HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 02:43 AM
KingKopitar11*

vCash: 500
I've seen rival gangs compromise more efficiently than this **** of a league

Old
10-22-2012, 02:59 AM
Ribban

If this lockout goes on for long enough.... I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Bettman & Co. are to explain to NBC that the Winter Classic isn't happening so much this year... bummer, bro!

Old
10-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Soundwave

Would an attendance boycott of the first 2 games of the season work?

Not a huge deal, but it would be a strong message to send to have the players and owners arrive to empty arenas.

I'd like to see some online movement get behind that.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:46 AM
Tyrolean

Problem is fans don't have a unified voice to make their displeasure felt. One poster had the right idea as to do what they do in Europe, but in N.A. it is a different culture.

I don't their their is enough fans to have a sort of fan union in the 1st place.

Of course if they cancel en entire season, maybe there will be so much bitterness than you don't need an organized voice amongst the fans, but I doubt that will happen.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:37 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
If this lockout goes on for long enough.... I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Bettman & Co. are to explain to NBC that the Winter Classic isn't happening so much this year... bummer, bro!
I suspect that this has already been discussed and that NBC already knows that if a deal isn't reached by a certain date, the there will be no Winter Classic

Old
10-22-2012, 09:25 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 2000
As much as I love the idea of a boycott, it wont happen.

In Columbus, a couple hundred fans showed up on a Sunday evening for a commercial video shoot for their Join The Battle 2012-13 campaign. If people wont stay away from commercial shoot when the NHL is locked out in Columbus, you sure as heck aint gonna get people to boycott anything NHL related in traditional hockey markets.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:40 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

A boycott should last for the same number of games that end up canceled when the lockout is over.

I would prefer a realisable boycott, one where we the fans upon raising for the anthems, would stay standing for the first 5 minutes of the play, with our backs turned to the game. It would be a wordless yet a strong message.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I've seen rival gangs compromise more efficiently than this **** of a league
The PA's mysterious 4th proposal was for Bettman and Fehr to settle things with a knife fight dance like on the "Beat It" music video.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Astoria
#ILEquestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The PA's mysterious 4th proposal was for Bettman and Fehr to settle things with a knife fight dance like on the "Beat It" music video.
LOL! Fehr and Bettman settle this whole thing Cage Match style at Madison Square Gardens.... tickets are free for fans (fans of the game, not fans of these two...not that there are too many, but I digress).... Put that crap on NBC and TSN.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyllia View Post
LOL! Fehr and Bettman settle this whole thing Cage Match style at Madison Square Gardens.... tickets are free for fans (fans of the game, not fans of these two...not that there are too many, but I digress).... Put that crap on NBC and TSN.
Na a no hold bar match would be better. Na a lumberjack match with fans outside the ring.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Ari91

The wrestling references have been running rampant lately, lol.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

It's just not realistic to have any sort of long or short-term impact. You're wasting your time.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
The wrestling references have been running rampant lately, lol.
I think that where the dispute should be settled in the ring.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:48 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
UGH, I don't want to be "that" guy but...

I don't why so many fans have this sense of entitlement. To me, screaming that the NHLPA and owners are fighting over "our money" is just as bad as the old man yelling at a Police Officer that he "pays his salary". The league doesn't "owe" us anything, but by the same token we owe the league nothing (and are free to substitute to other sports).

That being said, I support the power of numbers (maybe the fans should create a union....) and respect the idea of having a petition. I would likely sign it as well. It's not like I'm gonna buy merchandise, and I want hockey back.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:40 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
UGH, I don't want to be "that" guy but...

I don't why so many fans have this sense of entitlement. To me, screaming that the NHLPA and owners are fighting over "our money" is just as bad as the old man yelling at a Police Officer that he "pays his salary". The league doesn't "owe" us anything, but by the same token we owe the league nothing (and are free to substitute to other sports).

That being said, I support the power of numbers (maybe the fans should create a union....) and respect the idea of having a petition. I would likely sign it as well. It's not like I'm gonna buy merchandise, and I want hockey back.
If there is an entitlement it would be that you or me, as a longtime season ticket holders, cannot actually do anything, to show how pissed we are at the situation. We can't do anything because if we decide to not renew our seasonal engagement, there are 1000s of people waiting behind us to take our place. And that, the owners and the players know it, and that's why they don't give a **** that you've invested a small fortune the last 5 or 10 years into their hockey.

That's why some people want to voice their anger in a polite yet noticable way.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:21 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoublues29 View Post
It's just not realistic to have any sort of long or short-term impact. You're wasting your time.
This sort of mentality only comes from those who are too soft to put in the effort to make the boycott work.

Again, i will not be buying tickets to games or merchandise for years to come. If enough people do this, the owners, the leauge and the players will feel the pain.......and its well deserved.

It doesnt mean you cant watch hockey. In my case, the channel isnt an added expense, its part of our most basic cable package......the extra money being spent on tickets and other merchandise ( clothing, memorabilia ) will no longer be coming from my wallet.

BOYCOTT THE NHL AND ALL OF ITS PRODUCTS !!

Old
10-28-2012, 12:30 PM
MoneyandJohnny

It just wont happen. You can have a 1000 people say they wont buy tickets to a game but that will just be cancelled out by another 1000 people who now will have an opportunity to buy tickets.

You need a massive amount of people standing behind something for it to have an impact and frankly no one has come up with a call to rally behind yet. All these little fan boycotts and rallies amount to nothing.

Until someone comes up with a new idea to rally people, you wont see me support any of these time wasters.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

I have an idea: Research what baseball fans did after 1994, and do the same. The MLB was hurt badly (Avg. attendance down by TWENTY PERCENT!!!) and they haven't had a lockout since because of how bad it hurt them in the long run and how they did not want to go down this same road.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:21 PM
htpwn

Sportsnet has been running a petition on Facebook for the last couple weeks that they plan to eventually pass to both parties. Kind of hypocritical really, as the network is owned by Rogers who of course owns 33.5% of the Leafs.

Anyway, one of their anti-lockout promotional stunts at Yorkdale Mall in suburban Toronto:

Old
10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Sportsnet has been running a petition on Facebook for the last couple weeks that they plan to eventually pass to both parties. Kind of hypocritical really, as the network is owned by Rogers who of course owns 33.5% of the Leafs.

Anyway, one of their anti-lockout promotional stunts at Yorkdale Mall in suburban Toronto:

Love it.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
It just wont happen. You can have a 1000 people say they wont buy tickets to a game but that will just be cancelled out by another 1000 people who now will have an opportunity to buy tickets.

You need a massive amount of people standing behind something for it to have an impact and frankly no one has come up with a call to rally behind yet. All these little fan boycotts and rallies amount to nothing.

Until someone comes up with a new idea to rally people, you wont see me support any of these time wasters.
Is it really that hard to spend your money on something else, or just keep it in your wallet? I understand some have to pay to just watch their team from afar, but beyond that it should be fairly easy.

I'm sure the teams and players are expecting dramatic drops off the bat, but making it a longer lasting effort will only do positive thinking on behalf of the owners and players towards the fans. It's like watching wrestling, you know what they're saying is fake, but you listen/watch anyways. It's so cliche to just say you care about the fans and it's a big reason why they do what they do.

I'll tell you that's just a bonus on top of a "$$$$Fat paying job.$$$$"

In the real world we are truly the voice and their meal ticket, the only way too hurt them is in their wallet. Supply and demand is a spineless devil.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

im totally for this. they know they can get away with this crap because the fans ALWAYS come back, and they know this.

i love hockey, and i love my team, and it would be extremely hard to boycott it, however, if it needs to be done to send a message, im down for it.

im tired of this league and the players giving a big "****** YOU" to the fans--the ones that make this league run. we need to fire a shot across their bow just to let them know, unfortunately , it prob wont happen bc hockey fans have an "unconditional" love
for the game.

wtf was wrong with the owners last proposal?? 50/50 whats the issue??? i hated the owners for this, now i hate the players. this sucks!!!!!!!

Old
11-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Otter

I'm in. Screw these clowns.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
heat89

Old
11-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Dojji*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Is it really that hard to spend your money on something else, or just keep it in your wallet?
Me, personally? Not hard at all. But then someone else who doesn't care about boycotts takes his money out of his wallet and fills my seat, the owner still makes his pile, and I'm cheated out of a beloved entertainment experience. The only one I screw over in any imaginable way is myself.

Closed Thread