HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 01:30 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

vCash: 500

Looks great.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard VI View Post
Looks great.
Every Snyder flick does. That`s where it usually ends. I really hope it`ll be different this time around.

We need a good Superman movie for a change. Singer`s version was meh at best.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Went to a Reverend Horton Heat concert tonight, at a venue where my friend is the talent booker. Awesome experience, he really knows how to put on a great show, and I like his music too.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:17 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Old
12-12-2012, 03:50 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Band of Brothers is one of the best series I've ever watched. I have it on Blu-Ray and am waiting for a lull to start watching it over a week at a time. Now that Boardwalk is over and Homeland is nearly done, I'll probably do that to kill time until GoT returns.

The Pacific is not nearly as good. It tries to be but isn't. It follows three different people for just a few episodes if I recall correctly and doesn't establish that group story at all like BoB did. It's ok viewing but don't expect it to live up to BoB.

Red Tails sucked. Too bad too because it could and should have been a great movie but instead of focusing on the drama and taking a realistic shot at telling the story of courage and heroism it comes off as superficial, over actioned CGI sequences with only fleeting moments of drama. The characters are played as simplistic labels and the story picks right up with the squadron flying patrols way behind the line then ramps up to a quick "here you go, here's your shiny new P-51s and the next scene they're racking up kills galore with no effort". Oh our friend died when Goose hit the canopy I mean he got shot and crashed on the way home. Seriously, Top Gun had more drama and that was a flight jock movie.

I felt bad for the people who's story was supposed to be told here as it was a cheap interpretation of the real story and did no justice to the true struggle and heroism. This was closer to a Saturday morning cartoon version than a historical war drama.

you'll know that feel when you see the German airstrip attack they pull off and the long stare cheesy down between the German ace and the main character. Cause you know - it's easy to pick out a guy as you dodge flack and ground fire while strafing up and down the runway with explosions and secondaries going off and make eye contact and give him a big F U smirk as you buzz by at 100 feet going 350 mph.

In short, the entire movie either felt like a stalled conversation or a ragged Cliff Notes sprint to tell a 4 hour tale in 20 minutes. The pacing was almost as bad as the dialogue.

If you want to see a better version of the real story; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/
Yeah, after watching BoB, I feel as if I have to watch the Pacific. For some reason that part of the war is more interesting than the European theater. BoB was great from start to finish and it does make you start to care for the characters. Pretty awesome.

I hope they make an HBO series like BoB about the Vietnam War. I think that could be pretty good and I find that war extremely interesting. I know they made the series on the Marines in the First Gulf War, but I wasn't into it at all.

I figured Red Tails would be kind of lame, but now hearing it from so many people I deleted it off my dvr. It doesn't sound worth my time. They definitely could have made the story of the Tuskegee Airmen into a great movie. Thanks for the advice.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
I hope they make an HBO series like BoB about the Vietnam War. I think that could be pretty good and I find that war extremely interesting. I know they made the series on the Marines in the First Gulf War, but I wasn't into it at all.
They will eventually, but there are already many great films about Vietnam. Platoon, Apocalypse Now, and Full Metal Jacket spring to mind immediately.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:28 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
They will eventually, but there are already many great films about Vietnam. Platoon, Apocalypse Now, and Full Metal Jacket spring to mind immediately.
Yeah those are great but kind of old. There are so many different aspects they could do it on too. I think it has the ability to be great.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Just came back from the cinema. The Hobbit is definitely the best visual experience to date (far ahead of the likes of Avatar; although I`m curious to see what Gatsby has to offer) and not just because of 3D technology and/or high frame rate.

As a movie, it was pretty good. Hard to say if I would have done something else with it. I`ve never read the book so I`m not qualified to judge the material or the way they put it on screen. All I know is that it was beautiful and I can`t wait to see the second movie already. I almost wish it was a little bit longer, but that`s me.

Must see for everyone, not just fans.

P.S.: I went to see the 3D 48fps version. It was kinda weird. Everything moves much faster. As if you used the speed up effect (1.25 sec). Your eye should get used to that after 20 minutes, but your brain won`t and it "hits you in the eye" from time to time. It doesn`t really make a big difference when they walk or talk, but boy, does it affect the battle scenes. Makes them more chaotic. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Getzo5: 12-13-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

wow.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
wow.

He had a couple of great interludes/intros along with Backstreets (She's The One and Prove It All Night) during the '78 tour and he's played them a few times this tour

This one is by far my favorite:

Old
12-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
He had a couple of great interludes/intros along with Backstreets (She's The One and Prove It All Night) during the '78 tour and he's played them a few times this tour

This one is by far my favorite:

I wish I could go back in time and attend a concert from the 70's.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Anybody else thinks there should be an Odyssey movie with Sean Bean (were Troy`s numbers that bad or what?) instead of countless Clash of the Titans crappy remakes?

Old
12-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Nick0930

https://soundcloud.com/zachary-braff...here-out-there

Hoping they make a video for this like last year.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I prefer Band of Brothers because my grandpa was in Europe, and more specifically my great uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge.

But I don't get the criticism of the Pacific, nor do I see how it's "trying to be Band of Brothers". They focused on the three different characters because there were so many separate battles in that particular theater, and because the three men they chose are pretty well-known as far as veterans of the Pacific go.

Basilone was at Iwo Jima, whereas Leckie and Sledge weren't. Sledge was at Okinawa, whereas Basilone and Leckie weren't, and Leckie was at Cape Gloucester, whereas Basilone and Sledge weren't. Basilone and Leckie were at Guadalcanal, Sledge wasn't. Sledge and Leckie showed Peleliu while Basilone was home "selling bonds and nailing blondes". They did a great job of showing most of the major conflicts while still establishing relationships between each of the three and his squadmates.

They even shot it with a different sort of film to capture the bright colors of the Pacific, vs. the dull, dreary effects you got from BoB.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:00 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

RIP Jet Set

Old
12-19-2012, 10:27 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
https://soundcloud.com/zachary-braff...here-out-there

Hoping they make a video for this like last year.

hooch is crazy

Old
12-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Kshahdoo

Dancing Kovalchuk

Old
12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Been waiting for this trailer for a while. This I want to see.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
I prefer Band of Brothers because my grandpa was in Europe, and more specifically my great uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge.

But I don't get the criticism of the Pacific, nor do I see how it's "trying to be Band of Brothers". They focused on the three different characters because there were so many separate battles in that particular theater, and because the three men they chose are pretty well-known as far as veterans of the Pacific go.

Basilone was at Iwo Jima, whereas Leckie and Sledge weren't. Sledge was at Okinawa, whereas Basilone and Leckie weren't, and Leckie was at Cape Gloucester, whereas Basilone and Sledge weren't. Basilone and Leckie were at Guadalcanal, Sledge wasn't. Sledge and Leckie showed Peleliu while Basilone was home "selling bonds and nailing blondes". They did a great job of showing most of the major conflicts while still establishing relationships between each of the three and his squadmates.

They even shot it with a different sort of film to capture the bright colors of the Pacific, vs. the dull, dreary effects you got from BoB.
i went to high school with basilone's grandson or great grandson, can't remember which. he was a real nice guy, and exactly what you would expect from a descendent of a war hero. clean cut, smart, played linebacker, all-american kid that wanted to go into the navy.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

"Argo what? Argo **** yourself!"
"This is the best bad idea we have, sir."

Good job Affleck, you did it again.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post

TBH, I would only see this movie for Emma Watson. To me it just looks like another version of Pineapple Express, end 'o the world style.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
RIP Jet Set
I moisturized extra in his honor.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
hooch is crazy
He really is crazy.

Old
12-21-2012, 07:40 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post

YES!!

saw this last night, im super excited.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Any Gaslight Anthem fans here?

Closed Thread