HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I couldn't help but laugh during Lady Olenna's explanation of the Lannister/Tyrell family tree.

It's going to be a long two weeks...

I'm going back to watch some of season 1 and 2 again. S1 Ep 5,6,7 and S2 Ep 1,2 because they really get into some complicated plots that may be resurfacing here the next 2 episodes. Littlefinger really has a bigger web spun here than people realize I think.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
05-21-2013, 11:05 AM
B A T M A N
Risen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Yepp No Thrones. Instead HBO is premiering their new movie about Liberace.

Actually it is because it is the holiday weekend, and they don't want the ratings dip on what is most likely the big WHAM episode of the season (if they follow the previous season's trends as the penultimate episodes of the first two seasons were the big wham episodes...Ned's head and the Blackwater)
You aren't wrong. It is going to be the stand out episode. And I'm beyond pissed I have to wait another week. ARGHHHHHHHH.

Xbox's press conference is on in an hour. Anybody else tuning in?

Old
05-21-2013, 12:11 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Xbox One looks ****ing sick.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
Xbox One looks ****ing sick.
Details please....

Release date? Price point? Titles revealed?

Old
05-21-2013, 12:29 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

None of that has been revealed yet. They're talking about the features of it so far. But they've shown the console, the controller and the new Kinect.

No games have been revealed, but they're starting to show some EA Sports stuff now. Apparently Microsoft and EA have a partnership that they'll go into details in the coming months.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
None of that has been revealed yet. They're talking about the features of it so far. But they've shown the console, the controller and the new Kinect.

No games have been revealed, but they're starting to show some EA Sports stuff now. Apparently Microsoft and EA have a partnership that they'll go into details in the coming months.
Is it expected to be a 2013 Christmas release or is it 2014?

Also, the Kinect was terrible so I hope they brought something good to the table for the new one.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Nick0930

The third Xbox is named Xbox One...

Makes sense.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:35 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Wow. They're adding human-like intelligence with their 'True Player Motion'.
And they just said FIFA 14 is exclusive to Xbox One. Now they're showing sports games. They look INCREDIBLE.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post

I'm going back to watch some of season 1 and 2 again. S1 Ep 5,6,7 and S2 Ep 1,2 because they really get into some complicated plots that may be resurfacing here the next 2 episodes. Littlefinger really has a bigger web spun here than people realize I think.
Shhhhh.... Don't lead my mind in a direction it wasn't going!

Old
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Wow. They're adding human-like intelligence with their 'True Player Motion'.
And they just said FIFA 14 is exclusive to Xbox One. Now they're showing sports games. They look INCREDIBLE.
Yeah.... no. Fifa 14 has already been announced for ps3/xbox 360, so that's clearly false. Maybe a specific version or a specific feature is exclusive to Xbox One. But the game is not exclusive to that system. You think EA is going to so willingly turn away half of their revenue (probably even more than half) on one of their biggest sports titles? Especially for a game that traditionally comes out in September/October, which in all likelihood, should be at least one month before the release of this system? That would be somewhere near the dumbest move EA Sports could ever make.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Nick0930

Call of Duty finally got with the times.

Still not gonna buy it.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:18 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Yeah.... no. Fifa 14 has already been announced for ps3/xbox 360, so that's clearly false. Maybe a specific version or a specific feature is exclusive to Xbox One. But the game is not exclusive to that system. You think EA is going to so willingly turn away half of their revenue (probably even more than half) on one of their biggest sports titles? Especially for a game that traditionally comes out in September/October, which in all likelihood, should be at least one month before the release of this system? That would be somewhere near the dumbest move EA Sports could ever make.
I think it was their Ultimate Team or whatever that will be exclusive. What do I know though? I don't care about FIFA or sports games in general. They're all so primitive. But at least they look a little more realistic now. It looks like players may actually be more than 95 overall so can shoot puck/ball this hard/fast etc. Thank god. That is really archaic technology.

Release date is only known as "sometime later this year." Which can loosely be based as Holiday '13. Good stuff.

They also showed that Steven Spielberg is doing a Halo Live Action series. This conference was really more than games. It looks like the Xbox One really is going to be an All In One system. Completely blew away PS4's conference in my opinion.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:24 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

I also like how they talked about how the Xbox Live service will be better than ever, but HEAVILY implying that it will still cost money. Of course. But we expected that, didn't we? No mention of 'always online' though, not from what I noticed.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Nick0930

Quote:
I think it was their Ultimate Team or whatever that will be exclusive. What do I know though? I don't care about FIFA or sports games in general. They're all so primitive. But at least they look a little more realistic now. It looks like players may actually be more than 95 overall so can shoot puck/ball this hard/fast etc. Thank god. That is really archaic technology.

Release date is only known as "sometime later this year." Which can loosely be based as Holiday '13. Good stuff.

They also showed that Steven Spielberg is doing a Halo Live Action series. This conference was really more than games. It looks like the Xbox One really is going to be an All In One system. Completely blew away PS4's conference in my opinion.
Hardcore gamers would mostly say the PS4's was better.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

I love the dust capturing ridges design feature on the entire right side of the system. the understated, almost generic appearing controller. brilliant.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Scott04

Quote:

I highly doubt the Ultimate Team mode would be exclusive to a specific system also. Especially since its an existing game mode which generates additional money for them via DLC. Again, maybe some new mode/feature will be exclusive (if anything), but nothing already existing. They are NOT going to turn off an existing revenue source for this system. Its just not happening.

And the sports games are already far more realistic and balanced than you're giving them credit for being. You can't say you don't care for/don't play a type of game, say that they finally look like they're getting somewhere, and call them archaic when you know nothing of their functionality, the series of improvements that have been made over the years, and are merely speculating about the performance and responsiveness moving forward. You're out of your element, Donny.

All of these systems have been advertised as "all-in-one" consoles for the last few years now, and that is nowhere near groundbreaking. They're making them more into PCs, which have been around for a while now. And this is the attitude that has been killing gaming for the last few years. Everything is targeted for all in one usage, but at a limited functionality as compared to those same features on other devices (cell phones, PCs, etc). They are designed to appeal to the casual gamer, not the gamer that will stick with these systems and actually stick with it. As with all conferences these days (console reveals, E3, etc), this was not about the games at all. Hell, it wasn't even totally about the hardware. It was about common services that are integrated into every single device and are no longer considered innovative. Merely enhanced versions and nothing more. These systems are supposed to be about the games. They're video game systems. If you're buying an Xbox or a playstation to use skype, check your fantasy basketball team, and watch netflix... you're buying the wrong equipment.

And if you're going to say this blew the PS4 conference out of the water you are showing an absurd level of bias. Both conferences did the same thing: they talked about hardware specs (although microsoft showed the physical console) briefly, they spent too much time talking about entertainment and secondary software capability. They mentioned a little about games, but not much in terms of exclusives or things that separates it from other systems (an EA Sports feature is useless as those same games will be on PS4, PC, Wii U, and on handhelds in some form). They give a very loose release date. They give no indication on price. No indication about different versions (be it hard drive space differences, varying features, etc). Few ideas about release titles. Both conferences were largely incompletely, had a questionable focus, and were over glorified teasers.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:33 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 50
meh. unimpressed on the whole. as gimmick-ridden as I expected. but then nothing was ever gonna pull me away from PC gaming. only own a 360 for NHL

Old
05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

Quote:
I highly doubt the Ultimate Team mode would be exclusive to a specific system also. Especially since its an existing game mode which generates additional money for them via DLC. Again, maybe some new mode/feature will be exclusive (if anything), but nothing already existing. They are NOT going to turn off an existing revenue source for this system. Its just not happening.

And the sports games are already far more realistic and balanced than you're giving them credit for being. You can't say you don't care for/don't play a type of game, say that they finally look like they're getting somewhere, and call them archaic when you know nothing of their functionality, the series of improvements that have been made over the years, and are merely speculating about the performance and responsiveness moving forward. You're out of your element, Donny.

All of these systems have been advertised as "all-in-one" consoles for the last few years now, and that is nowhere near groundbreaking. They're making them more into PCs, which have been around for a while now. And this is the attitude that has been killing gaming for the last few years. Everything is targeted for all in one usage, but at a limited functionality as compared to those same features on other devices (cell phones, PCs, etc). They are designed to appeal to the casual gamer, not the gamer that will stick with these systems and actually stick with it. As with all conferences these days (console reveals, E3, etc), this was not about the games at all. Hell, it wasn't even totally about the hardware. It was about common services that are integrated into every single device and are no longer considered innovative. Merely enhanced versions and nothing more. These systems are supposed to be about the games. They're video game systems. If you're buying an Xbox or a playstation to use skype, check your fantasy basketball team, and watch netflix... you're buying the wrong equipment.

And if you're going to say this blew the PS4 conference out of the water you are showing an absurd level of bias. Both conferences did the same thing: they talked about hardware specs (although microsoft showed the physical console) briefly, they spent too much time talking about entertainment and secondary software capability. They mentioned a little about games, but not much in terms of exclusives or things that separates it from other systems (an EA Sports feature is useless as those same games will be on PS4, PC, Wii U, and on handhelds in some form). They give a very loose release date. They give no indication on price. No indication about different versions (be it hard drive space differences, varying features, etc). Few ideas about release titles. Both conferences were largely incompletely, had a questionable focus, and were over glorified teasers.
I think Microsoft and Sony are very much attempting to transform the customer's mindset about this bolded part. They've moved the ball quite a bit in this regard with the last generation of each console. I never would have considered using my game system as a primary path to watching movies, tv shows, or subscribing to sports packages via streaming before - now it seems a normal outlet just like PPV on a cable box or satellite system. You may come for the games, but they really want you to stay for the all-purpose entertainment functionality. The web surfing abilities are far inferior right now, but if they come up with a fast and slick interface they might win over some of us who are tired of firing up the pc just to check email and surf. Maybe.

Will this generation of consoles be the first to truly adopt the primary mode of gaming purchases to be downloaded rather than disc based? I think it's almost there.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I think Microsoft and Sony are very much attempting to transform the customer's mindset about this bolded part. They've moved the ball quite a bit in this regard with the last generation of each console. I never would have considered using my game system as a primary path to watching movies, tv shows, or subscribing to sports packages via streaming before - now it seems a normal outlet just like PPV on a cable box or satellite system. You may come for the games, but they really want you to stay for the all-purpose entertainment functionality. The web surfing abilities are far inferior right now, but if they come up with a fast and slick interface they might win over some of us who are tired of firing up the pc just to check email and surf. Maybe.

Will this generation of consoles be the first to truly adopt the primary mode of gaming purchases to be downloaded rather than disc based? I think it's almost there.
I agree with you about the importance of HAVING these features. I just don't think they're worthy of being such a focal point in these reveal conferences, or in big conferences such as E3. If this was the first time they were included in the systems, then I agree. But they were very present and very visible (and talked about excessively) in the last generation. I never really intended using netflix on my ps3 to the extent I do when I got the system, although that's also a product of me switching to netflix streaming, which wasn't always present in their service. Regardless, these are "added features" for these systems, and what should get additional use for the system and add longevity to its life. It still shouldn't be the selling point. And it shouldn't be touted as being nearly as innovative as they claim. That's what frustrates me about it. Not the inclusion of all of these features. But they way they tout them, given their presence in the last generation and many other electronics.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Devils731

I've found myself, surprisingly, using my Xbox fairly frequently in the last few months to watch Youtube on my TV.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:56 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Quote:

This is the second time you've gotten defensive. Obviously the only one showing bias here is you. Am I a loyal Microsoft user? Yes, I am. But I'm also OPEN MINDED. And my opinion on which console to win me over was up for grabs for both consoles. I gave them both fair chances. Sony hasn't even revealed its specs yet. They went too heavy with what games they have. When most of those games will end up on Xbox One to begin with.

Xbox One didn't need to focus on games. They focused on the power of the CONSOLE. The new TECHNOLOGY. Which is what we want to hear. Yes, these consoles are, to laymen terms, just gaming consoles, but the way we use technology has evolved. And continues to evolve. Microsoft is taking advantage of that, appealing to an audience that goes beyond JUST gamers. If that offends you in some way, that's your opinion, and that's fine.

Also, just a statistic, the Xbox 360 was a MASSIVE success over the Playstation 3. Not in exclusives rendered, but in total units sold and money garnered. I'm sure you're already gearing up your angry biased response. "RAH RAH RAH PSN IS FREE **** MICROSOFT FOR MAKING A SERVICE THAT COSTS MONEY. THEY CARE ABOUT NOTHING BUT MONEY BLAH BLAH BLAH." They do care about money. What successful business doesn't? Do you care about money? If not, please, show us all by making a video of you burning your entire life's savings. Didn't think so. Moving on. Microsoft has achieved powerhouse partners with big publishers, and that is most likely going to continue, going forward. Not because these companies want to maximize their profit by making their silly little game available on Xbox One, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii-U, Xbox 360, Playstation Vita, Nintendo 3DS, and so on, but because they know that the Xbox 360 was the most popular console of its generation.

Last edited by Richer's Ghost: 05-21-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: completely over the top
Old
05-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Nick0930

Quote:

Also, just a statistic, the Xbox 360 was a MASSIVE success over the Playstation 3. Not in exclusives rendered, but in total units sold and money garnered.
Actually, the PS3 will likely pass the 360 in sales by this summer, despite coming out a year later.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:48 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

whats this crap we have to pay a fee to play a used game on the xbox one? and this kinnect thing has to be always connected?

Old
05-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Nick0930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
whats this crap we have to pay a fee to play a used game on the xbox one?
I think (hope) it's just what EA has been doing and charging 10 bucks to play a used game online.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:05 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
I think (hope) it's just what EA has been doing and charging 10 bucks to play a used game online.
it just says we have to pay a fee to install a used game, so I'm guessing it has nothing to do with playing the game online?
great... I can imagine EA charging us another fee on top of the installation fee just to play it online

this will probably kill the used game market unless Sony lets us play used games without any fees on the ps4

Closed Thread