HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I've been meaning to read Marty's book for like a year but still haven't.
I got halfway through the book a couple of years ago, but then I lost the book and forgot everything that was in it. Starting it back up now. It's pretty good so far, although there are a few boring historical parts in it, if you're into that.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
As far as sports autobiographies go, it's not very good. Most of it is pretty bland reading.

By far, the best one that I've read is Roy Keane's, "Keane: The Autobiography". Absolutely no holds barred.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I know it was essentially written by Damien Cox, but I figure it can't be that bad. I just haven't had the time.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
i really liked marty's. some cool insights.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Nick0930

I've got his book but have only read it when I'm waiting at the airport. Not much of a reader (I R stewpid). The last books I've read cover to cover are the Barney Stinson ones. Besides that, probably Call of the Wild back in high school.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

June 13th, 2014. Jurassic Park 4!

Old
01-12-2013, 12:37 AM
VaxjoDevil

Spent the evening watching Jackie Brown, I think for the fifth time. I think it is my favorite Tarantino movie.

The reference to The Graduate in the opening credits gets me every time. So brilliant.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

http://sophilalala.tumblr.com/post/4...nated-films-of

pretty accurate I`d say.

Loved Django and everything about it, as expected.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Saw Argo over the weekend, I thought it was fantastic. Affleck is really growing into a great director after The Town, and now this.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 635
Watched Sherlock Holmes II (whatever the title was) last night. Fun. Not quite as fun as the first one, but it was what I expected pretty much.

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Old
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

42 looks like a must see movie.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
FirmestPiano

How has Bryan Cranston not won a Golden Globe yet? Uhhh.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
Saw Argo over the weekend, I thought it was fantastic. Affleck is really growing into a great director after The Town, and now this.
He definitely deserved the GG award over Tarantino as much as I don`t like it. So did Jessica Chastain, who finally won a major award. She`s a very good actress and I hope she gets more recognition and appreciation in the next few years. Been a a huge fan of her since The Debt.

Also #TommyLeeJonesFace > #DregerFace.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
He definitely deserved the GG award over Tarantino as much as I don`t like it. So did Jessica Chastain, who finally won a major award. She`s a very good actress and I hope she gets more recognition and appreciation in the next few years. Been a a huge fan of her since The Debt.

Also #TommyLeeJonesFace > #DregerFace.
How so? I haven't seen Django yet (going saturday) but wasn't really that impressed with Argo. It was good but not nearly as great as I had hoped considering all the critical acclaim it has received. Certainly great directing though.

Love her! So classy and beautiful! Great actress too, saw her for the first time in The Help and since then she's had some really impressive acting performances. I'd say she's getting plenty of attention and appreciation now after the series of movies she's done. Shows when you look at all the nominations she's receiving. Will be interesting to see who wins best performance by an actress at the Oscars. Watts and Lawrence were terrific in their roles too.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

She deserves that and more.

As for Argo. The movie doesn`t necessarily have to catch your heart. From the director`s standpoint, it was a great piece. The award usually goes to the director of the best movie, which isn`t always the right approach. It`s why Tarantino won the best screenplay award, and deservingly so. But someone outclassed him in that other category. Django was almost flawless. Doesn`t mean it should recieve every award. Simply put, I`m just glad they did get this right, Affleck deserved it.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:53 PM
FirmestPiano

So you'd say you prefer Argo to Django in terms of directing and best movie?

Old
01-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
So you'd say you prefer Argo to Django in terms of directing and best movie?
1) Absolutely. The differene isn`t big, but it`s noticeable.
2) Of course not. Not in a billion years.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:00 PM
FirmestPiano

Ah I see. Was a little confused at first, thought you meant that Argo was the better movie as well, just wanted to make sure!

Old
01-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Nick0930

A Good Day to Die Hard is rated R. Yippee Ki Yay Mother****er!

Old
01-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Watched Sherlock Holmes II (whatever the title was) last night. Fun. Not quite as fun as the first one, but it was what I expected pretty much.
I thought it got way too silly when they showed the "battle of wits" between Holmes and Moriarty.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Anyone here watch Shameless?

If not, you should start.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 635
Quote:
I thought it got way too silly when they showed the "battle of wits" between Holmes and Moriarty.
Oh it was silly for sure but a cartoon-like silly, just like the first one though with all the perfect calculations. If it wasn't shot so well and have the perfect amount of special efx and great score, it would have sucked for sure.

I am critical as hell of movies that contradict themselves by going against the characters and reality they have established, but this adhered to the wacky universe it lived within.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
VaxjoDevil

Maybe I am crazy, but I loved Tommy Lee Jones sour face. Too bad it came during the only funny act that was actually funny, but whatever, I liked it anyway. The fake laughs for cameras during the show was so tiring to watch.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD

Old
01-15-2013, 02:13 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD

Can't say I'm a big fan of the song after the first 5-6 listens. Coheed has been my favorite band since their first album came out, so it's sad to say that they really aren't putting out great music anymore. Their last two albums have been pretty far away from the quality of the first four.

Rant incoming.

"Year of the Black Rainbow" was pretty poor. None of the hard songs had much substance aside from verses that they seemed to rush through as quickly as possible, in order to arrive at the giant sing-song choruses. The reason why their choruses resonated so much in previous albums was because of the more unconventional song structures that they used. When every song has a quick verse, LOUD AS **** CHORUS, quick verse, LOUD AS **** CHORUS, bridge, LOUD AS **** CHORUS, etc. - the songs seem empty and shallow. Not to mention that Claudio's lyrics took a pretty big hit.

On the "No World For Tomorrow" album, there were some pretty bad lyrics (Justice In Murder takes the cake) but YOTBR had some songs that were so ham-fisted in their lyrical approach that it was laughable. Most notably, "I'm a murderer, the worst these world have seen" in the song "In The Flame of Error." On top of that, Claudio's vocal lines were sort of rambling or aimless on many of the tracks. "When Skeletons Live" is the only song on the album that I really like - great instrumentals, well constructed verses to accentuate the chorus, and pretty solid vocals (although there are some off key notes that should have been fixed).

And the final criticism... The production was actually embarrassingly awful. It could be that there was a great album hidden under the 5 tons of distortion, but the instruments are so muddy that we'll never know unless someone completely revamps the entire production. The first time I heard the album, I had downloaded a FLAC (I still bought it) and thought that someone must have just upconverted a crappy ~128kbps mp3 and labeled it as FLAC, but when I got the real copy of the album it was just as bad. Sounds bad in my car, in my Sennheiser headphones, on my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers and on my stereo.

"The Afterman: Ascension" was pretty good for what it was - a very obvious rehashing of a bunch of different styles that they had success with in the past. It was certainly better than YOTBR and had a few memorable tracks (Goodnight Fair Lady, Evagria The Faithful, but nothing I would put up within the top 25 or so tracks that the band has done. I really wanted to love this album, but it seemed like even the best tracks were inferior versions of songs they had already made. "Goodnight Fair Lady" was played in the style of the vastly superior "Apollo" tracks from the "Good Apollo" album. "Subtraction" was the same acoustic + lo-fi electronica from "Pearl of the Stars." The production was acceptable though, so even on that merit alone, it's superior to YOTBR.

I have to post some of their greats now...

Time Consumer

Mother Superior

No World for Tomorrow

The Velourium Camper II: Backend of Forever

Closed Thread