HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Who's your favourite Beatle - if you had to pick one?

View Poll Results: Which Beatle member is your favourite?
John Lennon 42 29.79%
Paul McCartney 36 25.53%
George Harrison 52 36.88%
Ringo Starr 11 7.80%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
1) George
2) John
3) Paul
4) Drum Machine

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

vCash: 500
Lennon.

You can get a better understanding of HF posters on who they choose.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
Lennon.

You can get a better understanding of HF posters on who they choose.
Definitely. I've always loved that the four personalities are very different (while still fitting together really well) and are a big part of the appeal of the band's music.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
kihei

vCash: 4614
McCartney can be a lousy lyricist but his gift for melody rivals Schubert. I think his strongest songs are the equal of John's or George's strongest songs.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:20 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I meant meaningful to me specifically. They're great songs, but when I listen to them, the "honest feelings" (don't know how else to describe it) they give me feel more artificial to me than great Lennon/Harrison stuff.

Maybe it's just that I'm not as won over by ballad-y crooning than I am by other approaches. I think he's great, but when I like his songs, almost all of the appeal for me is strictly that they sound fantastic.
Yeah, fair enough. Everyone is different. I personally don't care for Hey Jude and it's always up there in greatest songs ever written.

I just think he's a great writer, great musician, and although I personally Like George better, McCartney was probably the most talented.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Firestorm

A quote from George Martin (their producer) is telling:

John would say "you know George, I don't expect to walk into a bar in Spain and for someone to be whistling 'I am the Walrus'".

John was better with words and Paul was better with melody. That's why they complemented each other so well.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Yeah, fair enough. Everyone is different. I personally don't care for Hey Jude and it's always up there in greatest songs ever written.

I just think he's a great writer, great musician, and although I personally Like George better, McCartney was probably the most talented.
Oh I 100% agree with that. For some reason it just doesn't translate into preferring to listen to his music over Harrison's for me.

But it's kind of weird for me. Even though I can acknowledge that Paul is much better at melody, even if you removed the words I would probably prefer to listen to the way A Day in the Life goes than Hey Jude.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-02-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Oh I 100% agree with that. For some reason it just doesn't translate into preferring to listen to his music over Harrison's for me.

But it's kind of weird for me. Even though I can acknowledge that Paul is much better at melody, even if you removed the words I would probably prefer to listen to the way A Day in the Life goes than Hey Jude.
Me too, without question.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
1) George
2) John
3) Paul
4) Drum Machine
Kind of a cheap shot. Ringo might not have been Philly Joe Jones, but he was the perfect drummer for the Beatles.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Kind of a cheap shot. Ringo might not have been Philly Joe Jones, but he was the perfect drummer for the Beatles.
And anything but a drum machine.

Lot's of good discussion here.

Talent+Appreciation+Personality

John
George
Paul
Ringo

Talent
Paul
John
George
Ringo

Appreciation
John
George
Paul
Ringo

Personality
George
John
Ringo
Paul

Love them all.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:18 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
John was once asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world

his response was "he's not even the best drummer in the band"

Not sure if it was John or Paul who in fact played drums on many of the early demos the band made.

I know for The Ballad of John and Yoko it was only Paul and John playing and no one else

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:47 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

Not sure if it was John or Paul who in fact played drums on many of the early demos the band made.

I know for The Ballad of John and Yoko it was only Paul and John playing and no one else
John said a lot of nasty things that he probably would have taken back had he lived long enough. And who plays on bloody demos is no indication of anything. As for that classic, The Ballad of John and Yoko, one of the few Beatles tunes that most people can't hum, well, that's a big deal, now, innit?

Old
10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
And anything but a drum machine.

Lot's of good discussion here.

Talent+Appreciation+Personality

John
George
Paul
Ringo

Talent
Paul
John
George
Ringo

Appreciation
John
George
Paul
Ringo

Personality
George
John
Ringo
Paul

Love them all.
Bang on, IMO.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:40 PM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

Going to see a Beatles tribute band this fall.

Do have to give props to Ringo for being the first to experience _______. After a bit of time,the others were curious how it felt and he said "It feels like the ceiling is coming down on me head".

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:21 AM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

This is honestly such a difficult question.

I'm going to have to say

Paul
George
John
Ringo

but really, I like all of them and they each brought something to the band (and to music in general).

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:13 AM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

Ringo quit (for a while) so McCartney played drums on the first two songs for the White Album.

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:21 AM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzinSmith View Post
Ringo quit (for a while) so McCartney played drums on the first two songs for the White Album.
He quit because Paul was such a perfectionist in the studio. He wasn't happy with Ringo's drumming on Back in the USSR. George also quit at one point in time as well only to come back. Finally it was John who left the band for real, even though the media believed it to be Paul.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
McCartney can be a lousy lyricist but his gift for melody rivals Schubert. I think his strongest songs are the equal of John's or George's strongest songs.
I came to write this, sans the Schubert reference.

McCartney's melodic sense is the greatest we've seen in centuries...

That said, I prefer Lennon's voice, and Harrison's demeanour...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:29 AM
TasteofFlames

George Harrison

John Lennon

Ringo

**** Paul McCartney

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:52 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
John
George/Paul
Ringo.

I didn't live through the Beatles heyday, but John's songs have always resonated with me more than the others.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:17 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Not too mention the Beatles really got a kick start because of Pete's mom. I think she's quoted saying she'd kill them if she ever got her hands on them. I also heard it had to do with his looks, but that might be untrue.
When they first came to London and started working with George Martin, he said that Pete couldn't cut it as a drummer. If you listen to the anthology version of "Love Me Do" which features Pete Best on drums, Martin was right.

The band wanted to keep the ensemble all Liverpudlian, which is why they asked Ringo to join, as he was the best drummer in Liverpool (formerly of Rory Storm and the Hurricanes).

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:28 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBingo View Post

Going to see a Beatles tribute band this fall.
The best Beatles tribute band is Paul McCartney and his band. I hope to get that chance one day. Until then, his live albums will have to suffice.

Ringo's cool, but he's the obvious 4th. I tend to put George 3rd, and distantly too, but it's agonizing because he'd be the most talented member of most bands if he stepped into their lineups.

So it's between John and Paul.

You can't really separate them as songwriters, Paul's the better singer, and I think he's a better bassist than John is a guitarist. Don't ask me to quantify that scientifically, though.

Paul's lengthy career and wider variety of genres explored gives him a further edge. Yeah, you could say that's sort of giving him credit for "not getting killed", but longevity has to count for something, and at the same time we should be careful not to overglorify people who met a tragic end if we're trying to judge them objectively.

Lastly, and this part may or may not have any impact for most of you, but Paul was just the better person by my standards. I've read stuff lately that indicates Lennon may have been somewhat of a Poseur and not really the saint he's made out to be. I completely realize it was written from a slanted perspective, but I imagine there's at least some fire under that smoke. Paul, from what I can see, walks the walk as a vegetarian and animal activist, those being the most central of the many causes he's actively supported.

this all makes it sound like I take Paul by a landslide. i don't. But these are all a number of small reasons why I give him the edge.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Diskothek

George by far, only one I ever cared for.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
The best Beatles tribute band is Paul McCartney and his band. I hope to get that chance one day. Until then, his live albums will have to suffice.

Ringo's cool, but he's the obvious 4th. I tend to put George 3rd, and distantly too, but it's agonizing because he'd be the most talented member of most bands if he stepped into their lineups.

So it's between John and Paul.

You can't really separate them as songwriters, Paul's the better singer, and I think he's a better bassist than John is a guitarist. Don't ask me to quantify that scientifically, though.

Paul's lengthy career and wider variety of genres explored gives him a further edge. Yeah, you could say that's sort of giving him credit for "not getting killed", but longevity has to count for something, and at the same time we should be careful not to overglorify people who met a tragic end if we're trying to judge them objectively.

Lastly, and this part may or may not have any impact for most of you, but Paul was just the better person by my standards. I've read stuff lately that indicates Lennon may have been somewhat of a Poseur and not really the saint he's made out to be. I completely realize it was written from a slanted perspective, but I imagine there's at least some fire under that smoke. Paul, from what I can see, walks the walk as a vegetarian and animal activist, those being the most central of the many causes he's actively supported.

this all makes it sound like I take Paul by a landslide. i don't. But these are all a number of small reasons why I give him the edge.
John was definitely the furthest thing from a saint, but part of me still takes a flawed ***hole who makes selfish decisions over the type of image-conscious, business-oriented perfectionist that McCartney seemed to be. Not to say that they're both exactly that, but lack of both those qualities is what makes Harrison easily the most likeable guy of the three.

And I think the thing that balances the scales is that you absolutely can seperate them as songwriters-- John was better at that by a longshot, IMO. I've always considered John the better artist and McCartney the better musician, although they were both great at both.

And I personally don't see longevity as a factor because McCartney hasn't really taken advantage of the additional time with anything that pushes it in his favor.

It's hard to put George ahead of Paul because the sheer quantity of output and contribution isn't even close, but I do think their peaks are easily very competitive with each other.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old
10-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote