HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 01:43 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Not really. All you're really saying is that the owners in baseball created a model they were happier with than the NHL. The existence of massive national and local TV deals certainly helps, but since when was the average businessman happy with their current profits and not thinking about how much more they could get out from their employees?

If they thought that they could get away with it, like how the NHL clearly still thinks they can, I'm sure they'd be pushing for much more back from the players, too.
The Pirates have had a losing season for 20 years now..... That owner is more than happy to pocket 40+ million a year , while providing a crap product on the field that people STILL pay to see.

You would a complete idiot in MLB to spend on your team, when people will pay to see it anyway.

The owners in MLB have found out the dirty dark secret of Baseball.

It's America's past time, you don't have to win in MLB to make money.

So why would you spend money ? when you make money for simple doing nothing(but going through the motions).

Also in MLB if you spend a certain amount of money, you get bumped out of the (welfare) Luxary tax bracket....

You would be crazy not to let the Yankee's/Redsox's pay for your payroll.

The Oakland A's have had a payroll over 70 million ONCE in the last DECADE. The same can be said for about 15 teams in MLB.

So don't give me that crud about MLB being scared of fan backlash.
It has everything to do with MLB providing a system that makes EVERY owner money... Why do you think every High priced player ends up on Big money teams ? Cause they know their small market owner is not going to pay them...

MLB is the worst system to try to emulate or follow.

Last edited by damacles1156: 11-20-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I was going to spend money on the NHL the next couple years, but now I'm not. Specifically, I was planing on buying several Blackhawks tickets, getting a new white Kane sweater, a new hat, NHL 13, and obviously some other ancillary purchases that aren't planned ahead of time such as concessions at games. That means at least a few hundred dollars that was going to gladly go to the NHL, and specifically the Blackhawks as I was going to get the gear at the official Blackhawks store on Michigan Ave. or in the United Center itself, that they're not going to get now.

I don't get why you're not comprehending this. Me watching TV has zero impact on it as they have no way of knowing if I'm watching to begin with. If a significant chunk of NHL fans did the same thing as me, purchasing no tickets, no apparel, no videogames, the NHL's bottom line would hurt in a big way and they'd have a major incentive to try to prevent future lockouts. If fans just return, like enough probably will, then there will remain no incentive.

If fans want to organize a specific and targeted boycott against a couple of the NHL's sponsors, then I'd be on board there, too. Would love to see an organized response like that, a la Canadians boycotting Molson's products in response to Habs opposition to letting in the WHA teams in the 1970's.
It doesn't matter if your not counted in the ratings, the fact is unless you boycott the sponsors your not actually boycotting anything.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
25Bieksa3

Frankly, after Bettman annouced the league is losing 18-20 mil a day, but decided to not conede $180 mil in the make whole proposal, I can only come to two conslusions, either:

a) Bettman is confident the lockout will be over in 9-10 days. In which case I am glad this will be over, a 50-game season may be salvaged and we can all move on with our lives,

OR

b) This is only about egos now, and I will never commit another dollar of my money to this broken league again. I will still love hockey and players, but will only consume their merchandise on international, CHL, or AHL levels. If the NHL goes bankrupt and a bigger and better league rises from the ashes, then so be it.

Closed Thread