HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Who's your favourite Beatle - if you had to pick one?

View Poll Results: Which Beatle member is your favourite?
John Lennon 42 29.79%
Paul McCartney 36 25.53%
George Harrison 52 36.88%
Ringo Starr 11 7.80%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-04-2012, 04:33 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Stern View Post
Damn the results of this poll clearly prove that HF is full of hipsters. I love George, but god damn let's be real.
wel said. Harrison is definitely the hipster answer!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Shareefruck

Geez, everyone's a hipster if they don't agree with you. If actual hipsters disappeared off the face of the earth, noone would probably even notice.

Harrison is a brilliant and beautiful musician. Unless you strongly disagree with that, what's there to be a hipster about?

Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
cupcrazyman
Mint Condition

my Dad ,he performed with them in 1962 !

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:30 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Geez, everyone's a hipster if they don't agree with you. If actual hipsters disappeared off the face of the earth, noone would probably even notice.

Harrison is a brilliant and beautiful musician. Unless you strongly disagree with that, what's there to be a hipster about?
Well, it's four months later, and I've bought and listened to every single solo album by John, Paul and George at least 5 times (if not more) and I can definitely say that George is the hipster answer.

I missed your original response to the statement or I'd have replied back then, and my answer wouldn't have been nearly as informed as it is now (back then I had just a "best of" by each of the three). It's not that if you like George you're a hipster or if you don't agree with me you're a hipster, I think that people selecting George is just a symptom of hipsterism because John and Paul were definitely the best two songwriters of the three, and I get the feeling a lot of people come to this thread thinking "everyone probably took either John or Paul, and I'm gonna give George some love" but more people did that, than is actually warranted.

That said, I think George reached the best peak of all three when he recorded All Things Must Pass. An absolutely breathtaking album, and this is an atheist saying that. The fact that it's so blithely spiritual doesn't run the fantastic music for me.

I will start a thread on this subject when I get the time, but a quick and interesting story is, just the other day I went to rateyourmusic.com to see which albums by these three were the most highly regarded, and the top 5 were:

- All Things Must Pass
- Band On the Run
- Plastic Ono Band
- Ram
- Imagine

I guess the cream just rises to the top. Because, sans Ram*, that is my top-4 list of post-Beatles albums, too. Music is subjective but some things are just so good that they defy subjectivity.

*Ram is great too, I just wouldn't put it in my top-10. Need room for Cloud 9, Material World, Mind Games, and especially Paul's last 4 non-cover albums (Flaming Pie, Chaos and Creation, Driving Rain, Memory Almost Full)

Old
02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBingo View Post
He quit because Paul was such a perfectionist in the studio. He wasn't happy with Ringo's drumming on Back in the USSR. George also quit at one point in time as well only to come back. Finally it was John who left the band for real, even though the media believed it to be Paul.
Lennon quit, but agreed to keep it quiet because McCartney was wanting to carry on as The Beatles but had to re-negotiate their record deal. I'm assuming Harrison/Starr told McCartney no deal so then Paul tried to play it off as though he dissolved the group.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Behn Wilson

Its not Hipster answer by any means to say you like George Harrison the most. Kind of pretentious to make this generalization I would say.

Its not who is the best or most talented or has the best solo albums. Its who is your favorite. John & Paul are clearly the driving force behind the music, John kind of turned me off with the Yoko circus. I could never stand her.

I always gravitated toward George since I was a little kid around the tail end of their career before they broke up. He always had this quite coolness to him, and he always seemed the most likeable to me in interviews. Its almost his personality that makes him my favorite more than his musical contributions, which I am also a fan of.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Well, it's four months later, and I've bought and listened to every single solo album by John, Paul and George at least 5 times (if not more) and I can definitely say that George is the hipster answer.

I missed your original response to the statement or I'd have replied back then, and my answer wouldn't have been nearly as informed as it is now (back then I had just a "best of" by each of the three). It's not that if you like George you're a hipster or if you don't agree with me you're a hipster, I think that people selecting George is just a symptom of hipsterism because John and Paul were definitely the best two songwriters of the three, and I get the feeling a lot of people come to this thread thinking "everyone probably took either John or Paul, and I'm gonna give George some love" but more people did that, than is actually warranted.

That said, I think George reached the best peak of all three when he recorded All Things Must Pass. An absolutely breathtaking album, and this is an atheist saying that. The fact that it's so blithely spiritual doesn't run the fantastic music for me.

I will start a thread on this subject when I get the time, but a quick and interesting story is, just the other day I went to rateyourmusic.com to see which albums by these three were the most highly regarded, and the top 5 were:

- All Things Must Pass
- Band On the Run
- Plastic Ono Band
- Ram
- Imagine

I guess the cream just rises to the top. Because, sans Ram*, that is my top-4 list of post-Beatles albums, too. Music is subjective but some things are just so good that they defy subjectivity.

*Ram is great too, I just wouldn't put it in my top-10. Need room for Cloud 9, Material World, Mind Games, and especially Paul's last 4 non-cover albums (Flaming Pie, Chaos and Creation, Driving Rain, Memory Almost Full)
I voted John, and my second pick would have been Paul. But I have to say George's solo stuff has worn very, very well, and his last album before his death was a gem. So I can see where a lot of people, especially younger ones, might pick George as their favourite Beatle without trying to be hipsters about it in the least. See the Scorsese documentary Living in the Material World. In that documentary, besides his great music, George comes across as a very level-headed, likable guy who even talks about faith in a way that is completely down to earth. I'm glad to see that he is finally getting the recognition that he deserves.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Ha, love Ram. Dear Boy is one of those songs I liked to throw on mixes back when I used to make them. Fun album. I also really think this is one of Paul's most beautiful melodies, though the album (McCartney) is kinda weak:

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:19 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
Its not Hipster answer by any means to say you like George Harrison the most. Kind of pretentious to make this generalization I would say.

Its not who is the best or most talented or has the best solo albums. Its who is your favorite. John & Paul are clearly the driving force behind the music, John kind of turned me off with the Yoko circus. I could never stand her.

I always gravitated toward George since I was a little kid around the tail end of their career before they broke up. He always had this quite coolness to him, and he always seemed the most likeable to me in interviews. Its almost his personality that makes him my favorite more than his musical contributions, which I am also a fan of.
Yes, favorite and best don't have to be the same thing. My favorite in this case is who I think it's best. You can call me pretentious if you like, I have been called worse and I do realize music is all subjective. The three unwritten words that precede every statement we make are "in my opinion. ."

You are right about Yoko. Most of the stuff she had a part in wasn't any good. I only had a 2CD best of by John, and truly, since there's no Yoko there, it really represented half of his good material. Getting his back catalog wasn't as rewarding as it was for Paul or George. But I'm sure glad I did, because How do You Sleep, how, I don't want to be a soldier, etc are outstanding.

Anyway, I fully agree George is the most likeable due to the disgusting egos of the other two. But I try to keep my personal feelings out of the answer to this very important question.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:28 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I voted John, and my second pick would have been Paul. But I have to say George's solo stuff has worn very, very well, and his last album before his death was a gem. So I can see where a lot of people, especially younger ones, might pick George as their favourite Beatle without trying to be hipsters about it in the least. See the Scorsese documentary Living in the Material World. In that documentary, besides his great music, George comes across as a very level-headed, likable guy who even talks about faith in a way that is completely down to earth. I'm glad to see that he is finally getting the recognition that he deserves.
Having not been alive throughout his solo peak, I can't comment on whether he always got the recognition he deserved. But, it is possible for him to get the recognition he deserves, while still being considered a distant third to Paul and John.

I had his "best of dark horse" compilation, and if I was to make a companion disc, I would run out of room very fast.

Isn't it a pity, my sweet lord, wah wah, not guilty, any road, all things must pass... give me love, miss o'dell, devils radio, sue me sue you blues, this song, save the world... and so on.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:30 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Ha, love Ram. Dear Boy is one of those songs I liked to throw on mixes back when I used to make them. Fun album. I also really think this is one of Paul's most beautiful melodies, though the album (McCartney) is kinda weak:

Don't get me wrong, I love Ram too, it's just not in my top10 of their 41 combined solo albums, most of which are very good or better.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:50 AM
kihei

Quote:
Having not been alive throughout his solo peak, I can't comment on whether he always got the recognition he deserved. But, it is possible for him to get the recognition he deserves, while still being considered a distant third to Paul and John.

I had his "best of dark horse" compilation, and if I was to make a companion disc, I would run out of room very fast.

Isn't it a pity, my sweet lord, wah wah, not guilty, any road, all things must pass... give me love, miss o'dell, devils radio, sue me sue you blues, this song, save the world... and so on.
It depends if we are talking Beatles songs or solo careers. George had some fine work with the Beatles, but he wasn't in the same class as Lennon/McCartney. However, for all three of them in their solo careers, there was a lot of good stuff and a lot of mediocre stuff. So in terms of the post-Beatles stuff, I wouldn't say that George was a distant third to either of the others. It would be interesting to hear what each of a best 20 song collection, say, sounded like in comparison with one another. Just personally, I'm not sure that I would "run out of room very fast" putting that size collection together for any of them. I'd also be willing to contemplate at least the possibility that George's solo work was less uneven over all than either John's or certainly Paul's. Post-Beatles, I don't see a whole lot of daylight separating them.

Later: just remembered I made a top 15 for all three on another thread, and, yes, I do think the quality is very close among John, Paul and George.

John Lennon

Beautiful Boy
Jealous Guy
Mind Games
Real Love
Woman
Mother
God
Working Class Hero
Cold Turkey
Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)
Give Peace a Chance
I Found Out
I'm Losing You
Instant Karma
Remember

Paul McCartney

Band on the Run
Calico Skies
Heaven on a Sunday
Here Today
Jet
Junk
Live and Let Die
London Town
I'm Carrying
Maybe I'm Amazed
Silly Love Songs
Venus and Mars/Rock Show
Songs We Were Singing
Flaming Pie
C'Mon People

George Harrison

Beware of Darkness
All Things Must Pass
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
What Is Life
Brainwashed
I'd Have You Any Time
If Not for You
Living in the Material World
My Sweet Lord
Never Get Over You
Love Comes to Everyone
Give Me Love
Run of the Mill
Long, Long, Long
Awaiting on You All

It's obviously very subjective for sure, but I can't see myself gravitating toward one at the expense of the others. I think George's holds up very well, though.

Last edited by kihei: 02-14-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 12:59 AM
braille

george.... martin

braille is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:30 AM
seventieslord

Long Long Long is a beatles song... but otherwise, those are some nice lists. Nice to see some post-90s McCartney appreciation there.

as far as running out of room goes, Lennon's Working Class Hero compilation was two packed discs and didn't even include the three tracks I named earlier in this thread, or I Found Out, or Crippled Inside, or Steel and Glass, or The Luck Of the Irish. That's a pretty good decade of work if there's not room for those songs.

Harrison's Dark Horse compilation is a great start for him, but it cuts off his first two albums (his 2nd is arguably his 2nd best) and there's enough good stuff on those two, to fill half of a disc 2 already. the other 10 albums can easily contribute another 8 or so tracks to make a very, very solid 2CD set. It wouldn't be as good as the Lennon set, but it would be very good. By the way - How did you not have Isn't It a Pity there? Yikes!

But McCartney.... wow. Wingspan is already an excellent set to start with, and it is two CDs packed to their full capacity, and they only go to 1984. Nothing stands out as an easily droppable track from these discs, and they don't even include the following:

Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
Mrs. Vandebilt
Give Ireland Back to the Irish
Big Barn Red
Picasso's Last Words
Country Dreamer
London Town
Girls' School
Getting Closer
Temporary Secretary
Here Today
Ballroom Dancing
Ebony and Ivory
Say Say Say
Simple as that

and then he's got over a third of his career still unchronicled by a compilation... 7 studio albums (not counting the three covers albums) - Press, Pretty Little Head, Spies Like Us, My Brave Face, Put It There, Off the Ground, C'mon People, at least 4 songs each from Chaos and Creation and Driving Rain, and 6-7 (seriously!) from each of Flaming Pie and Memory almost full. That's another 2CD best of right there.

PLUS... practically all of the Fireman's last album (the first two were nothing that special)... christ, I think he's easily amassed the best catalog. At their peaks they were all pretty close. But he's lived long enough to just keep backing up that peak with more and more quality.

From everything on Wingspan and all the best tracks you and I named, I don't see how Paul doesn't put together a compilation that overtakes John and George. (it goes without saying that his "disc 3 and 4" material is far superior - reminds me of how Team Canada isn't significantly better than USA, Sweden, Russia, etc, but they could ice a 2nd and 3rd team that USA, Sweden, Russia, etc aren't significantly better than )

Old
02-14-2013, 01:47 AM
kihei

Quote:
From everything on Wingspan and all the best tracks you and I named, I don't see how Paul doesn't put together a compilation that overtakes John and George. (it goes without saying that his "disc 3 and 4" material is far superior - reminds me of how Team Canada isn't significantly better than USA, Sweden, Russia, etc, but they could ice a 2nd and 3rd team that USA, Sweden, Russia, etc aren't significantly better than )
Yup, totally agree and that's a great analogy. If it's four discs, Paul wins in a landslide. Glad we finally found common ground because I'm getting sleepy. (It is uneven, but you should give a serious audition to Flaming Pie).

Old
02-14-2013, 01:58 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

George Harrison.

Probably my favorite musician ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Paul McCartney OG
John Lennon
George Harrison
Ringo Starr
Paul McCartney #2

As a conspiracist this makes me laugh.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:54 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Ringo

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:

- All Things Must Pass
- Band On the Run
- Plastic Ono Band
- Ram
- Imagine

All things must pass is the reason why George Harrison is my favorite Beatle. Just a beautiful album.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:05 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
I honestly cannot make a vote. Any other band I could, but with The Beatles it just means too much.

They are arguably the greatest figure in music history (the only other acceptable answer is Elvis) and I just cannot find it in myself to pick only ONE of them. Each one of them is my favourite for different reasons... John and Paul for their brilliant song writing (the greatest of all time) and their voices.. George for his overall likeableness, as well as his fantastic guitar playing and song writing.. and Ringo for his simple, yet skilled drumming which has always been some of my favourite, even though most people I know think he's talentless since it's not all solo's..

In terms of their careers after The Beatles, i'd say it goes Paul, John, George, Ringo..
Paul had the music I enjoyed the most, John had the most culturally significant music, George had a great solo career but it just doesn't match theirs, and Ringo I haven't listened to much of so I have to put him last.

It's a shame that they only lasted a decade, but at the same time i'm kind of glad.. I don't think I would want to see/hear what they could have come up with in the 70's and onward.

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:32 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Yup, totally agree and that's a great analogy. If it's four discs, Paul wins in a landslide. Glad we finally found common ground because I'm getting sleepy. (It is uneven, but you should give a serious audition to Flaming Pie).
I've mentioned it twice I this thread... I love it.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:35 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I honestly cannot make a vote. Any other band I could, but with The Beatles it just means too much.

They are arguably the greatest figure in music history (the only other accepRtable answer is Elvis) and I just cannot find it in myself to pick only ONE of them. Each one of them is my favourite for different reasons... John and Paul for their brilliant song writing (the greatest of all time) and their voices.. George for his overall likeableness, as well as his fantastic guitar playing and song writing.. and Ringo for his simple, yet skilled drumming which has always been some of my favourite, even though most people I know think he's talentless since it's not all solo's..

In terms of their careers after The Beatles, i'd say it goes Paul, John, George, Ringo..
Paul had the music I enjoyed the most, John had the most culturally significant music, George had a great solo career but it just doesn't match theirs, and Ringo I haven't listened to much of so I have to put him last.

It's a shame that they only lasted a decade, but at the same time i'm kind of glad.. I don't think I would want to see/hear what they could have come up with in the 70's and onward.
based on the quality of each of their first few solo albums, 1971-1973 would have yielded a couple of outstanding Beatles albums, had they been able to stand being around eachother.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Acadmus

George. Very quietly (always very quietly) the best musician in the band.

02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
based on the quality of each of their first few solo albums, 1971-1973 would have yielded a couple of outstanding Beatles albums, had they been able to stand being around eachother.
I don't doubt they would have made great albums at the beginning of the 70's, but I was thinking more like with The Rolling Stones longevity. There's only 2 years difference between The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, so if they never split up nor John and passed away, what would they have sounded like during the 80's? 90's?

They seemed to change their style as time progressed (Please Please Me compared to Sgt. Pepper's).. so would the emergence of Heavy Metal and Grunge/Alternative have impacted them?

I think it would with sales/charts to an extent.. they'd still be successful because of who they are.. but would they let the genre's somehow become incorporated with their style? Look at Revolution, my personal favourite by them, and the riff alone.. It's obviously been influenced by the emergence of Hard Rock.. or even Sgt. Pepper's, which was Psychedelic Rock. So while The Beatles may not directly start headbanging and moshing, you have to think that the sound would be incorporated SOMEHOW. Who knows though, they were musical geniuses, they could have made it work!!

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:

- All Things Must Pass
- Band On the Run
- Plastic Ono Band
- Ram
- Imagine

I don't even remember the argument, but the big issue I have is that this is such a dismissive, unnecessary, and widespread accusation to make based on nothing other than not understanding why anyone would disagree with you about which ones you like.
Quote:
Why do you say that?

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-14-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

The one they call Macca.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote