HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
I would support the whole "everyone leaves their seats for the first 5 minutes" deal 100%

Old
10-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Comely

I find the people who are saying its all the greedy players fault rather humourous. The players have said they will take a lower percentage and have made offers that bring thier percentage down, they just arent willing to take an immediate cut. I honestly feel that the players are being far more reasonable and the NHL as a whole made money last year so why not just come up with a plan that reduces the percentage year by year? Why is it so important to the NHL that they get a roll back on next years salaries?

Old
10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
I find the people who are saying its all the greedy players fault rather humourous. The players have said they will take a lower percentage and have made offers that bring thier percentage down, they just arent willing to take an immediate cut. I honestly feel that the players are being far more reasonable and the NHL as a whole made money last year so why not just come up with a plan that reduces the percentage year by year? Why is it so important to the NHL that they get a roll back on next years salaries?
Absolutely, Imagine the players taking what the owners offered. |Greedy ********?

Old
10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I would support the whole "everyone leaves their seats for the first 5 minutes" deal 100%
So would the owners since they have your money already.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
So would the owners since they have your money already.
Realistically, there is no way we can get everyone to not attend games. Fans will be hockey starved after at least part of a season off. Something like that will be a purely symbolic move, but hey, at least it's something more feasible. Will it really hurt the owners? No. Will it give them a moment of "wow, these people hate me now"? I hope so.

Old
10-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Le CH

I like the idea of boycotting the season opening games... think it would send a clear message to both players and owners if the arenas were 90% empty on opening night that the "best fans in the world" won't put up with their shaninigans forever.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
I like the idea of boycotting the season opening games... think it would send a clear message to both players and owners if the arenas were 90% empty on opening night that the "best fans in the world" won't put up with their shaninigans forever.
The fans of TFC (MLS) had a great idea last season to show their discontent. When the game's final whistle went the crowd sat in dead silence for a minute and then just walked out. It was weird but MLSE sure heard the discontent maybe that's why the teachers sold and it is showing now in attendance.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
5 Minute Major

I still say the proper thing to do is attend the games but do not buy any NHL licensed products for one year.

Why punish ourselves by missing hockey? Just wear the stuff you have in your closet for the next year. If people picked up on this idea it would send a loud message to both the players and owners that we do, as fans, have a legitimate way to fight back and show our displeasure. It would hurt both the owners and players in their wallet.

That would be much more effective than anything else we could do without punishing ourselves for loving the game of hockey.

Old
10-08-2012, 10:11 PM
TheDeuce

vCash: 1497
I really do like the idea of a boycott - to quote a post I put up on another forum "I like to exercise the power of the consumer to send a message to companies who don't understand the long-term cost of customer abuse."

But here's the thing - withholding support isn't a luxury available to Winnipeg Jets fans, for three reasons. First of all if I say no maas to my season tickets I'll lose my deposit for breaking the terms of the STH agreement. Next, the Jets won't be any worse off because, like a lot of the popular teams, there's a massive lineup of people behind me with wallets open ready to snag my seats.

Final issue: I was one of those irrational fools who was saying, as far back as 2005, that the NHL would return to Winnipeg. And for years I had to hear naysayer after naysayer talk about how the NHL was never coming back and if they did there'd be no support for an endless number of reasons. I suspect that if Jets fans somehow successfully boycotted it'd not be interpreted as 'Astute Winnipeggers teach the NHL a lesson!' it'd be 'See, we said Winnipeg couldn't support the NHL!'

I went through too many verbal battles to risk giving any ammunition to the "Winnipeg couldn't support the NHL" crowd. I'll be inadvertently boycotting my peripheral purchasing though - I already have my jerseys and flags, I don't drink beer at the games, but that'll be it. When the season starts I'll be there with wallet open, going to the games and subscribing to TSN Jets.

Baaaa....

m.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:00 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNYR View Post
Your signature on a boycott pledge might as well be a declaration that you are a hardcore fan that will be there excited as can be as soon as an end to the lockout is announced. Think about it from the NHL's perspective as a business; you CARE about their company so much that you sought out and signed a declaration to tell the NHL how upset you are about not being able to buy their product. That sure sounds like a customer that isn't going anywhere.

Silence would be much more effective than any noise you can make. That would mean don't visit NHL.com or team sites, don't watch NHL Network, don't listen to the NHL channel on satellite radio, don't follow player's twitter feeds, don't read articles about the lockout, don't organize any fantasy leagues, don't buy tickets to AHL games in the meantime, don't post on message boards like this, etc. Those inactions MIGHT help, but I don't see it happening.
yes we care, but i think people can be disciplined enough to not spend money on them for a while. The NHL is destroying it's credibility as a league and they don't care, then we fans in the states get mad when sports shows won't talk about it, but it's because we support a league with bad leadership

Old
10-09-2012, 12:18 AM
RECsGuy*

Is there a realistic way to sufficiently punish the players/owners...

...so as to communicate that we don't want to see another lockout in our lifetime?

One thread raised the idea of a boycott on opening night. Some say they won't renew their season tickets.

These seem like drops in a bucket.

Is it even possible for fans to lay real financial hurt on the players/league? Is this perception of the powerless fan why both sides enter into these labor battles with zero hesitation?

Old
10-09-2012, 12:28 AM
mercy

This really seems like a helpless situation for us N.A. hockey fans.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Lobotomizer*

So by not giving your money to watch the sport you love will somehow make the sport stronger? Let's teach the owners that the fans are pissed by not injecting money into the system that keeps the weaker teams alive.

You want to make a statement - convince the few fans of the fringe teams that are sucking the money out of the NHL to just stop showing up for games...oh wait, they are already doing that.

By lowering the revenue from tickets/merchandise you are supporting the ownership group's argument that the league as a whole is not making money.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:29 PM
BC Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
But here's the thing - withholding support isn't a luxury available to Winnipeg Jets fans, for three reasons. First of all if I say no maas to my season tickets I'll lose my deposit for breaking the terms of the STH agreement. Next, the Jets won't be any worse off because, like a lot of the popular teams, there's a massive lineup of people behind me with wallets open ready to snag my seats.

This, but exchange Winnipeg Jets for Vancouver Canucks... I waited several years before I was offered even an Ice Pak and now that I am up at the half season ticket package, why would I give that up?

I have to buy my package otherwise I lose it and would have several years of waiting just to get a sniff at another regular season package.

I won't be buying merchandise (now what do I get my girlfriend for Christmas?), but I am not stopping attending games, nor selling the tickets to the games I cannot go to.

What other options are there?

Old
10-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Drrocket9

We have the Bulls at the Cow Palace, so I'm not losing hockey entirely, but under these conditions i will never pay another dollar to see the Sharks or any NHL games ever again.

Tired of owners and players squabbling over my hard earned money

And yes most if not all will go back

It became so clear as a Sharks season ticket holder what I really meant to them, just the body that holds that seat, doesn't matter who it is, if they go another will take his place

At the end of the day very little can ever be accomplished unless people actually back their words with their honor and stay away, yet you wont

We as a people could do some incredible stuff if we actually backed up all of this tough talk with real honor and didn't attend nor pay for games, but as long as the Canadian cities are involved there just isn't going to be this ability to cripple the leagues gate as a clear message to ownership. The passion for the game there is just too strong to overcome and the demand is just too intense. If you lose ticket privileges in those cities you may not get back in for a lifetime.

If the Sharks lower ticket prices considerably, then I would consider a return. There are no other scenarios in which i would go back.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:14 PM
jared37

i really dont think any kind of boycott is necessary. When they finally agree on something i think the NHL will really feel the impact of the lockout they brought upon themselves

Im sure 95% of diehard fans like me and the rest on the forum will go running back when they start up again, but they will lose alot more casual fans than most of us realize. In smaller markets where the majority of your fans are casual fans even if they lose a small percentage of those, the owners will lose alot more than some boycott that diehard fans can come up with. Expecially considering fans wont be as forgiving this lockout as last, as they made record revenue last year.

Im hoping that the effect of a lockout is big enough financially for the league that they cant use a lockout as a negotiating tactic next time, and next time they could work something out on time out of fear of losing so much fans/money in the next season.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Clock

I'm hoping an appreciable amount of people cancel their cable / satellite / whaetever subscriptions and cite the lockout as one of the big reasons. I'm just about there.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Would be nice if everyone boycotted all games until Bettman is fired. I know it isn't all his fault, but it feels so good to hate him.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

I'm going to go ahead and mention it (please don't do this)... hypothetically, and only hypothetically, if someone was to kidnap an NHL player and hold him hostage, we would have a season within a week. Whatever you do, don't do that.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:06 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Something obvious needs to happen. Like everybody turning their backs for the first 5 minutes of the first game.

A message must be sent that we are sick and tired of this garbage.

4 lockouts in what, 20 years??? That's absurd.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I'm hoping an appreciable amount of people cancel their cable / satellite / whaetever subscriptions and cite the lockout as one of the big reasons. I'm just about there.
This is actually a good idea. The people who have GC and CI, quite often, are people following a secondary team outside of their home market, or are the type who will watch regardless of who is playing.

Most people can cut these subscriptions and still follow their home team. So they aren't cutting their 'core consumption' of hockey, rather it's the 'luxury consumption' that's lost.

Obviously this doesn't work for displaced fans (eg. Wings fans in Nashville), who would be lost without these programs. But for people who use it to follow a secondary team, or just to have something to watch on an off-night for their home team, it's a way to voice your displeasure without having to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:29 PM
cbcwpg

Ultimately, the fans have the power in NHL money fight

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...984/story.html

Ultimately, fans have the power.

They’ll realize it when they stop pretending the NHL cares any more about them than Starbucks does about coffee enthusiasts, or IKEA does about students who need furniture, or studio executives who greenlit any recent Adam Sandler movie do about morons.

Fans will realize they have the power when they acknowledge what the NHL knows already: This is all about money. And fans have the money the league wants.

Will they stay quiet while their favorite league torches another campaign? Will they flock back whenever their teams do and say, “yes, your trinkets and your lovely messages painted on the ice are enough.”

Or will they say “never again,” and send a real message with their wallets?

I say vote with your wallets.

If you are a casual fan, stay away for a while at least.

If you are a STH and obviously do not want to lose or give up your seats, fine.. but you can still punish the NHL. Don't buy anything that has to do with the NHL.

Old
10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
The Brain

I doubt people will be able to boycott actual games, since as others have said, there are often hundreds of people waiting to take your place. It would be much easier to boycott merch and concession sales, and that would still be a reasonable piece of the pie they are fighting over.

It would be cool to see organized "walk-outs" of opening games in multiple (big market) cities. Either have people leave before the 3rd, or show up after the 1st. I'd like to think seeing what should be a full arena empty on opening night would send a message.

Old
10-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Damascus

I will NOT be purchasing any NHL merchandise for at least the next 2 years. I probably spend 200 - 300 hundred dollars a year, doesn't sound like a whole lot but I'm sure I won't be the only one. **** you NHL and **** you NHLPA

Old
10-10-2012, 04:27 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Have you already purchased tickets for your local team's home opener?

Closed Thread