started by just cutting off my daily calories intake, but things were going slowly and with no hockey I decided to hit the gym, started in november for 6 times a week. Now I'm 193 lbs trying to hit 187 lbs before the end of the year and sustain it to 175 lbs as a long term objective (hopefully by summer time). It's really not easy but when you see the results you just cant wait to hit the gym again, I've never went lower than 195 lbs in the past 4 yrs.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
bassassin

Whats the general view on, glucosamine & chondritin, multi-vitamins, cod liver oil.

Ordered them all after being pissed off with the recovery time of my bicep tendonitis, are they vital to physical health, bull **** or not necessary with a good diet or what?

What are peoples views/experiences?

Old
11-27-2012, 03:06 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Whats the general view on, glucosamine & chondritin, multi-vitamins, cod liver oil.

Ordered them all after being pissed off with the recovery time of my bicep tendonitis, are they vital to physical health, bull **** or not necessary with a good diet or what?

What are peoples views/experiences?
A large amount of glucosamine + condroitin supplements are absolute crap from China. Very few G+C products are legit and those that are, are expensive.

I personally take a men's generic one-a-day from Target. The label is exactly the same as a "name" brand multi, for a third of the price. Other specialized multis are terribly overpriced.

If going the fish oil route, check out Krill oil. I'm an Omega/Fishy guy myself, but will probably switch to Krill when I get rid of my 18 month supply of Fish Oil.

As for your situation, I personally haven't been hurt in about a decade and that was before I started supplementing soooo, Iuno. I swear by Fish Oils and multis though.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

There are some advantages to multi-vitamins. If you're going to take one go for Progressive, one of the best ones on the market.

As far as oil's go, Udo's oil is by far my favorite.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Kitten Mittons

I've been feeling extremely tired and sleepy after workouts lately. I come out the gym fine but once I get home, shower, and eat, I crash (can't nap but just laying here motionless like a dead man). The variables haven't changed, if anything, I'm eating more now but I have zero energy and it kinda ruins my day. Don't think I'm overtraining, took a day off yesterday and had plenty of energy during the day. Anyone experience this?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:31 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I've been feeling extremely tired and sleepy after workouts lately. I come out the gym fine but once I get home, shower, and eat, I crash (can't nap but just laying here motionless like a dead man). The variables haven't changed, if anything, I'm eating more now but I have zero energy and it kinda ruins my day. Don't think I'm overtraining, took a day off yesterday and had plenty of energy during the day. Anyone experience this?
Do you take a pre-workout?

Old
12-04-2012, 10:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Man, I've taken almost two weeks off. I gotta get back into working out. My diet hasn't been as good either. I need to get motivated again.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
Do you take a pre-workout?
Never have in my life and I didn't have a sleeping problem before.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:15 AM
PZA*
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Quote:
It's normal to feel tired after you work out.. it means you busted your ass in the gym. Or it could mean that you are starting to settle in a work out routine which takes time to get use to. Since you used all of your muscle glycogen up in the gym, I suggest you consume some fast digesting sugars or carbs (fruits, white potatoes, bread, etc) right after your work outs to spike your insulin levels up back to normal... see if you feel any better afterwards.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:03 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Do you really dislike leftovers?
I just make a few blunders which throws everything off. For instance, on Monday I made whole wheat pasta with chicken & veggie sauce. Tuesday morning I boxed up two servings to bring to work, and then promptly left them on the counter at home. I did go to the cafeteria at work but I got pasta and veggies from Sbarro. I should be able to remember to bring the ******* leftovers this time.

I'm thinking of starting a thread w/ like a pic of my daily weight and previous day's eating / times / workout.

Quote:
I only actually cook something twice a week, sometimes only once. My work has a cafeteria though, so I don't have to make lunches, only dinners.

As for combatting that craving, try to just have a light snack at that time, say an apple or some carrots or the like, to calm the craving down a bit until you eat dinner. You have to get your body used to not eating a lot at that time.
Yeah I'm getting a little better - really trying to get this "2 servings of veggies per 1 serving of meat" thing down. Usually steaming veggies the night before, as long as I don't bleeping forget them the next day.

Quote:
I also don't have to deal with the pre-diabetic thing either though, so I can't comment on what's needed for that.
A few pills to protect my kidneys, nothing more. However it is disheartening taking medication.

Quote:
Edit:
I realized I only made half my point regarding the craving. Lightly snacking throughout the day helped me a lot with that craving late in the day and then if I still got the craving I'd have something light again. I used raisins specifically, after lunch I'd snack on a couple of those mini boxes of raisins throughout the afternoon and then eventually I dropped the raisins and I almost never get that late afternoon craving anymore. It also helped me with portion control, since I wasn't as hungry at full meals.
Bringing trail mix to work today. Fingers crossed!

Old
12-05-2012, 07:53 AM
blue425

Building a rock wall at work (middle school PE, its not for the kids). Ordered all the holds yesterday and the board will either be anywhere from 4 x 4 - 6 x 4. Going to wait till we get the holds to decide. Once it is completed we are going to mount it on volleyball polls, we did this last year with a 2 x 6 and it worked wonderfully.

I must say I am quite excited about it, it will replace my pull ups/chin ups one day of my workout.

That said I am back to pull ups and chin ups. My arm held up nicely just now and my numbers really didn't take a hit at all. I was worried it would put me out for a while.

How is everyone else doing?

Old
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
RayP

Quote:
Building a rock wall at work (middle school PE, its not for the kids). Ordered all the holds yesterday and the board will either be anywhere from 4 x 4 - 6 x 4. Going to wait till we get the holds to decide. Once it is completed we are going to mount it on volleyball polls, we did this last year with a 2 x 6 and it worked wonderfully.

I must say I am quite excited about it, it will replace my pull ups/chin ups one day of my workout.

That said I am back to pull ups and chin ups. My arm held up nicely just now and my numbers really didn't take a hit at all. I was worried it would put me out for a while.

How is everyone else doing?
That sounds pretty cool... you'll have to take pictures of it.

Been pretty good over here. Been extremely active of late. Haven't used my car in probably two weeks now, nothing but the bike for everything, or walking. Hitting the gym 5 days a week, and 1 day I hit the running path. Also been taking the dog for 45-60 minute walks a few times a week... and cut back big time on drinking.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Just a quick update on myself from my post a few pages back;

I'm down 18 pounds since October 24th. All I've been doing is counting calories. I've cut back on eating out of course, but I still eat out from time to time and don't always eat healthy, I'm just making sure to keep my calories in check. Before someone bashes that, I am eating a lot healthier than I was. I had a bad habit of working out for 3 weeks, then crashing hard on a strict diet and eating horribly for months. This time, after starting with a strict diet, I was getting bored and decided to just count calories. It's working, and I'm happy. I'm down almost 5 inches on my waist as well, which is definitely inspiring. I feel great most days (except a few bad cheat days where I had pizza and poutine).

I've slowed down at the gym (I was going 3-5 times a week when I started), but I've only went two times in the last two weeks after I tweaked my knee. I've been doing a little upper body stuff at home, but I'm pretty disappointed because I was making huge strides on my running. I'm pumped to get back though and my knee is starting to feel better (I injured it about a year ago doing box jumps - stupid decision at my weight then).

I do have starting pictures and I'm excited to take pictures at 6-months. I'll definitely post the pictures here when I hit my 6-month mark.

Let's go!

Old
12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Just a quick update on myself from my post a few pages back;

I'm down 18 pounds since October 24th. All I've been doing is counting calories. I've cut back on eating out of course, but I still eat out from time to time and don't always eat healthy, I'm just making sure to keep my calories in check. Before someone bashes that, I am eating a lot healthier than I was. I had a bad habit of working out for 3 weeks, then crashing hard on a strict diet and eating horribly for months. This time, after starting with a strict diet, I was getting bored and decided to just count calories. It's working, and I'm happy. I'm down almost 5 inches on my waist as well, which is definitely inspiring. I feel great most days (except a few bad cheat days where I had pizza and poutine).

I've slowed down at the gym (I was going 3-5 times a week when I started), but I've only went two times in the last two weeks after I tweaked my knee. I've been doing a little upper body stuff at home, but I'm pretty disappointed because I was making huge strides on my running. I'm pumped to get back though and my knee is starting to feel better (I injured it about a year ago doing box jumps - stupid decision at my weight then).

I do have starting pictures and I'm excited to take pictures at 6-months. I'll definitely post the pictures here when I hit my 6-month mark.

Let's go!
Awesome. Look after those macros.

Interested in seeing pictures... Does that sound a little creepy? Haha

Old
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
If you sleep w/ a gf ask her to see if you stop breathing during sleep. Probably not the case but just something to check for so you know it's not an issue.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
If you sleep w/ a gf ask her to see if you stop breathing during sleep. Probably not the case but just something to check for so you know it's not an issue.
Well thank you very much for making me feel lonely, bro!

Old
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Quote:
Well thank you very much for making me feel lonely, bro!
Only way I found out. And I couldn't even do anything about it till 7 years later when I got out of college, got a decent job and got good insurance. CPAP machine cost a lot but 80% of it is covered by insurance. God knows how much I wrecked my body until then. Now when I wake up in the morning I feel completely refreshed.

Closed Thread