HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Brooks: Dolan petitioned to have Bettman fired a couple of years ago [MOD]

Old
11-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Brooks: Dolan petitioned to have Bettman fired a couple of years ago [MOD]

There has been alot of talk about how unified the owners are etc., which I always have had a pretty hard time believing since Bettman's actions are pretty insane from the point of view of many owners (look seriously he is not saving the worst of organizations with what is on the table right now) and he is potentially causing the game tremendous damage. But many refer to the owners being unified and mention the vote on if the owners should keep playing with the old CBA while negotiating or lockout the players as evidence for that (which I also definitely think can be debated, how to negotiate is one topic that is relevant, this issue says very little for me).

Anyway, I found this report very interesting, and I had not heard about it before. Apparantly atleast one owner has already gone after Bettman for his insane approch and called for him to be fired a couple of years ago.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...2P34Z9E0MbV9cN
Quote:
It’s hard to believe the owners of the Maple Leafs, who stand to lose at least $100 million if the season is flushed, will stand by silently as the league seeks nothing less than unconditional surrender from the players. It is impossible to believe the owners of the Canadiens, Canucks, Flyers, Red Wings, Penguins and Blackhawks will continue to cede authority.

Perhaps no one will listen to Dolan of the Rangers — who stands to lose at least $60 million if the puck isn’t dropped just as his team would be denied its shot at the Cup — just as no one listened to him a few years ago when he petitioned the board to dismiss Gary Bettman, but silence from the Blueshirts’ CEO simply would be unacceptable.
I definitely think its probable that Bettman has 15+ owners on his side (owners of the smallest markets that loose money and others who don't care about the game), but any talk about the ownerse being unified just seem ridiculous after this report of how someone alredy openly has gone after him...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:13 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
There has been alot of talk about how unified the owners are etc., which I always have had a pretty hard time believing since Bettman's actions are pretty insane from the point of view of many owners (look seriously he is not saving the worst of organizations with what is on the table right now) and he is potentially causing the game tremendous damage. But many refer to the owners being unified and mention the vote on if the owners should keep playing with the old CBA while negotiating or lockout the players as evidence for that (which I also definitely think can be debated, how to negotiate is one topic that is relevant, this issue says very little for me).

Anyway, I found this report very interesting, and I had not heard about it before. Apparantly atleast one owner has already gone after Bettman for his insane approch and called for him to be fired a couple of years ago.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...2P34Z9E0MbV9cN

I definitely think its probable that Bettman has 15+ owners on his side (owners of the smallest markets that loose money and others who don't care about the game), but any talk about the ownerse being unified just seem ridiculous after this report of how someone alredy openly has gone after him...
I see Brook neglected to mention, what's behind Dolan's attempt to force Bettman out. Imagine a commissioner who's concerned with ALL the teams in his league,not just the big market ones

http://puckstopshere.blogspot.com/20...marketing.html

The dispute is related to marketing. The NHL feels it should have control over the promotions held by Madison Square Gardens relating to the New York Rangers. Specifically, the NHL says they should have control over the New York Rangers website nyrangers.com and other promotions.

The NHL has insisted that they should have control over the Rangers independently run website and turn it into the "cookie-cutter" websites of the other NHL teams that can be linked to from nhl.com. When the 2007 playoffs began, the Rangers began making New York Rangers merchandise available through the website instead of through a catalogue.

The problem is a symptom of the NHL CBA. If big markets grow their revenues, they lose a significant chunk of the extra money they produced to revenue sharing payments to keep the smaller market teams alive. Naturally, they are looking to find new revenue streams that are outside this restriction.

When big markets do grow their revenues, it increases the salary costs for the smaller markets, who may have problems paying them, since player salaries and NHL revenues are linked. Thus some of the small markets would be happy to see the biggest NHL markets revenues fall flat or even drop.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:16 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 150
lol of course Dolan wanted Bettman impeached, after the petty catfight he got into with the league over the Rangers' website a while back. And as Brooks himself said, nobody listened to Dolan...he was just playing out a personal feud.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 06:24 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
lol of course Dolan wanted Bettman impeached, after the petty catfight he got into with the league over the Rangers' website a while back. And as Brooks himself said, nobody listened to Dolan...he was just playing out a personal feud.
and its definitely why dolan isnt in the room right now. shockingly to most, he was sort of a mediator in the NBA lockout last year and played a large role in getting that lockout resolved. im sure he'd be the same in this situation as well. wish he would get in the room instead of jacobs being there all the time.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 06:33 PM
no1b4me

No on knows how unified the owners are with them being muzzled with fines.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:11 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

dolan hates the cap though, thinks he should be able to spend whatever he wants.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

With Dolan owning the TV rights to 3 NHL teams, do you think that has anything to do with it? He is paying a lot to the Devils and Islanders, so does he actually get a positive ROI from those deals or does he usually eat some loses? No season means not eating a loss, but then again he wanted these deals and I doubt it was so he could lose money.. They must have some benefit

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
With Dolan owning the TV rights to 3 NHL teams, do you think that has anything to do with it? He is paying a lot to the Devils and Islanders, so does he actually get a positive ROI from those deals or does he usually eat some loses? No season means not eating a loss, but then again he wanted these deals and I doubt it was so he could lose money.. They must have some benefit
He still makes a profit even with the Islanders and Devils included. Even though he did give the Islanders their deal, it's was a lot more complicated than it sounds.

11-25-2012, 08:34 PM
david999

The bottom line is these work stoppages has hurt the NHL. Even in Toronto there is a who cares attitude right now about the season resuming. Bettman has his own agenda that does not really help small market teams, but rather punishes the players and their association.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:28 AM
aqib

Quote:
Well part of the benefit is the they can charge extra to the Cablevision subscribers and to other cable systems (Time Warner, DirecTV, etc) to carry the networks that air the the games.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Nah, I don't buy this view at all.

There has been plenty of reports of how unified the owners are and how everyone is standing behind Bettman.

There is obvious atleast one exception, and I definitely doubt its just personal feud. If you stand to loose up towards 100m, and possibly alot more long term, I just think its incorrect to write it of as a personal feud.

Thats one thing. The other thing is that there is no reason whatsoever to expect Dolan to be alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
dolan hates the cap though, thinks he should be able to spend whatever he wants.
He has made alot of money due to the cap. I would be extremely suprised if he hated it. I think he would have benefitted a little from more flexibility, but I doubt he hates it per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I see Brook neglected to mention, what's behind Dolan's attempt to force Bettman out. Imagine a commissioner who's concerned with ALL the teams in his league,not just the big market ones

http://puckstopshere.blogspot.com/20...marketing.html

The dispute is related to marketing. The NHL feels it should have control over the promotions held by Madison Square Gardens relating to the New York Rangers. Specifically, the NHL says they should have control over the New York Rangers website nyrangers.com and other promotions.

The NHL has insisted that they should have control over the Rangers independently run website and turn it into the "cookie-cutter" websites of the other NHL teams that can be linked to from nhl.com. When the 2007 playoffs began, the Rangers began making New York Rangers merchandise available through the website instead of through a catalogue.

The problem is a symptom of the NHL CBA. If big markets grow their revenues, they lose a significant chunk of the extra money they produced to revenue sharing payments to keep the smaller market teams alive. Naturally, they are looking to find new revenue streams that are outside this restriction.

When big markets do grow their revenues, it increases the salary costs for the smaller markets, who may have problems paying them, since player salaries and NHL revenues are linked. Thus some of the small markets would be happy to see the biggest NHL markets revenues fall flat or even drop.
I very much doubt this is the case. Brooks is also a repoter in NY who got a better track on Dolan that just about anyone. Dolan stands to gain 1m per season and is risking loosing 100m+++++.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:48 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Are NYI and NJ Devil fans, still paying their cablevision bills?

Does Dolan still have those lucrative cable licenses on LI and in NJ?

http://www.examiner.com/article/hock...ss-not-a-sport
Toronto writers don't understand is just how much Dolan, who now owns the New York Rangers, needs the Islanders and how much Islanders owner Charles Wang needs Dolan's money. Dolan has two valuable assets that other cable competitors don't have on
Long Island. The Islanders contract through 2031 and News12, a local news operation that covers Nassau and
Suffolk county news. The Islanders are definitely a loss leader for Dolan but in the overall scheme of things, Dolan can walk into any town, village or city on the
Island when it comes to renewing his cable systems licenses and say what does Time Warner have locally, what does Comcast have locally? The answer is nothing, he has the Islanders and he has News12. The properties virtually assure Dolan of the renewals in the lucrative multiple cable systems operator business.

Dolan has the same set up in
New Jersey, a long term contract with Jeffrey Vanderbeek's Devils hockey team and News12. Dolan is a smart guy, much smarter than the Toronto writers looking at moving the Islanders to
Toronto.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:52 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Nah, I don't buy this view at all.

There has been plenty of reports of how unified the owners are and how everyone is standing behind Bettman.

There is obvious atleast one exception, and I definitely doubt its just personal feud. If you stand to loose up towards 100m, and possibly alot more long term, I just think its incorrect to write it of as a personal feud.

Thats one thing. The other thing is that there is no reason whatsoever to expect Dolan to be alone.

He has made alot of money due to the cap. I would be extremely suprised if he hated it. I think he would have benefitted a little from more flexibility, but I doubt he hates it per se.

I very much doubt this is the case. Brooks is also a repoter in NY who got a better track on Dolan that just about anyone. Dolan stands to gain 1m per season and is risking loosing 100m+++++.
I've been reading Brooks shilling for the Rangers, long before Dolan bought the team.

In a way, I kind of miss his articles like the one he wrote,suggesting the financially struggling Pens trade Mario(or was it Jagr?), to the NYR for a bunch of decent players and $17m in cash.

Brooks has been unhappy since the league went to a cap and stopped teams from sending cash in deals.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Mr Writer

too bad for the sport of hockey he wasn't successful.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Ari91

Who cares what Brooks said. There's no point in posting articles to 'prove' that owners aren't 100% unified. Aside from the league (which would unsurprisingly say so), who truly believes that every single owner is happy with how negotiations are going?

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 540
OP's quote from the article is taking it a bit out of context.

It's no secret the Rangers have had a fued with the league office. and it was nothing to do with Bettmans "insane approach".

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:56 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
too bad for the sport of hockey he wasn't successful.
no kidding.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Crease

Gotta agree with you here Cheswick.

Dolan was unabashed in his criticism of fellow NBA owners who prolonged the NBA lockout. It's likely he has the same position here. Regardless, the fact that he voted in favor of booting Bettman a couple years ago really doesn't say anything about Dolan's current stance on the NHL lockout or whether or not the owners remain unified against the NHLPA.

On an aside, I kind of admire Dolan's well-documented sass with the League Office. He's currently got KHL games broadcasting on his company's station. Dynamo on at 1 today actually.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Elever
Hth

Ah the long history of NYR vs the NHL.

It's a shame Bettman shut up any discontent when he came into office and made himself in charge of the owners rather than the other way around or we woulda gotten more entertainment from this feud.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Hockey Fan #751

That's interesting about Dolan.

The Leafs are owned by Bell/Rogers. They (Bell at least) want CBC's TV rights when they come up in 2014. They're going to play nice until this thing is over.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote