HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 03:11 PM
averyrule

vCash: 500
Hey guys, for everyone that doesn't already know it looks like there is a pretty good offer on the table right now that could see the nhl having a full 82 game schedule starting Nov. 2. If they were to end this lockout within the next few days and we end up getting a full season would you still be willing to follow through on your boycott plans? Just wondering what other people think. I personally would not go through with a boycott under those circumstances. I want a full season and if a full season is what I get, then I have no reason to boycott the product.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:18 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
Hey guys, for everyone that doesn't already know it looks like there is a pretty good offer on the table right now that could see the nhl having a full 82 game schedule starting Nov. 2. If they were to end this lockout within the next few days and we end up getting a full season would you still be willing to follow through on your boycott plans? Just wondering what other people think. I personally would not go through with a boycott under those circumstances. I want a full season and if a full season is what I get, then I have no reason to boycott the product.
NHL and the players deserve to be boycotted, anyway.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyrule View Post
I think the quality of play is going to suffer for having to shoehorn in the same number of games in less time. The league should cut its losses and move forward with a 70-ish game season, instead of shoveling oodles of an inferior product at us.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:29 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I think the quality of play is going to suffer for having to shoehorn in the same number of games in less time. The league should cut its losses and move forward with a 70-ish game season, instead of shoveling oodles of an inferior product at us.
I would imagine the players want the 82 game schedule too because if they're taking a hit in HHR percentage, they're not going to want to lose games on top of the drop to 50% of revenues.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Honeycutt

Fans should start going to the infromal skates of their teams and booing, that would send a message.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Kearns
Bar Down Boeser

What can we do?

What can we do?

Ive done a lot of whining and eye-rolling. Ive had the lengthy discussion about which I support more, players or owners, and why. Ive nodded my head when we all arrive at the inevitable conclusion, its the fans that get screwed!

I am ready to do a bit more now.

My home page is TSN NHL (sorry HF). I love how it opens up every time I start-up my browser at home, so no matter what I have to do I get at least a three minute puck distraction. I would imagine there are 1000s of people who do the same thing. Maybe we should all change our home pages. Somewhere in the tech department of the company that fronts TSN the page, someone would notice. Revenues would flag. Its tiny, but its something.

This thread is supposed to be for ideas. Tangible, doable ideas. I do not think that as a group hockey fans are activists or protesters. Were not going to be carrying signs around outside stadiums. Im not. But were not lambs either, and I am tired of feeling were the only ones suffering.

This thread is for people to post ideas about what fans can do to demonstrate their unhappiness. I think we should all try to generate some ideas about things we do collectively that will have a dollars and cents impact upon the NHL. I sincerely hope that from threads like this something can develop that NHL bean counters and NHLPA reps become aware of.

HF has 100s and 100s of dedicated viewers. These threads are full of loud-mouthed hockey fanatics like me. If we got several hundred of us to sign on to a couple of good ideas, and we all went out and sold them to our friends... (suddenly this is becoming a Pantene hair commercial).

I honestly think we could get someone to notice.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Foot

throw loonies on the ice in disgust

Old
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

email the NHL, the teams and NHLPA, Call them, send them messages on twitter. But you have to be respectful though.

Dont be silent and sit by, regardless of who's side your on the fans, the arena workers, the business that are supported by revenue are the real victims.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Kearns
Bar Down Boeser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Beatdown View Post
email the NHL, the teams and NHLPA, Call them, send them messages on twitter. But you have to be respectful though.

Dont be silent and sit by, regardless of who's side your on the fans, the arena workers, the business that are supported by revenue are the real victims.
Well said. I think it would be best to set a day. Whatever happens, I think having people do it at roughly the same time would be better.

Old
10-20-2012, 02:29 PM
noupf

Quote:

I like this idea. Let them know how you plan to spend no money on their product ( the games, the merchandise ect... ). Let them know that you will be proactivley getting others to boycott as well. Let them know that this time, money coming from the fans is in jeopardy........without us, none of them have a job.

One question though........does anybody have email addresses to those who this should be directed at?

BOYCOTT THE NHL AND ALL OF ITS PRODUCTS !!

Old
10-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Kearns
Bar Down Boeser

I emailed Darren Dreger at dregerreport@tsn.ca

If you're pointing out that at some point we should be emailing calling the NHLPA and the NHL, I think you're right. I think it could start with rallying media a bit to get the ball rolling first.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:50 PM
hockeymistress

Fans will still go to games, you can't change that.

Fans should not buy or wear NHL sweaters/jerseys, t-shirts or hats, and instead wear a UNIFORM, fan-created "logo" that supports their team in team colors, and also sends a message to the league: I am wearing this shirt instead of buying your merchandise, and I am also pledging to not spend money in concessions this year as much as possible.

Just like the visual impact at a game of fans wearing the same game t-shirt when they are given away, if enough people are wearing the same thing, it sends a message. Someone should just create the design, give it away, allow fans to put it on their own team colors, and we can make them ourselves for cheap. It just has to be consistent.

If you wanted it to be more forceful and organized, start by raising enough money to make them and give them away in a section and promote them at the home opener by whatever committee represents each team. Telll people wearing team jerseys, "If you are angry about the lockout like we are, please don't wear the jersey this season, or opt to wear our t shirt or sweater. Here's the web site. It's cheap. Send a message."

By wearing the shirt or sweater, you are also pledging to make an effort to not stand in a concession line or go into the team store. You can also go with friends to the team store and encourage, without loitering, fans to not patronize.

H.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymistress View Post
Fans will still go to games, you can't change that.

Fans should not buy or wear NHL sweaters/jerseys, t-shirts or hats, and instead wear a UNIFORM, fan-created "logo" that supports their team in team colors, and also sends a message to the league: I am wearing this shirt instead of buying your merchandise, and I am also pledging to not spend money in concessions this year as much as possible.

Just like the visual impact at a game of fans wearing the same game t-shirt when they are given away, if enough people are wearing the same thing, it sends a message. Someone should just create the design, give it away, allow fans to put it on their own team colors, and we can make them ourselves for cheap. It just has to be consistent.

If you wanted it to be more forceful and organized, start by raising enough money to make them and give them away in a section and promote them at the home opener by whatever committee represents each team. Telll people wearing team jerseys, "If you are angry about the lockout like we are, please don't wear the jersey this season, or opt to wear our t shirt or sweater. Here's the web site. It's cheap. Send a message."

By wearing the shirt or sweater, you are also pledging to make an effort to not stand in a concession line or go into the team store. You can also go with friends to the team store and encourage, without loitering, fans to not patronize.

H.
Not many will boycott an actual game, something simple like Boo the home team on opening night when they are introduced

Old
10-20-2012, 07:52 PM
NYRSinceBirth

If I followed any other sport I'd just tweet the tickets/merchandize at the NHL/PA that I decided to spend elsewhere.

We can't get people to stop going to the games, but if a couple thousand tweets of Clay Mathews jerseys and Detroit Tiger hats could ruffle some feathers, why not?

"I really wanted that Callahan jersey, but ended up with [pic] instead"

Old
10-20-2012, 08:03 PM
hockeymistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
If I followed any other sport I'd just tweet the tickets/merchandize at the NHL/PA that I decided to spend elsewhere.

We can't get people to stop going to the games, but if a couple thousand tweets of Clay Mathews jerseys and Detroit Tiger hats could ruffle some feathers, why not?

I think it would have more impact if people were wearing the same thing, though. I mean the simple version would just be tell everyone to wear a solid color t-shirt of your home team color as a sign of protest.

But I remember in Anaheim when people were speculating on new logo look, a lot of fans had amazing interpretations of possible t-shirt/sweater designs with team colors that were so cool. Wouldn't it be great to design our own and everyone wear it? Granted we can't touch the NHL logo (who cares) or officially licensed names or whatnot, but I still bet fan generated art for each team, with a consistent "we are angry" logo, would catch on if it looked cool and was made available dirt cheap (ie, at cost - or just "here's the art, make it yourself" - via cafe press or anything online).

H.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:09 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Wouldn't that necessitate going to the games? Who cares how angry we are if we're paying to go to games to protest.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:17 AM
noupf

I am simply ammazed how many people here are angry or upset, yet will continue to go to games and give the NHL, the owners and the players your hard earned money after they jerked you around for a 3rd time in 17 years with yet another lockout.

People.......if you go to a game, but put up a "silenet or odd style protest" with colered shirts, booing the home team or anything that actually involves you going to the arena during a game.......the NHL AND THE OWNERS WONT CARE !!!.......they have your money now. It will do absolutely nothing to help prevent lockout #4 in 5-7 years.

Last edited by noupf: 10-21-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old
10-21-2012, 11:27 AM
robla

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
I am simply ammazed how many people here are angry or upset, yet will continue to go to games and give the NHL, the owners and the players your hard earned money after they jerked you around for a 3rd time in 17 years with yet another lockout.

People.......if you go to a game, but put up a "silenet or odd style protest" with colered shirts, booing the home team or anything that actually involves you going to the arena during a game.......the NHL AND THE OWNERS WONT CARE !!!.......they have your money now. It will do absolutely nothing to help prevent lockout #4 in 5-7 years.

seems like the players would even care less than the owners.. since they demand payment not linked to the HRR :-)

Old
10-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymistress View Post
I think it would have more impact if people were wearing the same thing, though. I mean the simple version would just be tell everyone to wear a solid color t-shirt of your home team color as a sign of protest.

But I remember in Anaheim when people were speculating on new logo look, a lot of fans had amazing interpretations of possible t-shirt/sweater designs with team colors that were so cool. Wouldn't it be great to design our own and everyone wear it? Granted we can't touch the NHL logo (who cares) or officially licensed names or whatnot, but I still bet fan generated art for each team, with a consistent "we are angry" logo, would catch on if it looked cool and was made available dirt cheap (ie, at cost - or just "here's the art, make it yourself" - via cafe press or anything online).

H.
If you're going to make some sort of protest t-shirt design... don't make it in your team's colors, don't make it have anything to do with your team. Make it a generic hockey design, with a logo that only represents hockey... like a top view of hockey ice with no branding on it, players represented by x's and o's. Make it so it sends the message that you're there for the hockey, not for the brand, not the player, not the owner, not the team.

I'm just going to do what I already decided to do. I'm not buying any team or NHL merchandise or going to any games... hell, I haven't even worn any of my team merchandise since the lockout began. Not buying any hockey packages on cable either. How long will I do that? Twice the length of the lockout.

Old
10-21-2012, 02:16 PM
AceintheSpace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post

Yeah but that means I have to actually enjoy other sports.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Wolf357

Any sort of Boycott has to be really taken by the fans in the big markets.
Fans in Toronto, NY, LA, Chicago, Montreal, Philladelphia need to take a few games off.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:37 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Why boycott? At most, this lockout, even if it lasts a whole season, is a minor annoyance that costs me a few hours of entertainment a week. Time that can be easily filled with other pursuits.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:13 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Yeah but that means I have to actually enjoy other sports.
It can be anything, we're not limited to sports. Whatever you spent your NHL piggy bank on will do.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Astoria
#ILEquestrian

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing! Email, phone, (or even snail mail) the NHL, the NHLPA, player agents, the owners, the sponsors, TSN, ESPN, NBC, your local sports talk radio station, your local news affiliate, your local newspaper (for me that would be The Denver Post), write an Op-Ed piece for the local paper....

Silly idea? Perhaps. But if enough fans participated, and did this on a daily or weekly basis, then maybe, just maybe, those that have the power to get a deal done, will take notice. Or, at least be somewhat annoyed.....which at this point, would be a bit therapeutic for the Enough-Is-Enough fan.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Free*

To get the NHL worried, threaten to boycott their SPONSORS. If the NHL starts having corporate sponsors worth a lot of money unhappy about the bad press they are getting, it will go a long way.

Closed Thread